Trigger warning
Tragedy
What the fuck am I reading
Gut Punch
Dark
Death
Check your author
Violence

Instead of Drama, Violence feels more fitting considering protag straight up murdered someone. Seconding for better tags. I'm jaded and cynical, but not everyone likes these kind of surprises. Call me a special snowflake or whatever^, but I rather have the tags properly reflect what kind of story people are expecting to read at the expense of potential spoilers. Surely we have enough words available in the dictionary to tag this without ruining people's spoiler expectations. Drama is such a vague catch all tag that it tells absolutely nothing of value, because at most people expected typical schoolgirl angsts, not outright psychopath behavior.

^If you need to insult people to make a point, then your points are worth very little and therefore not worth reading anyway.

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Post 2 because post 1 was already long enough. And I guess I still need to say something about chuunibyou vampire

I did say this was heavily colored by personal experience and past works I've seen. My first impression was genuinely: "there's an edgy teen standing at high place with a hoodie talking about blood" Brain cues scenes from the anime series Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions. Brain looks at Kingdom Hearts design and a fancomic joke about hoodie people of Organization XIII. Brain concludes "ayep, that's a wannabe chunibyo" based on the presented evidence. The scene will undoubtedly read differently for other people. But for me, underscore, italic, bold, emphasize "ME", it's a chunibyou vampire. This is my subjective opinion. 100%. Organic. Raisied on a free range farm. FDA unapproved yet.

last edited at Jun 13, 2020 8:39PM

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Perma ban me over this for disagreeing with a few people? Eh. I saw something I disagree with, I feel like I need to speak up is all. Was I overly hostile? I was miffed yeah. But I still tried to keep it as coherent and semi neutral as I can. Some people voice some dissatisfaction with Neji and there's this dogpile just standing by waiting. That's what my gut was saying. I wrote 2 posts that were of more than average post length, and from my interpretation, the faction of "I dislike long posters" jump on me and try to, from my perspective, undermine my points with rather flimsy rebuttals and borderline insults.

StarDress write a semi long post. That person gets called a nerd. And then followed up by someone saying "not the best place to look for realism."

Yeah, pretty tame stuff. Then look at my posts' followups.
"Don't read stuff you don't like." But how do I know if I don't like it I don't read it? My follow up post also addresses the need to explore a fictional work, however well or badly that came across to some people.
"You sound like you've never read manga with all that rambling." That meant to be an insult? Like. Omg. Lol?

"criticisms are needed for people to learn from their mistakes."

I really doubt many mangaka are reading these forums for your pearls of critical wisdom.

Would be hilarious if they do. Doesn't mean I won't try to understand what works for a fictional work or doesn't.

"I feel like some peoples on the forum has a nasty habit to overthink and overanalys fluffy manga,"

So why the hostility? Does that mean there's a need to intentionally segregate people into two groups? This me vs them camp? This isn't the first instance where I see a poster wants to separate readers into two groups, the "normal" vs the "nerds/some other label." Why is it nasty to overthink and overanalyze? Why did you say nasty? What's so nasty about it? Which part of someone else thinking and analyzing does it make you uncomfortable and ruins your day? Why is nasty such a dirty, icky word? Why is it wrong to try to explore what works and what don't? I WANT to hear what people have to say about someone's work, that's why I check the forum. If I just want an echo chamber of "oh this thing is AMAZING!" then there's no point at all in me even making an account and writing.

A forum is still the place for discussion. I wish to discuss what I think about the relevant subject with other users and hear what they also have to say. Sometimes discourse happens. But you can't find new ideas in an echo chamber. That's pointless. And then there's this almost active attempt to suppress people with a slightly different opinion than the general public. I'm not ok with that. That's why I write long pieces to try to voice my opinions and reasoning in as coherent a fashion as possible. Then some people comes in and go: "Lol, tldr. insert vague insult" How... productive?

If mods want to give me a stern talking to and whatnot in private or mute me in public, there's my discord handle Grail#6733 and...here?

Am I rocking the boat? I don't know. I have questions. Genuine, burning questions I want to know the answer to. And I want to ask these questions... uh... screen to screen? Are my questions somehow disruptive or a detriment to the topic on hand? Are they offensive? If my sin is 'only' becuase I write too much and looking at things too closely, then there's really no common grounds for a proper dialogue. If it's my smelly attitude, ok, we have something I can work on. If my questions were somehow insulting, then I need to learn to voice myself better and be a better person. If it's about me writing shorter things and getting to the point, you'll have to show me an example of what's proper.

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Mental illness? Being a bitch isn't a mental illness.

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Why should manga get a free pass? It sounds like the sentiment any typical conservative parents who don't understand anything about what their children are watching. "Eh. It's just some dumb silly cartoons/weird Japanese shit/devil's music. In my generation, -yadayadayada-" What is this argument of "if you don't like it don't read it." Why shouldn't I examine any fictional work to find out how to make it work or not work? How dare people have opinions that are different from yours. If I want to articulate and make my point, I get labeled "those other types of people" or get called gasp, a nerd. Wowie. What does that serve? Does labeling me differently, a herectic, make you feel better? Hey, let's look down on another person because "aw, what a sad newb who must be new to manga." Does that lessen any point I made? No. You just sound like an ass who likes to pretend to be superior. If you need to try to setup the other party as "inferior" or "inexperienced," I can't help but think you got some weird complex going on.

I'm calling shenanigan when I see it. This type of attitude doesn't help with a healthy discussion of any types of work. This is still a forum, we're allowed to discuss why we like and don't like. I think it is of grave importance to examine anything we like and don't about a work. It's pointless to just sing praises all the time. It's also necessary to embrace and address the faults in any works. Criticisms are necessary. There seems to be this weird vibe of: "Criticisms are just some mean things meanie people say to made people feel bad." No, criticisms are needed for people to learn from their mistakes. We shouldn't close ourselves off from what's perceived as negative just because it makes us feel bad. Constructive criticisms are necessary. Slander and pointless insult, now that's meaningless.

Vampire as a theme should give any author a lot of good things to work with. I find the bite scene, where in most other fictional works, is the really juicy and delicious bit where any author can really entice the reader with whatever they are going for. This certainly isn't the only vampire themed yuri work here: VAMPEERZ, quite a bit of Takano Saku's works (technically not tagged as vampire, but she has a thing for sucking on things,) Seifuku no Vampiress. I was certainly excited to see another work with vampire tag, but so far it just lacks that big punch. It was just such a wasted potential it hurts me.

To address the chuunibyou vampire, this one has a lot of personal experience colored by past works. Plopping a mysterious figure on a tall building overlooking the city, complete with The Hoodie, now finish it with some cryptic statements. OoOoh, how MYSTERIOUS! There are ways to setup that particular scene to be impactful, but it felt pretty silly in this instance. Turns out the character is a goof herself, so maybe that's warranted.

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Eh... That setup. It did move Sanic Fast. Love at first sight.... mkay, maybe the blood loss did affect personal judgment significantly.

Having fantasy themes =/= ditching realism. By this train of logic, any fictional work doesn't deserve critique because "oh, they are fake." If you want a story to keep the audience interested, it needs to follow some semblance of rules. Be it tropes, common sense, gravity, taboos, whatever. Though the main issues I have with Neji's works tends to be her overall pacing. The ridiculously convenient setup of a chuunibyou vampire in a hoodie, conveniently collapsed vampire found by prey, vampire-chan go "sowwwrryyyyy uwu", said prey's love at first sight. Lol what? The scene where the vampire sucks blood? That's a perfect place to explore all sorts of things. Do you want to depict it as a very sexual thing? Do you want to depict it as a terrible act of EVIL and the effect it has on the victim? How does this experience have an impact on the victim while she's being sucked? No, Neji's just gonna do a black screen with a uwu vampire apologizing instead. Because accidentally sucking someone to the point of anemia isn't actually a big deal at all. Huuuuuuuh? C'mon. You got a freaking vampire, surely you can do more than that.

Grail
Image Comments 09 Jun 20:28
Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017
Dzkxwayuwaacvgu-orig

Touch fluffy tails

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

You know what we said about useless lesbians. We need all the help we can get.

Grail
Snow Muse discussion 04 Jun 20:39
Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

wearing a short shirt in snow fall

Japanese school girls yo. It's their super power.

Grail
Image Comments 04 Jun 04:50
Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017
Eyes5cjuyaapsui-orig

Boob grope and casual shoulder touch

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

I'm seeing a trend with this author and I love it.

Grail
Dear NOMAN discussion 03 Jun 15:34
Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Goddamn teenagers!

This one bothered me a lot more than usual because she went RIGHT into doing the stupid. And all she thought about was letting her mom know that she'll be home late. Jiminy Crickets!

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

The god of RNG only takes blood sacrifices. Praying won't work. Also, stay away from gacha games.

I notice your profile picture is of Lily, a character from one of those same, esteemed gacha games.

Can't fault the waifu, fault the companies. I also quit GBF for over a year now.

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

The god of RNG only takes blood sacrifices. Praying won't work. Also, stay away from gacha games.

Grail
Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

I'm starting to wonder how did the editor and author pair meet in the online game. And how did editor realize the online person = chronic procrastinator she's been working with. Will love to see how that opens

Grail
Dear NOMAN discussion 02 Jun 23:48
Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Boss: Don't do that thing.
MC: K
Does the thing regardless

For fuck's saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake. Times like this I want MC to face serious repercussions/consequences for pulling dumb shit like this, but either Plot happens or some dumb plot device triggers. MC will basically be fine and safe because some benevolent 3rd party will take the brunt of the intended danger. Grrr

Grail
Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

It's possible to be in a relationship/marriage and still be raped by your partner. We have to go by pure speculations due to how little information we have to work with. Power dynamics is wonky with this pair. Charismatic (?) prince vs known delinquent girl who's not afraid to flaunt her private bits in PUBLIC. Prince is pushy as hell and to some degree very manipulative. (Let's convince useless MC friend that this is perfectly "normal" behavior despite what most sensible people would say) Someone in a position of power can coerce people into rationalizing their abnormal behaviors/attitudes/thinking. The delinquent may be buff as hell or just... has her delinquency stats allocated to some weird areas instead. For all we know she could just be a wannabe delinquent who only did the Yankee looks back in middle school. All bark no bite. Again, not enough data. Only her MC friend is demonstrated with the ability to just snap a poor mechanical pencil. Which also tells a fat lot of nothing.

The execution is dodgy. The MC is unnecessary. No really, even if you take out the MC the story still flows just fine. The delinquent-ness is just there to do the odd delinquent x prince pairing, even though said prince is a prince of molestation according to the exposition character. The MC is really just there to find the discarded underwear on the floor to lead into that rather tastless joke at the end.

This reads more like a rather brainless hentai doujin honestly. It's a bit too fetish fueled for me. Which is disappointing, because I liked her other work between the adult and the thirsty student. This one is just messy and handled sloppily.

last edited at Jun 1, 2020 8:35PM

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

This is about a 1 on a 10 scale of aaaaaaangst. Very cute though

Grail
Image Comments 26 May 16:12
Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017
81395462_p0

Well this is a nice treat. Don't see this pairing often at all

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

I can see your underwear from down here, because it's flying~

Grail
Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

500 yen coins

That got dark really fast.

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

After that they had a lot of floofing.

Grail
Semelparous discussion 18 May 22:22
Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Hang out scene with friends
"Nah the chance of people dying around you is pretty low"

Let's just nail that death flag in extra deep shall we? We are going to need the King Arthur equivalent to pull this sucker out.

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Man I love the character designs in Arknights, but I really don't want to invest in a gacha game. If only its monetization model is more like Girls Frontline...

There is a free pull system sort of like GFL's (but worse), so you could play without paying and eventually get a decent set of units - people have successfully cleared almost all the content with only freebie stuff. But it's definitely a struggle unless you pay, so if you have trouble with getting tempted to drop cash on these games definitely don't play it.

I like the character designs a lot but I wish it focused a bit more on character stories. Outside of the main story cast we really only get occasional character-focused events and the lore text in their profiles. :/

The news that trickle in from players that play AK are quite worrying for me so I decided against taking the plunge: restrictive stamina system that is ironically named sanity, earlier units get power creeeped, event maps only forcing you to play a certain way, event map so janky it's obvious they didn't playtest the thing, and just the damn gacha system. I played GBF so I know I'm weak against that particular kind of model. (Thank you very much for your work on Viramate by the way m(_ _)m ) I like my cute anime art and lore, but AK in its current state sounds like something I'd best avoid. Which is a shame, because it does look very attractive on first glance.

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Man I love the character designs in Arknights, but I really don't want to invest in a gacha game. If only its monetization model is more like Girls Frontline...