Forum › Yamada to Kase-san discussion

MidnightPumpkin
joined May 6, 2019

I seem to recall Kase mentioning that she never had a girlfriend before Yamada, and that she'd tried to get close to other girls but it never worked before Yamada.

I thought it had been mentioned in the chapter where Kase and Yamada eat crepes on the roof of the school and talk about Kase's relationship with Inoue-senpai. But apparently not.

It's in the tank version. I guess the translation team didn't go through all the past chapters to check for differences (which is understandable, since you can get the books officially) - but that means that some critical info (and the extended version of the two's first time) is not here.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I seem to recall Kase mentioning that she never had a girlfriend before Yamada, and that she'd tried to get close to other girls but it never worked before Yamada.

I thought it had been mentioned in the chapter where Kase and Yamada eat crepes on the roof of the school and talk about Kase's relationship with Inoue-senpai. But apparently not.

It's in the tank version. I guess the translation team didn't go through all the past chapters to check for differences (which is understandable, since you can get the books officially) - but that means that some critical info (and the extended version of the two's first time) is not here.

I’m really confused by this conversation—in the translated tank, Kase doesn’t say anything about trying to get close to other girls before she met Yamada. In that rooftop scene (which is really quite extended in the collection):

• Yamada is depressed because she thinks Kase has had lots of girlfriends (that’s a rumor that Mikawa heard) and specifically that Inoue-senpai, who seems so cool and together, is Kase’s ex. (Mikawa really leans on that hard.)

• Kase tells Yamada that all that’s not true—she’s never gone out with anyone before, and she and Inoue-senpai are just track-team buddies/rivals. This goes all the way back to the beginning of the series, where the other senior track-team girls are hostile to Kase because she’s faster than everyone else and seems to be taking a spot away from Inoue. (It’s a point where Kase is mature and thoughtful when she gets Inoue to train with her to get better, rather than just ceding the top spot to the newcomer.)

Unless there’s some scene that I’m not recalling (which is certainly possible) Kase never says that she tried and failed to be (romantically) close to other girls—only that Yamada is the first girl she’s ever been with.

EDIT: also @feihong: yes to all.

last edited at May 23, 2023 8:28AM

MidnightPumpkin
joined May 6, 2019

I’m really confused by this conversation—in the translated tank, Kase doesn’t say anything about trying to get close to other girls before she met Yamada.

I was responding to the "she never had a girlfriend before Yamada" part, which is definitely a tank-only info that's not uploaded here. I guess I should've quoted only the relevant part.

Unless there’s some scene that I’m not recalling (which is certainly possible) Kase never says that she tried and failed to be (romantically) close to other girls—only that Yamada is the first girl she’s ever been with.

I guess you are correct. The relevant chapter about Mikawa warning Yamada about the rumor (chapter 2) is over 10 years old now, and even the English version of vol 4. (with the rooftop chapter) is also about 5 years old. It's really easy to misremember what was only a rumor, and what was actually true.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I’m really confused by this conversation—in the translated tank, Kase doesn’t say anything about trying to get close to other girls before she met Yamada.

I was responding to the "she never had a girlfriend before Yamada" part, which is definitely a tank-only info that's not uploaded here. I guess I should've quoted only the relevant part.

I guess you are correct. The relevant chapter about Mikawa warning Yamada about the rumor (chapter 2) is over 10 years old now, and even the English version of vol 4. (with the rooftop chapter) is also about 5 years old. It's really easy to misremember what was only a rumor, and what was actually true.

No problem, I really was just confused. In any case, Kase has never been shown to either have or not have gaydar--she just decided that Yamada was the cutest thing, and went for it.

And the tanks are definitely worth it, if only for the extended fluffy-sexy "doing it" scenes.

joined Dec 29, 2022

I feel like I'm missing something here: Is being gay still like a big taboo in Japan? Is there a reason Kase is THIS cagey over admitting to having a girlfriend?

Japan is a very conformist culture with a lot of weight behind family position and continuity. People are expected to marry, have children, and take care of their parents as they get older. A lot of people have very traditional ideas about gender roles.

Having reread both series, I think you're right. It's subtle, since the characters that do know about their relationship are supportive, but you get the sense that it's not something they can be open about. Way back at the beginning Yamada kept telling herself that girls can't date other girls, and even Mikawa feels the need to "warn" her that Kase is gay (though that could also be the playboy rumors).

All of their romantic moments are private and they don't do a whole lot of PDA either. Just Yamada telling the Prince that Kase was her girlfriend was notable. All that does sort of recontextualize how possessive and insecure Kase can get, and why she won't just tell Fukami the truth.

joined Jul 6, 2014

I just caught up with this series.
Why would Kase even entertain doing this race in the first place? Fukami should have no say at all about where Kase wants to live or who Kase wants to be a roommate with.
Mao just needs to seduce Fukami and solve this stupid drama.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Why would Kase even entertain doing this race in the first place? Fukami should have no say at all about where Kase wants to live or who Kase wants to be a roommate with.

That was the first question everyone had, and still has.

joined May 2, 2019

Kase owes a big fat apology to Yamada due to her behavior and regardless of any apology they still lost the perfect apartment Yamada had found. All of that for absolutely no reason!

The bet was never an issue in the first place, Kase clearly hand-waved away the previous bet of "If I win you'll stay" and reframed it to "If you win I'll tell you why I'm leaving". It's almost worse now, because there's literally NO reason why they had to postpone moving to a new place!

Like, Kase could've moved away from her dorm and THEN she could've done the bet with Fukami. "Of you win I'll tell why I MOVED"

Moved. Past tense. Because it already happened.

Honestly, there's no "fixing" this. It's not the end of the world but it's a silly blunder. Let's just hope we can move on from it as fast as possible.

Rx_5_50
joined May 3, 2016

Mao just needs to seduce Fukami and solve this stupid drama.

Or she could just confess and get rejected. I’ve only skimmed through/read a few chapters from both series throughout the years, so I’m not really invested. Though the bet is silly.

Rx_5_50
joined May 3, 2016

Fukami is just too adorable in her uselessness.

Boy, there’s looking on the bright side. I blame the writer rather than the character that I just want Fukami to go away as soon as possible.

Crazy take lol. I wouldn’t even call that “looking on the bright side.” Just a reasonable conclusion.

23519190_1784036034940610_3865802561690641399_n
joined Oct 4, 2016

Mikawacchi has zero chill.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

honestly i wouldn't want to live door to door with these two morons either xD

Old%20man%20prof
joined Oct 25, 2022

I'm glad Mikawacchi called out what Kase's been doing as being terrible. If only Yamada actually took it heart instead of brushing it off.

I'm looking forward to Kase's fortune coming true and it turning out that their new apartment has super thin walls, so there's still minimal opportunities for sexytimes.

joined Feb 24, 2015

Am i the only one who can't open Yamada to Kase-san ch32: Fukami and Kase-san (Part 2)? It says something went wrong and doesn't open it, but i can use rest of the site without a problem also i can read previous chapters too. Is there anyone who has the same problem?

maidenlessclaire
Rkkixs_v_400x400
joined Feb 16, 2023

Am i the only one who can't open Yamada to Kase-san ch32: Fukami and Kase-san (Part 2)? It says something went wrong and doesn't open it, but i can use rest of the site without a problem also i can read previous chapters too. Is there anyone who has the same problem?

Nah I can't open it either. I went and read it on Mangadex.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

That Yuri Camp, though... :D

Something seems to have gone wrong with the upload, yeah. Manually changing the download link to 33 works, though, so it's still readable through that.

Fb_img_1492462408743
joined Jan 18, 2014

honestly i wouldn't want to live door to door with these two morons either xD

I was sad until reading this, if there was an interaction of "like the comment" i would totally use it instead of writing this

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Something seems to have gone wrong with the upload, yeah. Manually changing the download link to 33 works, though, so it's still readable through that.

Thanks for the good tip.

joined Sep 9, 2016

Man, I'd have been a bit harsher if I was Mikawa. I'm sure this has been hammered to death, but both Yamada and Kase need to stop being softer than dough.

This does feel like some cosmic justice for Kase, though. It seems to me that she and Mikawa don't get along the best and now having to live in very close proximity are her just desserts for letting this stupid melodrama drag on.

last edited at Jul 26, 2023 2:09PM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Man, I'd have been a bit harsher if I was Mikawa. I'm sure this has been hammered to death, but both Yamada and Kase need to stop being softer than dough.

Mikawa indeed tried to tell her that... but I don't think the message got through...

This does feel like some cosmic justice for Kase, though. It seems to me that she and Mikawa don't get along the best and now having to live in very close proximity are her just desserts for letting this stupid melodrama drag on.

That facefault on the treadmill was glorious.

Strangergirl Evergarden
Avatar%20coloring%2064444c9978b43
joined Jun 27, 2023

Happy Yamada is best Yamada.
Takashima Hiromi loves to draw a sad Yamada - because it's so fun, I guess, to draw the hundred faces she can make when she's troubled and crestfallen (she's like Marimite's Yumi in that) - but I like her joyful and delighted look the bestest!

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

That was the first question everyone had, and still has.

After seeing their interactions, I think it basically comes down to Kase being kinda dumb, but also she sort of lied to defuse the situation?

It definitely seems like she has no intent to stay even if she loses the bet. She is moving in with Yamada. Period. She's already told Yamada to commit, and last time she talked to Fukami about it, she used the "If I lose, I'll tell you why I'm moving," which is a clear shifting of the goalposts. The race is no longer about "I'll stay if I lose" And honestly, that's way less egrigious. "I'm going to stay until we resolve this race, but I'm definitely leaving" is way more fair to Yamada than "I'll stay if I lose." It's a little unfair to Fukami that she agreed to the race under false pretenses, but Fukami wasn't being remotely fair to Kase thorugh this whole thing, so I can't really get too mad about it.

She seems to think that win or lose, she's trying to use the race to give Fukami some kind of closure so they can part amiably. I don't know if this was always the plan, or if it's a pivot after realizing how unfair it would be to Yamada to honor the original bet, but either way, it's less stupid than it was originally.

joined Jan 14, 2020

I don't know if this was always the plan, or if it's a pivot after realizing how unfair it would be to Yamada to honor the original bet

We still have the aspect of passing up the earlier apartment, as Mikawa calls out in the current chapter.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I don't know if this was always the plan, or if it's a pivot after realizing how unfair it would be to Yamada to honor the original bet

We still have the aspect of passing up the earlier apartment, as Mikawa calls out in the current chapter.

I was going to say. This whole concept was a botch from the beginning—not a “Kase the character” problem, but an “author” problem. It’s good that there was a pullback from the original conception, but that conception made absolutely no sense.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Kase-san deserved it, now Yamada can move on. "Look, Mikawachi, when I texted her the news, she face-planted on the moving treadmill, okay?" "Ohhh, okay, you can forgive her."

To reply you must either login or sign up.