Forum › It's Like a Spring Storm discussion

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

^ heh. Oh well.

It's one thing leaving someone at the altar before the vows are said. It's a completely different thing leaving someone at the altar after you said "I do!" and the officiant has declared you and your partner husband and wife. In the second case, you are already married when you leave!

But this is Japanese. The ceremony is meaningless anyway (as far as I understand, I might be wrong). I just take it as a dramatization. In real-life, only the entry in the family register (the infamous koseki) matters and that happens in an administrative setting, not in church.

last edited at Oct 17, 2019 4:26PM

Altair Uploader
Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

That's like saying that it'd have been for Luke to take a lightsabre and go kill the Evil Emperor on a Death Star. We got a hero with the means, an evil bad guy and a superweapon; now we can have them fight it out and all is well. Everything else is surplus to the story and a waste of time.

Um... no? What you're describing is the end of a trilogy, not the beginning of a story. To use your Star Wars analogy, the beginning constitues a status quo (Luke living on Tatooine / Aoi forcing herself to live what is considered a normal life), a change to that status quo (R2D2 delivering the message from Leia / Chi-chan pulling her out of her arranged marriage) and an established quest (Luke and friend rescueing Leia from Darth Vader / Chi-chan and Aoi starting a new life together). It doesn't really need an extra hour or so of Luke shooting womprats and talking up how great Uncle Owen is.

We need more space opera yuri is what the problem is

joined May 1, 2013

I do not want to imply I am ungrateful to the translators, but a lot of the lines in this don't make any sense.

Vegitab%20profile%20pic%20smoll%20tumblr
joined Sep 21, 2014

I dont know ANYONE, who married through an arranged or "gold digger/reputation" marriage, so I just cant relate to it, why you should do it. Whats the percentage in Japan for "no love" marriages btw?

A lot of then, the way Japanese see marriage is pretty diferente, is not good for you to marry someone who is broke, even though you love the person. I just don't think is very common for the person just to quit their job.

Isn't it fairly common (perhaps even expected?) for Japanese women getting married to quit their jobs/careers and start a family

Img_os7f7k
joined Oct 6, 2018

"femme fatale"

GendoIkari Uploader
joined Jul 26, 2016

I dont know ANYONE, who married through an arranged or "gold digger/reputation" marriage, so I just cant relate to it, why you should do it. Whats the percentage in Japan for "no love" marriages btw?

A lot of then, the way Japanese see marriage is pretty diferente, is not good for you to marry someone who is broke, even though you love the person. I just don't think is very common for the person just to quit their job.

Isn't it fairly common (perhaps even expected?) for Japanese women getting married to quit their jobs/careers and start a family

Last I heard the place had about fuck-all by way of maternity/childcare support systems on part of the state so yeah. Related: cratering birthrates because strangely enough a lot of women want to do something more with their lives than be housewives.

joined Apr 5, 2015

I don't pity the guy.

The custom of arranged marriage in Japan is pretty awful.

This. I mean, I guess the guy might not be at fault, it was mostly her family. But, still, no one is entitled to a marriage to someone unwilling, even if you are already at the altar. It sucks for the guy he was left hanging in there, but it would be much worse for Aoi if she have gotten marriage.

Ultimately, it is one shitty day vs a lifetime (or whatever long before divorce). Chi and Aoi could and should have done things better? Sure, but Aoi is still entitled to break the marriage promise whenever the fuck she wants.

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

I miss Transistor Venus.

https://dynasty-scans.com/series/femme_fatale

Never read it. "Het" it says... hmm. Would you recommend it?

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

No.
It is the most infuriating manga.
That exists.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

GendoIkari posted:

No.
It is the most infuriating manga.
That exists.

Maybe we need a rating system in dynasty hahahaha
edit: nvm it won't be implemented XP

last edited at Oct 17, 2019 6:18PM

GendoIkari Uploader
Tsuglenda
joined Aug 10, 2011

Read it, suffer with me.

Two thoughts about the selfish act of ditching someone at the altar:

(1) It's better to be selfish at the last moment than spend the rest of your life miserable. Obviously it would been 1000x better if she cancelled even one day earlier, but keeping in mind that she's a walking doormat and it was already too late for that, this was the next best option short of time travel.

(2) It's really, really difficult to feel pity for the guy when he was trying to buy a marriage. That's all these arranged marriages are; men purchasing women for "convenience". Technically consensual since women agree to do it in exchange for being married to a well-off guy, because that's what society says that they should aspire to and pressures them into, but... nah. I don't feel bad.

Book%20and%20cloakhbq1
joined Aug 1, 2011

That was ... a thing. It was a bit to choppy and rushed for me to really get a feel for it. I kind-of want to read the next few chapters to see where it goes, but they're going to need to do a lot to fix the pacing and characterization.

That's like saying that it'd have been for Luke to take a lightsabre and go kill the Evil Emperor on a Death Star. We got a hero with the means, an evil bad guy and a superweapon; now we can have them fight it out and all is well. Everything else is surplus to the story and a waste of time.

Um... no? What you're describing is the end of a trilogy, not the beginning of a story. To use your Star Wars analogy, the beginning constitues a status quo (Luke living on Tatooine / Aoi forcing herself to live what is considered a normal life), a change to that status quo (R2D2 delivering the message from Leia / Chi-chan pulling her out of her arranged marriage) and an established quest (Luke and friend rescueing Leia from Darth Vader / Chi-chan and Aoi starting a new life together). It doesn't really need an extra hour or so of Luke shooting womprats and talking up how great Uncle Owen is.

Bodacious Space Pirates?

HazmatChiefAlsimi
joined Feb 9, 2019

I am in love... with this manga already.

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

Things we know about Aoi:
* She works as an OL.
* Generally good at whatever she does.
* She's not particularly happy with her life.
* She has a childhood friend(?) living with her.
* Said friend(?) is dependent on her.
* Getting married to someone she doesn't really know.

Things we know about Chi:
* Might have depression or something. (It looks that way to me at least. Some of her behavior is painfully relatable for me.)
* Not very pleasant to be around, generally speaking.
* She likes Aoi I guess? I don't see it, but I think it's meant to be implied that she does?
* Some sort of novelist or mangaka or something?

Maybe I've missed something important, I don't know. But I don't find myself caring enough to look for it. I don't know what I'm supposed to think about this. Is it supposed to be funny? Dramatic? Both? Something else entirely? Maybe it's trying to be nothing at all? If so, mission accomplished. I understand this is just the first chapter, but the first chapter should give me some reason to be interested. Maybe it's trying to get me interested by actually starting some time after the first chapter. That would certainly be... a bold idea? I don't know. Maybe I'll look through chapter 2 when it appears, but only because it might explain what the hell this was.

edit: wow this was made by the person who made Yurigurashi? I actually liked that one a lot, mostly. Maybe they're just better at short form stuff?

edit2:
I'm probably going to regret throwing my hat into the ring here, but regarding ditching the guy, whether we should feel sorry for him or not, whatever... We know literally nothing about the guy other than "He has a good enough income". For all we know he could have been the perfect person for Aoi. For all we know he could have been a yakuza, or an alien, or a parakeet controlling a human-sized robot. There's literally nothing to judge here. I guess we're assuming he's just kind of average, but even then there's still no reason to like or dislike the guy, or to care at all. He was a background character. A plot contrivance the author put in so Chi could burst in and sweep Aoi off her feet. He's scenery.

last edited at Oct 17, 2019 7:46PM

Oie_1603841raayvbqe
joined Mar 27, 2018

I liked it.

As for the shitty guy, fuck him. I don't feel an ounce of pity, only satisfaction.

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

I liked it.

As for the shitty guy, fuck him. I don't feel an ounce of pity, only satisfaction.

What made him shitty? Please explain this to me because I seriously don't understand.

edit: Like, you don't have to feel pity for him or anything. I don't. But what do we even know about the guy? He was gonna be married to Aoi. That's literally all we ever found out.

last edited at Oct 17, 2019 7:52PM

Aoi%20nagisa%20-%20s
joined Aug 17, 2012

As a one-shot it was …. okay, just. As an opening chapter it just did not work at all for me.

I'll give the next chapter a shot to see if it gets better before dismissing it though.

Yukari%20sweet%20-%20copy
joined Nov 24, 2016

So far I don't care for the characters, but starting rather than ending with the wedding/pseudo-wedding scene definitely has my attention.

joined Oct 17, 2019

“Honey you got a big storm”

Kudos for the people who know this vine.

Tail_nap_by_twokinds-dc7pz78
joined Aug 11, 2016

...I'm scared they're gonna add an angst tag later on, I hope not but I only hope

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

YES. It's still very common, to the point of being expected. That said, there are a lot of working mothers nowadays, and those expectations are changing, but it depends on the workplace.

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

...I'm scared they're gonna add an angst tag later on, I hope not but I only hope

if they do, it'll probably be because of the dad

Runrin-icon-wrd-2
joined Feb 9, 2019

i legitimately could not follow what was happening at all in the first 5 pages.

To reply you must either login or sign up.