Forum › Posts by icekatze

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

Re: Chap 77

Giving vague answers and letting people interpret it the way they want is half-assed? More like delightfully diabolical. :D

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

I know it's a popular trope, but it turns out that communication and trust are really important to a relationship, and playing mind games like this is a great way to end a relationship. Negging is a scum bag move.

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

Re: Chapter 20

I'm a little frustrated at the writing here. Individually, each of the character's actions could be justified. But looking at them together, the writer has missed at least two big opportunities to develop the characters.

There has been three times now where three different characters stop talking to their friend and run away. Including characters that got upset when it happened to them. Makes it feel more like a plot device than a character trait. But even giving the author the benefit of the doubt, by the time Kiki runs off, the gesture has lost its dramatic effect.

Well, I'm still on board to see what happens, but this last chapter feels like it didn't stick the landing.

last edited at Feb 21, 2024 2:38PM

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

Welp, I'm out for now. I'll come back and see when there's an [END] tag on it.

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

Something tells me this got axed before its time. At least there's an ending, even if some rather big things get left unresolved, it's still way better than just never updating again.

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

I'm starting to think that "other people's expectations of you based on appearance," is a major theme in this manga.

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

It's an interesting take. I've got some mixed feelings, but I feel like the author is probably intending to address my concerns eventually.
I generally dislike the kinds of stories where one of the characters gets into an abusive relationship, and we're supposed to accept it because their partner has a sad backstory or something. But here, the mysterious past is front and center, and the author doesn't frame Xiao Yu's behavior as justified from the start. (Rather than being some kind of absolute authority, she gets chewed out by her superiors.) I'm glad the author highlights that Obsidian doesn't entirely dislike Xiao Yu's attention, since that makes the tsundere act easier to stomach.
Feels weird to say that a supernatural story like this feels more natural, but at least they haven't reached a point where I feel like "they should separate and never interact again rather than reconcile."

icekatze
Love Bullet discussion 01 Dec 13:34
Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

My only thought is this: "Damn, the goddess of love is really evil." I suppose they're probably a Greek Gods style goddess.

icekatze
Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

See, this is why I don't like love triangles, and usually avoid romances that prominently feature them. (that leaves me with about five remaining stories to choose from, I know, I know) Because even though Kukami was pretty unreasonable this whole time, I still end up feeling bad for her now. :(

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

I love how the donut scene makes sense when you only look at the panels presented, but when you think about how it must have gone down from their perspective... They're sitting right across from each other, like, how did she miss someone taking a bite out of the donut before asking for it? XD

Glad to see that people, including Shion herself, can understand that they're doing a bad. I came into this chapter worried that Shion and Kiki getting along like nothing had happened would mean the story was going to ignore what happened and leave the conflict unresolved. So in a narrative sense, at least, it's a good thing that Shion is keeping up the pressure.

icekatze
Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

Kase only has herself to blame for dropping the ball on the original perfect apartment. That in itself was so outrageous, but it's nice to see the author starting to hang the lampshade on that.

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

What are you talking about? In Chapter 20 all that Shiho wanted was for Aki to admit that she was a better singer/performer than Yori. And in Chapter 21 she grabs Aki by the collar after hearing her say that she "loves Yori's singing and that that opinion will never change".

Huh? Do we live in a world where it is okay to grab someone else by the collar and yell at them for expressing their opinion? No, that's not okay in any way. Shiho was emotionally and physically abusive to Aki, and never apologizes for it.

It's honestly kind of shocking that a story about same-sex romance will push the theme that someone else is allowed to judge you for falling in love with one person rather than another, and be correct in the end.

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

I'm not sure that her actions could be described as "fomenting hostility."

Go back and read Chapter 20 again, before the battle of the bands proposal was even made. Shiho approaches Aki and makes demands that Aki renounce her own band and friends. Chapter 21, again before the bet is made, Shiho is insulting Aki and her friends. Aki tries to be polite, and Shiho literally grabs her by the collar and yells in her face.

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

I realize that it happened, like, years ago at this point, but I can go back and pick a random chapter from the beginning of this arc and read pages where Shiho insults, gaslights, and belittles Aki; trying to make her feel regret and damage her friendships with others in the band.

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

This is hilarious, insofar as reversing responsibility and blaming the wrong person can be hilarious.

The more I think about it, it does seem that Shiho has something like an incel mindset. She had feelings for Aki. Aki was treating her normally, and Shiho felt that she was entitled to more. It seems that in the author's mind, Aki was in the wrong for not giving Shiho what she thought she deserved.

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

Uhg, it feels dirty. Like every single time I've watched a friend jump back into an abusive relationship. Well, at least this arc is over now, thank goodness.

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

Sigh, it turns out that "consent," under duress isn't actually consent at all. Makes the vampire lady a 2nd rate cartoon villain, and I can only hope that the ship doesn't sail. Too bad.

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

Oof, that's tragic. But I guess neither of them could compromise, so that's is what it is.

(I've been to LA before though. 2/10, would not recommend.)

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

Sorry, Kanna-san, you may be very cool, but I'm still gonna have to call the yuri police on you.

You know, I gotta ask, what's the Yuri Police's mandate and jurisdiction?

Mandate, preventing crimes against yuri. In this case, attempted breaking up of a yuri couple.

Jurisdiction... uh... most of Yurasia?

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

Sorry, Kanna-san, you may be very cool, but I'm still gonna have to call the yuri police on you.

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

At this point, I actually don't want the ship to sail. Ayaka can find someone way better.

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

It's funny that she gets criticized for being a mom, since in real life, people tend to choose partners that are similar to their parents. It's actually a pretty strong correlation.

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

Honestly, even if that Cao Wen creep is correct about Song Li using her as a pawn, he's still a villain for trying to use a child as a hostage to get his way. No excuse for threatening to harm a kid's well being because of a dispute between adults.

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

Even if it turns out that the childhood friends go their own separate ways after realizing they don't need each other after all, and everyone's happy with that, I hope we get some kind of resolution about what the heck Shion was thinking when she ditched Kiki in the first place.

Helmet
joined Jun 9, 2021

A love triangle is absolutely what this story doesn't need, but it's been hitting home runs so far, so hopefully this will exceed my expectations too.