Forum › I Love You, I Like You, I Mean It discussion

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Meh.

6 months or more of miscommunication, because "suki" is an ambiguous declaration.

And the older woman was just an ass.

joined Oct 22, 2021

Hmm. How old is the author?

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

The afterword saying that they didn't start dating, also furthering that there's a lot of weird mind games between the characters. Stating how there needs to be VERY specific things said for anything to progress, the bit about "just a taste". It's all incredibly frustrating.

I liked the art and the age gap between 20s and 40s here has the potential to be fun, the kiss panel was spicy. It's just the mind games and wasting the MC's time is so exhaustive. As Nya said the older woman also strikes me as an ass, not a goddess like the MC claims she is.

last edited at Mar 4, 2023 4:25AM

joined May 3, 2014

The afterword saying that they didn't start dating, also furthering that there's a lot of weird mind games between the characters. Stating how there needs to be VERY specific things said for anything to progress, the bit about "just a taste". It's all incredibly frustrating.

I liked the art and the age gap between 20s and 40s here has the potential to be fun, the kiss panel was spicy. It's just the mind games and wasting the MC's time is so exhaustive. As Nya said the older woman also strikes me as an ass, not a goddess like the MC claims she is.

yeah what’s up with that? they didn’t start dating? then what are they ? fuck buddys?? 0.0

I mean the MC WOO HER for 6 months and she did say she wanted a chance at love so how doea this not mean they aren’t dating? did the MC wanted something LESS that going out with her or what?

last edited at Mar 4, 2023 4:33AM

BaglReadsTheYuri
Ezgif.com-gif-maker
joined Sep 14, 2022

Feels a lot like she's being played with but there's enough room to assume the situation was similar on the other side, she's clearly making romantic advances when they're together, but MC never did anything more so it's fair to assume that both had the same mindset of "want more but unsure", when MC did finally make a move she was surprised but accepted it and then made her own move. I read the afterword more as saying there is more progress to be made than saying they never would. Maybe I'm just being more optimistic than I should be though

Also there is literally nothing ambiguous about someone saying "Person, I like you" in that manner and I really hate when manga do that. Even if it can mean love in a friend way, no friend is professing how they love you in that way. You'd have to be incredibly dense to not understand that in those situations, which to be fair plenty of manga characters are.

Img_20220602_141642-min%20(1)%20(1)%20(1)
joined Feb 5, 2020

Not a perfect relationship but that's kinda what makes this intriguing. There's a lot of progress to be made.
More importantly, unnghhgnnhgnngghh office lady age gap:))

joined Dec 20, 2022

Age Gap OL
Oneshot
why even live

Finding Jessica Lambert
joined Jun 20, 2020

Insecure younger woman was oblivious to make a move to next level.
I suppose elder woman did not push her because of age gap (she would look like a "predator" who seduced someone younger than her)

Probably correct setting for those two characters. To me seems very real.
And I think they actually were dating for 6 months, testing waters before a kiss

last edited at Mar 4, 2023 5:59AM

joined May 3, 2014

I suppose elder woman did not push her because of age gap (she would look like a "predator" who seduced someone younger than her)

And I think they actually were dating for 6 months, testing waters before a kiss

so they were like dating but not saying it outloud??? if so then the author afterword makes more sense >.> well hope so

Finding Jessica Lambert
joined Jun 20, 2020

so they were like dating but not saying it outloud??? if so then the author afterword makes more sense >.> well hope so

Probably not saying it out loud is some professional codex
They were professionally involved, working together on some project, and that's another reason why elder woman hesitated to give a proper encouragement to younger woman

Anyway I think it's fair that younger woman must make the first open move (like she does with a kiss)

last edited at Mar 4, 2023 9:21AM

joined Oct 21, 2013

Poor nameless lady, unable to come out of the water closet.

The immaculate
joined Mar 19, 2020

I agree that it sounds like the afterword doesn’t mean they never make progress into a relationship and more so that they didn’t get into one that night. It sounds like konno wants to make sure they get along in all the ways first which is fair

Soralaylaff
joined Oct 16, 2013

I think you guys are being pretty generous about the interpretation of the afterword lol. I think Yuni really does intend for Konno to be the player that she is because Yuni loves writing about players and ambiguous relationships (just read a few of her other works and she literally said in the same afterword that she wanted to write a series about a players alliance playing with all the girls in Japan lol). The goddess bit is supposed to be ironic thus the "mc should know what type of relationship she's getting into before signing the contract" sorta deal. MC was blinded by her idolization to realize what sort of person Konno really is.

That being said, even though Konno is a player and they've kept their relationship ambiguous doesn't mean there won't be any progress. It could end up being like the "Not Black, Not White" situation where they do eventually make it official (but yes after lots of time wasted on mindgames as another poster said lol)

Either way, whether Konno is an ass or not depending on your interpretation, this story was enjoyable for what it is. My favorite page was the bonus about the random lady who interrupted them in the bathroom though. It was so unexpected xD

last edited at Mar 4, 2023 7:44AM

Screenshot_20231219-103652~2
joined Sep 10, 2022

Regardless, the afterward makes clear how important it is to communicate what type of relationship you want (implying that they have or do): so, if they both are ok with whatever, then that's their choice. I'm also unsure if the "haven't dated yet" was referring to their confessions from the beginning and maybe theirs a tense miscommunication. Either way this was another interesting not "standard" relationship from Yuni. Really like their variety and willingness to showcase all types of real and existing (and often still happy) relationships, even if they aren't "stamped and approved."

last edited at Mar 4, 2023 7:40AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Very nice.

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

I turn 40 next june, I guess my OL charms should start kicking in pretty soon :P

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

Aww I thought this was cute until I read the afterworld lol. The fact that she basically wants to just play around and "taste the finer things" and doesn't want to date Kise is kinda sad and feels more like she's just going to lead her on use her and let her go :/

last edited at Mar 4, 2023 10:09AM

Noeek
joined Mar 17, 2015

Age gap between adults if the absolute best as is older woman yuri and i need way WAY more of both.
Thanks for the scanlation Cabbage!

Fzvftbrxoaepy3r%20copy
joined Feb 20, 2022

I'd love to see more especially if things get messy with different levels of feelings lol... this is from a while ago, was there every any more?

joined Sep 13, 2018

They didn't start dating , feels bad man.
It feels weird to me seeing girls of 40+ falling in love for each other in manga since japan thinks "24+ = old"

Cabbage
joined Mar 23, 2017

Also there is literally nothing ambiguous about someone saying "Person, I like you" in that manner and I really hate when manga do that.

Hmm, that might be my bad. The raws for Kise-san’s confession on the first page say “私がそんな紺野さんが好きです”

This is more literally “I like the Konno-san who is [kind but straightforward, busy but put together]” which is less direct than just “Konno-san, I like you” in my opinion.

I deliberated on how to translate this in a not-verbose and natural way while semi-preserving the manner in which it was said, and also whether I should focus on Konno-san or the description of her as the subject of the like, but ultimately decided to highlight Kise-san saying she likes Konno-san. Clearly, something was lost in translation here…haha

Apologies for the confusion, and thanks for pointing that out! I still have far to go as a translator…

last edited at Mar 4, 2023 12:41PM

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Also there is literally nothing ambiguous about someone saying "Person, I like you" in that manner and I really hate when manga do that.

Hmm, that might be my bad. The raws for Kise-san’s confession on the first page say “私がそんな紺野さんが好きです”

This is more literally “I like the Konno-san who is [kind but straightforward, busy but put together]” which is less direct than just “Konno-san, I like you” in my opinion.

I deliberated on how to translate this in a not-verbose and natural way while semi-preserving the manner in which it was said, and also whether I should focus on Konno-san or the description of her as the subject of the like, but ultimately decided to highlight Kise-san saying she likes Konno-san. Clearly, something was lost in translation here…haha

Apologies for the confusion, and thanks for pointing that out! I still have far to go as a translator…

Don't feel bad, translating any language is tricky and also getting all the nuance down of a language doesn't always fully or at least easily translate to another language. Here with Japanese there's the culture and the idea behind language along with how people interact, communicate, and so fourth. From my understanding their issue with "I like you" is common with Japanese media due to various culture and language/communication barriers, and how everything differs.

Also I just want to say thanks for the translation!

last edited at Mar 4, 2023 2:39PM

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

I absolutely love that lady stuck in the stall, at the end. The poor woman was adorable blushing with embarrassment. I wish I had skipped the afterward though. It kind of ruined the story for me.

Finding Jessica Lambert
joined Jun 20, 2020

After reading more comments and after translator's input, I think, probably probably the afterword is lacking something in translation, and it confuses readers (no hard feelings to translator, I'm thankful and I don't have any problems personally. And I can "catch" the feelings of characters somehow)

What could possibly be misinterpreted in afterword is a detail about not starting dating.
But page 11, middle pic shows clearly that they are going out like any other couple, even watching movies together. It was just not verbally addressed. They developed some physical closeness, and it's just like very slow burn.

Another thing, I think "they did not start dating" is a little bit a sarcastic remark from the author (according to mentioned page 11, middle pic). Because author said after it, that Konno is a type who is testing waters and she checks everything before "signing the contract". It means, as in her professional life, she is the same in her emotional life
That's why I said she is not a player, but a little bit playful (a very subtle level of teasing) and she have her reasons for it (I gave 2 reasons in my previous comments).

Woman 42 yo would not spend 6 month connecting with someone on very personal level if she is not seriously interested. It's just very very slow burn. At the end, Konno-san is going to "take care" about Kise-san, and it's obviously an allusion to where they are going and what they will do.

Also, I observed expressions of both characters, and both of them look pretty honest to each other. They are beautiful. And matching couple.

I did not care much about afterword, my observations and comments are based on manga itself. I think intention of the author was not to mention EXPLICITELY some things, just like Konno-san said:

"Did you think I did not notice how you feel?... Enough talk. I want you to show me how you feel through actions"

last edited at Mar 4, 2023 9:03PM

joined Jul 26, 2016

Konno waiting 6 months because she's not comfortable dating a coworker woulda been a more logical reveal. But yeah, the afterword is what really sours this story for me.

To reply you must either login or sign up.