Forum › Posts by Grail

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Realistically, dragging Elsa around the school for nearly 30 minutes would've been a better distraction for her. Being inside a restroom and told to hold it in for 30 minutes is actually the yabe part.

I am almost certain there is a person or a will behind this villainess system at this point.

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Reading through the Dynasty forum posts is always... quite a... something. It's good and bad honestly. Shame I didn't find this sooner.

I am boggled by the camp of people who found the first chapter cliche. So what other titles did they read that also have this same premise? I want to see and dissect those stories with my limited repertoire of tools. I am quite invested in the first chapter because wow, that classroom bullshit, that is any student's worst nightmares unless they have the mental fortitude of a very very well developed adult. And frankly, it's going to take a lot of charisma and good communications skills to dig yourself out of that social hot mess to the point that it seems even less probable. The dude that got punched? Look, I don't get good vibes when people call anything 'pitiful.' Beyond saying 'pitiful,' were anything done after that to address the problem? No? Then it was all just lip service designed for whoever said them to feel good about themselves. Granted dude was decked in the face shortly after, so we could say all this -should've would've- been different. And none of that really matters becauseeeeee the girl is still going to get ostracized. The school would penalize her because lol Japanese school system despite the class just covering a lesson on LGBT before the incident. Which is just a thing to cover the school's butt rather than to seriously educate or consider any students who might actually be LGBT. Considering Ayu was suspended two weeks from school where she barely remember anything around that, I have to make the assumption that no educator of any kind attempt to address what Ayu went through. My guess was she was punished for punching the dude and making a scene rather than addressing what led to that step. The school and her own parents tried to sweep her personal 'issues' under the rug because she was different from the perceived norms. My own family do it all the time when I behave out of their expected reality: except mine was a case of extroverts vs introverts usually. "It's YOUR problem, not our problem. Therefore YOU should change" sort of thing. That's hardly out of the ordinary, that can and still happen. Saying it's unrealistic just means the speaker is from a very fortunate background and never had to experience the fuckeries of this shitty world we live in. You are lucky, but please expand your world view more.

The first chapter felt more like a jab at the general populace's potential reactions if they were to find out that their daughter/son/classmate/whatever is actually LGBT+. See here: https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/making_progress_on_yuri_before_the_deadline_ch01#17. It's almost irrelevant how all the specifics for the classroom scenario played out. All of that buildup is to draw readers in, putting themselves in Ayu's shoes if the scenario is working as intended. It's the result that mattered. The inciting incident is precisely because there was a lesson that talks about LGBT+. So Ayu had the naïve assumption that this might be a good opportunity to come out to the backstabbing bitches. Which eventually led to the hot mess that got her out of that backwater shithole and to Tokyo.

So this is a slight tangent, but back in high school my classroom was doing a talk on psychology and fears. The topic was mainly if you would do x for a very large sum of money. Some classmates were ok with being naked on the street for the money. I would chicken out everything. The one thing that nobody would go for was "if you would move to a foreign place and break off contact with everything from your past life." Nobody went for that. The fear was too great. I am bringing up this tangent because by golly, this is a really rough situation to be in. There are virtually no other options left except to flee to a foreign place with basically the burning fire in your stomach and whatever else that propelled you. That shit can fizzle out really fast. For us it's literally in the blink of an eye, but if you put yourself in Ayu's shoes you will need to go through all these boring, annoying steps of getting from point A to B. There's a lot of thinking time and other things in between to douse that fire. It's not a casual romp to the local supermarket, it's a journey with a grim and possibly hopeless purpose. It takes a lot of determination and gust for her to actually arrive at Tokyo. That's really commendable. I am almost sad that it was glossed over like that but it's a manga, first chapter, the author didn't intend it to be so angst driven at the start, etc. So I won't hold it against them. I had gone through similar process before and whatever mental trainwreck was occurring in my brain was not pretty. This shit hit way too close to home for me.

Chapter 3's Input... There are some very valid points, I am also incredibly input driven (to the point that it annoys me).... But please don't bullshit Ayu if you are trying to slack. Good on Ayu to check in with Miya.

This series seems really solid. If possible I would like to check out the original novel... If I can actually read Japanese or find Chinese translations...

Grail
Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

What a smooth criminal this JK is

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Ultraman, but from the land of water and comedians.

Such a shame. It had an interesting premise.

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Truly the textbook example of idiot couple and UsELEss lesbians.

Lord almighty 5 years. WTF ...

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Squeak squeak squeak and various other rubber sounds are all I can imagine when she whipped out that floaty thing.

Sounds of 2 balloons rubbing against each other

Stop it brain.

I know comedic routines are about all I can expect out of this, but I'm still interested in seeing what possible ethical and moral issues this online meetup might bring up.

Grail
Image Comments 15 Jan 07:10
Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017
Gooreum1403-1481738867825078272-img1

A call back to a Kiara and Kroni collab where Kiara asked for a sexy Korean sentence that would make people think she speaks Korean for real. According to Kroni the sentence she's teaching Kiara is the Korean equivalent of "Netflix and chill," the literal verbatim translation is "want to come over to my house for ramen." Said sentence: 라면 먹고 갈래

Original stream from Kroni's perspective: https://youtu.be/GLYJiDDa2Bg
Top comment has the time stamp

last edited at Jan 15, 2022 7:21AM

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

i suppose there are worse ways to kickstart this love comedy. If you are broke ass all the time, how do you pay off your debt to your friend? Teach was thinking something like manual labor without thinking beyond that. Which is... obviously his shtick if we look at his patterns so far in just the first chapter: eats junk food, spends all his money on gacha addiction, asking his student to roll gacha for him, smokes in school, plays gacha game in school, list goes on. Consequences of me action, wot?

IMO, that body debt hook felt just a tad forced. The confession just went POP here I am! A bit more builtup would've felt more natural. The inciting trigger being the "oh it must be the ikemen who endorsed the candy that you like" is.... ok? It somehow went from that to "pay off your debt with your body"... Heck of a leap isn't it? Look, borrowed gacha luck debt can lead to that sort of thing and I had seen the pay off worked in that other case, but here, it's lolwtf. Eh. Logic and love comedy. What do I know. Let's see how the teach handle this in the next few chapters first.

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

How unfortunate this series only showed up on the radar so late. Better late than never at least. Thanks front page random chapter!

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Superchat NTR? Nonsense. You are telling me you don't superchat multiple vtubers?

Grail
Image Comments 04 Jan 08:29
Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017
Fractal_flare-1474789031946850305-img1

IRyS had an impromptu Minecraft collab with Bae today where they also reacted to these lovely fanfictions on stream. You can look up IRyS' 【MINECRAFT】HAHA Minecraft w/ Bae stream. It's nearly an hour long of fanfict react. Time stamp starts around 1 hour 42 minutes in.

Grail
Image Comments 03 Jan 08:07
Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017
Yu_tsugirls-1460605134308724741-img1

Kindred Spirits was among the first batch of 'adult' games that were released on Steam. It was honestly quite the big news back then. There were some discussions among the industry people about Steam's pants-on-head-stupid policy regarding putting slightly adult themed games on their platform. The talk back then was that despite KS being very, very light on those so called adult situations (Titanic probably showed more than Kindred Spirits); Steam was still giving the publisher a lot of go around for a dang long time despite the publisher directly asking Steam what they needed to do to get it approved. So any games that were perceived to be "those kind" of adult games are still given a rather hard time to be put on Steam. Yes, present tense. Some are just outright DENIED for ??? reasons. Still present tense. Some of the VN from that period had all ages version PERIOD with no adult patches available at all until much later. For example G-senjou no Maou/The Devil on G-String, which is not a yuri title, was censored on steam and came out in late 2015. The adult patch was not available anywhere until 2019 or 2020 according to a steam forum post. Said patch is only available on the publisher's website Denpasoft. Another VN example is Song of Saya, censored version on Steam. Adult patch can only be purchased from JAST.

Basically VN might be auto censored on the developer/publisher's end to get around Steam's weird acceptance policy. Even in 2021 when I buy VN with actual adult themes in it, chances are there's a separate adult patch either on Steam or off site. This applies to western VN as well. Meanwhile downright hentai games are just... released as is usually. Steam is flippin' weird. Shovelware garbage titles get approved for much less...

If you are looking to purchase VN on Steam, based on pricing it's actually better if you just buy the uncensored version directly from the publisher's website if it's one of those titles with paid adult DLC. Although if you are just interested in trying out a VN to see if it's your cuppa, use Steam version to demo for -2 hours. Keep in mind that because of Steam's lack of transparent acceptance policy, potential yuri titles may also be outright rejected on steam despite being an all age title. I still don't understand why The Curse of Kudan is not on steam.

last edited at Jan 3, 2022 8:19AM

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

That page cropping. It's Mami all over again

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

A certain horny pirate on lewd art: LET ME IN! LET ME INNNNNNNN! WHY WOULD YOU BLOCK ME!?

Grail
Image Comments 18 Dec 05:59
Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017
Ameiarts-1471166689861533698-img1

It's Finana, she marries and divorces very freely. Wasn't Petra divorced by Finana in the same birthday stream? Later in said stream she also said she'll marry Petra back after Petra got friend zoned hard by Selen.

Rosemi did say she feels pretty close with Selen to the degree that her tone with Selen is basically the one reserved for close friends. I think that may have gotten clipped? Selen to Rosemi I am unsure.

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Interesting dynamics between the two for sure. There's a good contrast between someone who knows exactly what they want vs someone who's still figuring shit out as it goes. It's a good angle to explore. But I am unhappy with Risa's attitude towards Yuka when she shows clear signs of unease and jealously towards this open relationship uncertainty. Seriously, your GF is clearly unhappy about this but your reaction is "awwww she's cute let me bully and frustrate her some more teehee." I'm given the idea that Risa is the one in control more in this relationship and she knows how to misuse it. It's not exactly malicious but it just feels douchey. Yes why drop the key bit that could ease your partner's misgivings immediately when you could have hot sex right now.

I'm vaguely interested in Risa's thought process, but ending it like this is fine as well.

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Oh the translator is just going to love anime from the 80s. English. Random bits of English in anime OP and ED everywhere letsgoooooooo. It was some wild times. I still like to rewatch Cat's Eye OP and ED now and then.

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Is the address for the web novel correct? It says the book doesn't exist or didn't pass (governmental?) inspection

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Tag suggestions:
Check comments
Trigger warning
Tragedy
What the fuck am I reading
Gut Punch
Dark
Death
Check your author
Violence

Instead of Drama, Violence feels more fitting considering protag straight up murdered someone. Seconding for better tags. I'm jaded and cynical, but not everyone likes these kind of surprises. Call me a special snowflake or whatever^, but I rather have the tags properly reflect what kind of story people are expecting to read at the expense of potential spoilers. Surely we have enough words available in the dictionary to tag this without ruining people's spoiler expectations. Drama is such a vague catch all tag that it tells absolutely nothing of value, because at most people expected typical schoolgirl angsts, not outright psychopath behavior.

^If you need to insult people to make a point, then your points are worth very little and therefore not worth reading anyway.

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Post 2 because post 1 was already long enough. And I guess I still need to say something about chuunibyou vampire

I did say this was heavily colored by personal experience and past works I've seen. My first impression was genuinely: "there's an edgy teen standing at high place with a hoodie talking about blood" Brain cues scenes from the anime series Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions. Brain looks at Kingdom Hearts design and a fancomic joke about hoodie people of Organization XIII. Brain concludes "ayep, that's a wannabe chunibyo" based on the presented evidence. The scene will undoubtedly read differently for other people. But for me, underscore, italic, bold, emphasize "ME", it's a chunibyou vampire. This is my subjective opinion. 100%. Organic. Raisied on a free range farm. FDA unapproved yet.

last edited at Jun 13, 2020 8:39PM

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Perma ban me over this for disagreeing with a few people? Eh. I saw something I disagree with, I feel like I need to speak up is all. Was I overly hostile? I was miffed yeah. But I still tried to keep it as coherent and semi neutral as I can. Some people voice some dissatisfaction with Neji and there's this dogpile just standing by waiting. That's what my gut was saying. I wrote 2 posts that were of more than average post length, and from my interpretation, the faction of "I dislike long posters" jump on me and try to, from my perspective, undermine my points with rather flimsy rebuttals and borderline insults.

StarDress write a semi long post. That person gets called a nerd. And then followed up by someone saying "not the best place to look for realism."

Yeah, pretty tame stuff. Then look at my posts' followups.
"Don't read stuff you don't like." But how do I know if I don't like it I don't read it? My follow up post also addresses the need to explore a fictional work, however well or badly that came across to some people.
"You sound like you've never read manga with all that rambling." That meant to be an insult? Like. Omg. Lol?

"criticisms are needed for people to learn from their mistakes."

I really doubt many mangaka are reading these forums for your pearls of critical wisdom.

Would be hilarious if they do. Doesn't mean I won't try to understand what works for a fictional work or doesn't.

"I feel like some peoples on the forum has a nasty habit to overthink and overanalys fluffy manga,"

So why the hostility? Does that mean there's a need to intentionally segregate people into two groups? This me vs them camp? This isn't the first instance where I see a poster wants to separate readers into two groups, the "normal" vs the "nerds/some other label." Why is it nasty to overthink and overanalyze? Why did you say nasty? What's so nasty about it? Which part of someone else thinking and analyzing does it make you uncomfortable and ruins your day? Why is nasty such a dirty, icky word? Why is it wrong to try to explore what works and what don't? I WANT to hear what people have to say about someone's work, that's why I check the forum. If I just want an echo chamber of "oh this thing is AMAZING!" then there's no point at all in me even making an account and writing.

A forum is still the place for discussion. I wish to discuss what I think about the relevant subject with other users and hear what they also have to say. Sometimes discourse happens. But you can't find new ideas in an echo chamber. That's pointless. And then there's this almost active attempt to suppress people with a slightly different opinion than the general public. I'm not ok with that. That's why I write long pieces to try to voice my opinions and reasoning in as coherent a fashion as possible. Then some people comes in and go: "Lol, tldr. insert vague insult" How... productive?

If mods want to give me a stern talking to and whatnot in private or mute me in public, there's my discord handle Grail#6733 and...here?

Am I rocking the boat? I don't know. I have questions. Genuine, burning questions I want to know the answer to. And I want to ask these questions... uh... screen to screen? Are my questions somehow disruptive or a detriment to the topic on hand? Are they offensive? If my sin is 'only' becuase I write too much and looking at things too closely, then there's really no common grounds for a proper dialogue. If it's my smelly attitude, ok, we have something I can work on. If my questions were somehow insulting, then I need to learn to voice myself better and be a better person. If it's about me writing shorter things and getting to the point, you'll have to show me an example of what's proper.

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Mental illness? Being a bitch isn't a mental illness.

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Why should manga get a free pass? It sounds like the sentiment any typical conservative parents who don't understand anything about what their children are watching. "Eh. It's just some dumb silly cartoons/weird Japanese shit/devil's music. In my generation, -yadayadayada-" What is this argument of "if you don't like it don't read it." Why shouldn't I examine any fictional work to find out how to make it work or not work? How dare people have opinions that are different from yours. If I want to articulate and make my point, I get labeled "those other types of people" or get called gasp, a nerd. Wowie. What does that serve? Does labeling me differently, a herectic, make you feel better? Hey, let's look down on another person because "aw, what a sad newb who must be new to manga." Does that lessen any point I made? No. You just sound like an ass who likes to pretend to be superior. If you need to try to setup the other party as "inferior" or "inexperienced," I can't help but think you got some weird complex going on.

I'm calling shenanigan when I see it. This type of attitude doesn't help with a healthy discussion of any types of work. This is still a forum, we're allowed to discuss why we like and don't like. I think it is of grave importance to examine anything we like and don't about a work. It's pointless to just sing praises all the time. It's also necessary to embrace and address the faults in any works. Criticisms are necessary. There seems to be this weird vibe of: "Criticisms are just some mean things meanie people say to made people feel bad." No, criticisms are needed for people to learn from their mistakes. We shouldn't close ourselves off from what's perceived as negative just because it makes us feel bad. Constructive criticisms are necessary. Slander and pointless insult, now that's meaningless.

Vampire as a theme should give any author a lot of good things to work with. I find the bite scene, where in most other fictional works, is the really juicy and delicious bit where any author can really entice the reader with whatever they are going for. This certainly isn't the only vampire themed yuri work here: VAMPEERZ, quite a bit of Takano Saku's works (technically not tagged as vampire, but she has a thing for sucking on things,) Seifuku no Vampiress. I was certainly excited to see another work with vampire tag, but so far it just lacks that big punch. It was just such a wasted potential it hurts me.

To address the chuunibyou vampire, this one has a lot of personal experience colored by past works. Plopping a mysterious figure on a tall building overlooking the city, complete with The Hoodie, now finish it with some cryptic statements. OoOoh, how MYSTERIOUS! There are ways to setup that particular scene to be impactful, but it felt pretty silly in this instance. Turns out the character is a goof herself, so maybe that's warranted.

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Eh... That setup. It did move Sanic Fast. Love at first sight.... mkay, maybe the blood loss did affect personal judgment significantly.

Having fantasy themes =/= ditching realism. By this train of logic, any fictional work doesn't deserve critique because "oh, they are fake." If you want a story to keep the audience interested, it needs to follow some semblance of rules. Be it tropes, common sense, gravity, taboos, whatever. Though the main issues I have with Neji's works tends to be her overall pacing. The ridiculously convenient setup of a chuunibyou vampire in a hoodie, conveniently collapsed vampire found by prey, vampire-chan go "sowwwrryyyyy uwu", said prey's love at first sight. Lol what? The scene where the vampire sucks blood? That's a perfect place to explore all sorts of things. Do you want to depict it as a very sexual thing? Do you want to depict it as a terrible act of EVIL and the effect it has on the victim? How does this experience have an impact on the victim while she's being sucked? No, Neji's just gonna do a black screen with a uwu vampire apologizing instead. Because accidentally sucking someone to the point of anemia isn't actually a big deal at all. Huuuuuuuh? C'mon. You got a freaking vampire, surely you can do more than that.

Grail
Image Comments 09 Jun 20:28
Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017
Dzkxwayuwaacvgu-orig

Touch fluffy tails