Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

By the way, I don't translate the title of the chapters, even though Agu gives them titles, because Amarrez never did, but in this instance, the title has significance.

This chapter has the serie's title on twitter: 気になってた人が男じゃなかった

Which, in this instance, means "The Guy I Was Interested in Wasn’t a Guy"

So, Agu tells us that Aya indeed realized that Onii-san and Koga are one and the same.

No need to search for other interpretations.

Thank you, Kirin-kun, for clearing that up. Imho it should have been transparently obvious -- I mean, Aya had already realized that Koga had Onii-san's voice, Onii-san's eyes, Onii-san's piercing holes, it was only one more small step to realize Onii-san is Koga -- but judging by some of the previous posts there was indeed a need to straighten it out.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

By the way, I don't translate the title of the chapters, even though Agu gives them titles, because Amarrez never did, but in this instance, the title has significance.

So, Agu tells us that Aya indeed realized that Onii-san and Koga are one and the same.

Thank you, Kirin-kun, for clearing that up. Imho it should have been transparently obvious -- I mean, Aya had already realized that Koga had Onii-san's voice, Onii-san's eyes, Onii-san's piercing holes, it was only one more small step to realize Onii-san is Koga -- but judging by some of the previous posts there was indeed a need to straighten it out.

There is actually more nuance here than just that. The series title is actually 気になってる人が男じゃなかった ("The One She Is Interested in Wasn't a Guy"), while this chapter deliberately uses the past tense instead ("was interested" instead of "is"). Amarrez, the original scanlator, used the past tense for the series as a whole for some reason, so this nuance is mostly lost on the audience here.

last edited at Aug 21, 2022 2:43PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Except the very fact the she had those previous pieces of evidence and didn’t make the connection meant that there was no certainty that she would do so this time either, especially since Jerkface-kun had no problem identifying Koga with no hesitation whatsoever.

It’s transparently obvious to us that they’re the same person (because we’re told from the beginning), but the point at which it would become obvious to the character was entirely up in the air.

420e065dfd1a4d6b3655ec2b8f710afc%20(1)
joined Apr 25, 2020

OOOOOOH MY GAAAWD

joined Dec 13, 2020

La duchesse de Pecquigny
joined Jun 7, 2021

OH NO SHE KNOWS
THE ABSENCE OF ANY OBVIOUS BLUSHING OR HAPPY-GAY SPARKLES IS MAKING THIS VERY DIFFICULT TO PARSE ON WHETHER IT'S A GOOD REVELATION (for her) OR NOT
I'M SO STRESSED OUT

Or she think Onii-san send it to Koga and is his GF.

Lol t'as raté une bonne occasion de te taire. XD

White%20rose%20index
joined Aug 16, 2018

The author said that instead of being a work that could be classified as Yuri, the story is about the relationship between women (which can, indeed, mean friendship; please let’s not come back to the yuri or yurin’t debate).

Sumiko uses the word "aijou" in that interview, which specifically means "love" or "affection."

"Ai" is all forms of love: parent and child, brother and sister, romantic, platonic, etc. If you want to talk specifically about passionate (sexual) love then "koi" is the right word to use. When the author said that her story was not about yuri but rather about "generic love" between women she prolly meant that there won't be a lesbian/sexual side in the relationship between Aya and Mitsuki. (But maybe I'm wrong...)

last edited at Aug 21, 2022 3:42PM

Vashu
joined Apr 2, 2017

gay gay homosexual gay

joined Jun 25, 2021

at last

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Oh nooo she doesn't look happy!

This chapter makes me worry, not because of anything happening in the story, I think they'll work it out, but because I think this means we'll be finishing this story soon. This feels like a point of no return.

Unless this goes on after they start dating! :o I like when stories do that.

To add a layer to your worries, individual chapters have their own titles in the original and these were not translated in the scanlated version, also the overall title of the series is not actually using the correct tense in English. The series is actually titled "The One She Is Interested in Wasn't a Guy", present tense. This chapter, however, is titled "The One She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy", past tense (ironically, the tense the scanlated version has been incorrectly using since the beginning).

I feel bad for Aya because this means she is really heartbroken. This was probably her first love and it ended with her finding out the person was lying and that they are not who she thought they were.

Well, DECEPTIVE. I'm not sure she has actually made any false claims--like, I don't think the record store employee ever said "By the way, in case you're wondering, I'm totally a guy and a separate person from your female classmate!" So she hasn't, like, lied as such.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

The author said that instead of being a work that could be classified as Yuri, the story is about the relationship between women (which can, indeed, mean friendship; please let’s not come back to the yuri or yurin’t debate).

Sumiko uses the word "aijou" in that interview, which specifically means "love" or "affection."

"Ai" is all forms of love: parent and child, brother and sister, romantic, platonic, etc. If you want to talk specifically about passionate (sexual) love then "koi" is the right word to use. When the author said that her story was not about yuri but rather about "generic love" between women she prolly meant that there won't be a lesbian/sexual side in the relationship between Aya and Mitsuki. (But maybe I'm wrong...)

Well, that would require a major transformation in the relationship though. I mean, the basic feelings our gyaru has had about the mysterious record store employee has been very much weak-at-the-knees infatuation, not "Gosh, what a nice person, I'd like to build a friendly relationship based on mutual understanding". And indeed, the relationship with the classmate has revolved around intermittent flashes of that same kind of doki-doki causing confusion.

In the case of both the version she thought was a guy and the version she knows is a girl, the feelings have been revolving around lightning bolts of desire and passion, not sisterly platonic stuff. So it would be weird if they ended up just buddies.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^I agree. She was aware of the misunderstanding and chose to let it stand- and even tried to make sure the misunderstanding wasn't found it- which falls short of lying imo. One could say she had her own reasons for wanting to not be found out- she had no obligation to clear it up.

It still wasnt a great thing to do - but this manga doesn't seem like the type to go super angsty so I'm guessing it wont be held against her for long or at all and whatever excuse she has will be excepted.

p.s the fact the title has switched to past tense doesn't guarantee she has figured out they are the same person- if Oosawa thinks she is 'his' gf she might have given up on 'him'.

last edited at Aug 21, 2022 4:10PM

Screenshot_2019-08-25%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20social%20anxiety%20vs%20yuri%20ch04(1)
joined Aug 12, 2019

woooohoooo! ch.18 have set off 4 pages in the comment sections with more to come.

I hope Aya's heart-shaped box won't be crush by this realization. the Prince, soon to be formerly known as the record store guy, Mitsuki will have to come clean in the next few chapters.

joined Mar 21, 2017

So now that she knows her oniisan is a girl, she has fallen into despair. Thankfully, I trust this author not to speedrun the relationship at this point

I feel like I'd be fine if they just slowly made up and became friends. It has the potential to be such a nice relationship regardless of how far it goes

I agree. I don't want it to go the "he's a girl so that must mean I'm gay" route, since that would be unrealistic. Instead it should start with them being friends and her learning to love Koga for who she is instead of who she thought she was.

While i generally agree, a lot of Aya's attraction to Mitsuki’s work persona is based on mutual interests etc over just liking them based on their "maleness" so for the most part those seeds are already there.

joined Apr 16, 2022

Maybe translating the entire quote will make it clearer:

"I'm not sure whether the manga I'm writing is what people call 'yuri.' It's more like 'love between women'; I feel a fascination toward that theme. There was a time when I myself struggled [she uses "nayamu" here] with my sexuality, so it makes me very happy to see people with different sexualities, backgrounds, lives, and occupations read the stories and characters born from that time [in my life]. Please continue to kindly watch over Mitsuki and Aya."

If this story and these characters are inspired by the period in Sumiko's life when she was struggling with her own sexuality, I think it's safe to say they're not just going to be straight, platonic friends.

joined Aug 21, 2022

Maybe translating the entire quote will make it clearer:

"I'm not sure whether the manga I'm writing is what people call 'yuri.' It's more like 'love between women'; I feel a fascination toward that theme. There was a time when I myself struggled [she uses "nayamu" here] with my sexuality, so it makes me very happy to see people with different sexualities, backgrounds, lives, and occupations read the stories and characters born from that time [in my life]. Please continue to kindly watch over Mitsuki and Aya."

If this story and these characters are inspired by the period in Sumiko's life when she was struggling with her own sexuality, I think it's safe to say they're not just going to be straight, platonic friends.

Or she realized she was straight but still has a fetish for lesbian relationships.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

It has repeatedly come up with manga creators that a lot of them consider "Yuri" a specific genre with specific tropes. I would caution people to just read the story and interpret it on it's own terms.

Hj
joined May 3, 2020

Yeah I saw this coming. And it's not "Oh no, I'm gay" it's "Oh no, I was lied to." And in all honesty: She's justified in that reaction.

My%20god
joined Dec 27, 2014

She found out! [crab_rave.gif]

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

^@Heavensrun

Judging from other statements from mangaka about whether a particular story was or was going to be yuri or not, it’s pretty clear that the definition of what they mean by “what people call ‘yuri’” varies pretty widely (i.e., the creator says “I wouldn’t call it yuri,” and sometimes we definitely would, and other times not.)

For most purposes I’m all in favor of Dynasty’s wide definition of yuri, but statements like these demonstrate that’s certainly not how everyone defines the genre.

last edited at Aug 21, 2022 5:19PM

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

^I agree. She was aware of the misunderstanding and chose to let it stand- and even tried to make sure the misunderstanding wasn't found it- which falls short of lying imo.

It does not fall short, actually. Lying by omission explicitly covers situations where one party makes a wrong assumption and then the other party deliberately does not correct them and leaves them to operate under said wrong assumption. Mitsuki lied here, that much is beyond dispute. Especially once she transitioned into just straight up purposefully maintaining the misunderstanding, such as concealing her face outside work whenever she happened upon Aya and threatening Jerkface to stay silent.

One could say she had her own reasons for wanting to not be found out- she had no obligation to clear it up.

Are you serious? Not baiting, legitimate question. Aya was pursuing a personal relationship, be it friendly or romantic, with Mitsuki. Mitsuki was well aware of this, and in her "onii-san" persona she actively encouraged it and willingly participated, all the while deliberately leaving Aya in the dark. On what plane of reality can this be seen as "yeah, she was totally not under any obligation here whatsoever"? It is a shitty thing to do to anybody, period, regardless of the reasoning behind it.

And her "reasoning" boils down to "I am an introvert, she is an extrovert, the two do not mix", which is a laughably thin rationale for someone to do what she did.

last edited at Aug 21, 2022 5:47PM

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

^I agree. She was aware of the misunderstanding and chose to let it stand- and even tried to make sure the misunderstanding wasn't found it- which falls short of lying imo.

It does not fall short, actually. Lying by omission explicitly covers situations where one party makes a wrong assumption and then the other party deliberately does not correct them and leaves them to operate under said wrong assumption. Mitsuki lied here, that much is beyond dispute. Especially once she transitioned into just straight up purposefully maintaining the misunderstanding, such as concealing her face outside work whenever she happened upon Aya and threatening Jerkface to stay silent.

One could say she had her own reasons for wanting to not be found out- she had no obligation to clear it up.

Are you serious? Not baiting, legitimate question. Aya was pursuing a personal relationship, be it friendly or romantic, with Mitsuki. Mitsuki was well aware of this, and in her "onii-san" persona she actively encouraged it and willingly participated, all the while deliberately leaving Aya in the dark. On what plane of reality can this be seen as "yeah, she was totally not under any obligation here whatsoever"? It is a shitty thing to do to anybody, period, regardless of the reasoning behind it.

And her "reasoning" boils down to "I am an introvert, she is an extrovert, the two do not mix", which is a laughably thin rationale for someone to do what she did.

We had a big argument about this in the first 10 or 20 pages of this discussion. The argument here is that while there is such a thing as lying by omission, there is also such a thing as presumption of privacy. Not telling someone something isn't of itself a moral wrong, it just depends on the relationship you have and the conversations you've had until this point.

Look I'm not going to make you search for it, here is what I wrote back then:

I think it'll be easier to understand with some analogies.
"How could you not tell me you were a girl?"
"How could you not tell me you were black?"
"How could you not tell me you were Chinese?"
"How could you not tell me you were Muslim?"
Etc.

There is a presumption here that keeping that information from other people is a form of deception. And the corresponding implication that to keep that from someone is a form of violence, which would then necessitate a violent response. The answer is that it's no one's business.

Of course, you could argue that there are certain things that you should reveal in a relationship. If you have religious differences on how you should raise your kids, then the topic of your respective views on faith definitely needs to be above board. And yes, when physical intimacy comes into play then discussions of how you go about that should also be above board.

But that doesn't hold true for 99% of interactions. Your coworkers, your customers, your classmates, and any other strangers in your life have no right to know that information about you. Acting like this is a deception when they aren't dating is to presume ownership of that aspect of another person's privacy. Just as it would be xenophobic to demand to know where someone was born before interacting with them, and racist to demand to know the color of their skin, it would be sexist/transphobic to demand the same for their gender.

joined Jan 14, 2020

It has repeatedly come up with manga creators that a lot of them consider "Yuri" a specific genre with specific tropes. I would caution people to just read the story and interpret it on it's own terms.

We're still traumatized by Nettaigyo.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

^ Um, so what to the whole “obligation” debate? In any case, Mitsuki wasn’t forthright, and now she’s going to have to ‘fess, up, and we get to watch.

If the characters were real and being hauled before an ethics tribunal consisting of Dynasty readers, the definition of “lying” and “omission,” etc. would be relevant to the verdict.

Of course, if Mitsuki had chosen the most candid approach to her classmate’s initial misunderstanding, there would be no story. So there’s that.

last edited at Aug 21, 2022 6:13PM

joined Mar 21, 2017

If the characters were real and being hauled before an ethics tribunal consisting of Dynasty readers, the definition of “lying” and “omission,” etc. would be relevant to the verdict.

Please don't give dynasty forum members ideas.

last edited at Aug 21, 2022 6:14PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.