Forum › The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy At All discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Can't we appreciate just how fucking long it took for her to realize that was the same person?
Like, they have the same height, build, mole and presumably the exact same voice(Unless she was talkin' in some kind of weird Bane voice while wearing that mask)

Not to mention that Jerkface-kun recognized her instantly the first time he saw her in the store.

last edited at Aug 24, 2022 8:29AM

joined Aug 22, 2022

I swear to god I'm gonna take away some user's privileges of using words like manipulation, consent, and toxicity until they learn what they actually mean. This is why I usually stay away from the comment's section.

People are accusing others of comparing her silence to violence.
That’s absurd to do or accuse others of.
I’m saying this IS NOT an issue of “she must disclose her gender because romance is at all involved!” It’s tedious and getting overblown.

Fundamentally this is an issue of “how much responsibility does one have to disclose in a given relationship of any kind”, and when people are saying romance makes it suddenly a bigger issue it’s implying something.

It’s implying that it’s some kind of violation to hide that.
Reductio ad absurdum, that’s an issue of consent.
They’re texting, not fucking or even dating. They’re just barely flirting!!!

I’m saying it’s silly to say that, silly to get up in arms about other people saying it.

It’s a simple issue of “there’s a misunderstanding and it needs to be cleared up.

Everyone CHILL.

joined Aug 22, 2022

super sorry in advance but i really don't want to comb through this discussion to see what people are referring to by consent so can someone please summarize why people are criticizing this manga?

People are arguing about the extent to which Mitsuki had an obligation to tell Aya the truth about "onii-san." They're not really criticizing the manga, though perhaps some will in the future depending on how the current arc ends. "Consent" I think came up because the situation got compared to the question of whether a trans person has an obligation to tell the person they're dating that they're trans; I personally do not think it's a very helpful concept in this discussion.

Yes.

I’m saying there seems to be some kind of implied issue with romantic feelings instantly making deception totally different.

It’s not just that trans issues were brought up. I’m ignoring that nonsense.

It’s NOT any of that.

It’s teenagers making mistakes.
That’s what they do.

Can we all just say “what a great story! The art is good, I like the characters and the emotional reality is touching”

Also, sorry for my weirdly encyclopaedic manner of speech.

This is how I talk and I don’t know how to speak normally. It’s taking effort to be this terse.
It’s the result of reading too many books from the 18th through early 20th centuries and actual encyclopaedias etc growing up.

Even my apologies are long! I actually cut a paragraph.

last edited at Aug 24, 2022 8:38AM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

This is a matter that requires a conversation and apology. It’s not a crime.

A goodly number of Dynasty readers find that distinction difficult to maintain.

Or perhaps even more commonly there's a text/subtext that goes, "Putting the story aside, if someone were to actually do this in real life, it would be thus-and-so."

"Putting the story aside" is where we part company.

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

This is a matter that requires a conversation and apology. It’s not a crime.

A goodly number of Dynasty readers find that distinction difficult to maintain.

Or perhaps even more commonly there's a text/subtext that goes, "Putting the story aside, if someone were to actually do this in real life, it would be thus-and-so."

I don't really understand this. Stories are in part just entertainment, sure, but in part they are also the way we approach the world and talk about important issues in our lives or important events that we care about or have emotional reactions to.

Yeah this is just about two teenagers making mistakes and a misunderstanding between them, but it's just as valid for someone to look at this and see a bigger issue. That's the great thing about the interpretative nature of art, it brings in all kinds of perspectives.

last edited at Aug 24, 2022 2:05PM

joined Apr 16, 2022

Stories are in part just entertainment, sure, but in part they are also the way we approach the world and talk about important issues in our lives or important events that we care about or have emotional reactions to.

I think what Blastaar is frustrated by is the tendency of moral litigation of each character's sins to overshadow real analysis of who the characters are, why they act the way they do, and how their actions impact the broader themes of the story. At certain points the arguments in this thread have been less about the manga and more about a moral disagreement tangentially related to the manga.

Stories can be a great way to approach real-world issues. But to do that, you need to first understand the story on its own terms (otherwise you're not actually talking about the story at all), and it's that first step that's often missing.

joined Mar 21, 2017

I feel like"putting the story aside" is akin to saying "putting context aside"

last edited at Aug 24, 2022 3:55PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Stories are in part just entertainment, sure, but in part they are also the way we approach the world and talk about important issues in our lives or important events that we care about or have emotional reactions to.

I think what Blastaar is frustrated by is the tendency of moral litigation of each character's sins to overshadow real analysis of who the characters are, why they act the way they do, and how their actions impact the broader themes of the story. At certain points the arguments in this thread have been less about the manga and more about a moral disagreement tangentially related to the manga.

Stories can be a great way to approach real-world issues. But to do that, you need to first understand the story on its own terms (otherwise you're not actually talking about the story at all), and it's that first step that's often missing.

Quite right, and thanks for restating the point clearly. Obviously, people can discuss whatever they want however they want, but a lot of times (not pointing any fingers here specifically) such discussion devolves into arguments about which character has the biggest moral flaw or just berating characters for not behaving in the optimally positive way.

And the “talking about important issues” can turn into people pressing the playback buttons on long-held opinions rather than engaging with the work at hand, with the (explicit or implicit) premise “if this were real life” amounting to an argumentative off-ramp away from the story and into an opinion-having contest.

last edited at Aug 24, 2022 4:10PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I feel like"putting the story aside" is akin to saying "putting context aside"

That's exactly what it is.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Cogito posted:

At certain points the arguments in this thread have been less about the manga and more about a moral disagreement tangentially related to the manga.

And yet, the tangent suggesting other posters are not discussing manga correctly has unsurprisingly much less to do with this manga than the posts being vaguely referenced.

Who determines what it means to "understand the story on its own terms"? I'd challenge you, or anyone taking issue with this discussion, to explain where Uranusandetc or flowsthead have committed wrongs in their character interpretations, with a lack of story understanding in mind. Failing that, I'm really not sure what value such meta discussion brings to this thread.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Cogito posted:

At certain points the arguments in this thread have been less about the manga and more about a moral disagreement tangentially related to the manga.

And yet, the tangent suggesting other posters are not discussing manga correctly has unsurprisingly much less to do with this manga than the posts being vaguely referenced.

Who determines what it means to "understand the story on its own terms"? I'd challenge you, or anyone taking issue with this discussion, to explain where Uranusandetc or flowsthead have committed wrongs in their character interpretations, with a lack of story understanding in mind. Failing that, I'm really not sure what value such meta discussion brings to this thread.

The “meta discussion” started with the question, “What does all this have to do with the story?” Some people think discussions are most fruitful when the commenters engage with the story itself rather than if the story or characters were something else, but nobody is preventing anyone from discussing anything they want in any way they want.

Unless that’s what you’re doing here.

last edited at Aug 24, 2022 6:24PM

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

manga : is wholesome
Dynasty users : going about length on a subject that wasn't in the author's mind at all

Always amazed how Dynasty can sometime a moutain out of a stone.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Blastaar posted:

nobody is preventing anyone from discussing anything they want in any way they want.

If you feel I made this claim directly or by implication, I'm happy to correct the misunderstanding. Myself aside, no individual participating in this conversation is capable of preventing any other poster from posting whatever they please. Though, given that you brought it up, I will add that it is entirely possible to dissuade other posters from participating by engaging in undue aggression, ridicule, or more direct pleading.

Some people think discussions are most fruitful when the commenters engage with the story itself rather than if the story or characters were something else

Sure. I'll ask again, more simply. Who is engaging with this manga "as if the story or characters were something else," and where? Barring any attempt at specificity, I fail to see how voicing personal frustrations about generalized "Dynasty readers" ("dynasty forum members," "people," "some user's," etc.) amounts to fruitful discussion of the story, either.

I'm currently left with the impression that if particular comments are not considered fruitful enough for a given poster, that poster could avoid engaging with them, and instead focus attention on the comments that better meet their standards.

joined Apr 16, 2022

I'm not going to go back through the thread to see who all did it, but I do think the continuous comparisons of Mitsuki misleading Aya about her gender to a trans person not wanting to out themselves as trans is precisely the sort of context-ignoring hyper-politicized argument that can make civil conversations difficult. It fundamentally misunderstands Mitsuki's character and actions by comparing her to someone she is most decidedly not (even if we read her as nonbinary). I don't think it should be against forum rules or anything to make that argument, but it's also fair to say that anyone who does so is failing to "understand the story on its own terms" by importing into it an (emotionally charged -- for very good reason mind you) issue that is at best tangentially related.

joined Feb 17, 2018

Can't we appreciate just how fucking long it took for her to realize that was the same person?
Like, they have the same height, build, mole and presumably the exact same voice(Unless she was talkin' in some kind of weird Bane voice while wearing that mask)

Not to mention that Jerkface-kun recognized her instantly the first time he saw her in the store.

It is beyond credibility but I dunno some part of me also thinks it's not so odd. As someone who is very androgynous and regularly confuses people, I've noticed that after the initial " hello ma'am, er sir, er ma'am, er sir" people decide what gender I am and after that they just don't update with new information. It takes a lot for them to switch later. She thinks onii san is a man and that expectation colors her perception of store Mitsuki in a way she doesn't experience when interacting with her at school

last edited at Aug 24, 2022 11:48PM

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

I'm not going to go back through the thread to see who all did it, but I do think the continuous comparisons of Mitsuki misleading Aya about her gender to a trans person not wanting to out themselves as trans is precisely the sort of context-ignoring hyper-politicized argument that can make civil conversations difficult. It fundamentally misunderstands Mitsuki's character and actions by comparing her to someone she is most decidedly not (even if we read her as nonbinary). I don't think it should be against forum rules or anything to make that argument, but it's also fair to say that anyone who does so is failing to "understand the story on its own terms" by importing into it an (emotionally charged -- for very good reason mind you) issue that is at best tangentially related.

As someone who has talked about the trans issue before, that's not being brought up because I think Mitsuki is trans. It's being brought up because there is a suggestion that lying about one's gender would always be wrong. So a counterargument by example would be an easy way to argue against that. Similarly to how people argue against the Kantian idea of lying always being bad by asking if you would lie to a crazed axe murderer to protect someone. It's not that every single lie being told is told to a crazed axe murderer but the idea is to point an obvious example in which a generalized statement does not hold.

No, Mitsuki is not trans and not nonbinary (unless the author tells us otherwise in the future but I highly doubt it). But using that argument isn't ignoring the context because the argument doesn't depend on the idea that only trans people can lie about their gender without moral implications. It's that lying about one's gender is something anyone should be allowed to do, but it's easiest to understand with the trans example.

It's an argument by example.

joined Apr 16, 2022

there is a suggestion that lying about one's gender would always be wrong. . . . It's that lying about one's gender is something anyone should be allowed to do, but it's easiest to understand with the trans example.

Well, first of all, the people in the trans example aren't lying about their gender, they're telling the truth about that; what they're lying/misleading about is that they're trans and not cis, which is a completely different axis of identity. A better example would be, off the top of my head, women in the Middle Ages who pretended to be men so they could work in male-exclusive occupations (sailing most famously). I think it's safe to say they weren't "wrong" to do so, but that leads to the second problem: there's an ocean of difference between "sometimes it's okay to lie about your gender" (obviously true) and "anyone should be allowed to lie about their gender" (this seems just straightforwardly false to me).

So if we're going to talk about this manga and not just speak in abstraction, the question is not whether in the abstract lying about your gender is sometimes ok, but whether Mitsuki deliberately misleading Aya -- not only about her gender but also about how her crush sits right next to her in class and hears her talk to her friends about her crush -- is justified. That question can't be answered by saying "well, in this other case that has a couple similarities lying about one's gender was justified."

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

Well, first of all, the people in the trans example aren't lying about their gender, they're telling the truth about that; what they're lying/misleading about is that they're trans and not cis, which is a completely different axis of identity. A better example would be, off the top of my head, women in the Middle Ages who pretended to be men so they could work in male-exclusive occupations (sailing most famously). I think it's safe to say they weren't "wrong" to do so, but that leads to the second problem: there's an ocean of difference between "sometimes it's okay to lie about your gender" (obviously true) and "anyone should be allowed to lie about their gender" (this seems just straightforwardly false to me).

If that's how you feel about it you are welcome to that, but from my perspective I think anyone should be allowed to lie about their gender, or rather than say lie, I don't think anyone has a right to demand to know your gender. It's not a matter of true and false, we're talking about different moral perspectives. Hence, I don't think Mitsuki is in the wrong because I don't think Aya has any kind of right to know Mitsuki's gender.

So if we're going to talk about this manga and not just speak in abstraction, the question is not whether in the abstract lying about your gender is sometimes ok, but whether Mitsuki deliberately misleading Aya -- not only about her gender but also about how her crush sits right next to her in class and hears her talk to her friends about her crush -- is justified. That question can't be answered by saying "well, in this other case that has a couple similarities lying about one's gender was justified."

Right, but since you didn't read the posts in question you might be missing that some of us have been arguing exactly this. We weren't just talking trans issues. We were talking specifically about whether Mitsuki was justified in her position, and I argued she was. Do you want me to repeat the arguments I made two pages ago?

We weren't just speaking in abstraction, but sometimes it's useful to start in abstraction before going into specifics. How can you know whether there is a point to have a discussion if you aren't using the same terms? If you think "it's only sometimes ok to lie about your gender" and I think "if in the process of not revealing your gender then it's always ok to lie" then we have a mismatch of moral standpoints. We might discuss anyway so as to learn about our different moral standpoints, or we might choose not to discuss since we might not get anywhere, but either way the abstraction is useful.

last edited at Aug 25, 2022 3:01AM

joined Apr 16, 2022

If that's how you feel about it you are welcome to that, but from my perspective I think anyone should be allowed to lie about their gender, or rather than say lie, I don't think anyone has a right to demand to know your gender.

It's not a question of "rights." Mitsuki has obviously not committed a literal crime. What she's done is (a) deliberately misled another person (b) in a way she knew, or should've known, would cause them great pain if they found out (as we saw happen in this very chapter) (c) purely in order to preserve this pseudo-friendship pseudo-romance thing she had going on with her. What precise information Aya had a "right" to know about is irrelevant. Mitsuki hurt her. She did a mean thing. She should apologize! (And I'm sure she will.) And that's all I have to say about this.

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

If that's how you feel about it you are welcome to that, but from my perspective I think anyone should be allowed to lie about their gender, or rather than say lie, I don't think anyone has a right to demand to know your gender.

It's not a question of "rights." Mitsuki has obviously not committed a literal crime. What she's done is (a) deliberately misled another person (b) in a way she knew, or should've known, would cause them great pain if they found out (as we saw happen in this very chapter) (c) purely in order to preserve this pseudo-friendship pseudo-romance thing she had going on with her. What precise information Aya had a "right" to know about is irrelevant. Mitsuki hurt her. She did a mean thing. She should apologize! (And I'm sure she will.) And that's all I have to say about this.

Aya was hurt, but that doesn't mean someone is at fault. People can be in pain without there being an offending party. Mitsuki probably will apologize, but that doesn't mean that she was at fault.

I can't help but read this scenario and just picture any other identity issue being replaced here and it reading completely differently to people. This is literally the plot of School Ties only Brendan Fraser isn't hiding his gender but hiding his religion from people that hate his religion.

joined Aug 25, 2022

I came here hoping to find discussions about the place we're at in the story, but once again I find only discourse... why can't we have a normal comments section...

joined Jan 14, 2020

why can't we have a normal comments section...

You must be new to the Internet.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Or Dynasty

joined Aug 29, 2019

Or Dynasty

Well I'd say this is quite egregious, even by Dynasty standards. I mean, we have 18 chapters with four pages each and 1700 posts in the thread. That's 94,4 posts per chapter (I've been waiting for this number to exceed 100 for a while now...), 23 posts for each page of manga.
Crazy, I tell you, crazy.

And I don't even get why "is lying about your gender bad" is the issue here. True, there is the concept of a "lie by omission", especially when a misunderstanding is allowed to persist once it's become apparent, but I'd argue that in cases like this, where it's a rather innocent misunderstanding rather than a deliberate attempt to mislead, it should be a non-issue. It's as white a lie as you'll ever get.
Mitsuki isn't "trying to mislead Aya". She's just too timid to come clean, and there's little harm in it, too. As with all supposed thought and speech crime, intent (where discernible) should matter.
It's not like she's trying to get in bed with Aya by deceiving her, that'd be a different story.

This may be a bit of a stretch, but compare the situation to something that's actually legally relevant.
There is crime by omission, at least where I live. If you see a person in danger, you're obliged to help as long as it is within your abilities and doesn't put you in danger yourself. That's for life and death situations, where the stakes are rather high. Thing is: This conversely means that if you convincingly (i.e. convincingly for others, not just deceiving yourself) see yourself unable to help, you're not obliged to. If you get nausea let alone pass out at the sight of blood, you'll be more easily excused for not providing first aid when someone else could easily have done so.
Looping back to the manga: Mitsuki currently sees herself as unable to fix the situation because she's timid, socially awkward and afraid of backlash.

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

I came here hoping to find discussions about the place we're at in the story, but once again I find only discourse... why can't we have a normal comments section...

There's always reddit. This manga is popular there as well if you want chapter by chapter discussions.

last edited at Aug 25, 2022 3:49PM

To reply you must either login or sign up.