Forum › The Princess of Sylph discussion

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

@nestor This made me sad and frustrated because you make some very good points. As a new reader that was first introduced to the SV I didn't notice these problems (except for the Snake princess, kidnapping/sexual assault scene, that one was jarring), because I didn't have a frame of reference.

I think I would have to reread both versions to really be able to say much in response to what you've shared, but one thing I did notice as I was reading the TV was the more serious tone, as you mentioned. It does seem like they're trying to push a lot more jokes in the SV, and while I didn't mind it when I was reading it, I can see now how that affects Natalia's character in particular. Because, as you said, while reading the SV, I found myself thinking, how I the world were the people of the kingdom so blind as to not see how unwell Natalia is, when she's literally falling on trees every other second. It takes away from her character and makes the rest seem unbelievably stupid or cruel.

I am sort of expecting/hoping that the more lighthearted tone here is intentional by the author (and not forced by the editorial department), so that it will contrast the events that will come later, when the wall really starts failing.

I can also see how Sara was more... interesting in the TV. She was a lot more obscure, to the point were I found myself questioning her motives, even though I already knew that she was unequivocally on Natalia's side, having read the SV. Perhaps the decision to change the way she was portrayed was partly because old fans would already know the truth, and they wanted to try a different approach.

Kiss
joined Dec 31, 2023

I did wonder if any of my problems have to do with some kind of editorial interference, but I have zero knowledge of the industry or the publishing process; I cannot begin to guess how likely it is. It also goes both ways: if they are not responsible for the changes, and if it was picked up thanks to the twitter version's quality, even if all changes are coming from the author, I'd perhaps except somebody to go 'hang on, this isn't what we signed up for'.

Incidentally, for my first wall of text I treated both works as monolithic, but it's notable that the humour I object to so much is completely absent in volume one, and starts up going strong in volume two. V1 has other tonal problems, issues with characterisation, and writing choices I consider inferior to the TV, but this change between the volumes is very noticeable, now that I think about it in those terms. No idea what it means, though.

I briefly mentioned it, but I do think making Sara the main viewpoint here makes a lot of sense on paper, I just think it wasn't executed well. I do absolutely see a tonal shift coming as the plot ramps up - there is foreshadowing for it already. However, the tone is not separate from other elements; it affects how we understand the characters and the story. Simply changing it to be more serious, without taking time to adjust the other aspects, is not going to be successful. Just as an example, if there are action scenes in the future where Natalia is suddenly depicted as a capable combatant, even if the scenes are played straight with no humour, it will not feel authentic without first giving her a training arc or something.

2d67a25c-6aaa-4f53-8c9e-6ed27a93abac
joined May 28, 2020

I’m trying to purchase an ebook but keep hitting walls I don’t know how to get around. I really enjoy the humor in this series and loved the TV. I tried the links provided in the scans, but alas, no luck. Thank you so much for uploading and your translation makes me laugh. The little sound effects are perfect.

joined Jul 22, 2020

It's back!!

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

I didn't expect to see so much intense hatred for this series when returning to the forums with the new chapter. I'm surprised but everyone has their opinions. That aside though the new chapter was fun, the cuddling was cute, and I hope the woman spreading the nasty rumors falls down a well or something haha

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Full support for lesbian marriage fueled revolutionaries

RadiosAreObsolete
Img_20210321_022239%20(2)
joined Mar 6, 2021

I refuse to accept "friendly" as a descriptor for a wasp.

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

Land of fire: You can't touch other women.

Tania: Bloody revolution it is!

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

I didn't expect to see so much intense hatred for this series when returning to the forums with the new chapter. I'm surprised but everyone has their opinions.

It's mostly just one person, whose interpretation of the events of both versions, I'd disagree with but there's way too much to respond reasonably. Yeah, though preferences and opinions will always vary.

That aside though the new chapter was fun, the cuddling was cute, and I hope the woman spreading the nasty rumors falls down a well or something haha

She seems hilarious. I mostly enjoyed our Nun's complete disinterest towards those advances. She really danced and twirled her way out of that one.

last edited at Jan 29, 2024 6:00AM

Couple_under_the_stars
joined Nov 7, 2022

With a revolution, I can change the country so that love between women is no longer punished by death.

YES !

And build a harem of the world's finest women.

NO ! (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

joined Aug 13, 2023

Yessss it's back, I'm glad..!!

riverFlower Uploader
The Golden Orchid
joined Jan 19, 2017

And build a harem of the world's finest women.

NO ! (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Yes.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

It's how you know it's a fantasy world.

Img_20201116_114246_2-min_50-min%20(1)
joined Oct 14, 2014

Oh, we're getting back to where we were, but with more players in the game this time. I get the feeling Tania here is gonna trigger some sort of possessiveness in Natalia.

Anime%20girl%20bong%20small
joined Jan 1, 2022

My queen!! I kneel!!

20220118_232511_50
joined Jun 3, 2015

It's how you know it's a fantasy world.

As someone who once set aside a tiny piece of meat to feed a hungry autumn wasp during dinner, it's not a fantasy for me <3

Also I'm very intrigued by this new character, I wonder how the introduction of her and a new kingdom will change the story.

Img_20230402_152744
joined Aug 23, 2022

Lol, I love both versions and both are great independent versions and it's so interesting to see two sides of the same author in the “same” work, I think.

That dream of Tania is my dream for real...not the harem part tho.

Screenshot_20231023-170322_gallery
joined Oct 22, 2023

Woah. I am in love with this. Gotta check out the author Twitter ASAP.

joined Apr 10, 2023

This comic rules, in all its forms. This latest chapter is especially good :)

20230811_115727_adobe_express
joined Sep 21, 2019

Hm so she wants the sword for a good cause, that's a tough call

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

I'm half-overpleased and half-overexcited.

joined Nov 27, 2016

I’m pretty happy with the official version and I like what it’s added to the characters, older version was good for what it was but i wouldn’t say I prefer it over the newer one

joined Oct 15, 2019

another cute moment. TBH i prefer the TV myself, especially the pacing, but SV does have some good stuff too.

last edited at Feb 16, 2024 1:24PM

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Smells like (soon to be) wife

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Between the wall regeneration in chapter 13 and the groundwork being laid for how important peoples faith is in giving magic to the ruler, I'm starting to feel the storm clouds brewing on the horizon. It seems like a very nasty death spiral where losing faith means losing power, which in turn causes more loss of faith and power. Not to mention the potential liabilities of having Sara in such an intimate position of power next to the current regent. I've read the pre-serialized version so I know what could happen in the future, and while this story has diverged in quite a lot of ways already, I do know that some things appear to be set in stone and I'm terrified of when they may come to pass.

Hopefully we get some more good relationship development before shit really hits the fan though. I need some sweetness to survive the storm and make it to the other side.

To reply you must either login or sign up.