Forum › How Do I Get Together With My Childhood Friend? discussion

Sono.hanabira.ni.kuchizuke.o.-.atelier.no.koibito-tachi.full.1462399_avartar
joined May 28, 2015

"I don't like girls, I'm [her crush's name] sexual, I only love that person for now and forever". Yep, everything to avoid saying the word lesbian or gay. At least she doesn't use the word Yuri to describe her sexual orientation

644a9551982db70ad739d195df9452e7
joined Mar 7, 2021

My fucking god the sudden introduction of shit disturber characters is the worst trope/ plot device in the history of romance manga.

I understand the ooooh she's going to be the driving force that makes yuzu realize her own feeling but that doesn't make it any less of a shit tool.

I feel like especially shit like this happens too much in romcom type romances where the author can't seem to find a way to push their characters without using a melodrama drama genre trope.

last edited at Aug 4, 2023 7:09AM

Moddedpolka2
joined Oct 9, 2016

The art is awesome, I love the characters. But as I've said here before, I really don't like love triangles, attempts to break up couples, cheating and such. I hope this passes quickly and don't escalate more.

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

HRLP it's an effecient lesbian!!!

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

"I don't like girls, I'm [her crush's name] sexual, I only love that person for now and forever". Yep, everything to avoid saying the word lesbian or gay. At least she doesn't use the word Yuri to describe her sexual orientation

How political she is

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

is it just me or is this manga sometimes painful to read? it feels like second hand embarrassment, but she's not really doing anything embarrassing so I don't know what it is

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

is it just me or is this manga sometimes painful to read? it feels like second hand embarrassment, but she's not really doing anything embarrassing so I don't know what it is

It's about awkward teenagers being awkward, of course it gives off second-hand embarrassment.

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

My fucking god the sudden introduction of shit disturber characters is the worst trope/ plot device in the history of romance manga.

I understand the ooooh she's going to be the driving force that makes yuzu realize her own feeling but that doesn't make it any less of a shit tool.

I feel like especially shit like this happens too much in romcom type romances where the author can't seem to find a way to push their characters without using a melodrama drama genre trope.

Honestly this, when I saw her appear in Chap 13 I immediately was like oh no, I'm not going to like this development and then Chap 14 really drove that home...

Also throughout this manga, it gave the vibe of "homophobia doesn't exist/super normal to date girls" which is fine, it happens a lot in Yuri and at least it means you can forgo the angsty "but we're both girls!!" route - though now with this new character being like "oh I have a chance cause you also like girls!" it really is now having to address that to date girls means you are part of a minority, though maybe this will be ignored by the classic "I don't see her as a girl, I see her as Yuzu" which I really hate as a trope.

To me its lazy writing, Yuzu has been projecting "friend only" signs throughout the whole manga so far, I think it would've been more interesting for Minami to confess and for Yuzu to deal with that, whenever she does something too touchy she would become hyper aware and awkward, her thinking over what she thinks their friendship is, maybe the confession triggering something to make her think about Minami in a romantic way and then slowly developing feelings.

But introducing this meddling student who's going to be very blatant in how she feels, just for a an easy solution of "Yuzu will feel jealous and then realise her feelings" is so boring...

joined Mar 4, 2018

That has to be one of the most awkward and hamfisted delivery of the "single target yuri" trope I've ever seen.

I understand the reasoning behind the trope in manga, even if I don't agree with it. But it really only works if it goes unsaid, because all things being equal, "I never noticed that my crush happened to be the same sex as me" is something that no teenager has ever thought ever, in the history of the entire fucking world.

joined Apr 10, 2023

To me the "I don't like girls, I just happen to like [name] because she is [name]" trope is just a big red flag that the writer is approaching the story from the angle of yuri as a romantic fantasy rather than homosexuality as a reality.
It's not that they're necessarily trying to be homophobic, but...

I agree with this, super annoyed by that line. Nobody in the entire human population is literally only attracted to one single person, people think stray thoughts about celebrities and beautiful strangers all the time. Our MC apparently lacking these doesn't make her any specific kind of queer person, it makes her seem hollow. She had enough self awareness in chapter two to test her feelings for Yuzu by imagining having sex with her, which was a great and very realistic feeling choice compared to the standard "how do I feel about this person compared to my other friends". And yet she's been asked out by multiple guys and never considered the difference here? It feels ridiculous, a dumb yuri trope jammed awkwardly in the script where actual personality should be.

I don't mind the kohai at all, except that it seems like we should have seen her before if she's managed to fall in love with our exclusive perspective character lol.

last edited at Aug 18, 2023 3:11AM

Couple_under_the_stars
joined Nov 7, 2022

(Some) readers' expectations : "Well, I have been entirely focused on Yuzu and no one else since the first chapter, where I actually realized that my feelings were romantic... but now that you put me on the spot, I guess I must state that I'd be okay with any girl." This interpretation of some readers, that Minami having someone specific that she likes instead of being interested in girls in general (a staple in many romance stories, yuri or otherwise) is offensive, is godsdamn idiotic.

With some of those comments, I can just picture people on this forum going to someone irl who already is in love with someone, and asking them "would you date another girl, or are you homophobic ?". Because, you know, if she likes a girl she's a potential date interest. (It's obviously /s, but a lot of people who comment on yuri manga seem to actually think that, so I guess it's important to mention that I don't actually believe it ?)

And if you truly believe that... should I even point out that "there's a chance you'll look at me like that too" is literally what the other character answered in response ? Frankly, what the fuck did you want Minami to answer to Nanase's comment that would have made you happy ?

I'll go off and cool down a little, because the way these forums are completely ignoring the dynamic between the characters, the circumstances, and the message that the new girl is sending, is making me mad.

joined Apr 10, 2023

And if you truly believe that... should I even point out that "there's a chance you'll look at me like that too" is literally what the other character answered in response ? Frankly, what the fuck did you want Minami to answer to Nanase's comment that would have made you happy ?

This is easy. Instead of responding to "you like girls" with "huh, I've never really thought about it, but really I'm a yuzusexual" she could say something else, preferably something that fits her character and doesn't make her seem like a cardboard cutout of a yuri trope. For example, she could say "While that's true, since you know that I'm in love I hope you can respect that". Or "Sure, I like girls, but that doesn't mean I like every girl, sorry kohai". She could even bypass the question of sexuality entirely and simply shoot down the kohai, it doesn't really matter why she thinks she has a chance, she doesn't. She could just not say the really stupid line that makes her seem brainless.

last edited at Aug 19, 2023 4:38PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Cute.

Type1afterthecurtaincallssoyoungregrets_sm2
joined Sep 1, 2021

Author, Yasaka: Pages of color art of longing gazes and an image of mutual gentle touches.
Also Author, Yasaka: "If you're wondering... Yuzu's probably just thinking about what's for dinner"

I think volume 1 extras is word of god; Yuzu rarely if ever thinks gay thoughts up to that point. The art can't be mined for scraps of meaning other than we know she has a deep emotional bond with Minami and little introspection early on. It was the likely case, but still a bit of a shame. She might gradually become aware without it being telegraphed to the reader, in those little moments facing away from POV after big moments, but overall she's still unrealistically dense.

Just caught up. I agree the underclassman rival plot is too sudden, too contrived, and I have low hopes for the second festival date especially if that's what pushes Yuzu. It seems within this author's ability to subvert or complicate the situation, like for Minami to negotiate out of the festival date to another time where it's a more relatable sexuality-testing date, or a situation that doesn't visibly affect Yuzu's possessiveness and Minami is the one to break... but I won't bet on it. Even Minami being outed this arc is too optimistic. No, either Yuzu will get worked up from an overdone situation or Yuzu will simply uncomfortably face away from the POV for another fist clench or a "that was scary!" interjection that won't matter a chapter later.

last edited at Sep 17, 2023 7:04PM

Yuibless
joined Jan 30, 2017

"Because you can never have enough lesbians"

I sure can't. Please more.

joined Dec 28, 2016

What's with Japan and lesbians? It's all good with girls liking other girls but when it comes to giving it a name it's like NO, LESBIANS DO NOT EXIST

Seriously like, it's just dumb to say yeah I'm in love with a girl (and I am a girl) but that doesn't mean I like girls?? Alright

Edit: ok I see now everyone else is pointing that out too, nice

Maybe because the word "lesbian" already is weighted with connotation and they don't want the baggage that it's associated with? Keep in mind the word entered east asian lexicon before the concept even became well known. Probably primarily through adult media. So yeah they'd want to have a different word.

Keep in mind you're coming at this from an english speaking western perspective. You don't see any of the cultural baggage attached to foreign loan words.

last edited at Sep 18, 2023 6:23AM

joined Jul 5, 2022

tbh at this point let’s go for the gold and hit every yuri trope we got so many

last edited at Sep 20, 2023 9:48PM

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Looks like there's a mixup. 14 mixed with 15. This isn't chapter 15. Only the last two or so pages are from 15.

last edited at Sep 21, 2023 8:29PM

Screenshot_7
joined Aug 22, 2014

Well, not everyone has the same experience in life and love. When I was 17 and started liking my best friend (a girl) I didn't feel I was "gay" either. She was the only person I liked til then and I felt so strongly for her that I thought she was gonna be the only person I'd ever love in my whole life. Thinking about other guys or girls in a romantic light repulsed me. In that sense, I also thought "I must be (crush)sexual". I didn't feel the need to question anything about my sexual orientation, it never even crossed my mind, I just wanted her to feel the same.

Now I know I'm bi, but I didn't like anyone else til mid college (21/22), when I fell for a guy... only then I felt the need to label myself. If you think about it, straight people aren't pressured to think about that stuff, so why should we? The world is changing, let's normalize being attracted to different genders

20230811_115727_adobe_express
joined Sep 21, 2019

Looks like she clearly isn't okay with it, at least. Good.

But yeah, gotta agree that this kind of plot is fairly infuriating... just hope it's gonna be over soon enough.

last edited at Sep 21, 2023 8:42PM

Mini%20new%20shiny%20greninja%20avatar
joined Jul 24, 2021

It started off so strong and now it's gotten so bogged down... I hope what the author has coming up can actually move the story forward a little.

Lojsdbe
joined Sep 16, 2019

Damn, Kamiya’s a bitch. Hope she gets her heart crushed before this ends.

Sdgd
joined Aug 22, 2014

hate this bitch so much.

This series is falling off.

last edited at Sep 21, 2023 9:30PM

66f-1
joined Dec 27, 2020

Morgan Freemen narrator: She was not okay with it...

joined Jan 4, 2021

this just, makes me not want to continue reading anymore, tbh

To reply you must either login or sign up.