Forum › The Moon on a Rainy Night discussion

joined Aug 29, 2016

So the translator could’ve used “equity” but chose to go with fairness probably for the readers.

I’m glad that i started reading this manga once chapter 8 came out. The self realization that she’s in love like GAAAAAYYYYYYYY. Hah but also, this whole disability theme is literally like the convo I had/am having with my best friend, straight girl who knows I’m in love with her. So were able to have some real analyzing deep convos. And so this chapter really brings home some of the thoughts I have on my own disabilities. And I personally don’t it’s fair for society to have to keep giving me accommodations that others wouldn’t get away with

Noeek
joined Mar 17, 2015

Your honor, as you can clearly see by recent evidence, my client is hella gay.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I guess I’m too stupid to follow all the nuances of this argument, but I for one never thought there was a chance in hell that Kanon liked the teacher.

I based that belief on the premise that, although there certainly are manga where students like/have crushes on/get involved with teachers, Kanon was not that student, the teacher was not that teacher, and this was not that manga.

Tabco%20avatar
joined Jan 17, 2018

Weren't the stick people all supposed to get one box in the first panel of that drawing and then the whole point was about redistributing the boxes equitably? Like, where did the boxes come from teach?

What are you even talking about? This has nothing to do with something as simple as redistributing existing assets like you do with taxes.

I think what they were getting at is that the image the teacher drew is based on an existing real-world drawing depicting the same concept (do a Google search for equity vs. fairness picture). In the original, each person has one box in the first panel (three boxes total). The tall person didn't need their box, and the short person still couldn't see over the fence even with one box. I don't know if the mangaka here deliberately removed the boxes to make a different point (as you allude to) or if they left them out as an afterthought.

As a person with hearing loss, I'm surprised at how many familiar anecdotes I'm seeing. I also struggle hearing women's voices and other higher-pitched sounds. In high school especially many girls thought I was giving them the cold shoulder or acting superior to them.

last edited at Sep 3, 2022 3:35PM

8abdf478-6a82-44b1-8f02-abaa8c9ba316
joined May 20, 2022

I think it’s safe to say if looks could kill(in a good way) then Saki would be deceased.

Vlqa
joined Jun 14, 2022

I guess I’m too stupid to follow all the nuances of this argument, but I for one never thought there was a chance in hell that Kanon liked the teacher.

I based that belief on the premise that, although there certainly are manga where students like/have crushes on/get involved with teachers, Kanon was not that student, the teacher was not that teacher, and this was not that manga

Honestly, I don't see any romantic liking by Kanon for Miura-Sensei no matter of subtle or explicit considerations. To presume or project a romantic liking between them in any direction is exactly what Saki does and Kanon laments over and calls out. Kanon does like Miura-Sensei, but that liking is platonic appreciation or even admiration for him being knowledgeable, humble and fair with her.

Likewise, I am failing to see any and all potential and or manifested "internalized homophobia" within Saki. This argument feels to me to simply be victimization for sake of argument. To see "internalized homophobia" when all Saki has expressed are social conventions is to claim all hetero social conventions as inherently homophobic. This especially confusing when most "hetero" conventions are not hetero exclusive. The closest to homophobia is Saki's excuse of going to an all girls school making Kanon "safe", but ignorance itself dos not equate to prejudicial or irrational fear.

Ultimately, the "ulterior motive" isn't romantically or physically liking someone of the same-sex, but the notion of love or some other arguably self-serving motivation as inherently ulterior or bad. Thus, it's even "worse" to have a self-motivation involving someone with a disability. This judges the person as a disability in need of special treatment, not an individual to be treated fairly.

last edited at Sep 3, 2022 7:19PM

joined Mar 21, 2017

^ and a lot of this is due to the sister.

joined Mar 23, 2022

I'm glad she finna realized it!! gurl if that ain't love imma gonna throw hands. I'm glad author clearly shows us that canon x teacher is impossible in this series(sound euphonium flashbacks begone). this manga never fails to surprise me every damn page, like I'm just surprised their expressions changes a of a sudden.road to gaynesss at full speed letssss gooooo!!!!

Bppble
joined Aug 22, 2022

Weren't the stick people all supposed to get one box in the first panel of that drawing and then the whole point was about redistributing the boxes equitably? Like, where did the boxes come from teach?

What are you even talking about?

I'm talking about the original image, which was much better at showing the difference between equality and equity, since it actually had everyone get an equal amount of help (boxes) at first and THEN showed that some people need more help and some need none.

Cglishmini
joined Apr 12, 2018

Man Saki is so damn hard on herself in a way that I don’t think we ever really get in romance series. Most romantic leads have a tragic past that makes them emotionally distant or hard on themselves, meanwhile hurricane Saki is over here like “I’m such a piece of shit for liking this girl” and overthinks every damn thing.

Also, just gotta appreciate the irony of her self-flagellating leading to her doing dumber shit that could have been avoided without. I cringed really hard when she brought up the teacher, and I think all the roasting over that was deserved, but even so, she needs hugs. This was a pretty important talk for them to have...

joined Mar 23, 2022

imma gonna give saki an +A for not being bright but having manage to used that one cell to realize she is in love with canon. welp not that being dense has anything to do with being bright though, atleast she can put two and two together.

Vlqa
joined Jun 14, 2022

I do believe that Rinne is acting with good intention, but she's also an enabler who has dependency issues of her own to work through. She also seems to find some misplaced pride or special status in being the sibling of an individual with a disability.

That said, I would argue that Rinne has simply exacerbated strongly reactive, self-loathing, and even jealous tendencies Saki already had as opposed to creating them.

imma gonna give saki an +A for not being bright but having manage to used that one cell to realize she is in love with canon. welp not that being dense has anything to do with being bright though, atleast she can put two and two together.

Yeah, but to Saki 2+2 = Pitch Fork. She's really isn't stupid, but she is under so much internal and external pressure that she increasingly can't see the moment and Kanon in it.

last edited at Sep 3, 2022 9:42PM

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

I'm really loving the art and especially the expressions. Their talks are good, and I hope some of these feelings of repressed love come out soon!

Thanks as always for the translation!

joined Mar 21, 2017

I do believe that Rinne is acting with good intention, but she's also an enabler who has dependency issues of her own to work through. She also seems to find some misplaced pride or special status in being the sibling of an individual with a disability.

That said, I would argue that Rinne has simply exacerbated strongly reactive, self-loathing, and even jealous tendencies Saki already had as opposed to creating them.

I don't disagree, she's being protective of her sister. But her words haven't helped from we've seen.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

What are you even talking about? This has nothing to do with something as simple as redistributing existing assets like you do with taxes.

I think what they were getting at is that the image the teacher drew is based on an existing real-world drawing depicting the same concept (do a Google search for equity vs. fairness picture). In the original, each person has one box in the first panel (three boxes total). The tall person didn't need their box, and the short person still couldn't see over the fence even with one box. I don't know if the mangaka here deliberately removed the boxes to make a different point (as you allude to) or if they left them out as an afterthought.

Ah, noted, thanks for the explanation. I guess it may indeed be due to the slightly different point here, as in this case it's not a matter of adjusting existing aid programs based on actual need, but one of creating entirely new support systems where necessary. Although only the author knows for sure.

joined Mar 25, 2019

Author really likes to show abrupt shifts in tone through exaggerated character expressions. It's charming once you get used to it but at first it feels like the characters are reacting to a tragic news every few pages.

joined Dec 14, 2020

Am I the only one who felt like Kanon was being a little bitchy this chapter? I really don’t think Saki was being so hurtful by asking basic teenage girl questions like “why do u dress like this” or “oh do you like this kinda guy” blah blah. Its prolly because Kanon obviously doesn’t get enough social interaction but cmon quit being so sensitive lmao I get it bitches was mean in middle school grow up.

joined Sep 5, 2022

I just binge read these chapters and, damn, I feel sorry for Saki, she fell for a walking red flag. I know thrust issues are fucked up, but, damn, being treated bad does not excuse someone for being an asshole. Specially to your "important friend"

joined Apr 16, 2022

You're really going after a 15-year-old for being upset when she was reminded of recent traumatic experiences, then recovering quickly and apologizing?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

You're really going after a 15-year-old for being upset when she was reminded of recent traumatic experiences, then recovering quickly and apologizing?

The wheels of interpersonal justice grind exceedingly small.

joined Sep 5, 2022

Way too many first, second and third handed experiences with toxic relationships can make someone a bit sour

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Well, anyhow, I liked the chapter.

joined Jun 21, 2021

Aye this got picked up for official English publication, it deserves it and I deserve to have it on my bookshelf so I’m happy

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

Aye this got picked up for official English publication, it deserves it and I deserve to have it on my bookshelf so I’m happy

Where from?

E-iue9kvqaa8rk1
joined Mar 29, 2019

Aye this got picked up for official English publication

And one the subject of that, 0mniessence has announced in the latest update of "Living with My Brother's Wife" that they will stop scanlating both series since now they both have oficial releases...

To reply you must either login or sign up.