Forum › How Do I Get Together With My Childhood Friend? discussion

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

... yeah I don't like this either. Why is there even any need to introduce this new character when there's... you know, the fucking second main character, and we still barely know anything about her feelings regarding the first main character? And I barely started distinguishing between the other three lmao.

I think this is just another excuse for the author to keep up the gag of "Minami is freaking out" but in slightly new situations, I don't really have much hope left for this manga.

If this was any other manga, I’d be a little annoyed at the love triangle trope coming into play. However, Yuzu’s so fucking dense a little competition would barely faze her, and we’ve made like zero progress in Minami’s attempts to make Yuzu aware of her, like not even a little blush or shyness at the the thought of only the two of them going around the festival. Like even I’m rooting for any sort of development even if it’s from a third party at this point.

The thing is, I fully believe it's on the author, not Yuzu, we simply have no idea what is she thinking because the author completely avoids her perspective. I doubt she thinks absolutely nothing of it and we had little glimpses that I thought would be elaborated on ("I was always fond of Minami"), and absolutely nothing came of it. If the author wants to go with the old trope of new character to make the plot go forward... then sure, I don't dislike it that much (it's only just a little tired), but combining this with complete radio silence from Yuzu it just makes me baffled. It's not even that there is no progress, we don't even know if there is progress or not :P

last edited at Aug 3, 2023 6:04AM

Couple_under_the_stars
joined Nov 7, 2022

Kinda funny that a few people are riled up because of the manga using the trope of "I love her because she's Yuzu, not because she's a girl". I mean, sure, I understand disliking this... except it was always very clear that Minami doesn't like anyone other than Yuzu.

And in the same chapter, the new girl says exactly the opposite - that liking girls in general is more important. Feels a bit weird that what the new girl said were completely ignored in the comments. Maybe because she's set up as a rival ?

Anyway, still rooting for Hinori x Nanase once Minami sorts out this mess.

joined Dec 23, 2016

Ima be honest with you all, this whole "i love you bc its you" isnt even exclusive of gay stories, so i dont think its that big of an issue

Granted, i do see where youre coming from, but i think its a bit exaggerated

Ah yes, the famous "I'm not straight I just love you because its you" trope that is definitely real

Gotta give the author credit for introducing forced, unnecessary conflict and the "I want to write stories about gay girls without looking like I support gays" classic in one chapter, really going the distance on torpedoing this

last edited at Aug 3, 2023 7:14AM

joined May 10, 2021

Aw shucks, not the "let's insert a random love rival that's way too pushy for no reason to make things go forward" trope ..
Thanks for the chapter!

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Aw shucks, not the "let's insert a random love rival that's way too pushy for no reason to make things go forward" trope ..
Thanks for the chapter!

Honestly, this has been circling for a bit so I'm not even mad at it. A bit disgruntled, a bit ruffled but not mad. At least it shows some intent to move this forward a bit.

It's not even that there is no progress, we don't even know if there is progress or not :P

Agreed. I think that's on purpose. They seem to want us to be in the same position as the MC, with limited knowledge (normal stuff). It's just that the story hasn't done much with it up to now. Kind of spinning it's wheels in fluff and hang out chapters.

last edited at Aug 3, 2023 8:05AM

Screen%20shot%202024-03-24%20at%209.39.46%20am
joined May 8, 2017

this manga is too slow

'yuri' = relationships between girls

not 'face in clit after first meeting'

Couple_under_the_stars
joined Nov 7, 2022

Ah yes, the famous "I'm not straight I just love you because its you" trope that is definitely real

If I had to think of het stories where the FMC says "Yeah, I love guys in general" and acknowledging that she's not just in love with the MMC, and compare it to the number of women in yuri who have exes or are confident in their sexuality... I'd say yuri comes ahead in not making most of the stories single-target loves, actually.

Also, Minami absolutely doesn't say she's not gay (which would be pretty lacking in self-awareness, anyway). She just says she hadn't thought of it because she's only ever loved one person, and she doesn't feel any more attracted to girls who aren't Yuzu than to guys.

Granted, making Nanase fall for another girl would break down that trope, and it's part of why I hope that's how it goes. But it's a bit extreme to call it a chapter about "looking like the author doesn't support gays" when it literally introduced in the latest chapter a girl who says she's looking for a woman who loves women.

joined Feb 1, 2021

A new love rival suddenly appearing from nowhere is frankly totally in keeping with this manga's vibe, it has always been goofy chaos

joined Dec 22, 2021

Normally i hate these rival sub plots.

But in this case there has been no progress between the two girls and seeing Yuzu being confessed to is what started the manga, so a rival might be what is needed for Yuzu to realize her Feelings.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Cutest hamster ever. And an entirely unnecessary third wheel.

Cs4_cover
joined Jul 13, 2015

Poly option is opening

Subaru
joined Jul 31, 2019

this manga is too slow

'yuri' = relationships between girls

not 'face in clit after first meeting'

I wouldn't say the relationship is explored very well if after 14 chapters we still only have the perspective of one side of it. It's not even that it's slow, they keep hiding half of it from us :P So the only thing the author can do at this point is the same joke 20 times.

They seem to want us to be in the same position as the MC, with limited knowledge (normal stuff). It's just that the story hasn't done much with it up to now.

... well, because I don't think you even can do much with it. It's fine for a couple of chapters, but not the whole damn story. It obviously was on purpose, I just think it's been a mistake.

last edited at Aug 3, 2023 9:00AM

joined Feb 24, 2023

Why should I suddenly care about this random kouhai character who came out of nowhere to romance the protag? Just seems like very random pointless drama because the story lacked a serious conflict, no build up at all.

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

Poly option is opening

As the captain of the good ship HiYuMi, always has been. (⁠ ̄⁠ヘ⁠ ̄⁠;⁠)

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

Ima be honest with you all, this whole "i love you bc its you" isnt even exclusive of gay stories, so i dont think its that big of an issue

Granted, i do see where youre coming from, but i think its a bit exaggerated

Take out the sexual orientation part and replace it with anything else and you will get what i actually meant, this trope is as old as couples, its just not very compatible with stories that actually rely on the sexual orientation part...

pumpkinmonster
Ea068ec8502133f96ff1a1123008a767
joined Mar 26, 2020

nuh uh get away girl

Pinekon
joined Jan 10, 2022

I hope it's not my fault for this trope discussion, since I was quoted first. It was late and my brain found it funny that instead of saying "We're both girls" or "We're both women" she said "We're both females". Just sounded funny at the time

Anime%20girl%20bong%20small
joined Jan 1, 2022

People on here always hate this kind of interloper character, but I like this girl so far. She's confident and her logic makes more sense than Minami's. She'll act cute and obnoxious for a few chapters before getting soundly rejected in a way that builds progress for the main couple.

It's a played-out trope sure, but so's the rest of this manga.

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

Here comes the usurper as a catalyst arc. Still, it'd be nice to have multiple suitors.

Phone
joined Oct 7, 2017

To me the "I don't like girls, I just happen to like [name] because she is [name]" trope is just a big red flag that the writer is approaching the story from the angle of yuri as a romantic fantasy rather than homosexuality as a reality.
It's not that they're necessarily trying to be homophobic, but...

joined Aug 29, 2019

To me the "I don't like girls, I just happen to like [name] because she is [name]" trope is just a big red flag that the writer is approaching the story from the angle of yuri as a romantic fantasy rather than homosexuality as a reality.

There's no need for a "but".
Indifference towards the gender of your own or someone else's love interest used to be an ideal, an aspiration. It certainly doesn't represent societal reality at large, but I still see it as an ideal. If you're in a monogamous relationship, you're effectively "monosexual" anyway.

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

With a positive spin one could at least see it as pansexual rep~ bc "the gender doesn't matter, i like them bc of the person they are" is what that is, essentially.
If you can block out the red-flagged way of how this trope has been used before.

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

There's no need for a "but".
Indifference towards the gender of your own or someone else's love interest used to be an ideal, an aspiration. It certainly doesn't represent societal reality at large, but I still see it as an ideal. If you're in a monogamous relationship, you're effectively "monosexual" anyway.

That would imply that your sexuality only exists when you're acting upon it. You can still find other people attractive in a healthy, stable, monogamous relationship.

Anyway, this manga has really fallen for me, which is unfortunate. It was getting translated around the same time as "Our Yuri Started With Me Getting Rejected in a Dream", but the difference in execution feels much better in that one, not because anything has happened in that one either, but at least we get both people's perspectives like someone else said. I still have no clue what Yuzu's deal is. And it's weird because this manga started out with Yuzu being confessed to. It would be easy enough for someone, anyone, to start a conversation with Yuzu about what if anything she's feeling. I don't know, I'll keep reading this till the end probably, but I don't look forward to it in the same way anymore.

joined Aug 29, 2019

That would imply that your sexuality only exists when you're acting upon it. You can still find other people attractive in a healthy, stable, monogamous relationship.

Fair point, though "finding people attractive" and "being romantically drawn to someone" are not the same either (plus, that's also the reason why I qualified the "monosexual" with "effectively"). Personally, I do find certain people of either sex attractive (aesthetically and sexually), it's just that the only people I've ever had romantic feelings towards happened to be of the other sex. That in no way means there couldn't have been someone of the same sex to draw me in.

Anyway, this manga has really fallen for me, which is unfortunate. It was getting translated around the same time as "Our Yuri Started With Me Getting Rejected in a Dream", but the difference in execution feels much better in that one [...] I don't know, I'll keep reading this till the end probably, but I don't look forward to it in the same way anymore.

Yeah, I'd have to agree. I loved this one at the start. Art style, characters, pacing, everything felt right at the start, but it's kind of started to lose its luster. Hijiki's offering feels quite a bit more focused, and while the actual progress made is quite similar, this one feels much more like it's just meandering.

last edited at Aug 3, 2023 5:42PM

7c3371fc-1218-42e3-9009-8520d7f626fa
joined Sep 15, 2020

What's with Japan and lesbians? It's all good with girls liking other girls but when it comes to giving it a name it's like NO, LESBIANS DO NOT EXIST

Seriously like, it's just dumb to say yeah I'm in love with a girl (and I am a girl) but that doesn't mean I like girls?? Alright

Edit: ok I see now everyone else is pointing that out too, nice

To be fair, Minami’s never liked anyone else, she could be bi, pan, or most likely a demi too, it’s just that right now she’s in love with Yuzu.

Isn’t it kind of insane she never had a “I LIKE GIRLS?!?!?!? Not DUDES?!?!? What does this make me? self reflection for potential identity” moment though? Sure she might be bi but the issue people are pointing out is that there’s no reflection of sexuality at all, or the slightest consideration of “I might be [lgbt+ label Japan pretends doesn’t exist cause they’re homophonic].

Not gonna lie, if I was to question liking someone of the same sex or suddenly seeing a childhood best friend I’ve known for over a decade in a romantic light, I’d be more surprised of the latter. It’s more because how casually they acted before and Minami never considered that possibility she liked Yuzu a different way that stands out more to me. For example, if she never witnessed the confession, would she have ever realized at all she ”loved” Yuzu, or is something that she would’ve realized in the future. Because the way I see it, Minami probably would’ve never realized she was romantically in love with Yuzu, if witnessing the confession of that dude didn’t serve as a catalyst, which might be what the author is trying to go for with the new girl, to be Yuzu’s catalyst for realizing too.

To reply you must either login or sign up.