Forum › Posts by Simca

joined Jan 3, 2020

All the space in this manga dedicated to the past, which then has no bearing at all on the ending, is very odd.

joined Jan 3, 2020

I was surprised to see how MangaDex's comments section is absolutely dominated for calls for this to have a poly ending. Some of the calls for that have almost 100 upvotes, which is pretty wild.

It made me really curious what separates this manga from others with love triangles where you don't see that type of behavior in the comments. I think it's probably because the least likely corner of the triangle (Diana, the one not in the title) is so hard to dislike. She's earnest, straightforward, and fairly relatable (a teen girl having a very obvious crush on another girl who is oblivious). Since you can't see an obvious "Natori + Diana" only outcome, Diana fans hope for poly, I guess?

Typically, most love triangles I read are manhwa with much higher stakes and where most of the characters are very manipulative. The comments on those stories are generally like "X is a bitch and should die". Nobody is calling for a poly ending there, lol.

Anyway, when you get down to analyzing things, Natori hasn't shown any romantic or sexual interest in any character. I wouldn't even be surprised if she was ace. Obviously, the OTP is Lapis + Diana. Let's go!

last edited at Apr 22, 2024 4:36PM

joined Jan 3, 2020

Very cathartic chapter. "Power couple" is the only way to describe them. :-)

Also, I no longer think that the Witch is future!Elsa. She has shown her face to Evie and she didn't recognize her, so it must be someone else. My bet is on Olivia, based solely on the shape of her hair (even if the color doesn't match).

We were shown her face too :P
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/please_bully_me_miss_villainess_ch61#6

Yea, she sure looks like Elsa, but it throws me off that Evie wouldn't recognize the love of her life from up close.

I wouldn't rely on the "shown her face" logic. You may hate it, but it's a common story trend to have these hoods or masks that don't work properly for the reader but do for the characters involved. We should assume all Evie sees in that hood is darkness.

joined Jan 3, 2020

we are so back (also i saw ooc leaks and i thought we'd just get a random teenage marriage proposal this chapter. makes more sense now lmao)

I mean, she did intentionally put the ring on her left ring finger it looked like. She could have picked any finger she wanted to, and she knows exactly what the significance of what she did is. I'm not saying she's proposing or anything, but she's clearly being romantic by doing that.

joined Jan 3, 2020

Wow. This must have taken an enormous amount of effort!

It took me halfway through it to realize this was an April Fools joke by the scanlators and not by the actual author.

Simca
joined Jan 3, 2020

Trying to find the manga about a Spider girl who forms a harem to repopulate her species. It starts with a "10/10 confession" to a popular girl who turns out to be a demon hunter.

joined Jan 3, 2020

Seems like this manga is less about the supernatural stuff, which appears to be a framework for letting the characters become better people by letting go of their inhibitions.

joined Jan 3, 2020

This is nearly at WTF Am I Reading levels, lol.

joined Jan 3, 2020

If you ever get genderbent for shit n giggles, and you react like Tsubakida, congrats! You are not trans.

I think the point is she's trying to out her family line as cursed and therefore end it. Nothing to do with society as a whole

Lol yeah I was thinking this whole chapter about how strong of a contrast this provides vs the main characters' experience. The author clearly didn't run out of ideas, they just read this thread and other comments, saw the people arguing insistently this can't be a trans story, and decided to insert a plot divergence to spite them. :P

Then clearly we need to organize a campaign to complain loudly about how this manga isn't Yuri and can't be about F/F couples, so the author can 'spite us' by making this manga exactly to my tastes.

(I actually like MtF trans stories too, so I'll keep reading.)

joined Jan 3, 2020

I know this is clearly supposed to be a love triangle... But it's so unbalanced that the love triangle tag almost feels misleading

Honestly, I'm not sure the point is the love triangle, given how unbalanced it is. I think it's a coming of age story that's about how friends (and relationships) change over time.

When you look at it from that angle, the author signaling very obviously who is going to end up together isn't harmful to the story.

Simca
joined Jan 3, 2020

I love these type of self-discovery stories.

Simca
joined Jan 3, 2020

Damn the resolution, and the growth for Xingyuan, are absolutely perfect.

And it's not the first time this was shown, but the characters do really act their age. I could see myself, back when I was 19, believing that an honest talk and good intentions would fix most things, and 10 years later, realizing that some things just can't be repaired.

Yeah, and the car ride and response was pretty accurate to how most people in their teens would take advice like this.

"You don't know everything! My situation is totally different!"

joined Jan 3, 2020

I think you can read it either way.

Biggest evidence that sister is just in love with the GF and wants her for herself is the way she curls her fingers upwards in the earlier part of the teasing dialogue, to prepare for handholding.

But the last page does really read to me as bitter about the relationship. But it doesn't make sense for her to be this bitter when she's already making out with the girl she likes. That makes me think it could be about the brother.

joined Jan 3, 2020

I cant believe this place is more moderate in discussions about the various yuri elements in this manga than fucking mangadex. No grooming accusations, no love-shaming Riri accusing her of being a easy woman, no general shallow understanding resembling ironic yuriweebs. What happened? Did you guys lose all the twitter retards to that place?

I'll save my righteous anger for a situation that was actually real and not fiction. This is also pretty tame as far as those types of things go in manga (I mean this isn't even illegal).

I do wish we got more time with the main couple. They don't even appear in most of these chapters now.

joined Jan 3, 2020

This looks like it could be really good!

joined Jan 3, 2020

Uhh, so I'm no expert on ABO stuff, but isn't marking in these stories usually something permanent? I recall it being super serious (more permanent than marriage), so Tang Chao suggesting it here in a casual way here is wild.

joined Jan 3, 2020

"Hey, you poor wench." BRO

It's funny that the prince refers to her exclusively by her financial status for soooo many chapters lol.

joined Jan 3, 2020

I'm not sure I understand the conversation on the last page of the latest chapter.

Why is Aya-chan suddenly trying to bug out? Are her remarks just meant to say something like "I find you much more intimidating to talk to in your punk appearance"?

joined Jan 3, 2020

There's certainly a point where excessive neediness in a relationship (constant requirement of affirmation of some sort of status) is, at the very least, unattractive to most people. I agree that being worried about your GF not contacting you after 28 hours isn't that, though, especially if you typically have a lot of daily back-and-forth communication via text.

Jumping to conclusions about cheating or something is probably premature though. I'd be worried about her health (which our MC also is).

last edited at Feb 21, 2024 11:37PM

joined Jan 3, 2020

What is Volume 99.9 supposed to be? I mean, why is it named like that?

joined Jan 3, 2020

Heh, if you count the official release, there are now four scanlations for this manga. Two on MangaDex (one fast, one high-quality), then this one here on Dynasty, and then the official one.

joined Jan 3, 2020

Overall this manga was pretty okay. Like SAD said in the final translation notes, this really would have been improved by a timeskip and a changed Kazuha. It also would have been an amazing manga if the author had committed to what they seemed strongly tempted to do, which is let Nagashima move on from the highschooler who had hijacked her life and get herself an OL romance with Takimiya. I wonder if there was controversy among the Japanese fans, with some people protesting the potential age gap relationship when it's been very plausibly platonic this whole time, and some people wanting that age gap romance and hating the idea of a Takimiya plot twist turning that into bait. The finale we got feels like a compromise trying to make those two camps not mad, which resulted in a somewhat muddled feeling.

Nah. If there's one thing I've learned from reading manga, it's that Japanese readers don't think about questions like "is this age gap too big?" and "are these characters too young?". There are multiple manga on this very site where the ages of the lead characters are 12 and 30, and some of them have more romance than this one.

I mean, personally, those type of stories make me feel very uncomfortable, but it doesn't seem to bother folks over there nearly as much.

Simca
joined Jan 3, 2020

Not sure calling these two shorts 'chapter 13' and 'chapter 14' is very accurate.

But it isn't exactly inaccurate either, since the authors seemed to abandon naming by numbers when they called the 12th mainline story 'Season 2'. That said, 1 through 11 are numbered on the manga's title page and these are not.

joined Jan 3, 2020

There's an absolutely devastating amount of content being lost or left unfinished. Some series have some fan translations available (though in some of cases, Bilibili's translations were superior). However, around half of these series have never even been attempted by fan translation groups, even before Bilibili started on working them.

China has over 10x the population of Japan, and even if there's much less GL per person written there, there's also very few English fan translation groups working on Chinese content compared to Japanese. It's nobody fault that so much slips through the cracks in comparison, but the reality does suck. It's heartbreaking to see all of this lost content/lost potential content. Even if people preserve what's there (which unfortunately will be probably be subject to takedowns if hosted here or MD, so it can only be on aggregators), I doubt many of these series will ever be finished.

My personal favorite manhua is Baili Jin Among Mortals. Outside Bilibili, there was an old Mangadex translation that went to like... chapter 35 that was decent. These days, it has a really, really mediocre MTL-translation-quality, MS-Paint-paneling-quality fan translation available on aggregators only. I'd guess it was probably being posted to Facebook only (and to be fair to whoever is doing it, Dynasty and Mangadex comments would probably be vicious to the quality of this fan translation).

This is the type of situation a lot of fans are going to be in. The alternatives of nothing and MTL.

Anyway, I'm up to date on all of them, so I'll make a post later with a rough summary of what the situation for every series is (i.e. "is it done? are there any fan translation efforts? where? any official alternatives? where?").

most of these manhua are frankly incomprehensible despite the relatively high quality translations due to very, VERY poor paneling/understanding of sequential art anyway
I'd be more interested in finding out how many of these were adapted from webnovels and getting those licensed

No, most of them are fine, decent even. I have a particularly hard time with bad panel attribution, and I only had any issue with about 2 of their older works. As you noted, the translation quality is typically exceptional. There were a few weird chapters in a couple of the series that had a drastically lower quality. It happened around this time last year (the last time they contemplated a shutdown).

I truly wish I could summarize this shutdown as "oh well, everything was shit anyway; nothing was lost". Unfortunately, even if you think that's true, the alternatives of literally nothing or 'translations' like the Baili Jin one are both awful.

last edited at Jan 30, 2024 4:33PM

joined Jan 3, 2020

Always nice to see an author who knows how to show, not tell. For instance, rather than just coming out and telling us, they use the needle thing to reveal that this story takes place in a universe where tweezers dont exist. Masterfully done.

Needles are slightly more common (though these are stars who rely on their appearance, so you'd think they have both). They're also better than tweezers at getting really deep splinters (but this one appears to be externally grippable already).