Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

Kirin-kun Uploader
Oip
Rehashed Scans
joined Mar 21, 2021

Huh, I just saw this extra on Twitter and noticed the joke was that Aya used "てば," which to my understanding is just a cutesy copulate like です and dosen't have a direct translation, and was curious to see how the translator worked around it. I feel like if I were to translate it I'd maybe have Aya say "I told you it was, like, totally this way" or something, and then have Mitsuki say"'like' she says" but I'd be curious to hear other people's ideas.

It's not "cutesy". It's used all the time by Japanese people.

And I don't see how it's a joke. She's just insistent and Mitsuki is blasé.

ってば is a colloquial emphasis on what's before to add force and a feeling of irritation or incitement Like "come on!" or "I'm telling you!".

I decided to translate it as simply "Told you!" because space is limited in the bubble, and it conveys that meaning.

last edited at Nov 6, 2022 4:55AM

UnidentifiedFangirlingHimejoshi
Untitled2120_20220919231752
joined Sep 7, 2021

AND WHY ARE THEY SO SKRUNKLY?!

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Don't really get that dialogue, tbh. Guess there's an explanation above^ and it's not like I don't understand it in the literal sense, but I don't really get what it means to convey, from the page alone. "I can hear you"? Yeah? Okay ... ^^;

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

So cute when best friends have polaroids of each other in their phone cases. These girls must be really close.

007b
joined Jun 12, 2014

Don't really get that dialogue, tbh. Guess there's an explanation above^ and it's not like I don't understand it in the literal sense, but I don't really get what it means to convey, from the page alone. "I can hear you"? Yeah? Okay ... ^^;

After looking at the Japanese version, what I gathered was: Aya tells Koga "come on, it's this way!" and she replies "Mhm, I'm listening..." because she's distracted by trying to subtly take a cute picture of Aya running around getting excited. Hence, the 'picture taking' sound effect coming from her phone

It flows a little more naturally in Japanese

last edited at Nov 6, 2022 8:00AM

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

Did someone really just randomly insult radiohead? lol

joined Mar 23, 2022

omg they have both each other's picture at the back of their phone.

joined Jul 23, 2014

So cute when best friends have polaroids of each other in their phone cases. These girls must be really close.

Definitely a great friendship, gal pals even

E1f7694b-042f-443d-a5cb-df7de61c8a40
joined Dec 29, 2013

It is good that I checked the comments because I didn’t get it at all. XD

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Cute.

Untitled102_20231004232707
joined Mar 26, 2014

It is good that I checked the comments because I didn’t get it at all. XD

Same. Finally, I get the joke. I figured she was distracted but I didn't want to assume by wearing yuri goggles. Ya know?

last edited at Nov 6, 2022 12:16PM

joined Mar 26, 2014

I've never even heard the name. Though after checking them out I can see why. They suck ass

I know right. They have maybe one song that isn't shit and it's called creep. It was used in the animated movie,"The Book of life."

And he/voice actor actually sung it better for the movie by slowing it down.

last edited at Nov 6, 2022 12:15PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

I think the goal was that the author wanted to "imagine" some merch they would wear. Like the bags, the rings, the stickers.

While adding some details, like the photos.

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

the wait for next one will kill me

SandfallSkyrocket
Bread%20loaf%20sliced%20profile%20pic
joined Jan 2, 2022

^ same here

Sayaka
joined Jan 27, 2020

The original Japanese leaves some room for interpretation and is therefore slightly ambiguous, but based on the context and Aya's posture/line of sight, my understanding of it was that Aya's taking a picture of Mitsuki and telling her to look at the camera, but the latter doesn't want to and is lowkey ignoring the request. E.g.,

Aya: "Come on, look this way!"
Mitsuki: "Yes, I can hear you just fine..."

last edited at Nov 6, 2022 9:52PM

Sayaka
joined Jan 27, 2020

Huh, I just saw this extra on Twitter and noticed the joke was that Aya used "てば," which to my understanding is just a cutesy copulate like です and dosen't have a direct translation, and was curious to see how the translator worked around it. I feel like if I were to translate it I'd maybe have Aya say "I told you it was, like, totally this way" or something, and then have Mitsuki say"'like' she says" but I'd be curious to hear other people's ideas.

Also, I totally just noticed that Mitsuki is also taking a pic of Aya, lol. That's so cute

Omg they also having maching bags

I think they have pictures of eachother on the back of their phones too this image is so detailed

Yeah, I think Aya is trying to get Mitsuki's attention for a pic and using "てば" to insist that she face the camera, but Mitsuki's just not feeling it, haha (see my post above).

And yes, I caught the Easter egg with them having matching bags and pics of each other on their phones too!! Love the attention to detail.

last edited at Nov 6, 2022 11:20PM

816lwpeqwgl._ac_uf894,1000_ql80_
joined Sep 22, 2021

And they were roommates

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Tameko posted:

The original Japanese leaves some room for interpretation and is therefore slightly ambiguous, but based on the context and Aya's posture/line of sight, my understanding of it was that Aya's taking a picture of Mitsuki and telling her to look at the camera, but the latter doesn't want to and is lowkey ignoring the request. E.g.,

No. I rather think Aya is looking at a "Map" application's directions on her phone, as they're both going "somewhere".

They maybe previously had an argument about "which way" it was and now, Mitsuki is just following and looking blasé at Aya's excitation, but still taking a pic as she thinks she's cute anyway.

last edited at Nov 7, 2022 2:34AM

Sayaka
joined Jan 27, 2020

Tameko posted:

No. I rather think Aya is looking at a "Map" application's directions on her phone, as they're both going "somewhere".

They maybe previously had an argument about "which way" it was and now, Mitsuki is just following and looking blasé at Aya's excitation, but still taking a pic as she thinks she's cute anyway.

Haha it's possible! And that's the fun of a one-shot illustration like this, isn't it, imagining various possible interpretations.

last edited at Nov 7, 2022 2:39AM

joined Oct 20, 2022

So now they finally know each other's identities? Outright communication include in school?

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

And they were roommates

They were.

So now they finally know each other's identities? Outright communication include in school?

Yes! Now we will get the “gay gyaru and clueless gloomy girl” arc before they become… besties

last edited at Nov 7, 2022 9:34AM

joined Mar 26, 2014

And they were roommates

They were.

Yes! Now we will get the “gay gyaru and clueless gloomy girl” arc before they become… besties

God! I hope so. Honestly, I'm a sucker for that trope.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

And they were roommates

They were.

God! I hope so. Honestly, I'm a sucker for that trope.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

And they were roommates

They were.

Oh c'mon, this is just IKEA Yuri at this point!

To reply you must either login or sign up.