Forum › My Girlfriend's Not Here Today discussion

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

These two previous chapters have been pretty boring. First Nanase does the reasonable thing and walks away, I definitely expected something a lot more dumb and entertaining. As for this latest chapter, nothing much happened at all I guess, just Yuni being Yuni because that's what Yuni do. Ah well, maybe next time eh?

Midnightgunner
Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

Midnightgunner posted:

There is nothing to spoil because this series is still ongoing. Chapter 19 came out like yesterday

What about the raws?

The raws came out like yesterday too. The scanlator is uber fast.

It's a shame that actual good stories don't translate as fast as this...

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Plenty of people love Kyoukano (including me, or I wouldn't translate it so fast).

Sure... But A LOT also hate her work... and I see a lot of criticism about the author writting skills in here and at 4chan.

last edited at Jul 19, 2023 8:46AM

Jamal_Williams69
joined May 13, 2018

Nanase hasn't been written as a character willing to share her girlfriend, so I'd be disappointed if it went that route. What I am more sad about is poor Yuki having feelings for Nanase without even realizing it herself.

20200119_124434
joined Jan 19, 2020

I really really enjoy this damn manga and read them all in a row. I absolutely hate cheating but this mess is really enjoyable to look at. Super nice to read, beautiful artstyle and yes almost everyone is shit but that's fine for me. Fuuko is my favorite, it always gets entertaining and a bit fucked up with her.

The look she threw at Nanase at ch 16 was my favorite panel so far, so good

last edited at Jul 19, 2023 9:56AM

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

Midnightgunner posted:

Sure... But A LOT also hate her work... and I see a lot of criticism about the author writting skills in here and at 4chan.

They just don't understand her genius.

Her writing, page composition; her characters expressions, movements, eyes, etc, are carefully crafted. When Fuuko wraps an arm around Yuni when confronting Nanase, it has meaning. When Fuuko puts her foot besides Yuni, it has meaning. When Nanase slightly blushes when Yuki hugs her, it has meaning.

You might no like the story because you're uncomfortable with the themes, but it doesn't mean the author is bad at what she does. On the contrary, she's very good. She call it herself "kuzu yuri", ie, "trash yuri" and everything is done on purpose to be the most infuriating possible. And obviously, her Japanese audience follows, because her serialization continues.

If you really hate it, just don't read it. Simple as that.

If you keep on reading, it means you're still fascinated, like watching a train wreck, and the author met their goal.

joined Jun 27, 2022

Midnightgunner posted:

Her writing, page composition; her characters expressions, movements, eyes, etc, are carefully crafted. When Fuuko wraps an arm around Yuni when confronting Nanase, it has meaning. When Fuuko puts her foot besides Yuni, it has meaning. When Nanase slightly blushes when Yuki hugs her, it has meaning.

You might no like the story because you're uncomfortable with the themes, but it doesn't mean the author is bad at what she does. On the contrary, she's very good. She call it herself "kuzu yuri", ie, "trash yuri" and everything is done on purpose to be the most infuriating possible. And obviously, her Japanese audience follows, because her serialization continues.

If you keep on reading, it means you're still fascinated, like watching a train wreck, and the author met their goal.

Bro she's not a misunderstood genius, yes her panel work, art, composition, their facial expressions etc are brilliantly done but thats not thx to the writing. The visuals are stunning and I'm pretty sure that's what most people suck in, the amount of Fuuko simps is insane just because she's so beautifully drawn ( and a ruthless, cunning slightly sadistic player to boot)

It's a big success especially in Japan cause they do love their cheating/cuck fetish. It's not hard to write things infuriatiing when everything is over the top and at it's worst.

A good example of succesfull bad writing is redo of healer. It's pure trash, like the cheapest, dumbest juvenile nasty plot imaginable where everything can happen cause no rules exist. (Ofcourse this Manga is not nearly as bad as redo of healer, just to get my point across successful doesn't equalent good writing or being misunderstood)

Why do people love it? Cause it's shocking and thrilling, its full of sexual sadism and novelty. Same goes for this manga, it's interesting because of the forbidden theme, the cheating, cruelty, the immorality etc..
Those authors are successful because they give people what they want but it doesn't take a genius to write this.

Believe me the moment this manga will focus more on on character and to some extent world building people will lose interest. That would take good writing to pull off. I mean this subtle chapter has almost zero comments on her twitter.

So I think the criticism of the writing is fair and that doesn't mean people dislike it. If you keep bashing it just cause cheating then yeah, you shouldn't read this. Im still interested but since the cheating is out it's getting kinda boring tbh. I do admit I sometimes get to harsch when the writing bugs me.

Just my two cents and not judging anyone who enjoys this or even stuff like redo of healer.

last edited at Jul 19, 2023 12:39PM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Midnightgunner posted:

A truly excellent reply. I can only clap and endorse.

Sayaka_ava
joined Nov 23, 2014

Ahh yes, good old internet discourse, where everything is either the purest form of trash or unparalleled work genius. Well, I suppose it makes some sense to swing for the fences when trying to counter opposing thoughts. You are probably not going to convince anyone anyway, so might as well go big or go home!

Avatar%20knights%20badass%20hung%20clipboard01
joined Feb 25, 2023

Bro she's not a misunderstood genius

Bro I'd say she isn't. She's very well understood and enormously successful in Japan. And if some bro in America doesn't like her work, well, I'm sure she could draw a beautiful pic of the turd of shit she doesn't give about that.

Thank you so much for your hard work, Kirin-kun! I almost can't believe you did cl/rd/tl/ts so fast all by yourself! You're the best! ♡

last edited at Jul 19, 2023 1:45PM

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

Plenty of people love Kyoukano (including me, or I wouldn't translate it so fast).

Damn. I bet Iwami Kiyoko would be devastated to hear that channers hate her work. Heartbroken, even.

last edited at Jul 19, 2023 12:57PM

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Damn. I bet Iwami Kiyoko would be devastated to hear that channers hate her work. Heartbroken, even.

4-Chan and Dynasty (or forums in general) have a lock on literary quality, masses be damned. Making a popular series like this is easy, any writer could do it, so they say. Yet, somehow, "any writer" doesn't do it.

But anyway, this series could go in any direction and that makes each chapter drop so interesting. I'm really looking forward to re-reading this series once it's done, so I can pick its brains a bit. So many decisions from the author that make it work, but it's hard to analyze them all while in motion.

last edited at Jul 19, 2023 2:00PM

joined May 28, 2021

It's not even true that 4chan hates this. On the contrary, it's one of the most popular ongoing yuri manga there.

joined Apr 2, 2023

I love Fuuko, the way she put her foot on the desk was soooo cool. Every move this girl does screams confidence. Thank you for the translation, I really appreciate it!

KatzeDerNacht
08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Hmm... I need more nonsensical drama so the shitshow keeps moving forward!!!!

joined Jan 21, 2020

Midnightgunner posted:

Gotta say, the "people who dont like it just dont understand it" argument is and always has been wack. At the end of the day, the quality of this series, just like any other piece of fiction, is subjective, wether you think its great or terrible.

joined Jul 7, 2020

man.

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

It's nice and all that the scanlator works so fast...oh wait,VOLUME THREE.

joined Jun 21, 2021

Midnightgunner posted:

There is nothing to spoil because this series is still ongoing. Chapter 19 came out like yesterday

What about the raws?

The raws came out like yesterday too. The scanlator is uber fast.

We appreciate the speed you bring us this latest toxic cesspool

joined Apr 6, 2019

You might no like the story because you're uncomfortable with the themes, but it doesn't mean the author is bad at what she does. On the contrary, she's very good. She call it herself "kuzu yuri", ie, "trash yuri" and everything is done on purpose to be the most infuriating possible.

Somehow the manga I like the most these days are either kuzu yuri or prostitution yuri, sometimes both... Sorry but I'm Not Into Yuri, My Girlfriend's Not Here Today, A Scummy Gap Student With a Hard Life Calls Upon a Lady of the Night, Asumi-chan Is Interested In Lesbian Brothels...

Nothing better than smashing moral correctness into smithereens, yessir.

342713096_945190890232560_6363820535049258469_n
joined Mar 18, 2023

I cannot believe it. The artist STILL manages to establish a potential poly relationship. I really thought she could not do that for this manga, the theme was just too different from her past "poly" work. And now this. The only question other than resolving this chapter is, will the next chapter be the final one? Yes, this chapter is a miracle. It is soo good.

A8655427-a1fe-40eb-9c2f-10bb35cb2487
joined Aug 26, 2018

this cuckfest shall bloom onto polyamory

joined Jun 27, 2022

Bro she's not a misunderstood genius

Bro I'd say she isn't. She's very well understood and enormously successful in Japan. And if some bro in America doesn't like her work, well, I'm sure she could draw a beautiful pic of the turd of shit she doesn't give about that.

Thank you so much for your hard work, Kirin-kun! I almost can't believe you did cl/rd/tl/ts so fast all by yourself! You're the best! ♡

Bru I'm not from murica but thx for assuming that, guess my English passes then ;). I would love to see that beautiful turd though, I bet she could make it happen.

Oh yeah and Kirin-kun good job indeed, I have never seen someone upload a new chapter this fast. Keep em coming and don't mind folks like me who have some beef with the writing ✌️

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but is definitely fun, welll paced and it definitely draws your attention whether you like it or not. The author had a clear vision of what type of story she wanted to tell and so far has been executing it flawlessly.

Qy1n9jd3ivu
joined Dec 23, 2018

Leg kabedon says it all!

KatzeDerNacht
08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

I like the author so much more now with those extras and the afterword!!!

To reply you must either login or sign up.