Forum › A Monster Wants to Eat Me discussion

joined Apr 30, 2021

How come this manga has a yuri tag? There are no romantic relationships between the three main characters. Both the kitsune and the Ningyo protect Hinako at all cost but with different motives. At no times do these three show signs of being gay.

I feel like it's yuri in subtext - it's basically a coming-of-age story dressed up in monsters.

Hinako was essentially forced into adulthood after her accident, and as part of this 'growing up', she unknowingly became very attractive (to monsters). Most of the ones she attracts are dangerous creeps that her best friend Miko drives off behind her back. But Miko is attracted to her too, and holds herself back because she doesn't want to hurt her friend. And then there's Shiori, who openly admits her attraction but doesn't want to do anything until Hinako herself is ready for it.

Or something, I dunno.

last edited at Mar 8, 2023 1:50PM

7c3371fc-1218-42e3-9009-8520d7f626fa
joined Sep 15, 2020

How come this manga has a yuri tag? There are no romantic relationships between the three main characters. Both the kitsune and the Ningyo protect Hinako at all cost but with different motives. At no times do these three show signs of being gay.

The author themself tagged this as Yuri for where you can read the series officially. It’s likely going to be very slow burn, with the romance aspect likely coming after Hinako is in a better emotional and mental state, because let’s be honest, romance or love is the last thing Hinako needs to be worried about when she’s like this.

joined Jun 12, 2015

Animu when?

104001606_p0_master1200
joined Feb 27, 2023

The author themself tagged this as Yuri for where you can read the series officially. It’s likely going to be very slow burn, with the romance aspect likely coming after Hinako is in a better emotional and mental state, because let’s be honest, romance or love is the last thing Hinako needs to be worried about when she’s like this.

I'll check back, I have the raw and up to date. 4-koma extra after 27. (ie.Volume 6 extra) I do not know which chapter the author tagged herself though. I am ahead of you guys. Can you give me the chapter(s) that I can go back to check?

last edited at Mar 10, 2023 12:30AM

The immaculate
joined Mar 19, 2020

That last page was so much a surprise it made me laugh. Love the way she told us what happened while leaving out the whole why of the situation and why she even cares about her now, is there some thing where if hinako dies she does as well?

Screenshot_20231219-103652~2
joined Sep 10, 2022

100%. Plus I don't know that there's nothing loving happening here. Yes, there's been no blushing but there's more to it all than that and this story has a greater purpose than just romance. Besides, it's kind of hard to date or show that sexual affection when the other person is suicidal and the story is wholly focused on properly depicting that at the moment. Dealing with her trauma comes first. If they ever get together it'll likely be towards the end.

last edited at Mar 27, 2023 7:30AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Well, that was interesting indeed. Did not expect her to have received the blood already before the accident. Although we still don't know the exact circumstances that led to this...

joined Jul 8, 2019

wat

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

re: Credits page. The people are indeed clamoring for more enemies-to-lovers, but Shiori x Miro is pure crack ship. ^^;

joined Jan 21, 2020

Tbh even tho the story is probably gonna head in a hinako x shiori direction, as it is right now id prefere to see hinako x miro. Will be interesting to see what exactly shioris deal is tho, based off of her reaction, she does seem to care a great deal about hinako.

Absolute-territory-2.jpg
joined Mar 4, 2018

I feel like it's yuri in subtext - it's basically a coming-of-age story dressed up in monsters.

Hinako was essentially forced into adulthood after her accident, and as part of this 'growing up', she unknowingly became very attractive (to monsters). Most of the ones she attracts are dangerous creeps that her best friend Miko drives off behind her back. But Miko is attracted to her too, and holds herself back because she doesn't want to hurt her friend. And then there's Shiori, who openly admits her attraction but doesn't want to do anything until Hinako herself is ready for it.

Or something, I dunno.

I like your analogy, because I just don't get this story (as in reasonable suspension of disbelief).

joined Aug 29, 2019

Well, that was interesting indeed. Did not expect her to have received the blood already before the accident. Although we still don't know the exact circumstances that led to this...

True, I also thought it was as a remedy to save her (motivation unknown?). It will be interesting to see where we go with regards to what kind of debt Shiori owed Hinako and how exactly things happened back then.

Still loving it as much as I ever have.
Plus the monsters being drawn to appear truly monstrous is still refreshing.

2here3there
joined Mar 19, 2022

Hinako saying " You really are a monster. " makes my melodramatic heart soar

joined Oct 10, 2016

Wtf is this plot twist?

Screen%20shot%202020-07-16%20at%209.34.01%20pm
joined Mar 25, 2020

wat

i was thinking the same thing

Eterna%20rinebow%20small
joined Oct 20, 2017

Romance or sexuality can be a basis of Yuri, but a story can also belong in the genre if the relationship in focus is intense in some other way. Plus it's an official designation from the author.

But also, I don't know what else to call this scenario anyway. Two monster girls, desperately trying to keep a human girl alive, even though one of them has to fight the urge to eat her, and the other one also wanted to eat her until the monster blood transfusion... I think I understand what the author is going for (although I wouldn't mind if the story took an explicitly romantic turn).

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

Say...

Would Hinako x Miko fall under size diff?

The_argent_god_100px_avatar
joined Jul 28, 2019

Say...

Would Hinako x Miko fall under size diff?

From the little glimpse we saw of Shiori's true form it would no matter which way it went.

joined Oct 5, 2017

Wonder why Dynasty is so far behind in the manga? We're currently up to ch28.

joined May 23, 2023

https://medium.com/@peter91916/a-monster-wants-to-eat-me-the-aesthetics-of-mono-no-aware-d259325fd542

In order to reply to those comments who just purely think the wish to die is something that has to see a doctor, here is the opinion to tell you that is not a suitable perspective.

342713096_945190890232560_6363820535049258469_n
joined Mar 18, 2023

3 year anniversary issue, 10/ oct 23, rawI do not know about the chapter number. back into The tourist kitsune tries to "help" Miko to turn back into what a kitsune supposed to do, ie, people eating monster.

last edited at Oct 5, 2023 2:00AM

joined Oct 10, 2016

Is this manga dead? Should I start searching elsewhere?

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

Is this manga dead? Should I start searching elsewhere?

It's up to date on Mangadex (chapter 32), but translated by other people, The translation quality varies from group to group, but overall readable to understand what's going on.

joined Oct 10, 2016

It's up to date on Mangadex (chapter 32), but translated by other people, The translation quality varies from group to group, but overall readable to understand what's going on.

Noted, thanks, gotta edit my lists then.

342713096_945190890232560_6363820535049258469_n
joined Mar 18, 2023

I love this manga to the point of buying the raw every month (I'm at 33 now). It actually getting better and better. But I now begin to think that the yuri tag may not apply. There is neither romantic love nor desire of lust between the three main characters. None of the three also have feelings for other people. Maybe other type of love, I don't know. Miko does what she does out of guilt. Shiori lies all the time to try to stop Hinako committing suicide because her "warrantee" to give Hinako a long life is not working because Hinako sabotages herself, with survivors guilt.

To reply you must either login or sign up.