Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

76047650-352-k633682
joined Jul 17, 2015

Koga is such a dork. I love it.

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

she used charm and it was super effective.

Aya's doomed

UnidentifiedFangirlingHimejoshi
Untitled2120_20220919231752
joined Sep 7, 2021

happy screaming

joined Nov 13, 2022

This latest chapter is funny and cute. No problem there.
But I'm very annoyed at something this series has been doing for a while and this is the worst instance of it yet.

What the hell happened between chapters?! This is astronomically unsatisfying.
Last we saw these two they were having a major moment in their relationship, a confrontation that had been a long time coming and should have been revelatory for both of them about what their feelings are, what their relationship is and will be, what they had been doing up to that point and potentially so much more.
Instead we skip to school?! And they're... chill? What is their relationship? Mitsuki asked a very direct question and I guess Aya just didn't answer? That must have been awkward... Was it? What was the dialogue between these two in the moment? We don't have definitive answers to any of these questions because it seems there is a mandatory time skip between all chapters. Either we get the important events in 4 pages or we just have to catch up and guess when the next 4 arrive.
This latest chapter should have been a direct continuation of the previous one. Even if the conversation had to conclude with "I don't have an answer yet" or something along the lines of that trope, we needed to see it happen.

D5aad09a-7f7c-4c16-aad1-2b0b94587149
joined Nov 13, 2022

I made an account after lurking on this site for seven(!?) years just to say... if I were in Aya's place, I would be instantly shot dead by that facial expression. That should be illegal.

E1f7694b-042f-443d-a5cb-df7de61c8a40
joined Dec 29, 2013

Critical hit! Hahaha
It is so funny that they are agonizing over different things. :3

Avatar%20tartuffe%20clipboard01b
joined Sep 20, 2022

i appreciate Aya confirming without a doubt that Mitsuki is indeed still her crush~

tbf, I use "crush" because that's what Amarrez used in the beginning of the translation, so I kept it.

But in JP, she says "oshi" which is slightly different and hard to translate.

Aaaah so that's how it is! I get it now. I was puzzled by Aya saying "crush" when the story has been trying very hard to avoid going there.
"Oshi" is different of course. Makes sense now. Thanks for de explanation.

joined Jul 7, 2020

finally some good fuckin food

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

I’m just going to make a compilation of the comments so I can get my point across.

i appreciate Aya confirming without a doubt that Mitsuki is indeed still her crush~

Mitsuki still being the smoothest idiot ever I see. No matter any ambivalent wording about "crush" or "oshi", I think that last scene very clearly showed how Aya is still crushing on Mitsuki and who can blame her?

Yeah, that blush on the last page especially speaks volumes all on its own xD

I love that Oosawa-san STILL sees her as a crush and is just as effected by her.. They might start as friends but I can't see them not moving beyond that if she doesn't get over being smitten by her lol.

Now we can say that this story is, without a doubt, Yuri (or if the author doesn’t want to slap that label on it, “Girl’s Love”)

Congratulations, Aya. You have now officially fallen for the gloomy girl! Good luck

Actual romance arc here we come ! Yurification baby!!

I could swear I could hear the achievement unlocked ping, but when I looked around on the screen, I didn't see Idiot couple written anywhere. :-/

Wait 5 more chapters until this achievement is unlocked.

joined Apr 26, 2022

Me, grinning

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

But I'm very annoyed at something this series has been doing for a while and this is the worst instance of it yet.

Last we saw these two they were having a major moment in their relationship, a confrontation that had been a long time coming and should have been revelatory for both of them about what their feelings are, what their relationship is and will be, what they had been doing up to that point and potentially so much more.
Instead we skip to school?! And they're... chill? What is their relationship? Mitsuki asked a very direct question and I guess Aya just didn't answer? That must have been awkward... Was it? What was the dialogue between these two in the moment? We don't have definitive answers to any of these questions because it seems there is a mandatory time skip between all chapters. Either we get the important events in 4 pages or we just have to catch up and guess when the next 4 arrive.
This latest chapter should have been a direct continuation of the previous one. Even if the conversation had to conclude with "I don't have an answer yet" or something along the lines of that trope, we needed to see it happen.

Aya answered the (reader’s) question at the beginning of the chapter.

That leaves up to our imagination what happened after she said yes, but given how Mitsuki is behaving, it was a crude “Ok I will be your friend”, with Koga not noticing Aya was hesitant, and then the party came to an end and they went back home (we need to remember Aya was on duty, taking care of the lighting (?) of the party and these mfs are too awkward to decide to hang out after the afterparty in order to talk it all out, they are dumb teenagers after all)

Being a 4-page manga, pacing is indeed an issue in this story, but I think that sometimes it is justified to just skip and give incomplete answers to the readers since the answers themselves are trivial. We know at the beginning of the chapter that they did not have a full conversation, because if they did, we’d get to see it. The author is simply skipping the boring parts and leaving it for flashbacks and assumptions which, given the format, is ok imo.

Screenshot_20220816-234512_mangazone
joined Sep 9, 2019

I'm expecting every chapter after this to have the idiot couple tag now.

joined Sep 4, 2018

It's so wholesome.

The biggest crime is knowing that, as much as this series deserves an anime adaptation, it will probably never get one. Would definitely love to see the story fleshed out more and fill in some of the time jumps. Like when she figured out Koga's true identity. It feels like she went from not having a clue to suddenly knowing.

I just hope this goes long enough that we actually get to see some dates and finally decide to live together... You know, go the distance.

So many yuri series tend to end and the moment they realize their actually in love that one feels short changed out of all the snuggling and dating. Maybe being a shorter manga will end up helping in this regard.

Either way, it's nice to have such a wholesome gl series without all the overly forced, super dark drama, villains/villainesses, etc. Absolutely loving it.

last edited at Nov 13, 2022 11:05AM

joined Aug 14, 2022

Disasters, the both of them XDDD

Shinobu%20cain%202
joined Aug 19, 2015

Ahhhh my weekly serotonin requirement has been met and surpassed.

More please.

joined Aug 22, 2022

Her rap name would be Dim Smoothness

Ss%20(2022-10-15%20at%2007.19.30)
joined Aug 19, 2021

give these girls the "Idiot couple" promotion

The Real Haman Karn
Haman%20icon
joined Nov 29, 2021

So, i want to add my 2 cents to the story so far as a whole....

This story is kinda similar to Handsome Girl and Sheltered Girl, in that its esentally a trans story but without actual trans characters. Mitsuki's situation feel kinda to me, as a transfem, like if a trans person didnt tell their potential new partner that theyre trans, for any of the diffrent reasons trans people sometimes act like that. Obviously, mitsuki isnt trans and probably wont be, but you get what im saying, right?

Oh I totally get you. It's part of what makes "low-end" gender fucky premises like this so silly on their face.

I do appreciate the clear representation of Mitsuki's attractiveness correlating with her level of comfort, and the ways certain public spaces are regulated to make that more difficult for her.

Gender confusion is an old trope, much older than trans being taken seriously

I dont like the way this person worded that but, as another transfem, I do have to agree with the sentiment. And I do see where you're coming from! You can totally see a trans reading of these stories. But it's kind of ahistorical to reduce this or Handsome Girl Sheltered Girl trans stories without trans characters or "low-end gender fucky premises" given theres a loooong history of playing with gender and gender roles and gender expression and gender confusion and gender deconstruction etc before a lot of contemporary language around queerness developed. And perhaps the response to this is "but it's being written now where we do have access to this language" and I'd say, sure, but that doesn't just remove or invalidate the vast innumerable experiences people are going to have about gender, and the stories you can tell about it, yknow?

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

She quite clearly answered "yes" and they split to go about their day, both feeling awkward about stuff.

Que_verduras_puede_comer_mi_hamster_29106_600
joined Nov 13, 2022

Well, I will too post here after 10 years of being here only looking the comments haha Just because really like this manga and how it's going now, and about "oshi" I was thinking were I read it before; remembered it was in a manga about idols, so yes now I understand why it's difficult to translate it. Tho for my opinion ,Aya doesnt have escape now(?, it's true that "oshi" is not a direct translation of the word "crush" (at least not from the context of previous mangas I read).

Either way! I will be waiting next week to have a better glimpse of aya and koga respective feelings, Koga is dense for sure, now I want to see HOW dense Aya is xD since gender didn't change her reactions, let see if the author follow the "ok I DO have feelings" or the "I think is only admiration.....right?"

last edited at Nov 13, 2022 3:41PM

joined Aug 22, 2022

So, i want to add my 2 cents to the story so far as a whole....

This story is kinda similar to Handsome Girl and Sheltered Girl, in that its esentally a trans story but without actual trans characters. Mitsuki's situation feel kinda to me, as a transfem, like if a trans person didnt tell their potential new partner that theyre trans, for any of the diffrent reasons trans people sometimes act like that. Obviously, mitsuki isnt trans and probably wont be, but you get what im saying, right?

Oh I totally get you. It's part of what makes "low-end" gender fucky premises like this so silly on their face.

I do appreciate the clear representation of Mitsuki's attractiveness correlating with her level of comfort, and the ways certain public spaces are regulated to make that more difficult for her.

Gender confusion is an old trope, much older than trans being taken seriously

!וי געוואַלט
As a trans woman with 4 decades of life behind me I can say with absolute certainty that nothing in this exchange has made any sense whatsoever.

In order:
False equivalency
Blanket statement followed by incomprehensibleness
Poorly-formed sentence that could easily be interpreted as degrading

Could people STOP comparing this to being trans? No one is dealing with their gender identity.
Someone is confused about SOMEONE ELSE’S and shenanigans happens.

לך לשלום

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Someone is confused about SOMEONE ELSE’S [gender identity] and shenanigans happens.

This story in a nutshell.

And the statement that it's "essentially a trans story but without actual trans characters" seems like an obvious oxymoron--wouldn't the "essence" of a trans story be . . . the presence of actual trans characters?

last edited at Nov 13, 2022 11:47AM

joined Mar 24, 2016

I just want to read something lighthearted and entertaining. And this is it. I just want to enjoy the second hand embarassments and awkwardness.

The Real Haman Karn
Haman%20icon
joined Nov 29, 2021

Someone is confused about SOMEONE ELSE’S [gender identity] and shenanigans happens.

And the statement that it's "essentially a trans story but without actual trans characters" seems like an obvious oxymoron--wouldn't the "essence" of a trans story be . . . the presence of actual trans characters?

well no, because sometimes stories use metaphors or allegories or subtext or themes to engage with these subject matter without explicitly referencing them, and this is especially common with explorations of queerness.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

well no, because sometimes stories use metaphors or allegories or subtext or themes to engage with these subject matter without explicitly referencing them, and this is especially common with explorations of queerness.

You seem a little unclear on the meaning of the word "essence." Subtexts and stories whose themes are ambiguous or which can be read in multiple ways are the opposite of "essentially" trans stories.

last edited at Nov 13, 2022 12:10PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.