Forum › Making Progress on Yuri Before the Deadline discussion

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I was kinda interested in this comic until I saw the MC attack someone for "pitying" her.

Violence aside, announcing to the class, "She's so pitiful!" is not the same as actually demonstrating sympathy for her.

But sure, as a guidebook to optimal ethical human social interaction, this series definitely fails.

Ihstarresi
joined Jun 22, 2018

I get her sentiment.
Being a target of hate is horrible, but being pitied really diminishes your value as a person... a lesser being, only existing to be target for people's superficial sympathy, something that effectively does nothing else than raise themselves up in light of what this pitiful human is like. It's dehumanising in a way that being hated not necessarily is (but can be, ofc). Though I'm sure a lot of people won't think the same.
I for one think it's rad as shit that she just went sicko and declared war on the whole world in that moment

Licentious Lantern
Lantern%202
joined Sep 17, 2021

I was kinda interested in this comic until I saw the MC attack someone for "pitying" her.

Violence aside, announcing to the class, "She's so pitiful!" is not the same as actually demonstrating sympathy for her.

To add to that, it completely fails as a defense and as an empathetic response. He did not defend her from being bullied because he thought they were wrong about what they said, he merely had an averse reaction to her immediate show of suffering. Of course we have no way to look into that random boy's head, but there are far more negative reasons to pity someone than there are positive ones, especially in this situation.

Being treated as a defenselss child who doesnt know better hurts, but it is worse that most of the time this is done in order to get browny points for 'protecting' an outcast. It's quite common in this world. By putting the victim down even further he can prop himself up as a savior all the more with no detriment to his own standing as he didn't object to the core reason for the bullying.

The violent reaction was uncalled for, but it is understandable. Maybe she (and me) interpreted that boy's meaning wrong, but in such a volatile situation any negative reinforcement will cause backlash.

La duchesse de Pecquigny
joined Jun 7, 2021

I was kinda interested in this comic until I saw the MC attack someone for "pitying" her. The guy was trying to stop a group of bullies from badmouthing her and she assaulted him. No good deed goes unpunished, I guess.

You could almost suspect that she's a stressed, overemotional teenager who can barely tolerate being hated but absolutely can't stand being pitied. Crazy, huh?

Imagine there were teen kids like that, who lash out with violence when they feel horrible humiliation. Hah! As if! This manga is so unrealistic.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I was kinda interested in this comic until I saw the MC attack someone for "pitying" her. The guy was trying to stop a group of bullies from badmouthing her and she assaulted him. No good deed goes unpunished, I guess.

You could almost suspect that she's a stressed, overemotional teenager who can barely tolerate being hated but absolutely can't stand being pitied. Crazy, huh?

Imagine there were teen kids like that, who lash out with violence when they feel horrible humiliation. Hah! As if! This manga is so unrealistic.

I really do not get the impulse to criticize stories or to lecture fictional characters that fail to display the optimal, most mature, therapized, psychologically healthy, emotionally centered, and socially constructive behavior in every fictional situation.

It's like some people expect stories to be Human Resources training manuals rather than, you know, imaginary representations of characters dealing with, you know, conflicts.

Angryface
joined Mar 22, 2021

Wow that beginning gripped me so much. I was caught hook line and sinker thinking the friends would be good but omg they turned out so bad and the parents. Glad she's in a better place now. Though I really do hope this lasts a few volumes and so we can dive into this a bit more.

joined Dec 20, 2017

La duchessse de Pecquigny. Blastaar. Serious question: Why are you two being assholes with superiority complexes? If you think I'd said something wrong, instead of using sarcasm and false wit, perhaps you two should try using actual arguments against my statement. Of course, I don't expect that to happen. Being sarcastic is far easier to do because it is clear both of you prefer to take the path of least resistance and demonstrate how intellectually bankrupt you both are. Don't expect another reply from me (mostly because I don't know how to get updates on forums on this site). I'm done with this comic. And this site as a whole. Even if I do return, I doubt I'll see anything resembling a descend response. Because you two are incapable of giving one. And no, I'm not trolling or leaving bait. I'm just being blunt.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

La duchessse de Pecquigny. Blastaar. Serious question: Why are you two being assholes with superiority complexes? If you think I'd said something wrong, instead of using sarcasm and false wit, perhaps you two should try using actual arguments against my statement. Of course, I don't expect that to happen. Being sarcastic is far easier to do because it is clear both of you prefer to take the path of least resistance and demonstrate how intellectually bankrupt you both are. Don't expect another reply from me (mostly because I don't know how to get updates on forums on this site). I'm done with this comic. And this site as a whole. Even if I do return, I doubt I'll see anything resembling a descend response. Because you two are incapable of giving one. And no, I'm not trolling or leaving bait. I'm just being blunt.

I wasn’t being sarcastic in the least. I really am amazed at the pious lectures readers inflict on fictional characters, and the visceral negative responses elicited by any deviations from “proper” behavior, responses that are divorced from the specific context of any given story and from the conventions of fiction generally.

As to that business about “arguments,” nobody is going to argue that “punching people in the classroom in real life is always a good thing.” But the idea that the male classmate was “sticking up” for Shirokawa because “he’s a good guy” is a classic example of focusing on how people “should” behave while ignoring the context of the story and its mode of presentation.

joined Dec 13, 2018

This is a bad manga because she didn't get a larger killstreak before being stopped.

Eat%20ass
joined Aug 18, 2015

I can't believe how unrealistic this is!

A lesson about LGBT issues? Yeah right, pull my other leg why don't you?

joined Jul 21, 2020

La duchessse de Pecquigny. Blastaar. Serious question: Why are you two being assholes with superiority complexes?

I feel kind of offended as I was left out of the list of assholes with superiority complexes. Hey, MezzoDragon, I was the original replier, you know? This is pure discrimination, I'm telling you.

joined Dec 13, 2020

La duchessse de Pecquigny. Blastaar. Serious question: Why are you two being assholes with superiority complexes?

I feel kind of offended as I was left out of the list of assholes with superiority complexes. Hey, MezzoDragon, I was the original replier, you know? This is pure discrimination, I'm telling you.

Well then we can add discrimination to the record of reasons why that bloke should be banned.

last edited at Dec 7, 2021 9:38AM

Lol%20eiko
joined Mar 29, 2021

This is just the ordinary love story about how a lonely person became not alone.

For some reason, the way this statement in the description and at the end of chapter 2 is written so matter-of-factly cracks me up so much.

Series looks like an interesting mixing bowl of comedic moments between the lead interspersed with angsty moments when the protagonist realises their situation and inability to fully express themselves, which I assume is something that develops over time (like the author character being like "Surprise! I was actually joking about my joke earlier on", but hopefully it will deal with that with more elegance).

Otherwise for the chapter itself, interesting little tidbit of the author's philosophy revealed as desiring a simple life and a clear path. Even though it appears that they're a successful author, it seems they're lacking direction in life, which I'm guessing the plot moves in the direction of our protagonist providing that direction and meaning somehow.

Overall, so far, so good.

Butt
joined Sep 26, 2020

That's a pretty rude way to refer to your parents, Acchan.

Img_20190914_203449_543
joined Apr 14, 2020

Wow, just wow.
It has been long, the feeling of hooked to a story.
This manga is soo perfect for me T-T
I can't wait for the next chapter.
Thanks for translating

Img-thing
joined Jan 19, 2016

really nice setup and artstyle, i'm hyped for this story !

joined Nov 9, 2017

That's a pretty rude way to refer to your parents, Acchan.

Somehow I think her fictional bio-bigots can withstand a few choice words. Personally, I think parents like that should be publicly executed, to cut down on child abuse.

Of course, I'm willing to compromise, though. How about one parent executed and one just gets kneecapped every two years?

joined Nov 9, 2017

OMG PLEASE more more

(and also a relatable background! plus a great start to blast away the shitbros and whiny straight supremacists, they can never cope with this shit. but they'll link it all over, lol)

what a horribly grim manga, nobody deserves to have a hairstyle like that

ikr black hair was better

last edited at Dec 8, 2021 5:17AM by

Makasete
joined Sep 21, 2016

Oh I love this

Capture
joined Apr 16, 2020

As someone already said, the first chapter happening is quite rare in a Japanese yuri manga huh. This is nice. Let's see if author's gonna play up MC's defensiveness/insecurities more.

1paf9r7jlqo71
joined Aug 15, 2021

To be fair, the MC is a bit of wacko for just knocking out someone for saying they were pitiful, when they were in an objectively pitiful situation, that they knew was pitiful.

Hard to feel bad for them.

And I don't see the potential here, just feels like generic fetish art with a rushed story.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

To be fair, the MC is a bit of wacko for just knocking out someone for saying they were pitiful, when they were in an objectively pitiful situation, that they knew was pitiful.

And I don't see the potential here, just feels like generic fetish art with a rushed story.

If being a lesbian is "objectively pitiful" in your opinion, why are you even on this site?

Khancrop
joined Feb 18, 2013

Wow, good one-two start. I'm looking forward to them opening up to each other (poor Ayu, though...).

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

If being a lesbian is "objectively pitiful" in your opinion, why are you even on this site?

For that matter, isn’t “objectively pitiful” an oxymoron?

To reply you must either login or sign up.