Forum › Making Progress on Yuri Before the Deadline discussion

1paf9r7jlqo71
joined Aug 15, 2021

Everybody’s ignoring the fairly obvious plot function of that scene where Dickhead-kun gets punched: to establish Chekhov’s Martial Arts Ability, which will no doubt come in handy as the MCs eventually develop their relationship outside of the house.

And the guy did explain himself by calling her “pitiful”—that’s why he got punched.

I pity her too, she just got backstabbed in front of her peers by her close friends, do I deserve to get punched? Assuming "pitiful" is referring to her being a lesbian is super rash, and is comparable to a high schooler whose brain isn't fully formed yet, who also going through a pretty stressful situation, so with that in mind I feel like I was too harsh on her, but still, he objectively did nothing wrong.

If your pride is that fragile that being called pitiful is a justified reason for socking someone then that's pretty weird, I feel like I'm taking your comment the wrong way though, my bad if I am, not a native English speaker.

last edited at Dec 20, 2021 1:22AM

1paf9r7jlqo71
joined Aug 15, 2021

Well, for me it's obvious that the author wanted to paint him as someone who's trying to do good but with the wrong moral or sense of superiority, that ends making things worst for her, had she accepted his help, is like accepting that she's in the wrong, or abnormal.

If you try to imagine the situation with her not being lesbian but something else with prejudices attached by the most ignorant people, you could see how bad that really was, I won't make a direct comparison because that breaks the rules of the site.

Is true, there was no right way out of there once her secret was exposed with ill intentions, the author wanted to show the hypocrisy of the classroom (or society...........yes we live in one), that even if she were presented in a different light (without the sexual harassment allegations), it wouldn't end well on the long run.

I don't think she made a mistake, she was too innocent to know.

To be fair, assault is a crime.

Ithink%20small
joined Aug 13, 2015

It’s been over a month and no Chapter 3 or more… Sad however I will wait for that’s all we can do. I love the premise of this story and haven’t seen a go at it like this for a long time. Makes the ready grounded into the story of the reality she faces and how she challenges and makes it her own. Wanting to make her own path and not be bullied for who she likes and be judged for it. I want to see this as an anime like ‘Bloom Into You’. ^ ͜ ^

Makasete
joined Sep 21, 2016

The chapters are long and detailed, waiting is normal! I'm really looking forward to more.

DaSupremeXtream
Yatsude%202-min
joined Jul 11, 2019

New Chapter!

joined Jun 24, 2020

Need more blob Ayu

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Brainwashing Progress ... 97 % ...98...99%.... /Connection Error/ The Brainwashing Has Been Cancelled, the program does not have permission to execute

last edited at Jan 18, 2022 5:54PM

Reimari2%20-%20crop
joined Sep 7, 2016

MC already moved away from homophobic peeps, I wonder if Angst tag will stay for the whole ser-

C A P I T A L I S M

...never mind XD

joined May 1, 2015

Nice, I was just thinking about this.
Thanks for the update

joined May 24, 2014

Living is working, huh?

joined Aug 29, 2019

Where does this series want to go? 90% Slice of Life I guess?
Not sure if it'll manage to string me along perpetually, but at least for now it's entertaining.

last edited at Jan 18, 2022 7:20PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Living is working, huh?

Well, we’ve seen enough stories about quasi-hikikomori mangaka whose work blossoms when they finally get out of the house and experience life that even I was buying her shtick a little bit at first.

I called bullshit in my head before Ayu did, though.

joined Jul 30, 2020

Where does this series want to go? 90% Slice of Life I guess?

From what's been translated of the LN so far, It's been that way.

Adashima
joined Sep 3, 2018

10/10 blobifying

Kiarabg
joined Sep 6, 2018

It has been quite a while since I read a yuri manga that honestly and succinctly addressed the issues LGBT members face in a conservative and patriarchical society like Japan…

As for the story itself, it is the perfect fantasy yuri set-up with a high school lesbian moving to a new place with a beautiful woman who could immediately be her love interest, where everything is convenient and falls into place. But the way this set-up is completely subverted right out the gate is done so well.

This entire comment is exactly what I was looking for. This manga is, at the moment, breaking new ground and setting up to be something very special.

I can’t imagine how people would think this story is cliche. Three chapters has been enough to demonstrate that “effectively homeless gay highschool girl” is not just a window dressing, it and everything it entails is being treated seriously, and if the rest of the setting is (arguably) fantastical, this part absolutely feels realistic, and that makes all the difference. It’s like saying Madoka or Evangelion are just a mess of genre-standard tropes, or that the romance in the new She-Ra is old hat, predictable stuff. We can see that’s obviously false because of what it does to those conventions, the places where it refuses to suspend disbelief or tells a romance story that does not get to be told in popular media—all those things create new, very different stories out of the trappings we’re used to.

This story is directly challenging the established yuri convention of women in love with women who are very carefully made not gay, and all the effort that typically goes into avoiding any societal commentary. Call it escapist fantasy, call it squeamish, I’ve been getting pretty frustrated with Japanese yuri lately because of how it feels like there’s this layer of film separating it from reality. A lot of the Chinese and Korean modern-setting yuri has this more grounded sense of reality and verisimilitude, because the gay women are fucking gay, whether they’re on lesbian internet communities, have read shit like Citrus and make references to it, talk about the dangers of falling for straight girls, or literally just use the word lesbian at all, ever, at any point in their series.

Nearly all Japanese yuri series I’ve read on this site seem to exist in a world where there is zero queer community, zero place for self-identification as someone who is attracted to women—where all the trappings of a heteronormative society exist, like comparing one’s love interest to boys or a presented scarcity of female/female couples, or where characters start out unaware that women can even be together. You know who doesn’t do that? Still Sick, So do you want to go out or…?, and Even if it was just once, and do you know what else they have in common? They fucking slap, first off, but also they are innovative and soulful, and I still think about them months or years after I’ve been reading them.

I’m hype as fuck for this manga, and if you’re not, that’s cool, but I’m not hearing it when people start talking this “clichéd” shit like it’s not brave as hell for the artist to defy genre conventions so starkly and bring up real societal ills that seemingly nobody else will speak to. We can never know how a series will go ahead of time but so far the author has demonstrated a commitment to respecting the scenario and talking real shit with us about queerness and homophobia, and I’m here for it.

Violetpfp
joined Aug 12, 2021

the aaaaaaaaaaaaangst tag will probably be there as long as mc decides to hide her lesbianism

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

It feels to me like miss mangaka kinda knows the kid she took in is gay, otherwise why would she lean in like that for the brain washing

Yurikosmaller2
joined May 28, 2011

so close...

joined Jun 8, 2020

zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Reading through the Dynasty forum posts is always... quite a... something. It's good and bad honestly. Shame I didn't find this sooner.

I am boggled by the camp of people who found the first chapter cliche. So what other titles did they read that also have this same premise? I want to see and dissect those stories with my limited repertoire of tools. I am quite invested in the first chapter because wow, that classroom bullshit, that is any student's worst nightmares unless they have the mental fortitude of a very very well developed adult. And frankly, it's going to take a lot of charisma and good communications skills to dig yourself out of that social hot mess to the point that it seems even less probable. The dude that got punched? Look, I don't get good vibes when people call anything 'pitiful.' Beyond saying 'pitiful,' were anything done after that to address the problem? No? Then it was all just lip service designed for whoever said them to feel good about themselves. Granted dude was decked in the face shortly after, so we could say all this -should've would've- been different. And none of that really matters becauseeeeee the girl is still going to get ostracized. The school would penalize her because lol Japanese school system despite the class just covering a lesson on LGBT before the incident. Which is just a thing to cover the school's butt rather than to seriously educate or consider any students who might actually be LGBT. Considering Ayu was suspended two weeks from school where she barely remember anything around that, I have to make the assumption that no educator of any kind attempt to address what Ayu went through. My guess was she was punished for punching the dude and making a scene rather than addressing what led to that step. The school and her own parents tried to sweep her personal 'issues' under the rug because she was different from the perceived norms. My own family do it all the time when I behave out of their expected reality: except mine was a case of extroverts vs introverts usually. "It's YOUR problem, not our problem. Therefore YOU should change" sort of thing. That's hardly out of the ordinary, that can and still happen. Saying it's unrealistic just means the speaker is from a very fortunate background and never had to experience the fuckeries of this shitty world we live in. You are lucky, but please expand your world view more.

The first chapter felt more like a jab at the general populace's potential reactions if they were to find out that their daughter/son/classmate/whatever is actually LGBT+. See here: https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/making_progress_on_yuri_before_the_deadline_ch01#17. It's almost irrelevant how all the specifics for the classroom scenario played out. All of that buildup is to draw readers in, putting themselves in Ayu's shoes if the scenario is working as intended. It's the result that mattered. The inciting incident is precisely because there was a lesson that talks about LGBT+. So Ayu had the naïve assumption that this might be a good opportunity to come out to the backstabbing bitches. Which eventually led to the hot mess that got her out of that backwater shithole and to Tokyo.

So this is a slight tangent, but back in high school my classroom was doing a talk on psychology and fears. The topic was mainly if you would do x for a very large sum of money. Some classmates were ok with being naked on the street for the money. I would chicken out everything. The one thing that nobody would go for was "if you would move to a foreign place and break off contact with everything from your past life." Nobody went for that. The fear was too great. I am bringing up this tangent because by golly, this is a really rough situation to be in. There are virtually no other options left except to flee to a foreign place with basically the burning fire in your stomach and whatever else that propelled you. That shit can fizzle out really fast. For us it's literally in the blink of an eye, but if you put yourself in Ayu's shoes you will need to go through all these boring, annoying steps of getting from point A to B. There's a lot of thinking time and other things in between to douse that fire. It's not a casual romp to the local supermarket, it's a journey with a grim and possibly hopeless purpose. It takes a lot of determination and gust for her to actually arrive at Tokyo. That's really commendable. I am almost sad that it was glossed over like that but it's a manga, first chapter, the author didn't intend it to be so angst driven at the start, etc. So I won't hold it against them. I had gone through similar process before and whatever mental trainwreck was occurring in my brain was not pretty. This shit hit way too close to home for me.

Chapter 3's Input... There are some very valid points, I am also incredibly input driven (to the point that it annoys me).... But please don't bullshit Ayu if you are trying to slack. Good on Ayu to check in with Miya.

This series seems really solid. If possible I would like to check out the original novel... If I can actually read Japanese or find Chinese translations...

joined Jan 14, 2020

Living is working, huh?

Well, we’ve seen enough stories about quasi-hikikomori mangaka whose work blossoms when they finally get out of the house and experience life that even I was buying her shtick a little bit at first.

I don't think it's entirely bullshit; Kairou is right about having diverse inputs and downtime. Creativity often comes at off-moments, like in the shower or waking up, not from forcing yourself.

That said, Miya's anger probably means Kairou slides past "playing around healthily" to "just goofing off."

Untitled315
joined Mar 30, 2021

Brainwash completed,but still failed

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Living is working, huh?

I don't think it's entirely bullshit; Kairou is right about having diverse inputs and downtime. Creativity often comes at off-moments, like in the shower or waking up, not from forcing yourself.

That said, Miya's anger probably means Kairou slides past "playing around healthily" to "just goofing off."

That’s the entire point—life experience is needed to be creative, but doing anything you want doesn’t always count as “working.”

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

So close... Brainwashing almost complete, but averted at the last moment. :D

Kimika3
joined Jan 1, 2019

So this is a slight tangent, but back in high school my classroom was doing a talk on psychology and fears. The topic was mainly if you would do x for a very large sum of money. Some classmates were ok with being naked on the street for the money. I would chicken out everything. The one thing that nobody would go for was "if you would move to a foreign place and break off contact with everything from your past life." Nobody went for that.

While shunning is a tried and true technique of cults and religions around the world there's no shortage of kids moving to New York, Tokyo, London, etc. with the hope of never going back. It really depends on where (and how) you grow up.

Sort of mixed on the series otherwise though. At least she didn't end up a gutter punk I guess?

To reply you must either login or sign up.