Forum › Posts by Linterdiction

Linterdiction
Image Comments 27 Oct 04:50
joined Sep 6, 2018
Eldydrkxeauk9vt-orig

^There's also this mix of watching an anime girl streaming, and moments where the character and the person mix, or you get to see their real feelings about things, things they've struggled with, how they're achieving their dreams or finding community in this new setting. A lot of VTubers have really had it rough.

Linterdiction
Image Comments 27 Oct 03:31
joined Sep 6, 2018
Ek0xcqbuyaayhyh-orig

Bro Jean’s character design is like my absolute “lady knight” strike range, I want to roll her so baddd.

Linterdiction
Image Comments 27 Oct 03:21
joined Sep 6, 2018
Ek1rzravmaabccq-orig

^^^ “‘I’m not friendzoned, I’m not friendzoned’ I continue to insist as I shrink into a corncob.”

Linterdiction
Image Comments 27 Oct 03:09
joined Sep 6, 2018
Ek3ppmsuuai-osa-orig

^Kiara’s still recovering.

Something something, “modern-day lovers really must hate fun / more often people toppin’ wives rockin’ smiles and sun / the real chicken connoisseur—our own pink-hair goth belle / got busines luring her audience into tsundere hell / but to no surprise Hololive’s Mori-eyed Kinshi / five-time winner of “Calli Please Come and Kill Me” / Vied to embrace her, can’t stop the bae, girl / Gay thirst a rising tide, so who’ll break first? / Phoenix feathers on the floor there, I see you / jealous sounds vented off-stream meant to free you / “I hate it” now that’s just a little pretense / a bit of defense / but that shit is all show, no doubt, hollow and spent, / Don’t mean nada cause the tension’s getting hotter / Time’s an immaterial matter so the lady bird’ll preen / playin’ chess to take a queen / “here’s your challenge, can you top it?” no more fleein’ the scene / it’s like that.

Ah fuck, I can’t believe I spent hours on a whim writing an image comment that nobody will ever see.

last edited at Oct 27, 2020 3:33AM

Linterdiction
Image Comments 27 Oct 01:42
joined Sep 6, 2018
Breakfastb-704700-hipdadaist

Reminds me of the Joy scene from Bayonetta.

Linterdiction
Image Comments 27 Oct 01:41
joined Sep 6, 2018
Eldydrkxeauk9vt-orig

What am I gonna do while Calli is moving and there’s no more income of Takamori material?? Oh geez, it’s gonna be a tough week.

Linterdiction
joined Sep 6, 2018

In the most obvious twist of all time, the loli will actually be a century old, meaning that Shannon will have to deal with both an annoying kid and a batty old lady, which is... a pretty accurate description of the people you end up interacting with during volunteer duty for local churches. Huh. This manga's pretty realistic after all.

She's definitely sus. But IDK, this story is not afraid of cliche stuff but also not that predictable. It seems to be focusing a lot on relatively young people who are carrying huge amounts of twisted feelings/frameworks and weight, so I could see her either being the age she looks or just "young for her age" like Nui from KLK. She's deffo gonna be pretty scary though.

joined Sep 6, 2018

Naru

text

last edited at Oct 26, 2020 3:27PM

Linterdiction
joined Sep 6, 2018

I really like the way the arrows display different kinds of love, and how MC’s trauma (plus this ESP) is making her try to manage everyone’s emotions. This is a really cool concept, and well-executed, too.

People are talking about it being infinitely long, or unsatisfying, and IDK if I see that yet. We’ve seen some change and development, and it could either be setting up a like-this-forever scenario, or the story could all have these twists and turns. The fainting thing after the confession, and Sayo’s reaction to it, could either be a bullshit plot extender or evidence of the author’s willingness to deal with complicated emotions. It could split wither way, and I can’t tell right now. The thoughtfulness about MC’s predicament and different types of love makes me cautiously optimistic for the latter.

Linterdiction
joined Sep 6, 2018

“I want to be haunted by a sex ghost!!”

Linterdiction
Image Comments 24 Oct 06:54
joined Sep 6, 2018
Ekn3vgdu8aajrmj-orig%20(1)

Crossick is god

Linterdiction
joined Sep 6, 2018

If the boob press and kabedon combo becomes more common, can we get an Oppaidon tag?

We can just Big Breasts and Kabedon

no. no Big Breasts. no Kabedon. only Oppaidon.

last edited at Oct 24, 2020 1:49AM

Linterdiction
joined Sep 6, 2018

All this arguing just boils down to whether or not the ending to this manga justifies what it asks its readers to sit through. Personally, I think the ending is downright horrible because it fails to resolve its central conflict in service of following multiple unrelated subplots... all of which the story also fails to resolve in a competent manner. While I won't rag on anyone for liking this story, this one really fell flat on its face with how it ended, just from a storytelling standpoint. How stories end are very important. The author is expected to tie up any and all loose ends that they've created, but this final chapter has failed on that front in an honestly spectacular fashion. Any claim to the contrary is willful denial of the facts.

Agreed 120% I couldn't have said it better. It's a shame because it was a rather original topic and could've been really interesting.

(okay I know the comment I'm about to drop is long AF but I promise I am saying something)

For me the sad part is that it was original and interesting. The first few chapters were really cool and emotional, and the fact that things started to very slowly move seemed evidence the author knew what they were doing and were moving the story in a very realistic, believable way toward something really special. You wanted to go through the emotional pain to reach that. And uhhh, what was promised was not delivered, four years later.

Okay so this next part may be a little extra, but I think it goes beyond disappointing. Sometimes we are willing to read stories about situations that are traumatic to us so that when we reach the end, and it lands well, ultimately, we can process our trauma and feel seen and healed. For me Watamote was like that--so, so, fucking hard to push through, but worth it in the end.

Now I feel like unrequited love and being strung along are especially sensitive, common traumas in the wlw community. And in the yuri-reading community, many of us "aren't wlw" but yearn for the relationships we see displayed and think we can never have--and later turn out to be trans, so the idea of an impossible love that sits on the horizon grabs onto a lot of baggage there as well. Basically, a lot of people demographically who would be reading this might have trauma that is evoked by its main scenario.

So, I think ultimately the reason people are so upset is not just because this was a promising story that ended poorly, but because it led us out into the woods and then left us there. I think people are receiving this ending as a personal betrayal, and on some level they're right.

last edited at Oct 24, 2020 1:45AM

Linterdiction
Image Comments 23 Oct 23:46
joined Sep 6, 2018
Ektcpqhuuaimce8

Hnnng my absolute soulllll.

They need to collab together again soon to restore my takamori nutrients.

Linterdiction
Image Comments 23 Oct 23:44
joined Sep 6, 2018
Ek1rzravmaabccq-orig

Hearing out-of-character Kiara get really excited (and maybe crying?) when she heard Calli considers her a “best friend” was so heartwarming.

last edited at Oct 24, 2020 1:27AM

joined Sep 6, 2018

I absolutely love the MC, she totally has Malori vibes (Mage and Demon Queen)

Linterdiction
joined Sep 6, 2018

Obviously Shiine’s love is genuine, she’s constantly trying to better herself for Ichika and put Ichika’s needs before her own, but I find it interesting that it’s portrayed more as a physical attraction rather than an emotional connection.

Maybe I’m just reading too deep into it

Actually, I think you’re really on to something. I think they’re not understanding their feelings well, because they went from friends to “friends who kiss” (and do a lot more... hoo boy ch. 6.5), so there’s a very physical element to their relationship, and that’s within the bounds of what they feel “allowed” to have. They both have a deep affection, a love even, for one another as well, but there’s a combination of not understanding that’s what’s up and a perceived boundary within their connection that precludes such feelings, which is I think why they don’t face them head-on.

Linterdiction
joined Sep 6, 2018

Wow what a complete waste of time I spent reading this for the past 4 years.

The fact that the last page says "Thank you all for reading these past four years!!" simultaneously angers me and makes me want to laugh. The absolute audacity of acknowledging how long the author's kept us on tenterhooks, when this is that final resolution, I feels like tMnR just stole my lunch money.

Linterdiction
Age 15 discussion 22 Oct 17:49
joined Sep 6, 2018

I think I see this story as one that’s gripping, messy, and hard to pin down, which is really engaging in its moment-to-moment beats, but it can’t hold longer-range ideas or structures so it doesn’t really do anything beyond that. I think there is room for such stories, though.

Linterdiction
Age 15 discussion 22 Oct 17:47
joined Sep 6, 2018

With that in mind, maybe the story’s directionless, un-trackable quality is a product of making a story like a messy situation in life, where things just happen and you can’t get enough perspective to parse and track them. I don’t know if that was really successfully achieved; I don’t think the author knew really how to get out of the mess they’d made and reach the desired final position, hence the ending being rushed.

Another point against intentionally-constructed chaos—I feel like we were supposed to understand something about Miku (and especially Yoshino) that never coalesced. They felt at time like animated plot points, doing things that messed with Anna or Ema without a really convincing motivating factor beyond what would make the story more messy. Their unexplainable pivot at the end into a relationship with one another further broke any sense of them as people—they were like tools or puppets being shuffled away so the ending could happen.

And lastly, there seems to be a patchwork character arc with Anna viewing herself as becoming corrupted that A) didn’t make emotional sense to me because we got little to no background on it—it seemed to come out of nowhere, and the beliefs that led to it were never mentioned or addressed (are we supposed to believe sexual attraction between women is this?) and B) was sort of unexplored and went unmentioned except as something that would make her be messy in her relationships. When she said she “didn’t want to dirty Ema-san” I was like, “literally what the fuck are you talking about.”

Speaking of Ema—who is she??? What are we supposed to think about her? What is her personality supposed to be? I actually still don’t know. Normally I’m pretty much aight with age stuff happening in manga because it’s usually just a coloring element of the story, but here we don’t know enough for me to form an opinion. They didn’t settle into the, “this is pure and wholesome, the fact that Anna is a dependent is just part of the moe” nor “this is fukt and we have to address that” nor “the younger one is super mature, and the older is immature, so they actually match,”—it was just this sort if morass where things clearly weren’t being addressed with realism, but we also weren’t being told how to understand them in this fictional context either. Which, together with the messiness, left me feeling kind of icky.

Linterdiction
Age 15 discussion 22 Oct 17:29
joined Sep 6, 2018

i feel like this manga was trying to be deep, and say something profound, but never really said anything at all

Yeah. The author’s writing really made you want to know how things would turn out, but it doesn’t feel like they understood people and emotions well enough for readers to really draw a line or a takeaway from what was going on. It sort of feels like, “a bunch of stuff that happened,” and it can’t really be tracked.

On the other hand, the stuff the girl at their new school said about yuri and the response about rafflesia (the intense-smelling “corpse flower”) kinda stuck with me. I think the story could be read as saying, “love between women is not necessarily heathy or pure. It can be messy, lustful, sticky, unhealthy, resolved, etc. and it doesn’t always make a nice pretty story.” In that sense I can kinda see it as criticizing and breaking this frozen image of yuri and its relationship to actually WLW relationships.

With that in mind, maybe the story’s directionless, un-trackable quality is a product of making a story like a messy situation in life, where things just happen and you can’t get enough perspective to parse and track them. I don’t know if that was really successfully achieved; I don’t think the author knew really how to get out of the mess they’d made and reach the desired final position, hence the ending being rushed.

Linterdiction
joined Sep 6, 2018

What an ending, it took a lot of chutzpah to write something like that after putting fans through the whole rest of the story.

This chapter deserves a bruh moment tag

Linterdiction
joined Sep 6, 2018

I absolutely agree. I also love [CRITICAL SPOILERS]

You have to use two of == to black out the text, if that was your intention.

I am the fucking dumb. I specifically went and read the format post and then messed this up. It is now fixed.

last edited at Oct 22, 2020 3:53AM

Linterdiction
joined Sep 6, 2018

That was hot as fuck. Asuka has unlimited power bottom energy. I need to sit down after that.

biting is also objectively the best peripheral tag, and if you disagree you need to take a second and imagine someone leaving visible teeth marks on you so that you realize you actually agree.

Linterdiction
joined Sep 6, 2018

I started reading the webnovel for the yuri, but Rei was what really made it work for me. Her relationship with Claire is fine- nothing groundbreaking, typical long-term reward fluffy tsundere conquering- but I feel like the webnovel's best parts are when Rei just takes some time to sit down and introspect about class politics, social norms and her own identity within a new world. The author could've just written a 100% yuri version of Bakarina and the fans would've lapped it up, but there's so much more that this story has to offer. It's very willing to examine its own tropes and talk about real-world issues both within and beyond the lens of a fantasy setting, and Rei is honestly one of the best takes on your standard otome isekai protagonist I've ever seen (and not just because she's gay). I'm loving the manga so far, and I hope it doesn't cut out the more introspective and personal sections like so many LN adaptations often do.

I absolutely agree. I also love [CRITICAL SPOILERS] the places where genre is broken, and Rei gets called the fuck out for acting like an anime character/gag character to hide her feelings. Their relationship is largely unsatisfying, but the LN as a whole feels like a breath of fresh air, stepping outside of typical Japanese media frameworks and genre tropes to hit you with some insightful realness. [vague-allusion-to-future-event spoiler] They touch on trans people!! In a good and positive way!!! I was like, "holy shit this is crazy, I didn't expect that at all!"

Everybody who likes this at all should for sure read/buy the WN/LN. It's really good, not just as a yuri fan, and it has an awareness that I would describe as queer and up to date, not just a yuri-genre thing.

last edited at Oct 22, 2020 3:52AM