Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

Mitsuki is so loved, she's a truly lucky girl ^⁠_⁠^

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I love that Kanna knew the whole time and was just letting the dude twist in the wind.

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

So is the implication that Aya called Kanna or that Mitsuki called Kanna?

_warningm_edited
joined Jan 15, 2021

Naww, bless this inept but doting uncle. Bless him~

Yup. That super cool uncle actually hit the extremes of the Kelvin range with the worry for his niece. That's good stuff right there, almost as good as watching the girls fumble along with their affections.

Aoi%20nagisa%20-%20s
joined Aug 17, 2012

Thank you so much for the translation of the Moonlight Winter Edition. Very much appreciated.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

Damn right you're the guy to get the job done, uncle! Good shit!

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Uncle doing what must be done! Although it's not like Aya was being subtle lol.

last edited at Oct 8, 2023 1:32PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Mao caught the bouquet. Narita should get ready.

joined Feb 1, 2021

Good work, uncle. ^_^

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Uncle doing god's work again. ^_^

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

T_T

I want to go to Tsutaya!

joined Nov 21, 2022

Yay! Bonus episode!

I could be wrong, but this is the first time the word "love" has been used in the manga.

BeanBeanKingdom
Ms_icon
joined Nov 3, 2018

Yay! Bonus episode!

I could be wrong, but this is the first time the word "love" has been used in the manga.

Aya's camera was in all four of the volume extras and she herself mentions wanting to take a lovers' shot with Mitsuki in the first one.

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

So is the implication that Aya called Kanna or that Mitsuki called Kanna?

Given Mitsuki's reaction, probably her.

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

Good job, uncle!

Reisen%20ds
joined Nov 30, 2016

Tags should just be gone. What people want is full on spoiler summaries for complete series anyway, and tags don't actually serve as in their function as cataloguing content anymore, so better ditch them before further devolvement. People need to be untrained from checklist reading. ^^

Some want to know if this is actually Yuri, which is a genre. It's very normal to want to know what genre you're reading. Yuri lets you know if this involves romance or not (specifically between women). It doesn't say anything about the other outcomes or about spoilers, anymore than knowing that something is in the comedy genre spoils a film or book. I don't see anyone asking for much more beyond that.

Point of clarity! The romance tag lets readers know if it will be romance or not. There is a ton of content on the site that is yuri without being romantic. Anyone concerned with progress, or the (very outdated by this point) focus on whether or not something is yuri based on whether or not there is subtext, just needs to check if there is a romance tag. That's the tag to care about. The yuri tag is not designed to define romance, and the genre of yuri expands way beyond romance, particularly with how the genre has grown explosively in the last decade. Like, for instance, this series.

last edited at Oct 11, 2023 11:55PM

Huh
joined Dec 16, 2020

Point of clarity! The romance tag lets readers know if it will be romance or not. There is a ton of content on the site that is yuri without being romantic. Anyone concerned with progress, or the (very outdated by this point) focus on whether or not something is yuri based on whether or not there is subtext, just needs to check if there is a romance tag. That's the tag to care about. The yuri tag is not designed to define romance, and the genre of yuri expands way beyond romance, particularly with how the genre has grown explosively in the last decade. Like, for instance, this series.

This is a bit confusing to me. This whole series so far feels like a slow burn to an eventual relationship (especially given the side illustrations which often look "post confession/hookup" and the adults in the story "knowing" about the leads' true feelings for each other) and that in itself is why I would call it yuri. To make an analogy, something like My Dress Up Darling clearly has a main couple that will get together by the end of the story, which is why it's often labeled a romcom/romance even though the two leads aren't dating yet after several volumes. It feels like yuri fans have a much more narrow definition of yuri and romance compared to NL manga fans.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It feels like yuri fans have a much more narrow definition of yuri and romance compared to NL manga fans.

Some do, and they tend to be extremely vocal about it. Even series where the leads are incredibly lovey-dovey for dozens of chapters but without explicit statements about them “dating” or on-panel kissing/physical intimacy don’t make the grade for those folks.

But many, maybe most, other readers seem fine with Dynasty’s looser “at least one MC has romantic feelings for another girl/woman” approach. So it’s quite a generalization to label “yuri fans” as a whole that way.

The occasional statements by manga creators tend to complicate the issue further, because they often seem to have a culturally-specific, or even industry/genre-specific, definition of “yuri” in mind when they declare their work to be “not yuri.”

(Although it certainly may have happened, I can’t recall any example of a mangaka saying that their work is yuri when major parts of the reading audience disagree.)

joined Apr 10, 2023

This is a bit confusing to me. This whole series so far feels like a slow burn to an eventual relationship (especially given the side illustrations which often look "post confession/hookup" and the adults in the story "knowing" about the leads' true feelings for each other) and that in itself is why I would call it yuri. To make an analogy, something like My Dress Up Darling clearly has a main couple that will get together by the end of the story, which is why it's often labeled a romcom/romance even though the two leads aren't dating yet after several volumes. It feels like yuri fans have a much more narrow definition of yuri and romance compared to NL manga fans.

You should probably drop that "NL" label, it's shitty to call het manga "normal love" since that indirectly calls everything else abnormal. (I've also seen NL defined as "natural love" before and that's even worse lmao) The tag on this site is "het" and that's definitely the best, even if it might lead to arguments for edge cases like My Dress Up Darling where the girl's bi and the guy has better than even chances of being an egg.

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

To make an analogy, something like My Dress Up Darling clearly has a main couple that will get together by the end of the story, which is why it's often labeled a romcom/romance even though the two leads aren't dating yet after several volumes.

To be clear, I'd personally consider this romance but the Dress Up Darling example doesn't work as well. That series very clearly had Marin think of Gojo in obvious and directly romantic ways. She thought about the potential of dating him, and crushed over him, wanted to kiss him. They were in undeniably romantic scenes, the bed scene etc. So while it was a slow burn, the audience knew early on what her sexuality was and that she viewed him specifically as a romantic partner and not just a very close friend.

The issue some have with this is they feel there is still wiggle room. These folks are looking for more concrete pinning (a toned down version of Marin's, for example) that signals clear, and obvious romantic interest that can't be second guessed as a close female bond or explained as admiration for an oshi. So there's a bit of difference between how the two series present their slow burn. Personally I think it's been direct enough and is clearly moving at its own pace.

last edited at Oct 13, 2023 2:38PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

It's not her boyfriend, it's her girlfriend.

joined Jun 19, 2023

The more I read the forum, the more I get frustrated with this comic. First, the author says it's not Yuri then the uploader says it's not romance. So then, why is it even here? I feel so heart broken now and lost all hope towards this series. I wanna cry like totally.

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

The mom’s expression when she slams the door wide open (✿>ꇴ<)

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

The more I read the forum, the more I get frustrated with this comic. First, the author says it's not Yuri then the uploader says it's not romance. So then, why is it even here? I feel so heart broken now and lost all hope towards this series. I wanna cry like totally.

Why is it here? Putting aside all the genre-tag business which may or not turn out the way you think it will, this story is here because it’s a fun story with cute characters, unusual and evocative art, and sweet interactions among the cast.

Not every story is designed to meet your individual emotional needs. It’s possible to just read a story for what’s actually on the page and not obsess about what other people say about it.

last edited at Oct 15, 2023 8:21AM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

So much going on in this chapter, it's even more confusing than usual... So we learn that Mitsuki is not good at studying, or at least worse at it than even Aya. Aya is self-conscious as usual, and then the twins and even her mom confuse Mitsuki for a guy, as well. Haven't they already met her? If not, it's still strange, since Mitsuki does not even present herself as particularly masculine here, apart from wearing a shirt (which isn't all that gender-specific, anyway, I think?). Also, we have a undercurrent of Mitsuki getting lost in thought every time the graduation exam is brought up, and by Aya's reaction, I assume it has something to do with her decision of whether to move the States or not. Lots to untangle...

Why is it here? Putting aside all the genre-tag business which may or not turn out the way you think it will, this story is here because it’s a fun story with cute characters, unusual and evocative art, and sweet interactions among the cast.

Not every story is designed to meet your individual emotional needs. It’s possible to just read a story for what’s actually on the page and not obsess about what other people say about it.

What Blastaar said.

To reply you must either login or sign up.