Forum › Maitsuki, Niwatsuki, Ooyatsuki discussion

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

But also, I kinda am worried about the fact that the manga will eventually have to touch on the topic of a former idol being in a same-sex relationship, and how this will inevitably bring in some Aaaaaangst... I don’t want that. So the possibility will keep me awake at night...We can’t expect the plot to not move and demand 15 chapters of wholesomeness in a row.

I actually want that. The series is amazing but it's setup is what makes it unique, so I'd rather that it does utilize the fact of her hiding out from the world as part of the centered narrative more. Otherwise it starts to feel like a more typical series (with typical dates etc.) when it has such a relatively fresh hook to make it standout. I like the balance it's had between her past and fluff; and I'm happy that the ending suggests we will see some return of Landlord's past and current situation. It's better this way because there needs to be some narrative push to sustain this momentum (or create new momentum) and I'd rather that push comes from things outside their relationship instead of the cliche "new love interest" or "misunderstandings" or something else overdone. Pressure from society coming down on an ex-idol who is hiding out with her girlfriend is a better and more natural form of complication compared to what is normally be done.

Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

The cliffhanger got me a bit confused, is there a problem with Miyako hanging out with the girls from elm. Is there a problem with myako being in touch with her former group

She decided to retire on a whim, without informing her company, announced it during a concert and went missing right after that, which almost certainly violated whatever contracts she signed, ruined her company's schedule and forced them to do lots of damage control. Some fans still suspect Ruri might have done something to take over the group (worsened public image) and both the company and the public likely prodded the group a lot for any information on where Miyako might be or if there was anything that led to the disappearance. The company finding out the girls are in touch with her or even were involved somehow may cause more trouble for the girls or lead the company to discovering Miyako's whereabouts (at which point they may force her to come back or to compensate them for any losses they suffered).
Scratch that, I completely misremembered the backstory chapter. But then, the only validation for keeping their meetings a secret I can think of after she got the approval for the retirement is some sort of 'no further contact allowed' clause in fear of tabloids finding out.

But - so far all the drama turned out to be a setup for more wholesomeness, so I wouldn't worry about it yet.

But truth be told, the thing that caught my eye most was "this manhole is lovely" because that is not a sentence I ever expected anyone to ever say.

Read up on Japanese manhole art. Or their traffic cones. Or any other mundane object present in Japan, really; nothing is safe from moeification.

last edited at Mar 18, 2023 9:35PM

joined Mar 17, 2019

That deep lore dump in the translator notes was kind of like reading the wiki after finishing a fantasy book.

I bothered this time, but if people want to stay ignorant (or do it themselves) it'll save me the trouble.

Thank you so much for the details. It is as interesting as the chapter itself and very helpful for non-Japanese readers. Also thank you for your quick translation too!

Screenshot%202021-01-25%20004222
joined Jan 17, 2021

I like the mini wiki in the end. I'll probably treat myself with some eel at the end of the month.

Miki_closeup
joined Mar 20, 2014

Ah, they went to Kawagoe. I thought I recognized the place. I there there myself a few years ago to see the locations from the "Tsuki ga Kirei" anime, and I wound up at the Kashiya Yokocho without even realizing what it was. Fun times!

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

That deep lore dump in the translator notes was kind of like reading the wiki after finishing a fantasy book.

I bothered this time, but if people want to stay ignorant (or do it themselves) it'll save me the trouble.

I feel like their comment was an approving/good-natured one.

It was. :-)

4b70c0a3-5927-441e-942b-53e31052f7f7
joined Mar 3, 2023

I love them.

Ani_no_yome
joined Jul 21, 2020

I'm fine with fictional romances. Having one myself would just be a hassle (...).

Felt. It's a pain in the ass when people pity you for it like you've "given up."

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Very nice. ^_^

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

... I guess you can still ship Hatomori x Ruri, but platonically

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

After 15.5 I really ship them now. But as besties. Maybe, dare I say, fu—
...fun buddies.

I'm fine with fictional romances. Having one myself would just be a hassle (...).

Felt. It's a pain in the ass when people pity you for it like you've "given up."

Also family members looking at you weird when you say it's not a priority right now (you being in your 20s).

last edited at Apr 1, 2023 5:19PM

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

... I guess you can still ship Hatomori x Ruri, but platonically

Naw, if anything, 15.5 has only made me ship them harder. Shit might be the titanic, for all I care, I still say full steam ahead.

As an aside, the comedic chemistry between Hatomori and Ruri is absolutely outstanding, and the comedic timing is also impeccable. Good shit.

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Ruri would totally be my kamioshi if she existed in real life

joined Jan 14, 2020

18.5 seems a subset of 15.5?

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

18.5 seems a subset of 15.5?

I'm guessing you have to refresh really hard or something, it was uploaded all at once as 15.5 and split later from what I saw

Shinobu%20cain%202
joined Aug 19, 2015

Damn. Ruri is such an attractive person. I need a Ruri in my life.

naschyamamoto
Alit%20rider%20kick!
joined Jun 22, 2022

I'm sorry, but I can't interpret that scene between Ruri and Hatomori as anything BUT a flag.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

This scene between Ruri and Hato was probably the author's reaction to (Japanese) readers shipping them, so she gave them food for thought. Imo, she has/had no intention of making a side couple, so she just made them aro.

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

This scene between Ruri and Hato was probably the author's reaction to (Japanese) readers shipping them, so she gave them food for thought. Imo, she has/had no intention of making a side couple, so she just made them aro.

The fans: "This sign can't stop me because I can't read!"

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Finding romance a hassle is not the same as being aro, though. Them being alike like this, as Ruri puts it, is less a sign of this ship not sailing, and more one of them being highly compatible, as they can focus on their jobs as they want to, but also spend their free time together at home in bed without having to worry about the usual romance bits like dates. Old married couple trope style.

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

Finding romance a hassle is not the same as being aro, though. Them being alike like this, as Ruri puts it, is less a sign of this ship not sailing, and more one of them being highly compatible, as they can focus on their jobs as they want to, but also spend their free time together at home in bed without having to worry about the usual romance bits like dates. Old married couple trope style.

Not to mention like, one of the most popular yuri manga of the past couple years, had a legit ace lesbian ending (crescent moon and doughnuts). So it can be seen as either or.

Also if one actually read it, the note wasn't that she's ace. Just that she didn't have the time nor energy while idol girl is like 'yknow I could also go for something easy and lowkey'

It's a side couple flag lmao

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

It was announced that this manga has been licensed by YenPress:

https://twitter.com/yenpress/status/1644482691054686208?s=20

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

I'll keep translating it anyway.

If people want to support Yen Press, they can buy it.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Appreciated.

Especially as, no matter how good work they usually do, their chosen translation for the title makes not sense if you've actually read it.

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

Appreciated.

Especially as, no matter how good work they usually do, their chosen translation for the title makes not sense if you've actually read it.

Throwing the title into Google Translate makes it look like they just did a fairly straightforward translation of the title though.

To reply you must either login or sign up.