Forum › Summer, Lemon, and Overlay discussion

Akebi_underwater_2_10
joined Jun 1, 2020

Stumbled across this now. Big fan of Miyahara's previous work, but as they seem to be in charge of only art, it stands to be seen where this goes. Not gonna lie, having been battling depression for a long time, some of the phrases and expressions in these two chapters were like a kick to the fucking skull for me, but at the same time, there's a bizarre sense of lightheartedness that in contrast to what the premise would suggest, implies a more lighthearted progression and conclusion. But again, we'll see.

I hope it ends up with the MC somehow persuading the female lead to not die

Don't we all? (niko)

We don't hope, we fully expect this to happen.

I'd say both hope and expert, but pretty much, yeah. I expect the road to have its fair share of bumps and hiccups, but, as mentioned above, that this would be more lighthearted than having two seemingly suicidal leads would suggest.

I don't get what's bad about having your farewell letter read at your funeral...

The way I'm understanding it, at the most basic level, let's say that someone commits suicide, and leaves a note to their family very clearly saying that it is their fault that this has happened. This would surely affect them significantly, no? Especially if some of them thought things were alright or that they were on good terms with the deceased. They'd have to live with that their entire lives afterward, which is why it's a pretty bad thing, and also why it's something that a vengeful person would want to do. Also fuck yeah that has raised some serious personal trauma to the surface and I'm having a blast.

last edited at Nov 15, 2022 4:42PM

Screenshot_3
joined Jun 24, 2021

if this ends up being a tragedy i wont be able to take it

Weiwei
joined Oct 9, 2017

I see. Is a living wake a better idea ? Agreeing to discuss and argue for as long as the living ones want ? I've been wondering (for years, maybe a decade) how to leave in a way that it hurts as little as possible the ones that I love. Only solution I found so far was to stay alive. But it's not a solution.

I thought recording videos would be nice. But maybe it's cruel ?

Is it because people don't realize depression is a deadly disease that can't always be cured ? They believe we're not actually dying because they don't see it on our body ?

Sorry to start a painful debate. I think it's an important topic.

last edited at Dec 13, 2022 6:16PM

934c158f-6d10-4800-a176-151cb1c96d1b
joined Dec 23, 2019

I want to believe it will all end in a huge plot twist where the lady is actually planning a funeral of herself but for a movie scene or something and while at that give the mc a chance to gain recognition!!

I hope I’m right but if suicide ends up being the final route then I at least hope mc saves her from killing herself.

Screen%20shot%202023-01-07%20at%2010.57.07%20pm
joined May 21, 2021

The series has ended with 8 chapters, compiled in a single volume. This is an adaptation of a stand-alone novel so it was always meant to be a short serialization.

(The original story was picked up for manga adaptation because it won the Yuri Hime Award at the 3rd Yuri Literary Contest.)

last edited at Jan 18, 2023 5:42PM

Noeek
joined Mar 17, 2015

Oh jeez, this one... This one gonna hurt, isnt it?

Patreon_post_image-42_50_1_50
joined Sep 10, 2022

Looking forward to this one. Can't wait to see how the manga ends compared to the novel. Thanks for the pickup!

last edited at Mar 17, 2024 7:24PM

joined May 10, 2021

Thanks a ton for picking this up!

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

First indication of her actually wanting to die. If it really is just stress from work and her everyday life, maybe she can still be persuaded otherwise... We'll see, we still barely know enough about her to be sure either way.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

I see. Is a living wake a better idea ? Agreeing to discuss and argue for as long as the living ones want ? I've been wondering (for years, maybe a decade) how to leave in a way that it hurts as little as possible the ones that I love. Only solution I found so far was to stay alive. But it's not a solution.

I thought recording videos would be nice. But maybe it's cruel ?

Is it because people don't realize depression is a deadly disease that can't always be cured ? They believe we're not actually dying because they don't see it on our body ?

Sorry to start a painful debate. I think it's an important topic.

It's hard to know how to answer this, and it may be too late. But, frankly, I don't think there's any way to commit suicide that makes it less painful for the people left behind. They're gonna be sad, and they're gonna wish it didn't happen, and they're going to feel guilty because even if you told them different and they in some ways know different, they're still going to feel like surely there was something they could have done but failed to do that would have made you want to stay.

That's how it is. And just as they may not, in fact, be able to affect your depression, you can't really affect that.

joined Dec 30, 2020

Three chapters in and they really haven't worked on the contents of the letter much, have they?

There'd be a lot more understanding of what the actual situation was if they'd already sat down and figured out what needs to be said... Nevermind not being finished, it's like the letter hasn't even been started?

I feel like it's gonna be a social suicide mixed with confession, like "oh no! This summer I've spent all my savings on this VA/streamer I fell in love with, we're gonna run away to a small town in the countryside together~•°

Aren't they both there standing up at the reading? Doesn't she look mighty embarrassed thinking about how it's such a silly, yet true, story?

If this doesn't have a good ending I'm gonna be devastated... Over here already imagining the letter ending with a wedding invitation or something on that level

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

Nice to see Ranka working on this, even if it was only a commission (once…).

Ranka says that this is a "little heavier" than "Even If It Was Only Once", but I dunno a lot of the themes (functioning in the adult world, poverty) are the same, and that one even had some homophobia and comp het laid over the top… I should look into SAD's commission rates. I'm unemployed but I'd like to see SAD keep going on this one…

Yeecon
joined Feb 6, 2013

I have no idea where this is going, but the trip seems to be shaping up to be quite enjoyable!

To reply you must either login or sign up.