Forum › How Do I Get Together With My Childhood Friend? discussion

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

YAY A NEW CHAPTER!... Yay Minami is still an idiot.

joined Aug 29, 2019

The best thing is that she basically does the same thing Yuzu did without realizing it.
"Actually, I do love Unohara-san. But it might be a bit different from how you love her..."
Pretty much mirrors how Yuzu didn't mean romantically interested when she mentioned Tatsumi-san.

joined Apr 26, 2022

F for Minami

Shinobu%20cain%202
joined Aug 19, 2015

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

Also I love all those panels in which Minami just becomes a blob of gushing over something, and I was wondering, specifically in the case of page 18's "what a freakin' supernova of cute", how do lines like this or the earlier "gosh darn..." appear in the original text?

That's an interesting question! Whether it's the original or the translator, I like how they often use star-related terminology, given that Yuzu likes space. It's a fun connection, and shows how Minami has picked up on words like that because she's been around Yuzu this whole time.

MidnightPumpkin
joined May 6, 2019

Also I love all those panels in which Minami just becomes a blob of gushing over something, and I was wondering, specifically in the case of page 18's "what a freakin' supernova of cute", how do lines like this or the earlier "gosh darn..." appear in the original text?

That's an interesting question! Whether it's the original or the translator, I like how they often use star-related terminology, given that Yuzu likes space. It's a fun connection, and shows how Minami has picked up on words like that because she's been around Yuzu this whole time.

This specific example, the original line is 愛おしさビッグバン = Loveliness Big Bang. It's supposed to be something like "(Her) loveliness (is like the) big bang", but Minami's too overwhelmed to think in coherent sentences. So the translation changed the exact terminology to flow better in English, but it's present in the original too.

Nekopop%20avatar%20resized
joined Aug 12, 2020

I love the art style. My only wish is that the girls were easier to distinguish.

(y)
joined Jan 9, 2017

The best thing is that she basically does the same thing Yuzu did without realizing it.
"Actually, I do love Unohara-san. But it might be a bit different from how you love her..."
Pretty much mirrors how Yuzu didn't mean romantically interested when she mentioned Tatsumi-san.

What else could "is there someone you're interested in right now" be interpreted?

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

What else could "is there someone you're interested in right now" be interpreted?

One of the things you have to understand when dealing with media from another culture is that there are implications in certain phrases that are not universal.

When you say "is there someone you're interested in right now?" in English, it is implicit in the statement that you mean romantically interested. But a literal read of the phrase doesn't actually have any words that mean that. Because the phrase has an implicit romantic implication, people avoid saying it if they don't mean it in a romantic way. They might say something more like "Who have you been hanging out with lately?" or maybe "is there anybody you really admire or look up to these days?"

But in a language where "Is there someone you're interested in" doesn't have a romantic implication attached, it might be a pretty ordinary question.

I still have a long way to go in my Japanese studies, so I don't know if this particular interpretation of this turn of phrase is contrived or ordinary, but I know you can't make those kinds of assumptions carelessly. What I AM willing to bet on is that in any event, Yuzu definitely isn't really crushing on Tatsumi. Either it's a lost in translation thing or Yuzu is just being dense.

Ss%20(2022-10-15%20at%2007.19.30)
joined Aug 19, 2021

I'm pretty sure i'm not the only one who thinks it's just because Hinori is the closest with Minami that Yuzu is interested by her, nothing more.
It's just a series of misunderstandings, we even avoid one with Minami believe herself that she's in love with Yuzu and Unohara We're glad she thought it through in one page to say, "no that doesn't make sense".

CindertailtheKistune
Tumblr_830a85052a1b34481fa368bf50ca9fc5_de74d4e4_500
joined Oct 19, 2021

Plot twist Yuzu is 1000% aware that Minami has a crush on her and is just. REALLY GOOD. at acting.

It was meant as I joke but I'm genuinely worried about something similar(friendzone, osmium-grade denseness, etc).

Megu
joined Mar 22, 2014

I'm not sure if this is just a translation thing, but I do like how the tanzakus on the last panel say "I want Yuzu to be with Minami-chan"

Capture
joined Apr 16, 2020

I still have a long way to go in my Japanese studies, so I don't know if this particular interpretation of this turn of phrase is contrived or ordinary, but I know you can't make those kinds of assumptions carelessly. What I AM willing to bet on is that in any event, Yuzu definitely isn't really crushing on Tatsumi. Either it's a lost in translation thing or Yuzu is just being dense.

So what was in that original text?

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Adorable. ^_^

4dcd5e922a6b20d034126d7ff75583f91490791092_large
joined Jan 18, 2016

dying from how cute this is
..and in yuri manga if theres sparkly particles that means someones inlove!!!!!

Onee2
joined Apr 28, 2022

Ooo Yuzu wanted that kiss so bad that it made her angry at the end @_@. Stupid friends ruining the moment.

That back hug and everything was very cute. Obviously still too early for that and something was going to interrupt but damn.

last edited at Feb 13, 2023 12:02AM

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

They thought they could sink the good ship HiYuMi like that? Weeeeeak, I'm still a believer! XD

Glad to see something like progress.

20230811_115727_adobe_express
joined Sep 21, 2019

i took my yuri goggles off and still can't see that back hug as anything but romantic

THE TIME IS COMING

Fb_img_1636852439556
joined Oct 30, 2021

I think this is the first time we have seen Yuzu somehow "taking initiative" isnt it? And bruuuuh that fist clenching at the end, she has a veeeery strong poker face to be able to endure that even if she was at the edge

joined Aug 21, 2017

That final panel: insert Arthur clenched fist meme

joined Oct 3, 2021

...Did they just interrupt an aquarium date?

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

Hmmm what IS Yuzu thinking here...? Is she not as clueless as she seems? Or maybe she's feeling some more jealousy pangs, but still hasn't put two and two together with romance yet?

420e065dfd1a4d6b3655ec2b8f710afc%20(1)
joined Apr 25, 2020

This was a great chapter thumbs-up-emoji I'm pleased. Man I think that back-hug is the most romantic shit I've seen in manga ever

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

Yeah, she's maaaaaad that she got clamshucked right there

Capture
joined Apr 16, 2020

Well well well, what do we have here. Yuzu could be thinking either one of the two:
1.) Minami doesn't want Hinori to see the two of them being physically close to each other because Minami likes Hinori.
2.) About how Minami and Hinori knows something and are sharing a secret together.

Edit: additional,
3.) Dissapointed that Minami gets embarrassed being seen being physically close with her.

last edited at Feb 13, 2023 3:36AM

To reply you must either login or sign up.