Forum › It's Like a Spring Storm discussion

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

I wonder if the author has seen "The Graduate"

I believe the answer is HELL YES!

The author wanted to do a remake of the hyper-famous final scene from "The Graduate" with two girls in the main roles. It's manifestly evident. There's even that But what are we going to do from now on? Oh shit, we didn't think of that when we ran away! vibe that they got down pat.

It's interesting that this is not a oneshot but the first chapter of a series. Because, when you think about it, the biggest piece of criticism against the movie always was that it never shows us what sort of future awaits the two MCs. It looks like this author plans to amend that flaw and take the story from that point on. We shall see what happens.

Keepallyourgifsinabasket
joined Aug 17, 2013

Big stunts like that make me way too uncomfortable no thank you no thank you

Annotation%202020-07-02%20193122
joined Apr 19, 2018

This took a turn.
And,
We live in a society.

Kat%202
joined Mar 6, 2012

Started out good.. But i dunno. The ending felt weird to me

joined Jul 23, 2017

The hell i thougt us was one shot ahahhahahah guess not!

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

They should just embrace their inner gay and get together.

0025_2d6ec0da0f4bf2e38ab1a00396fa809b
joined Feb 7, 2013

Ehhhh the short hair girl is a douchebag. Not feeling this so far.

=Not anymore :)​=

joined May 1, 2013

Or rather, that's a girl, right?

Ava
joined Jul 16, 2013

We know next to nothing about the chap

Well we do know that he apparently never looked into what kind of woman he is actually going to marry.

joined Aug 26, 2018

This series is... weird. I'm interested in how it's gonna be elaborated when chapter 1 already ended up this way.

joined Jul 26, 2016

We know next to nothing about the chap

Well we do know that he apparently never looked into what kind of woman he is actually going to marry.

Well I mean - she wasn't exactly putting markedly more effort into it either. Hence, "businesslike". Clearly neither of them was emotionally deeply invested in the matter at his stage.

But as dispassionate transaction as it was abruptly and unilaterally canceling the deal like that at the last second, with no explanation whatsoever, is just rude. Poor guy's basically just left standing there with a distinct air of poleaxed "what."

joined Aug 1, 2013

This would be fast paced even for a one shot

New
joined Aug 4, 2016

I get the appeal of seeing a girl leave her straight relationship for a gay one, but a lot of the time it's not done well and this is no exception. I kind of hate both of these women after reading this.

Alpha%20avatar
joined Nov 13, 2015

That, uh, escalated quickly.
I feel like I missed something.

joined Jul 26, 2016

I get the appeal of seeing a girl leave her straight relationship for a gay one, but a lot of the time it's not done well and this is no exception. I kind of hate both of these women after reading this.

TBF given we're privy to Aoi's private thoughts it could be argued Chiho de facto saved him from one unhappy marriage indeed. Because that was not a healthy attitude with which to go into such a relationship no matter how "businesslike" the arrangement.

It particularly egregious given it appears to be something she was doing very much on her own volition in spite of her only too apparent disdain; this woman has issues she really should sort out before such commitments...

Heihtzz
joined Oct 16, 2016

We live in a society.

Bottom text

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I don't pity the guy.

The custom of arranged marriage in Japan is pretty awful.

Lojsdbe
joined Sep 16, 2019

So let me just begin by saying that I find the act of leaving someone at the alter to be one of the shittiest moves a human being can make. The fact that this was an arranged marriage in this case makes things slightly better, but I’d still argue that to make both your fiancée and both sets of friends/families go through all the trouble of planning and attending a wedding only to suddenly turn around and basically go, “Nah,” is such a douchey thing to do. It’s fine to change your mind or wish to rescue someone from a loveless marriage, but you should at least have the guts to do that before the big day.

That being said, I’m intrigued to see where this story is going. Here’s hoping that the two characters manage to become somewhat less one-note and caricature-esque as time goes on.

That's like saying that it'd have been for Luke to take a lightsabre and go kill the Evil Emperor on a Death Star. We got a hero with the means, an evil bad guy and a superweapon; now we can have them fight it out and all is well. Everything else is surplus to the story and a waste of time.

And if the author really just needed that much they could have done it in 5 pages. Or maybe 2. One before the marriage and one for them running away at the altar. And I'd probably would have seen that as more legitimate since although I don't like it it's often that first a conflict is established and then afterwards we get to learn what lead up to it and so on. But here we're starting out chronologically so I expect the author to also actually do something with the build up.

But, whatever. Clearly we won't agree. I think this chapter was pretty awful - some others seem to agree - you don't, and some others also don't.

I agree with you, this chapter was pretty bad, but I would argue that it did not need more chapters to precede the objection simply because a girl rescuing her longtime friend from a loveless marriage is not supposed to be the main point of the story, it’s supposed to be about what happens afterwards, and how it (hopefully) changes them for the the better. This chapter is more of a prologue, which means it need only introduce the characters and their situation, without dipping into the actual story. The problems with it are that a) the main characters aren’t terribly likable, and b) the story moves too quickly for the chapter. If the author had removed just one extraneous bit: the flashbacks, the scene at the office, the burning hair, it would have told us just as much about the characters without appearing as disjointed.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I don't feel much for any of these characters. All this arguing about who's right or who is getting screwed seems kind of . . . beside the point.

I can imagine a story where I would care about these characters. This, so far, is not that one.

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

I don't feel much for any of these characters. All this arguing about who's right or who is getting screwed seems kind of . . . beside the point.

I can imagine a story where I would care about these characters. This, so far, is not that one.

What if you picture them as Dustin Hoffman and Katharine Ross? ;P

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Sure we live in a society but we don't HAVE to fit in,ugh that is one of the things in manga or other forms of art that drive me insane, people trying very hard to fit in, I kinda understand why people do that but it's just uugh makes me shiver in terror.

Now the manga..well rushed, a little sure, but I think now and then that is better than having the ultra slow NOTHING IS EVEN HAPPENING pace that I've grown to dread.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

After reading chapter 2 I can say that they suit each other very well or more like they deserve each other?, but Aoi's apathy is just too weird for me... There's no love at all! I almost feel bad for Chiho....ALMOST. Well, I'll leave this for those who like it, can't keep coming and complain in each chapter XP

last edited at Oct 17, 2019 4:08PM

joined Jul 23, 2019

Many people have noticed the similarities between this story and The Graduate, but there's one important detail they seem to be missing... and yet, amusingly, it was one of the biggest points of contention when the movie was first released.

It's one thing leaving someone at the altar before the vows are said. It's a completely different thing leaving someone at the altar after you said "I do!" and the officiant has declared you and your partner husband and wife. In the second case, you are already married when you leave!

In the movie, Hoffman didn't arrive in the nick of time to rescue his lover right before the wedding was completed. Rather, he arrived when Ross had just been married and took her away nevertheless, which amounted to stealing another man's wife. The same thing happens here: Chi-chan takes Aoi away right after the priest has declared her married to that other guy.

White_mage
joined Feb 28, 2013

I'm choosing to be cautiously optimistic with this one and hope that more time and care is spent into actually developing the two main characters in later chapters...because...yeah. I won't go so far as to say I thought it was BAD, but that first chapter definitely felt incredibly rushed and generally all over the place.

Can't say I hated it, but I definitely would have if this had just been a random oneshot. So here's hoping the rest of the chapters make up for how janky this first one felt.

joined Apr 6, 2019

Many people have noticed the similarities between this story and The Graduate, but there's one important detail they seem to be missing... and yet, amusingly, it was one of the biggest points of contention when the movie was first released.

It's one thing leaving someone at the altar before the vows are said. It's a completely different thing leaving someone at the altar after you said "I do!" and the officiant has declared you and your partner husband and wife. In the second case, you are already married when you leave!

In the movie, Hoffman didn't arrive in the nick of time to rescue his lover right before the wedding was completed. Rather, he arrived when Ross had just been married and took her away nevertheless, which amounted to stealing another man's wife. The same thing happens here: Chi-chan takes Aoi away right after the priest has declared her married to that other guy.

You have a point; but, in Japan, a church wedding with a Christian priest as officiant is nothing but a fancy extravaganza. It's not legally effective. A real marriage is what you do at the city hall when you fill the marriage papers and record your new 'married' status into the proper koseki (family register).

If Aoi & Random Dude have not visited the city hall yet, then their church wedding doesn't mean squat, because it was just a show for fun.

To reply you must either login or sign up.