Forum › The Moon on a Rainy Night discussion

joined Jun 21, 2021

Saki is down so damn bad lmao

Capture
joined Apr 16, 2020

Also I do wonder if it's that bad to be deaf and walk out at night in your own neighborhood--this would be akin to walking out while wearing noise cancelling headphones. I'd understand it more if they live in a neighborhood prone to crime or reckless driving though.

i'm not deaf but i've got a fairly severe hearing loss, and for me it's less so that i can't hear what's going on, it's that i don't know where sound is coming from. being in the dark already puts most people on edge but if sounds are muffled/seem to be coming from random directions it just puts you in a state of animalistic dread. before i got hearing aids, i used to sprint home from my middle school to my house after band concerts (we lived very very closed to the school and i could just walk home, but the darkness freaked me out). it basically makes you feel like a prey animal, even if the surroundings are familiar

Thanks for answering. I guess it'd be more similar to wearing noise cancelling headphones and suddenly being blasted with muffled and distorted audio with dynamic volume and on different channels(left-right). I get the dreadful feeling from that. Although this is not the same since people who can hear fine won't be able to comprehend living with it.

Images%20(2)
joined Jun 3, 2021

I don't know why but this series gives me such weird feeling of anxiety while reading, does anyone else feel like that?

last edited at Aug 1, 2022 6:39PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I don't know why but this series gives me such weird feeling of anxiety while reading, does anyone else feel like that?

I think that's because while we do get a pretty good look at Saki's feelings, Kanon plays everything pretty close to the vest, so that sense of "unequal feelings" that the person above mentioned is always there.

We've seen more of Kanon's feelings lately, but it's almost as if Saki's feelings are getting deeper and so are Kanon's, which means that the total distance between them doesn't feel like it's actually closing very much.

In neither case do we get much actual interior monologue explicitly laying out the characters' feelings, but Saki's reactions are considerably easier to read (as shown at the end of this chapter).

Or maybe it's because Kanon seems pretty prickly and filters everything through her deafness, so her reaction to her own feelings (or maybe her realization of Saki's toward her) feels pretty unpredictable.

I wouldn't be totally shocked if the "we can't be together because reasons" trope were to show up at some point. And that's never comfortable.

last edited at Aug 1, 2022 7:27PM

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

Or maybe it's because Kanon seems pretty prickly and filters everything through her deafness, so her reaction to her own feelings (or maybe her realization of Saki's toward her) feels pretty unpredictable.

I wouldn't be totally shocked if the "we can't be together because reasons" trope were to show up at some point. And that's never comfortable.

I can't help but think that Kanon is just so used to keeping people at arm's length that the gradual 'closing of the distance' between her and Saki is just something she is blissfully unaware of even as she revels in it.

I am looking forward to that 'wake up' moment when it hits her that Saki is the One. I know you are (jokingly) steeling us for the worst, but I just can't help but hope for the best.
The quantum collapse of the two is still a ways away.

joined Aug 21, 2017

I like how, in the extras, Kanon avoids looking at her mom because she can't hear her lecture and she can't lipread if she doesn't look at her face.

joined Feb 21, 2019

some top tier blushing going on there :D and the h-hand holding!

joined Jun 21, 2021

I think for me it really is how un even the Saki and Kanon dynamic feels. Saki seems so afraid or self conscious of her feelings, and is trying desperately to not show them while also just trying to be genuine with kanon. It feels like she’s walking on eggshells in most scenes, or that she’s always anxious

Idk how much of this is just my personal read, but it just feels like Saki is stressed constantly, or on the edge of having a nervous breakdown. It might be my feelings toward the artwork, Saki just always lookin stressed out to me at the end of some of these chapters lol

Tumblr_inline_nmpg2zqwcs1s53ljo_100
joined Apr 4, 2014

Saki is down so damn bad lmao

You beat me to this comment haha yea she is.

welease.wodger
joined Oct 2, 2021

Saki's gayer for Kanon more than a my little pony convention.
Hopefully Kanon is awaking to her inner gay for Saki.

last edited at Aug 2, 2022 7:50AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I can't help but think that Kanon is just so used to keeping people at arm's length that the gradual 'closing of the distance' between her and Saki is just something she is blissfully unaware of even as she revels in it.

I am looking forward to that 'wake up' moment when it hits her that Saki is the One. I know you are (jokingly) steeling us for the worst, but I just can't help but hope for the best.
The quantum collapse of the two is still a ways away.

Well, I don’t expect any “we can’t be together” period to be the endgame, just one of many potential roadblocks on the way to what (at this point) I expect to be a happy ending.

My main point jibes with yours—Kanon has a pattern of fending people off, so it’s hard to predict exactly how she’ll react to a “wake up moment.”

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I like how, in the extras, Kanon avoids looking at her mom because she can't hear her lecture and she can't lipread if she doesn't look at her face.

I love that, and my initial reaction goes back to the point that’s been made before: that it can be hard to remember to be mindful and considerate of a deaf person’s needs because deafness is “invisible.”

I looked at that scene and thought, “What, is there a Japanese cultural convention that you look a person in the eye when they’re giving you a scolding? I was sure it was the other way around—everybody bows their head and mutters apologies.”

Then: “Oh, yeah—right.” (Baka.)

Palucina1
joined May 26, 2020

I like that Rinne touched Kanon's back when she wanted to speak with her. It's the little things.

Also, Saki can't get married now that she lost her virginity.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I like that Rinne touched Kanon's back when she wanted to speak with her. It's the little things.

Saki as well.

Also, Saki can't get married now that she lost her virginity.

Surely Kanon will do the responsible thing?

joined Jan 3, 2020

I really like this story because it reminds me so much more of what life is actually like for a closeted teen lesbian.

Having an MC that is sure of their own sexuality as a teenager but isn't open about it is very unusual in manga.

I also like that the little sister can sense that something is slightly different than normal about Saki's interest in Kanon but doesn't have enough life experience to make the "is a lesbian and is in love with her" guess.

I think for me it really is how un even the Saki and Kanon dynamic feels. Saki seems so afraid or self conscious of her feelings, and is trying desperately to not show them while also just trying to be genuine with kanon. It feels like she’s walking on eggshells in most scenes, or that she’s always anxious

Idk how much of this is just my personal read, but it just feels like Saki is stressed constantly, or on the edge of having a nervous breakdown. It might be my feelings toward the artwork, Saki just always lookin stressed out to me at the end of some of these chapters lol

No, I also get this impression. She's constantly tense or acting restrained. This is what Rinne is picking up on as being unusual. I think it's a combination of:
A. wanting to put her best foot forward for a girl she's interested in
B. restraining herself from showing her true feelings
C. trying to be respectful of Kanon and her hearing problems
D. wanting to be a good friend

Obviously some of those desires are conflicting.

last edited at Aug 3, 2022 7:21AM

joined Jan 11, 2022

Really like this series, just binged the whole thing and wow - I might have to do it again! Thanks for scanlating this!

Lucifer Gordon
joined Aug 9, 2021

I dont know, this is one of my best pj thanks for letting read it bc i cant understand japanese, i really appreciate your work.

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

so Saki finally admits she's in love, though given the framing she might still view that as a bad thing because in her mind that means she's somehow taking advantage of Kanon by being by her side.

last edited at Sep 2, 2022 6:41PM

Bppble
joined Aug 22, 2022

Weren't the stick people all supposed to get one box in the first panel of that drawing and then the whole point was about redistributing the boxes equitably? Like, where did the boxes come from teach?

joined Apr 16, 2022

Saki and Kanon have a pretty interesting dynamic. Saki is so nervous about revealing her crush that she kind of just prattles on about whatever comes to her mind, which often causes her to press one of Kanon's many trauma buttons. But Kanon is the type of person who lets few people be close but those she does allow she clings to tightly, and that unequivocal trust is what enables her to bounce back quickly.

(Also I feel personally called out since I also thought Kanon had a crush on the sensei, but if she wants to prevent such misunderstandings she should stop blushing so much lol.)

Img_3750
joined Feb 3, 2021

Oh geez Saki is her own worst enemy right now. Just a whole bunch of internalization going on right now. I feel like that little call out about thinking Kanon liked the teacher was partially meant for the readers as well haha.

joined Apr 15, 2013

I figured it out, folks! This is definitely a yuri series. Probably.

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Glad to know the "equality vs equity" meme is universal

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

so Saki finally admits she's in love, though given the framing she might still view that as a bad thing because in her mind that means she's somehow taking advantage of Kanon by being by her side.

It would be taking advantage if she had no interest in Kanon without the romantic angle. If the only reason she was being friendly and helping her out was that, it could be seen as a negative thing, a bit like work relationships between a boss and his worker. Yes, she clearly does not intend to, but it is the potential for abuse is the reason such things are frowned upon.

joined Apr 16, 2022

I don't think "taking advantage" is the right way to describe befriending someone because you're romantically interested in them; it's more the concern that a friendship based on false (or unstated) pretenses is inherently unstable. This is a particular concern here because Saki is basically Kanon's only friend; losing her would be a really big blow, and there's a risk of that happening if Saki confesses and gets rejected (or vice versa from Kanon's perspective).

To reply you must either login or sign up.