Forum › Posts by Kirin-kun

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

I think it has been removed because the quality of the release wasn't very good (MTL usage, bad typesetting), so it's probably part of the reason the work was difficult to understand. An uploader thought it was good enough, but it wasn't. So the staff removed it.

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

?

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

tbh, I'm slow on this manga because it's redraw heavy, the bubbles are narrow vertically and the Japanese is extremely colloquial, making it difficult to give it justice.

Plus, people are complaining all the time because there's a guy... :P

I probably won't drop it, but TP may overtake me if they publish whole volumes at a time, so if people are interested, they buy it from them. Dunno about the quality of their releases though.

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

If I read this correctly, next chapter will be the last.

https://twitter.com/ukaniuka/status/1771126616888102990

They say the final (not the next) chapter is still in "name" (draft) state.

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

Don't get your hopes up, people. If I understand correctly the author's twitter, it's going to end next chapter.

At this point, they're probably retiring as a mangaka.

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

Sorry for the confusion, but the original was also a sports idiom, 三軍扱い (the third army treatment), which is baseball related in Japan and is exactly the same thing.

Think of it as being the backup of a backup.

And remember they were both in the same volley team.

Probably not all Japanese know the idiom, so I guess you can think of it as being the same as them.

last edited at Mar 13, 2024 4:37PM

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

But as we saw, this was a missing middle-schooler who sparked a police search, one who has now returned physically unchanged and with (essentially) amnesia. Even given the cultural concept of jouhatsu, the specific situation would seem to warrant rather more than a “Huh, that’s weird. Well, welcome back!” reaction.

Their hometown is apparently a small town in the boonies. They mention that all the neighborhood noticed she was back, so there was a lot of gossip, the local police interrogated her and found nothing amiss (if she didn't want to say what happened to her, they probably didn't push any further) and they just informed her that her grandpa passed away.

Local media probably wasn't interested (nothing really juicy there). National media even less. Especially since she disappeared 7 years ago. I think that in Japan, people disappearing and coming back years later isn't that rare or newsworthy. It made the news in the past because she was a teen, but now? Who cares?

So I rest my case: it's not that abnormal that there was not any more ruckus or inquiries about her coming back, given the cultural background of Japan and their reluctance to infringe on privacy of people. She's an adult, case closed.

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

It should also be mentioned that people "disappear" all the time in Japan. About 100.000 person per year are signaled as "missing". Most of them are found or come back later, but some just "evaporate".

It's called "Jouhatsu" (a term meaning "evaporation"). It can be for a lot of reasons, for family reasons, for tax reasons, for debt reasons, a woman evaporating with her child, leaving the husband for DV reason (or others), suicide, etc...

The laws about privacy are really strong in Japan, so as long as no crime has been committed, police will be extremely reluctant to investigate.

So, I think there's nothing surprising about Aya's situation regarding the authorities for a Japanese reader. She disappeared, she's back, she's 21, no crime has been reported. Everyone moves on. It's not the police's problem.

I see that the western readers are baffled at the lack of reaction of the authorities or the media, but for a Japanese person, it's probably about normal.

There are even companies specialized in helping you disappear for a fee. They're called Yonige-ya. They help whole families to move elsewhere in the night. One morning, you notice your neighbor just evaporated. His house is empty. It's often to escape loansharks or debts, or even taxes (I think taxes are forgiven after 5 years in Japan).

Just look up "Jouhatsu" and you'll understand the scope of the phenomenon.

last edited at Mar 6, 2024 9:32AM

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

I've read the next chapter and there's cause for worry.

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

Lol at the volume 2 announcement when this manga has started 5 years ago.

Before this chapter, the last time Kon made a physical appearance was chapter 14, which was almost 2 years ago. I remember wanting to like this manga when it first came out, but it's so hard to get invested in it when it updates sooooo sporadically.

It's now published every two months.

This manga had been abandoned for a while, but I've now caught up with the magazine.

Next chapter should come soon, and after that, it'll be every two months.

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

I am quite amazed about how quick Yuni's mom has caught on. The translation in the panel of p.18 or 188 raw, plus my own understanding are
Yuni's mom: "Your girlfriend did" (Kanojiuka?) Girlfriend?
Yuni: "......"(......) ......
Yuni "Nah, someone else"(Uun Chiu) Wrong
Yuni's mom "What was that pause just now?"(Nani ima no ma) What was that pause?
Yuni "Huh? I didn't..."(Ha? Betsu ni) Huh? Nothing.
Yuni's mom "Eh? Two timing?"(Aijin) Lover?
Yuni "Phrasing!" (iikata) Way to say it.

Must be intuition or personal experience, using both words girlfriend and lover in a conversation with her daughter, assuming that she has both. However she does not seem to imply Yuni is two timing (does something wrong).

You intuition is wrong and I'd appreciate it if you didn't invent your own stuff with your Google translate knowledge of Japanese and try to spread doubt or misinformation. You're not trying to translate manga I hope.

I was confused by your previous question about "lover", now I see why. You're using google translate or DeepL.

愛人 isn't a generic lover here. It's specifically in the meaning of mistress, or, if you want "the person I love sexually as opposed to the person I'm married to/in an official relationship with".

If she meant a "lover" it would be 恋人 (the one you love)

Here, I found a video that explains the difference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL0gvr2LOWk

Or here, an actual Japanese answering the question: https://hinative.com/questions/13485754 : 浮気相手 "Adulterous lover".

So, YES, she implies two-timing. Or her reaction, with the sparkling eye, doesn't makes sense.

And "chigau" doesn't only mean wrong, it means "different", so here it's a "no, different" (ie, not my girlfriend, someone else).

Are you Masina?

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

Will this be finished? I read Suzuki-sempai had health problems.

This one is already completed in the original language.

The scanlation team is just taking their sweet time.

But yeah, the author went off the grid.

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

Can't you all have a bit of patience?

I finished translating and typesetting it and it's in QC.

It came out a day ago, ffs.

Just wait.

last edited at Feb 18, 2024 2:34PM

Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

I didn't think much of the page count at first, but always having a payoff every fourth page feels like I'm reading to a click track. 4/4-ass manga.

The format is showing its limits. Given the success of the manga, I wished the author would do longer form chapter. I guess there will be one on the second volume (as there were one in the first one). But still, I wouldn't mind having to wait two or three weeks for longer chapters.

Btw, Sumiko reached a million subscribers on Twitter! I'm pretty much sure it's also due to the translator's work/effort as well as a good portion of those subscribers are foreigners. Thank you for the translation, as always!

You're welcome.

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

I renumbered the chapters as 1,2,3 as in the volume, instead of the raws site numbering.

Apologies for the confusion.

With this, I can put their title though.

last edited at Feb 12, 2024 2:26PM

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

There's an odd numbering on this manga. On the web release, chapter 1 is this, but in the volume, it's separated in 3 short chapters, each with a title (see table of content).

I think I'll reupload this as chapter 1, 2 and 3, each with their respective title.

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

It needs to be mentioned that the editor in charge of "How To Break a Triangle", Kusunoki Tatsuya, was also in charge of "Bloom Into You".

If you see similarities in some developments, it may not be an accident.

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

I still have 3 chapters and a half to do.

Is it over or is that just what's come out so far?

The series is still ongoing.

4 chapters and a half per volume.

It's up to chapter 10 on the raw site, so there'll be at least two and a half more. But the story looks far from over, with the new developments in the later chapters...

More drama at 11.

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

I still have 3 chapters and a half to do.

Best to keep you all on tenterhooks :D

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

So, is there any adult beside Koto, Erika and their gang that know about Aya's condition? Local police or child service for example? Or they keep silent about it?

Child service? She's officially 21. There are records of her. She exists.

Who would believe "I traveled magically through time"?

As far the authorities are concerned, she's an adult and can handle herself.

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

I just don't know where it's coming from. Have the early chapters actually been changed in the tankoubon? Did the author say something about it somewhere? Or are people just making assumptions because the aunt started showing up in the last few chapters, and the uncle hasn't been seen since the early ones?

Translator here. I have the tankoubon and I can confirm that the "uncle" doesn't exist anymore.

Or rather, he never existed in the first place. It was always an aunt. Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia.

Literally 1984

The early chapters have been redrawn for the tankoubon and some scenes changed a bit (not the plot itself).

Edit: Here, page 10 of chapter 8 in the tank to compare to https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kaijuu_iro_no_shima_ch08#10

last edited at Jan 9, 2024 5:04PM

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

It's fine. After thinking it over, you're probably right. At least, it makes more sense in context. Tbh, when I had translated it the first time, I recall having struggled with how to interpret it and went with the "first person in a week" because of the 人.

Goes to show I still have much leeway to improve.

We just can't learn to be enough when Japanese is not our first language. Actually, there are a lot of sentences I can't really comprehend in this manga.
Like chapter 1:
何かにつけふと思い描いてしまうんだ
WTF

Thanks for your kind and detailed explanation.

That one wasn't that difficult.

何かにつけ is when someone does something all the time, more often than they (or others) would like to. It has a negative connotation, like, it would be better if they didn't do it. The てしまう form implies it's something done involuntarily, by accident.

Hence, my translation, "More often than not, I find myself suddenly envisioning it..." which, I think, carries the nuances.

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

It's fine. After thinking it over, you're probably right. At least, it makes more sense in context. Tbh, when I had translated it the first time, I recall having struggled with how to interpret it and went with the "first person in a week" because of the 人.

Goes to show I still have much leeway to improve.

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

I'm not offended. I'm just wondering what makes you think this interpretation is correct.

The important bit here is the particle に

週間ぶりの人に = for the first time in a week BY someone.

There's no "meet" or "see" in that sentence, even implied.

It's been a week since Aya came back and the President is the first one to hug her in that time. I just can't fathom why you'd interpret that sentence any other way.

I have edited my reply.

After rehashing that sentence, I can see how it could also be interpreted as "to be treated (done something) like this after a week of not seeing each other, it feels weird".

ぶり can be interpreted both ways.

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

Edit:Japan have a song called 三年ぶりの人だから by 原田悠里さん.
I would be curious how would you translate the name of a song.

It's not the same thing, because of the lack of particle.

So, it can be interpreted in various ways. "It's been 3 years since I was around", "it's been 3 years since I saw him/her", "It's been 3 years since I've heard of him/her," "It's the first time in three years I've seen...", "Because he hasn't been here in three years..."

Without context, there's no much that can be done. That's why AI will never be able to translate accurately.