Forum › The Two of Them Are Pretty Much Like This discussion

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Wanko's concern appears to be FOR Kita-kun becoming the TARGET of transphobia.

If that were the case, why does she say "things could turn violent if YOU let your guard down", and more significantly why does she look reflexively enraged when Kita shows up? If her primary motivator was concern FOR Kita, she wouldn't have that rage face...

"Let your guard down" as in giving her old clothes to Kita without considering the consequences. Elly seems to regard it as no big deal (a very pleasant, refreshing attitude, to be sure), while Wanko understands that there are dangers for Kita, especially if Elly is incautious and handles things too openly.

That, and (until next chapter at the earliest) Kita hasn't yet told Sakuma what decision they've reached regarding their gender identity and how they want to approach it, so just handing them a skirt might be somewhat inappropriate regardless.

Smallrat
joined Feb 14, 2022

Well I can't read Japanese so I can't get into the nuances of the original text, so I guess I have nothing more to say on which interpretation is right. But, wacky aside: On page 5 i think there's a joke that somehow went over my head, with Wanko saying "things could get violent", and then her being the one "getting violent" two panels later (with the intensity of her reaction making Sakuma say "Whoa").

last edited at Feb 14, 2022 4:45PM

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

To me the chapter just reads like standard anime/manga fare, not in any sort of bad way. "Teen boys are always horny!" - that's why you got all the constant crap like panty stealing and sniffing and peeping and whatnot and the excuse is always "boys will be boys". Heck, there's the entire thing about washing clothes separately for unfathomable reasons (I mean, sharing bath water is fine ...).

So Wanko's just the status quo position (and I'd further say the whole 油断 - that's seems to me to be often used "around men", have your guard/defense up, don't be vulnerable; they are all wolves, and perverts, and rapists, they'll devour you if you are careless for a second ... others will better judge this but I feel it's more likely that it would have been phrased differently if it wasn't meant that way), and Elly goes "doesn't apply here because trans/girls (so not a boy and not dangerous)", only to then have that "oh wait, that's not necessarily meaning anything now that I think about it" moment.

But, eh. Whatever.

Smol%20icon
joined Jul 15, 2016

Mm, based on the original line in Japanese, it does seem like she's expressing concern for Kita potentially facing consequences for wearing a skirt. It helps also that she said "putting that aside..." in the previous page, which probably refers to the whole "forget about me being slightly jealous."

Also that angry face she made at the bottom of the face murdered me. I don't think I've ever seen an expression like that throughout any Ikeda Takashi's work, it seriously cracked me up!

Oh I also feel like I should add...the whole thing about "boys will be boys and filthy perverts lol!!" may be true for manga as a whole, but for this author in particular, who handled characters like Akemiya with sensitivity (uh, well, mostly...it got better, okay!), I don't think she'd make her characters transphobic.

last edited at Feb 14, 2022 9:16PM

00157780.0001b
joined Nov 22, 2021

SAKUMA YES
HELP THIS BABY PLEASE

last edited at Feb 15, 2022 10:16AM

joined Sep 13, 2018

Yeah honestly folks gotta keep in mind Elly doesn't quite know how to navigate stuff and she wants to be helpful while afaik Wanko knows Kita just likes crossdressing and also easily made jealous. I'm not sure exactly the full translation of stuff, but the japanese text plus some other comments make me not super concerned. At worst, Wanko is being dumb and doesn't know all the details, and I trust this to work out with Wanko hopefully learning given Takashi's handles trans stuff loads better than a lot of works have imho. At best? She's looking out for this random kid facing consequences for owning a skirt, being a dumb jealous dweeb (Notably after being concerned over Ataru and all), and will probably learn to be better.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-02-19/the-two-of-them-are-pretty-much-like-this-yuri-manga-ends-in-next-chapter/.182760 very sad news everyone :((( and so sudden too, I don't get it... Is because they're both in big jobs now so there's nothing else to do?

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

That is indeed very surprising. Seemed to be in the middle of some character / "plot" development still.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I've been very fond of these characters, but I've never had a strong sense of what the series overall wanted to be. I haven't re-read the whole thing very recently, so my memory could be off, but it seemed to start out (IIRC) as very episodic slice of life, with fluffy, cozy, relatively unconnected scenes, and with their professional lives as a fairly vague undercurrent to their daily interactions.

Then later it seemed to want to have more defined story arcs with more added characters, but didn't really stick with any of them very long or develop them very fully. I haven't seen that as a major problem, because there was still plenty of cuteness on hand, and I've continued to enjoy reading the story. But I wouldn't say that, to me anyway, it was a series with much momentum in any particular direction.

OrangePekoe Admin
Animesher.com_tamako-market-midori-tokiwa-deviantart-950416a
joined Mar 20, 2013

Serenata posted:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-02-19/the-two-of-them-are-pretty-much-like-this-yuri-manga-ends-in-next-chapter/.182760 very sad news everyone :((( and so sudden too, I don't get it... Is because they're both in big jobs now so there's nothing else to do?

Saddest sudden ending since Stretch...

Screenshot%202024-01-18%20181127
joined Jun 21, 2021

My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined D:

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Maybe the sleepy marriage proposal was like a ... climax of short? or the author got busy with something else, I want to believe the second, can't accept if it was an axe, author would get noticed weeks or months before.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Maybe the sleepy marriage proposal was like a ... climax of short? or the author got busy with something else, I want to believe the second, can't accept if it was an axe, author would get noticed weeks or months before.

Regular romance ends with getting together, so manga where they're already together ends with marriage? Makes sense in a way, although considering the kind of story this has been, it really wouldn't change that much. And there are still so many plot lines open...

And yes, it would certainly be nice to see a new major work from the author. The bite-size episodes here have been nice, but I'd definitely welcome a new story with full length chapters.

joined Sep 13, 2018

that's so... depressing? it feels like we've got a lot of stuff still unresolved too like ataru and wanko's one coworker in the fake yuri deal? or hell we're just getting more kita content. :(

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

I guess if you look at it from the way the series is titled, everyone's arcs have "pretty much" been resolved in their own ways. (ie. Ataru's got her feelings off her chest, Kita's figured out who they want to be, and Kyouko and Mirei's relationship just kinda be like that.)

But yeah, I'd be lying if I didn't feel the sting of seeing 次回, 最終回 while translating ch103.

0003_proc
joined Jul 21, 2019

Not like this...

Gyerin200
joined Sep 6, 2011

My fucking god...

Worst ending ever. No word about the other relationships or secondary characters.

joined Jul 15, 2021

What?!
End?!
END?!
WHAT??????

ザワールド
92165446-8f95-4f03-88c5-7d78fb208740
joined Dec 25, 2021

What the fuck its over?

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

It's not the worst ending, just incredibly boring... plain and sudden, I will remember this series with love, but I'm sure to forget the ending, pick any random chapter and it's going to be more memorable than this.

ioorunderscore
joined Dec 28, 2021

Chotto-fucking-matte. What do you mean END?

Oh well. Nothing beats home, I guess.

Prettygirlsmall
joined Jul 4, 2021

There's a noticeable absence from those montage panels, right? I'm not the only one who's (not) seeing that? Given how much screen time they got recently.

X2(edited)2
joined Jan 2, 2022

Something must have happened. I thought the natural ending would be Wanko getting to star in something that Elly wrote. This just feels random.

Smol%20dankkonata
joined Oct 10, 2018

Um rushed ending much? What the heck??? Where's the having children and getting married part, where's the resolving ongoing sidestories part... Was it really just the author who decided to call it quits here?

Ayayayahuasca
370f6e22d5477fb96887976c3c5039f4410b136d
joined Oct 19, 2020

What just happened?

To reply you must either login or sign up.