Forum › Posts by Heatth

Heatth
joined Apr 5, 2015
Tanukimo_imo-1685867004257787904-img1

It has nothing to do with the show proper. Basically, Bandai have gone out of their way to muddle the waters regarding the main couple's relationship, refusing to let it be explicitly referred to as "marriage", etc. What makes different from other queerbaity cases is that the show itself wasn't actually ambiguous. They never said the word "marriage" directly, but the couple were engaged for the whole show and in the epilogue they were wearing wedding rings. The attempt making ambiguous something that very clearly was not infuriated a lot of people.

Heatth
joined Apr 5, 2015
Ataririri-1675503591744843778-img1

They are actually really married. They been engaged from episode 1 and in the last episode they are married.

joined Apr 5, 2015

Manga transwomen are always beautiful. No adam apple, no large shoulders or hands, no square jaw. Always pass flawlessly.

Man, you do live in a bubble if you think this is what the majority of manga transwomen are like. The default of anime/manga is, in fact, super muscular, has a square jaw and adam apple as well as a poorly made beard. Even when literally nobody else in the story has such strong features. They are also usually treated as being the same thing as gay men.

When a manga has a transwoman who is not like that it is becaue the manga is actually trying to be respectiful and not treating transpeople like a joke. Thus, it depicts transwomen like it treats all women (and, in fact, many men): beautiful, slender and with delicate features.

joined Apr 5, 2015

Why Mitsuki take off her glasses when reading on her phone?
presbyopia in her age?

Maybe she's just far sighted and finds them annoying when reading? It's a bit odd though.

She is probably near sighted (myopic). That is what the "near" means, you see just fine nearby, you only need glasses. It is not odd at all if that is the case. I am myopic and so is most of my family, we usually take our glasses to read, it is actually a bit uncomfortable with them. My mother was very advanced in her presbyopia before she started needing glasses even at short distances.

(also, removing glasses to read is the opposite of what you would expect of someone with presbyopia)

joined Apr 5, 2015

Yeah, that last line was the only thing that made me really confused. No idea what she was talking about.

joined Apr 5, 2015

Honestly, it didn't feel that confusing to me? They are obviously in different parties because Mitsuki is with her uncle (and apparently some other adults) and Aya seem to be with a bunch of teenage girls. That would be an odd group to be in the same party, so they clearly are in different places.

Now, where Mitsuki is is a bit confusing. I assumed it was her uncle home or something like that, but given Aya was able to get there, I guess it is probably the store. I imagine uncle closed it for the christmass party.

Not totally sure what she means by did i get here before santa means tho.

My guess is it is before midnight of the 24th.

last edited at Dec 25, 2022 7:30PM

joined Apr 5, 2015

For all we know, his real name is "Jotaro" but as he was in the "Rock scene", he got the nickname Joe.

To add to this, it is not uncommon to make foreign sounding nicknames out of common Japanese names. An example is taking the name Jо̄ji and stylizing it as "George", as both kinda sound similar.

So, yeah, until stated otherwise I assume it is just a nickname, possibly formed from his given name.

joined Apr 5, 2015

The amount of people feeling called out on the teacher thing only 100% proves the point Kanon is making - there was almost no basis for her having "a thing for the teacher" in the story, and people in real life are similarly obnoxious about that kind of stuff.

The fact that she called out Saki and the audience proves that the narrative itself expected people to come to this conclusion. This is a story, so it is only natural the audience reacts to story conventions, and those conventions very much did imply Kanon might have a crush on the teacher. The fact that the story later actively and explicitly pushed back against said conventions doesn't change the fact it used them deliberately to create an effect. The point that the story as proving is not that the audience is stupid, but that basic narrative conventions are often bullshit and heteronominative.

last edited at Sep 3, 2022 8:51AM

joined Apr 5, 2015

Yeah this feels very forced lol. Ruriko clearly finds her annoying and only knew her for like a month. Well, i guess if it leads to Kurumi realizing her feelings then sure ┐(´ー`)┌

I agree with it being forced. What kind of person sees a "friend" and meets their spouse and so immediately plops their butt down at the table begs for them to buy them stuff. I know of people that are that rude, but not many. Even in Japan, no matter how polite and hospitable the people are, that behavior is grounds to tell them to bugger off.

Being essentially homeless, unemployed, and probably close to penniless mitigates that a great deal, I would expect.

Also, it's the spouse that invites them to sit at the table, she didn't invite herself.

She was about to leave too. She didn't force the situation at all, she was invited.

Rio is kinda rude but not particularly so, specially when dealing with a friend. Like, the only thing she asked was an iced tea, after being invited to sit in. Considering she had already told them she was homeless, I think it would be rude to not buy her something. It would just be awkward for her to sit on a table without consuming anything but she clearly didn't went into there with the intent of expending money, so paying her something minor (like a cup of tea) is only natural, I think.

joined Apr 5, 2015

I am somehow expecting the uncle to spill the beans somehow. I know it wouldnt happen but...

It can happen. All it takes is mentioning Mitsuki in a conversation and he’ll use “her”, which will startle Aya.
“Her? Who?”
“…my niece, duh” [points at store clerk]

Idk how japanese can do it without using the equivalent of “she”.

In Japanese it is very easy and natural to not use pronouns in conversations, so it is not hard of uncle to just never use "she". However, the most likely alternatives would be her first name (as he is a family member) or "niece", both of which are gendered (at least I think 'Mitsuku" is female only, but not too sure). So the end result would be the same.

joined Apr 5, 2015

Ooh I like Arai Sumiko but getting hit with the "has a bff, will get married sooner or later" on page 2 already makes me feel like this is going to be really messy and sad

I noticed that Utako has a very explicit "bi" in her bio, but Akira has the more vague "has a boyfriend". That seems too deliberate, so I am guessing it is a comphet situation.

joined Apr 5, 2015

But she calls him "Onii-san" (big bro) so she still believes it's a guy.

If I am not mistaken this also means she thinks "he" is older, which is fun. I wonder if she thinks he finished school already?

joined Apr 5, 2015

It's not really weird, if you have 30-40 people in your class, you might just not care about all of them enough to remember their names.

I mean, I went to a 30-40 classes through all of high school and I always knew everyone by name. And am confident that was the case for everyone I knew. Like, it is the same people every day for a whole year minimum (and many were also in your class previous years). People from another class or from another year? Sure, don't know who those people are. But for your own class? You just kinda learn after so long together.

That said, I do find believable to know know what other people have been gossiping. I specially wouldn't knew what people were gossiping about me back then.

joined Apr 5, 2015

I'm not sure how it's handled in japan though.

In Japan,to my knowledge, it is assumed that only the woman hast the duty to take care of children and there is greater pressure for them to just quit their job after becoming a mother.

So, honestly, I do think they guy is entirely in the wrong to double down in the societal pressure instead of supporting his wife. The "being irresponsible" comment is what bothers me the most. It is one thing to make the suggestion of extending the leave because he thought there was no other choice. It is another to directly admonish his wife to wanting to work as being a bad thing.

It may be a bad thing if they can't find daycare for the kid like they said. It can be costly too. Sometimes the best financial decision is to have a stay at home parent, at least while the child is very young and needs daily supervision.

If it was just that it is fine, but that is why I got particularly bothered by the husband insulting his wife. Calling someone "irresponsible" for trying to maintain their job is, frankly appalling. It is just a really shitty thing to say in this situation. If there is no other solution due the society and culture than, sure, that sucks but I can see her abandoning her career prospects being the best alternative. But she wanting to avoid that is not "irresponsible" and shouldn't be demeaned.

joined Apr 5, 2015

I'm not sure how it's handled in japan though.

In Japan,to my knowledge, it is assumed that only the woman hast the duty to take care of children and there is greater pressure for them to just quit their job after becoming a mother.

So, honestly, I do think they guy is entirely in the wrong to double down in the societal pressure instead of supporting his wife. The "being irresponsible" comment is what bothers me the most. It is one thing to make the suggestion of extending the leave because he thought there was no other choice. It is another to directly admonish his wife to wanting to work as being a bad thing.

joined Apr 5, 2015

I find this whole "is it deception" discussion particularly silly considering the two have barely talked with each other since the confusion started. Even if you take for a fact one should always reveal personal information about themselves to those you are casually flirting with (a problematic assumption as other posters already explained), what is situation here? A teenager was dishonest? Is that really that big of a deal? Even if you consider what Mitsuki is doing to be a Bad Thing(tm), so what? It relatively innocuous considering the scale of their relationship so far. They aren't even dating, they are barely friends. If one lie to a stranger that might be "bad", but as long as the lie is not damaging most people will frankly not care, and that is the situation of the story as of right now.

joined Apr 5, 2015

The art in this is so wonderfully detailed! Maybe what finally makes Aya realize Mitsuki's identity will be the tattoo Mitsuki has on her right wrist, that she covers up with a sweatband at school. You can see it clearly in chapter 1 and 2.

Mitsuki has a collection of identifiable traits. The tattoo, the mole and the piercings. I wonder if it won't be a combination. One of them could be a coincidence, but all is too much.

joined Apr 5, 2015

Hasn't it been made pretty clear that her hearing aid isn't doing a whole lot for her anymore? I don't know about you, but my glasses make my vision 20/20, so I don't think it compares.

Did it? Then I must have misunderstood. There was a line when she said she didnt need to learn sign language because her hearing could be compensated by a hearing aid. Maybe it was strictly referring to the past? And no, I dont think I was comparing apples with oranges, or if I was, it was certainly about a common property between them.

The efficacy of the hearing aids have been mentioned multiple times. Even when she said she didn't need sign language, she said it was because hearing aids and lip reading (which is why she trained a lot of lip reading with her sister since young). The aids don't at all fix her hearing, they just help.

Kannon is disabled, even with her hearing aids. That is made clear multiple times over the series, she consistently fails to notice when people are talking and mentioned multiple times how certain situations make conversations considerably harder. The only time her hearing is close to a fully functioning level is in soundproof rooms.

last edited at May 11, 2022 8:58AM

joined Apr 5, 2015

Wait.. isn't Caicai and lil youzi cousin? I thought i read somewhere that theyre bff and cousin?

You are likely misremembering chapter 2, I think. When Mom was talking about totally normal ways "good friends" are close Youzi was thinking of Caicai. When Mom mentioned the cousin the image shown was a different girl.

So, basically, Caicai and Cousin are different girls.

last edited at Apr 13, 2022 12:27PM

joined Apr 5, 2015

The MC's action suck, she is awful. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy the story but please do recognize that this sort of behavior is not, in fact, good.

I mean, one of my favourite series is Warikan, exactly because the characters are awful. I love me a good train wreck drama series, but ScummyGap was rather light-hearted comedy so far, and this kinda clashed with that.

It didn't feel much of a clash to me. As the action is, it isn't treated as such, so it is still light hearted. Not that I don't understand the shock. So far Scummy-chan had only scammed her own parents who also suck, albeit in a different way , so it is easier to not care too much (also power dynamics are different). The only other person she interacts regularly is Maron who is also the one person Scummy isn't shit towards, even when given the opportunity (not by much, but still).

joined Apr 5, 2015

Edit: actually, blackmail is a crime IIRC, so there goes that.

While her actions certainly fit the technical definition of blackmail, I would expect that most siblings' threats of "Give me money or I'll tell Mom" go unprosecuted and unpunished.

Indeed, unreported.

They'd in all likelihood only pertain to petty sums and be dropped regardless, not deal with hundreds of dollars like in this case. Dat sleeping course ain't cheap.
It's like the punchy tsundere: it's only cute if no one really gets hurt.

Also: An action doesn't become a crime once it's reported. It either is or it isn't (with "crime" obviously having degrees of severity), regardless of whether it's discovered, reported or prosecuted.

Wow, that was a surprisingly serious response to a mostly jocular post of mine. Now when I consider the number of felonies and misdemeanors that went unpunished among the five kids in our family I feel like looking over my shoulder for Inspector Javert . . .

I not sure I get the tone of your response here. You acknowledged there was mismatch in tone between your previous post and yet you seemingly double down here instead of trying to explain the apparent misunderstanding.

So, to be clear, what is the joke exactly? Is it that equivocating an adult blackmailing a sibling to two kid siblings doing bullshit to each other is so absurd that it is humorous? Or is it because you genuinely think these two things are comparable and that, in itself, is humorous?

Because, lets make a thing clear. I personally don't have a problem with this chapter. It is funny, the MC sucks and that is funny to me. But she does suck. She is awful, blackmailing your sibling for being gay is actually really serious and not at all comparable to more petty "please don't tell mom" bullshit. Two adults being siblings doesn't one permission to being awful to the other, specially over frankly serious stuff. And even if forcefully outing someone wasn't serious in itself, even if it was petty bullshit, it is still awful to blackmail your adult sibling when you are also an adult. That is not petty pocked money kids received from their parents. Like, even as kids that behavior would be censurable, you should try to educate kids better than that, but by the time they are adults they should know better and be responsible for their actions.

Yeah people are definitely mischaracterizing her here. They’re acting like she went “I know , I’ll threaten my sister and get her to give me money!” rather than what actually happened, which was the sister making up both sides of the scenario in her head and then just taking the money her sister offered her.

That is a bizarrely disingenuous reading. If you know the other party made a misunderstanding and you just went with that it is not a misunderstanding anymore. It is willing deception and, in this case, also blackmail.

Boy, I was kinda expecting some people would be too bothered by the MC actions and complain about it here, what I didn't expect was people outright defending the behavior. The MC's action suck, she is awful. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy the story but please do recognize that this sort of behavior is not, in fact, good.

last edited at Feb 19, 2022 7:19PM

joined Apr 5, 2015

Anyone know where I can have a look at the raws for the 2nd chapter? Kind of want to see the original handwritings :p

This should work.

Wow, the font the scanlators used did not do this justice. I think the average foreigner has better Japanese handwriting than this. I'm slightly disappointed the typesetter didn't give it their best shot in MS Paint to really capture the authenticity.

On the flip side the final font of the letter is way fancier in the translation. In Japanese it is just a regular neatly done writing (I think it might be the exact same font as my textbook, actually), not something that draws attention for how pretty it is, like in the scanlation.

joined Apr 5, 2015

Thank you for the explanation, Random duo.

Is that a common thing for a vtubers? To be honest I don't feel I don't understand much about vtubers at all. I thought they were just regular streamers that use an animated avatar instead of face cam.

joined Apr 5, 2015

I feel I miss some context here. What on earth is a situation voice drama? And what does she mean by "as punishment".

last edited at Oct 2, 2021 7:40PM

joined Apr 5, 2015

It's fairly surprising that a harem series would introduce all- or at least several- of the contenders in the first chapter, instead of giving each one an arc/episode. It's an interesting change of pace, but the introductions feel a bit rushed.

That is kinda normal. The next several chapters will likely be dedicated to properly introducing each of them, but getting them out right on the first chapter is a common tactic for harem shows also, specially if the "main girl" isn't supposed to be obvious.