Forum › I Favor the Villainess discussion

Eri
joined Aug 30, 2020

Just remember - choosing to ignore politics is in itself a political choice.
You cannot escape.

That said, this particular set is a little cliche, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's easy to relate to, even if we have an idea of where it's going to go in the story even without spoilers.

joined Jul 21, 2020

The commoners have the number.

When their situation get desperate enough, they have nothing to lose.

Nothing to lose but their chains. ☭

joined Dec 23, 2021

what does it mean the volume two is translated already? is the fan translation behind the official one?

Tongtong.exe
joined Apr 27, 2021

what does it mean the volume two is translated already? is the fan translation behind the official one?

Volume 2 just covers chapters 6-10, whilst volume 3 (currently only available in Japanese) covers chapters 11-15. The scanlation is up to date with the (I believe monthly) serialisation in Yuri Hime

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

I tried to think of something to comment, but since my need for yuri and my revolutionary positions happen to be conflicting here, I decided to just shut up and say that this was a good chapter and that I'm looking forward for more.

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

I just love that Rei doesn't care, I precisely read romance to escape IRL politics, so I hope she just keeps ignoring it.

Yea I'm also here for this. I understand Claire's position, she's a villain, and I understand Rei's position, she's a simp. I think it's genuinely funny (though I think we'll be seeing she's not actually ignoring it, and is trying to find a way for Claire to not get fucking beheaded)

You cannot escape.

I also agree 100%, but a forum about women holding hands prolly isn't the place to go hardcore about political science. I am finding the conversation around this part of the story fun though, all things told.

joined Jan 6, 2017

I just love that Rei doesn't care, I precisely read romance to escape IRL politics, so I hope she just keeps ignoring it.

Yea I'm also here for this. I understand Claire's position, she's a villain, and I understand Rei's position, she's a simp. I think it's genuinely funny (though I think we'll be seeing she's not actually ignoring it, and is trying to find a way for Claire to not get fucking beheaded)

If I recall (from the WN), it isn't even that much about Rei not caring about the revolution as it is her thinking it's not her place to interfere with her 21st century understanding of the world. Also she knows the future
(or more accurately, Rei's fine with things as they are but she does still have opinions about them. She just chooses not to express them)

Anime%20girl%20bong%20small
joined Jan 1, 2022

In the light novel it's more explicit that she's just holding her tongue here. If you're looking for an apolitical manga jump ship now lmao.

joined Oct 12, 2017

Me larping as a conservative during holiday gatherings with my republican family.

joined Jan 22, 2015

the artist also works on another isekai manga. its het though. has an mc that isekais to the same world while asleep and a elf girl. I thought their art looked familar.

Welcome to Japan, Ms Elf

Wait WHAT?!

Irene_&_teresa
joined Jun 12, 2019

Rei basically saying it's Claire or bust when explicitly asked about a movement that clearly benefits her was so boss. She could care less about politics and it's amazing, tho we all know she's planning something to keep Claire safe when s##t goes down but her chill responses on the movement itself are great, lol. What a surprisingly deep yuri this is turning out to be.

last edited at Jan 1, 2022 10:43PM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

Yuu turns out to be the smartest of them all.

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

You cannot escape.

I also agree 100%, but a forum about women holding hands prolly isn't the place to go hardcore about political science. I am finding the conversation around this part of the story fun though, all things told.

I have actually quite a few of very enlightening conversations about in-depth political theory on this very forum, and this particular manga, while not especially historical, does set up its political conflicts as an important background to the romance. In fact, class struggle seems to be shaping up as Rei's overarching antagonist in this story, as it directly threatens her love interest, irrespective of her own ideological views.

last edited at Jan 1, 2022 3:41PM

Claires Dad: and how do YOU feel about your people not really being free?????

Rei: as long as I’m free to be gay.

Lmao but how cute was Relaire sitting atop of her mommy Claire’s head <3 too adorable.

Wbb-polar%20(3)
joined Dec 12, 2021

i just love how the slime just stays on everyone's head lol

Random Wanderer
Gatchaman%20hajime
joined Dec 3, 2016

I understand Claire's position, she's a villain

Sorry to cherry-pick from your post, but I just want to poke at this. Claire's position isn't because she's a villain. Claire's opinion on the class system stems from ignorance, and has been trained into her by her father. She's never been given any reason to doubt the inherent superiority of the nobles, or to think that there's anything wrong with the commoners' lives that would justify this kind of movement, or anything along those lines. Claire isn't evil, she's just ignorant and unaware of it.

last edited at Jan 1, 2022 5:59PM

joined Dec 3, 2017

Sorry to cherry-pick from your post, but I just want to poke at this. Claire's position isn't because she's a villain. Claire's opinion on the class system stems from ignorance, and has been trained into her by her father. She's never been given any reason to doubt the inherent superiority of the nobles, or to think that there's anything wrong with the commoners' lives that would justify this kind of movement, or anything along those lines. Claire isn't evil, she's just ignorant and unaware of it.

Adding to this, you can see that she's even starting to realize that she doesn't know things. When Lene was explaining about why the commoners are struggling, she looks like she's a bit thoughtful about it for a second (granted its a bit more obvious in the wn)

Ezisrudvkaylvds
joined Jan 19, 2021

On a meta sense Claire's political views ARE because she's a villain, not in our IFTV but in the original game Rei was isekai'd into. It's the same reason why Rood, Thane, and Yuu are surprisingly reasonable about commoners wanting equality, even in-universe they're love interests written by 21st century Japanese writers who have to make them appealing to a modern audience.

Gay%20panic
joined Sep 11, 2020

On a meta sense Claire's political views ARE because she's a villain, not in our IFTV but in the original game Rei was isekai'd into.

Yea this is what I meant by "Claire is a villain". I think Claire is a cool character who is slowly learning to be a better person, but in the context of her original conception and design by the devs of the world she lives in, she's a villain. If not a minor bratty bully one, still counts.

joined Jan 14, 2020

In a medieval setting, taxes would include more than money. Much of the taxes farmers pay are part of their yearly harvest, for example.

True, but aesthetically this manga is 1789 France, long beyond the medieval period. I don't know what form French taxes took, but even medieval economies were starting to monetize by the 1200s, let alone the 1700s.

On the flip side, Tokugawa Japan (even more 'advanced' than 1789 France in many ways) collected taxes and paid salaries largely in rice. I assume it was up the recipient to sell excess rice to merchants to get the coins to buy anything else.

joined Jan 14, 2020

Imagine a world, where people think commoners cant be educated but women can! In fact, from our history, education for women came a loooot later than anything discussed about commoners. Even noble women were said to be incapable of learning things of the mind

Eh, this varies a lot; in many ways early Modern (1500+) Europe got worse for women compared to the medieval period, where you could have women doctors, nuns, abbesses... The Arab world around 1000 had a lot of women jurists.

This kind of co-ed school would be pretty anachronistic for Europe, true. But as mentioned, magic.

Wiwaxia-sketch
joined Nov 9, 2021

On the one hand, I want only the best for Rei and Claire.

On the other hand, * whistles the Internationale ​*

last edited at Jan 1, 2022 11:59PM

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

i just love how the slime just stays on everyone's head lol

Relaire just likes to...

(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

...stay on top of things.

last edited at Jan 2, 2022 2:38AM

Ezgif.com-gif-maker%20(1)
joined Jun 6, 2020

The kinda big thing is that any further notes on this would be spoiling but like Rei does have opinions on the subject, she's just not saying it. That's why they do that shot reverse with the Dad cause he knows she is 100% playing this to her chest

Profile2
joined Aug 8, 2015

Wow I didn't know Rei was a traitor to the revolution
... I'm still gonna support her simping, I just didn't know (?

To reply you must either login or sign up.