Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

Shenhe%20-%20kopie
joined May 28, 2021

I swear that every time this manga gets an update my heart grows weaker and weaker. Can't wait for the next chapter.

_warningm_edited
joined Jan 15, 2021

I hope this doesn't come off as snide, snarky, or jerkish in any way, but reading the comments for this chapter has been very uplifting for me since ALL of the comments above mine have been nice and kind and rather hopeful on the behalf of the characters. That has been a VERY nice way to enjoy the morning and is much appreciated by me. That might be slightly hypocritical of me considering my own comments about the male classmate's behavior in chapters past,but still this gets to be counted in the win column I'm thinking.

Screenshot%202022-04-05%20021706
joined Jun 19, 2014

Yiiiiii here it comes!
I vote she gets emo-mad and stops visiting the shop and ignores glasses until glasses reaches out to her.

Pocchi-avatar2
joined Jun 15, 2021

I'm sure Oosawa will find another out of the blue excuse to convince herself that the classmate who sits next to her is also the record store employee.

joined Aug 14, 2022

Oh oh, I don't like that expression, Oosawa. Does she think Koga is the music guy's girlfriend ? As if they needed even more miscommunication T_T START TALKING IT OUT YOU IDIOTS !

joined Aug 14, 2022

Oooh, ok, Oosawa figured it out. Welp, I'm curious to see how things will go from there ! I just hope that if Oosawa becomes uncomfortable around Koga because she doesn't know how to act now that she knows, Koga will be the one to take the first step into untangling this mess. Oosawa has always been the one to try to push their relationship, but Koga seems genuinely fond of her now, so I hope she'll do something.

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Since Koga doesn't know what happened, presumably she'll accidentally pull one of her smooth moves again. We'll see how Oosawa reacts now that she knows. And mustn't forget the guy being there ^^;

Fox_paw_tribal
joined Feb 25, 2013

I hope there isn't some misunderstanding like, "Onii-san sent the playlist to his girlfriend?!?" These two are too cute to play into that stupid trope. Their taste in music is too good to let it come between them!

Nobody
joined Aug 17, 2019

FREAKING FINALLY!

https://youtu.be/i1SzHvcdPME

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Junior1210 posted:

I hope this doesn't come off as snide, snarky, or jerkish in any way, but reading the comments for this chapter has been very uplifting for me since ALL of the comments above mine have been nice and kind and rather hopeful on the behalf of the characters. That has been a VERY nice way to enjoy the morning and is much appreciated by me. That might be slightly hypocritical of me considering my own comments about the male classmate's behavior in chapters past,but still this gets to be counted in the win column I'm thinking.

I think so too, because I once said that I was a little concerned with how excited everyone was (and what I meant by that, is that people should take it easy because they were expecting way too much and it could go wrong) so when I saw this chapter and her heart aching I'm gonna be honest, I had second thoughts about reading the reactions lo/ but everyone seems to be calm and ready to see whatever comes next.

Images%20(2)
joined Jun 3, 2021

Oh oh, I don't like that expression, Oosawa. Does she think Koga is the music guy's girlfriend ? As if they needed even more miscommunication T_T START TALKING IT OUT YOU IDIOTS !

That's...actually not a unrealistic outcome, I wouldn't be surprised if it goes down this path

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

Oh nooo she doesn't look happy!

This chapter makes me worry, not because of anything happening in the story, I think they'll work it out, but because I think this means we'll be finishing this story soon. This feels like a point of no return.

Unless this goes on after they start dating! :o I like when stories do that.

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

This chapter makes me worry, not because of anything happening in the story, I think they'll work it out, but because I think this means we'll be finishing this story soon. This feels like a point of no return.

To add a layer to your worries, individual chapters have their own titles in the original and these were not translated in the scanlated version, also the overall title of the series is not actually using the correct tense in English. The series is actually titled "The One She Is Interested in Wasn't a Guy", present tense. This chapter, however, is titled "The One She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy", past tense (ironically, the tense the scanlated version has been incorrectly using since the beginning).

last edited at Aug 21, 2022 11:54AM

Screenshot%202018-12-25%20at%2001.01.20
joined Jul 22, 2017

I'm curious which theory is correct, whether she is realizing she's the employee or if she thinks she's dating the employee

EDIT - apparently the title gives it away, lol never mind

last edited at Aug 21, 2022 12:17PM

joined Nov 27, 2016

My bet is that she knows she’s the employee, since she realized the music that koga was listening to was the exact playlist she sent the onii-San so it’d make more sense in that way

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

I don’t think this means we are really close to the end of the story. If Sumiko’s interview is any indication, their intention is to build their relationship (be it romantic or friendship) past the misunderstanding.

The author said that instead of being a work that could be classified as Yuri, the story is about the relationship between women (which can, indeed, mean friendship; please let’s not come back to the yuri or yurin’t debate). If their intention was not to make the girls build their relationship past the misunderstanding, they would have said something. And even if people might think (oh we’ll get like 5 chapters of them making up), I don’t believe the author is someone who would do a half-assed job with showing that the characters managed to build a genuine relationship. So I am guessing the 18th chapter marks the end of the first half of the story (in other words, I’d give it ~36 chapters for the story to complete itself, which I think is good enough for a twitter short).

If it’s a story about their relationship, it only makes sense there will be some twists and turns before we get an ending.
Something like:
Aya will feel weird, we will get some introspection from her, Mitsuki will pick up, somehow she will notice Aya found out and finally feel really guilty about it, then they will make up (probably this scene will happen, but before this we will get some more chapters with Mitsuki coming up with a way to say sorry), after making up they will have a heart to heart and then we will get them trying to work out their relationship and try to come to an agreement about what it is.

Mitsuki_25_1_40
joined May 7, 2022

To add a layer to your worries, individual chapters have their own titles in the original and these were not translated in the scanlated version, also the overall title of the series is not actually using the correct tense in English. The series is actually titled "The One She Is Interested in Wasn't a Guy", present tense. This chapter, however, is titled "The One She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy", past tense (ironically, the tense the scanlated version has been incorrectly using since the beginning).

I feel bad for Aya because this means she is really heartbroken. This was probably her first love and it ended with her finding out the person was lying and that they are not who she thought they were.

Img_20171030_220015_379
joined Oct 31, 2016

cliffhangy tryna kill me ;-;

Img_20171030_220015_379
joined Oct 31, 2016

cliffhangy tryna kill me ;-;

E1f7694b-042f-443d-a5cb-df7de61c8a40
joined Dec 29, 2013

Oh no.

For Oosawa to say that the music that saves her is now trying to kill her T_T
I feel her pain. I know too well what it feels like to have the thing that comforts you turn into the one hurting you most.

I imagine her putting so much hope when creating that playlist. When that hope was shattered what is left is a bitter memory.

Will she end up despising this kind of music or will it somehow manage to save her still? Will it tear them apart or bring them closer?

I hope the author wouldn’t torture us much longer.

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

Looks like Oosawa's about to start listening to Rebel Girl and the Con

joined Mar 15, 2015

I'm glad that they finally got around to having Aya find out that Mitsuki is a girl, so it seems as though she'll now have to work through her feelings. Things will undeniably be awkward between them, but the fact that they're working together for the school festival means that they'll probably have to talk things through sooner or later.

joined Apr 16, 2022

The author said that instead of being a work that could be classified as Yuri, the story is about the relationship between women (which can, indeed, mean friendship; please let’s not come back to the yuri or yurin’t debate).

Sumiko uses the word "aijou" in that interview, which specifically means "love" or "affection." I think she's resistant to the term "yuri" because it can be quite subjective and ambiguous; what she says instead, both in that interview and in her Twitter bio, is closer to the English "women who love women."

In other words, don't worry everyone, a friendship end is very unlikely lol.

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

I’m thinking oosawa isn’t going to confront mitsuki about this right away. She is either going to distance herself complete or she will interact with both male and female versions to slowly piece together in her mind that they are the same person. Either way I’m excited for some oosawa introspective! We obviously know that mitsuki likes oosawa romantically but that’s only because oosawa is interested in her (when she’s a him). If it wasn’t for that these two would have never interacted despite sitting next to each other and sharing music tastes. That being said I wouldn’t be surprised if this leads to friendship and eventual mutual feelings between oosawa and girl mitsuki

This seems likely to me as well. I imagine she will want to distance herself somewhat, but will find that hard since they both have to work for committee. Forced to spend time together she might confront Mitsuki, or at least deal with the negative emotions that will inevitably build. I'm also curious, like you said, if she will still go to the store or still text Mitsuki to kind of feel her out.

There are so many great places this could go, but 4 pages a week is killer. I need more!

Fzvftbrxoaepy3r%20copy
joined Feb 20, 2022

Can't believe Onii-san is not only cheating on Aya but even sharing her playlist with another girl damn

To reply you must either login or sign up.