Forum › Posts by RocktheBocc

RocktheBocc
joined Dec 29, 2022
_larajenn-1399926321938116608-img1

This pairing is still a favorite of mine, but it also makes me realize that after a solid decade, my appreciation for Korra as a character is completely divorced from the actual show. I tried a re-watch last year and boy, it is a clumsy narrative with a lot of missed opportunities. Hopefully that Korra movie will finally get to tell a decent story, whenever that comes out.

RocktheBocc
joined Dec 29, 2022

I feel like I'm missing something here: Is being gay still like a big taboo in Japan? Is there a reason Kase is THIS cagey over admitting to having a girlfriend?

Japan is a very conformist culture with a lot of weight behind family position and continuity. People are expected to marry, have children, and take care of their parents as they get older. A lot of people have very traditional ideas about gender roles.

Having reread both series, I think you're right. It's subtle, since the characters that do know about their relationship are supportive, but you get the sense that it's not something they can be open about. Way back at the beginning Yamada kept telling herself that girls can't date other girls, and even Mikawa feels the need to "warn" her that Kase is gay (though that could also be the playboy rumors).

All of their romantic moments are private and they don't do a whole lot of PDA either. Just Yamada telling the Prince that Kase was her girlfriend was notable. All that does sort of recontextualize how possessive and insecure Kase can get, and why she won't just tell Fukami the truth.

RocktheBocc
joined Dec 29, 2022

I feel like I'm missing something here: Is being gay still like a big taboo in Japan? Is there a reason Kase is THIS cagey over admitting to having a girlfriend? I was rereading, and they've never been completely open to anyone but Mikawa and Kase's senpai about their relationship (which may be why Kase is so possessive). But still, it never gets directly addressed, so this arc feels more like padding runtime than anything else.

Also I know she's a dope but its kinda nuts to see Kase both misread the confession and immediately begin flirting with Fukami. Is her gaydar that bad?

RocktheBocc
joined Dec 29, 2022

I'm not sure we're supposed to understand just what's so sensual about those words. Mask has unusual and powerful aesthetic sensibilities and some of them are about language. That other girl is compelled to try personifying almost any object or concept as something that could experience BL, Mask has reactions to certain words.

I think it's less about the words and more about the subject. In ch 210 it was shown that Mask loves cats but has a hard time attracting them, something that comes easier to Kaoru. So I imagine that she's all worked up over the idea that Kaoru has an exotic cat that she gets to spoil whenever she likes. It is unclear, though.

RocktheBocc
joined Dec 29, 2022

The whole cleavage-smelling thing caught me off guard, but it kinda reminds me of waaay back in ch 5, when Miyoshi felt up a sleeping Ayano's chest in the nurse's office. She even said Ayano smells like a baby (whatever the hell that means)

last edited at Jan 29, 2023 2:09PM

RocktheBocc
joined Dec 29, 2022

UGH. I know I'm not saying anything new here, and am just adding my voice to the chorus, but this seriously sucks. I wanted the author to write an arc that didn't revolve around Kase or Yamada being jealous for no reason (and jealousy still factors in with Kase's unreasonable roommate) but this is ridiculous. The entire setup is stupid, the stakes are nonexistent, it will mean nothing other than a few angsty panels and Yamada yet again questioning their relationship.

Which at this point, she really should. We've never been given a reason for Kase refusing to call Yamada her girlfriend (homophobia doesn't seem to be an issue) yet she acts super territorial with her. It's sad because this started as a cute pairing, but at this point their love story might as well be a guide on how not to have a relationship.