Forum › A Love Yet To Bloom discussion

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

Let's recap friend by friend.

Hinata - Oblivious as fuck. Can't read the room to save her life, made up for her by her sheer enthusiasm and the force with which she sets up events.
Hirose - Wingmanning. Knows what's up with Takamine and Sakura, doesn't know what's up with Hatori.
Hatori - Ambiguous and go-with-the-flow style. Seems fine no matter what happens, focused on Hirose.
Takamine - Dense and cowardly. This adorable little idiot probably hasn't crystalized her feelings yet but instinctively places herself everywhere Sakura is.
Sakura - Not dense, but cowardly. Knows exactly what's going on but isn't doing anything about it either. Sakura! Take charge you idiot!

The handholding scene makes me think that Sakura is self-conscious in a way I wasn't expecting. Like, she's so aware I'm wondering if she's got some gay anxiety, as in afraid of how Takamine may respond to her gay feelings. So far this manga hasn't really felt like it would delve into that kind of a topic, but it's always a possibility.

Great analysis, especially about Sakura. I haven't really thought about her this way before, but now that you have pointed out some of her behaviors, I have to agree that they make sense. Top!Sakura would be hilarious and awesome. :-)

joined May 16, 2021

Gae

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Takamine - Dense and cowardly. This adorable little idiot probably hasn't crystalized her feelings yet but instinctively places herself everywhere Sakura is.

Actually, Takamine isn’t so little. jk!

Seriously, I agree with all your points and I thought this one was especially well-expressed. Takamine seems to keep all her feelings at arm’s length (at best).

And sometimes what looks like “cowardice” (OK, is cowardice) is also a function of a kind of emotional intelligence, of understanding the potential stakes involved in putting yourself out there with all your vulnerabilities. It’s hard enough finding good friends to go ahead and risk those relationships by changing the terms to romantic.

It’s also not easy writing such feel-good, wholesome yuri with an edge of real emotional drama. It’s nice to see it done well.

Palucina1
joined May 26, 2020

It was so nice of them to take care of that lost child, during their outing. I hope they found her parents!

joined Sep 9, 2015

Hirose is quickly becoming my favorite character in this story.

It got racy with the lewds but at least in the end they used protection

Finally, a manga couple who understand the dangers of unprotected hand-holding. :-)

I noticed their balloon was a cat balloon and the other one was a dog balloon. So cute!! Love the wordless string holding :)

20230811_115727_adobe_express
joined Sep 21, 2019

they were too shy to hold hands so they held the same balloon sjjskskfs

butches-and-chicken
Menina%20punk%20de%20spice%20girls
joined Jun 12, 2023

Let's recap friend by friend.

Hinata - Oblivious as fuck. Can't read the room to save her life, made up for her by her sheer enthusiasm and the force with which she sets up events.
Hirose - Wingmanning. Knows what's up with Takamine and Sakura, doesn't know what's up with Hatori.
Hatori - Ambiguous and go-with-the-flow style. Seems fine no matter what happens, focused on Hirose.
Sakura - Not dense, but cowardly. Knows exactly what's going on but isn't doing anything about it either. Sakura! Take charge you idiot!

The handholding scene makes me think that Sakura is self-conscious in a way I wasn't expecting. Like, she's so aware I'm wondering if she's got some gay anxiety, as in afraid of how Takamine may respond to her gay feelings. So far this manga hasn't really felt like it would delve into that kind of a topic, but it's always a possibility.

I like your Sakura's analysis! I kind of noticed that she was a little too embarrassed, but couldn't think more deep than that.

Selfie
joined Aug 25, 2018

We need a black hole couple tag

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

The term "mini-Hinatas" is both mean and hilarious AF. :-)

joined Oct 19, 2023

I thought Hatori was going to go in a completely different direction with, "Why'd you choose Takamine?"

joined Jul 8, 2019

That last chapter's credits made me seriously consider to actually suggest -this time, for real- the Read, muthafakkas custom tag that I jokingly commented on the first chapter.

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

Hirose really is a great character...

Knight Heron, thank you as always for your note pages, they're always fascinating.

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

This entire chapter made me feel like going to the library, picking a book and reading all day at a park. Too bad I'm a grown ass adult with a job and it's the dead of winter where I live :( Oh well! Also, Takamine is at the '' I'm hallucinating seeing my crush everywhere '' stage now, things are truly progressing!

joined Feb 8, 2024

I think it's neat how well the art shows how conscious Takamine and Sakura are of one another even when they're not directly interacting. Like yeah, there's the obvious bit with Takamine hallucinating her crush in the library, but some of the more subtle paneling decisions really help create the sense that they're always thinking of one another.

The pair of pages with Sakura reading on a park bench and Takamine picking a book in the library are a good example. Sakura is shown on the park bench from an angle that makes it look like there's a big open space in Takamine's usual spot to her right. There's not a big open space to Takamine's left in the panel where Sakura usually stands, but the way the bookshelf extends across the bottom of the page creates the sense someone is missing.

I get the feeling this is symbolizing their feelings being slightly out of sync with one another [like in the last page of ch.5]. Sakura has realized her feelings for Takamine are romantic, but Takamine hasn't quite realized the same. There's another bit later on in this chapter in the park where Takamine is thinking about Sakura, but mostly in the context of how her encouragement makes the world feel less intimidating. Again, in that panel, the open space is to her right.

I thought Hatori was going to go in a completely different direction with, "Why'd you choose Takamine?"

I think it's definitely meant in that way, since Hatori makes the point of saying she has the same build as Takamine. She's just cloaking it behind her usual veil of aloofness. And since Hirose mentions Hatori seeming disinterested as a reason she didn't ask, I think it's why Hatori says it's not a bad thing that she's the one who has changed the most.

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

There's nothing funny about Takamine seeing phantom images of Sakura. That is a symptom of wife withdrawal, and it's very serious

Capturar
joined Jun 27, 2018

This entire chapter made me feel like going to the library, picking a book and reading all day at a park. Too bad I'm a grown ass adult with a job and it's the dead of winter where I live :(

Shouldn't be prohibitive so long as you pick a weekend/day off and find a suitable replacement for the park (reading at the library itself is okay, cafes are nice too, and if you're lucky you can find something like a greenhouse or an indoors garden).

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Loved the chapter. The severe wife-withdrawal displayed is somewhat worrisome, but hopefully nothing life-threatening, also thanks to the dude above who commented that, it made my evening.

More seriously, I do love how the framing particularly displays the two's bracelets, specifically Takamine's. She has Sakura on her mind constantly and I fucking love that, but also it's a great symbol of how meeting her has changed Takamine's life. On that topic, I also really like the several insights about the characters' changes and their worldviews, I actually find Hatori's stance very interesting, especially with how in the last chapter and this one, she's gone out of her way and against her own supposed stance. Also, her questioning what made Hirose "choose" Takamine is a brilliant twist and tease. The way she was about to ditch Hirose and retreat back into her usual stance implied she took some damage there, but I'm very glad that she wasn't allowed to leave. Also just really like how Hirose sold her out, love the dynamic in that.

Another thing I want to note is the line "...those dazzling lights that used to feel way too bright; now feel like a soft and comforting glow...". A brilliant display of character growth in a way that feels so relatable, real, and grounded. I also feel that juxtaposing it over a frame showing Hinata, probably the brightest and most dazzling of the four, was on purpose, and I like that.

Also the chapter's cover page is chef's kiss.

Let's recap friend by friend...

Love the breakdown here. I'd say that Hatori is also in the "knows what's going on" camp, both regarding the duo and regarding Hirose. I'd say she's probably the most perceptive one. Also, for some reason, even though it is abundantly clear that Sakura knows what's going on, part of me feels that while she knows, it hasn't sunk in yet, if that makes sense. Also, with chapter's 14 excellent tease, I'm feeling rather optimistic about the story actually dipping into romance.

last edited at Feb 27, 2024 1:02PM

joined May 28, 2021

@cecile I was specifically talking about today, but you're right, I definitely should treat myself to a day like that soon !

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Do you think they multiply if you throw them water?

Couple_under_the_stars
joined Nov 7, 2022

Beautiful day for Takamine, but really, this chapter more than anything makes me want to cheer for Hatori.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Shame their library isnt quite as flexible as a UK library- we'd let you sign up as a temp account even without ID- you only get to take 1 book though, till you come back with ID to verify your details.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Or Berkeley. Let me check out 3 books at a time just for showing up. 30 once I verified an address (by receiving a postcard), which wasn't even in Berkeley... Oh, they might have wanted an ID card, though.

last edited at Feb 28, 2024 2:12AM

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

Hatori and Hirose's conversation just made me think "what a bunch of cute little brats". Hatori with her whole "everything is easier when I don't have to be vulnerable" nonsense. That sure is true Hatori. That's why you're poking the bear and asking why Hirose didn't choose you. Because you totally don't care and have 0 feelings involved.

277518907_284798580472730_8969942845314652470_n
joined Sep 19, 2021

fuwafuwa?

joined May 28, 2021

Sakura not being able to keep from looking at her phone has such young girl with a giant crush vibes XP

To reply you must either login or sign up.