Forum › Posts by Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia-sketch
joined Nov 9, 2021

Well, not necessarily the best way to explain why the present won't be changed, but at least the author did actually give thought to this possible problem.

It's not necessarily the neatest solution from the perspective of consistent timeline mechanics, but "you're at risk of changing the present if you fuck up real bad, but if you do things right you can return to the same present you left while only changing the future" is a pretty good setup in terms of narrative stakes.

Wiwaxia-sketch
joined Nov 9, 2021

On the contrary, I think we're about to see the "first meeting" with Yvonne that Elsa has alluded to a few times. It would explain why Yvonne didn't remember it: from her perspective it hadn't happened yet.

Wiwaxia-sketch
joined Nov 9, 2021

Proposal for a "family life" tag! I'm not sure where to best draw the line for when something is a theme versus an episode, but I was thinking works like AniYome and I Hope It's Sunny Tomorrow would certainly qualify, and then there are some that are more uncertain?

not at all asking because I'm considering a series that might have 0 tags if not for this one's appearance heh

Ohana Holoholo and Ikoku Nikki seem like other obvious ones.

Wiwaxia-sketch
joined Nov 9, 2021

Dubious Consent - Not quite sure where to draw the lines with this one, interested in seeing examples of how other sites institute it, if any folks have specific examples they like.

Nobody seems to have offered potential criteria for this, so I'll take a crack at it.

I don't have a specific example of how other sites institute it, but in my mind there's three main categories that fall under Dubious Consent:
1. Situations where it is narratively ambiguous and unclear to the audience whether something is consensual or not; it can be read either way.
2. Situations of compromised consent (e.g. "consent" under conditions of coercion, manipulation, extreme power imbalance, altered mental states, etc.) that would generally be considered de facto nonconsensual irl, but where the narrative uses its ability to "see inside" characters heads to reassure us that the character being coerced or manipulated actually does want to consent, or otherwise takes a "no harm no foul" narrative approach.
3. Situations where both characters involved are being coerced, are under altered mental states, etc. (e.g. fuck-or-die scenarios, Escape Room setups that put narrative emphasis on reluctance or coercion, some stories involving aphrodisiacs).

Don't have examples to hand for the other types, but Even If It Was Just Once, I Regret It seems like a good example of case 2 where a Dubious Consent warning would be nice. Some "fluffy blackmail" stories might fall under this category too, at least in the early chapters.

That said, there are some other setups that I would consider clearly dubcon that don't quite fall under any of those three categories (e.g. Character A is mind-controlled into propositioning Character B, Character B accepts without realizing that Character A is being mind-controlled), but I'm having trouble formulating a general rule that includes all of them.

last edited at Dec 23, 2022 4:05PM

Wiwaxia
Wiwaxia-sketch
joined Nov 9, 2021
04119__snail-1584215517069340672-img1

Average trans girl hangout

Wiwaxia
Wiwaxia-sketch
joined Nov 9, 2021

Not particularly thrilled to see a user running around with a swastika avatar: https://dynasty-scans.com/forum/posts?user_id=72091

I'm obviously well aware that the symbol is used in Buddhist contexts, but anyone choosing it as an avatar sans any other context almost certainly knows the antisemitic implications and I'm not inclined to assume good faith.

Yes, thank you. They're gone.

Thank you for the prompt response!

Wiwaxia
Wiwaxia-sketch
joined Nov 9, 2021

Not particularly thrilled to see a user running around with a swastika avatar: https://dynasty-scans.com/forum/posts?user_id=72091

I'm obviously well aware that the symbol is used in Buddhist contexts, but anyone choosing it as an avatar sans any other context almost certainly knows the antisemitic implications and I'm not inclined to assume good faith.

Wiwaxia
Wiwaxia-sketch
joined Nov 9, 2021

"Moonlight and Donuts"? That's the wrong manga!

Wiwaxia
Wiwaxia-sketch
joined Nov 9, 2021

This may be a little mean-spirited but given the widespread negative attitudes towards polyamory in fiction, I find it very satisfying that it is consistently Kashiwai's monogamy that causes problems in this series. She's the one who goes out and kisses Tsuzuki behind her partner's back while Tsuzuki is perfectly transparent with her partners, and now it seems Kashiwai wants Tsuzuki all to herself, without any thought to what Tsuzuki wants (obviously not that). Indeed, throughout this chapter you can tell that Tsuzuki is paying much more attention to what Kashiwai is feeling than vice versa. Kashiwai laughs it off when Tsuzuki asks if she was put off by the scheduling calendar, but she does seem genuinely bothered by Tsuzuki's boundaries if this striking panel from last chapter is anything to go by (https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/brides_of_iberis_ch08#27), and I don't think her strategy of "laughing off the gaps between us" is going to hold for long. With Junichi and possibly now again with Tsuzuki, Kashiwai is bad at communicating when what she wants out of a relationship doesn't line up with what her partner wants, and bad at respecting the agreed-upon boundaries of that relationship, and if she doesn't change course it seems likely that she'll end up with neither of them (albeit perhaps a little wiser).

It's a pity we won't get to see the fallout play out at the lovely slow pace this manga has had so far, but the uptick in tempo this chapter was done smoothly enough that I hope it can be done satisfactorily.

Wiwaxia
Wiwaxia-sketch
joined Nov 9, 2021

The suture patterns of different ammonite species are very characteristic, I wonder if that one panel of ammonite suture lines in this chapter is referenced from a real specimen closely enough to ID it? Given the attention to detail in referencing buildings and whatnot throughout the manga, I wouldn't be surprised.

Wiwaxia
Wiwaxia-sketch
joined Nov 9, 2021

Everything BreadBunny said in the post above is spot on, Satsuki is dealing with a lot of feelings that are coming into conflict with each other and he’s gonna need some time and space to sort through them.

From the college scene it seems like Rika is straight (ie he was paying a lot of attention to that girl from his class) so I’m thinking we probably won’t end up with a BL turn

So much for the not het tag :V

last edited at Oct 24, 2022 4:30AM

Wiwaxia-sketch
joined Nov 9, 2021

Some very strong resonances here with the real-world abuse of autistic children for not having the "right" emotional reactions or otherwise not acting like how children are "supposed" to act, right down to the accusations of somehow replacing the imagined neurotypical child their parents expected to have.

Wiwaxia-sketch
joined Nov 9, 2021

alright nice to see that Elsa actually thinks about the consequences of using a love potion and decides against it, AND then we still get our fun because accidents exist. huzza

Not a bad way to have your cake and eat it too, all told

Wiwaxia
Wiwaxia-sketch
joined Nov 9, 2021

Staying after the shop was closed to make a cake for someone who came in right as she was closing up? She's smitten smitten.

Wiwaxia
Wiwaxia-sketch
joined Nov 9, 2021
2539371_eerisyn_lux-x-jinx-comm-part-2

I've seen heart-shaped pupils before, of course, but heart-shaped specular highlights in the eyes is a new innovation

Wiwaxia-sketch
joined Nov 9, 2021

Genuinely though I think the prez' line about how "it is wrong to blame people for something you're not even sure they did" is an indicator. I really do hope that the prez will find out that Michiru was set up and that he then comes to fully realize that he was not in any way justified for doing what he did, and likely that the vice prez has been playing him like a fiddle to get to murder people from the position of a victim no matter how little of a victim she even is anymore.

And I'm not looking for the prez to go through a redemption arc I just want to see his worldview crumble under its own weight. To get to see his argument void itself as it turns out that his logic has been used from the very start to hurt people who really do not deserve it.

The prez having a crisis of faith and trying to kill himself per his own rigid moral code only for Satsuki to step in and save him because That's What She Does would be a p satisfying end to his arc, I think.

I get why people want him dead but I think Satsuki saving him is more in line with the themes at play here.

Wiwaxia
Wiwaxia-sketch
joined Nov 9, 2021

Oh, that's painfully plausible. I know a lot of people in healthy poly relationships, probably the majority of my social circles, but I have never seen trying to open a previously-exclusive relationship after one partner has already kissed someone else behind their partner's back go well.

Your social circles must be vaster than the sample population of a Kinsey report.

It's almost like queer and poly people tend to clump together :P

Wiwaxia
Wiwaxia-sketch
joined Nov 9, 2021

The next step is sort things out with Jun-kun. I don't know how it will play out, but I think he's not completely unaware there's something wrong with their relationship, so it may not be as messy as we think. He may even accept Kashiwai's relationship with Tsuzuki and not be actually jealous, which would be an interesting twist.

If Akiyama is going to go the maximum drama route -- and it's Akiyama so there's a high chance of that -- then Jun will inwardly be upset and jealous but agree to some sort of poly relationship because he still loves Kashiwai and doesn't want to lose her.

Oh, that's painfully plausible. I know a lot of people in healthy poly relationships, probably the majority of my social circles, but I have never seen trying to open a previously-exclusive relationship after one partner has already kissed someone else behind their partner's back go well. Tends to end in a lot of heartbreak and hurt feelings, but at least people have a better idea of what they want and how to communicate it going into their next relationship(s).

Wiwaxia
Wiwaxia-sketch
joined Nov 9, 2021

Nice to see some small-of-the-back appreciation this chapter

Wiwaxia
Wiwaxia-sketch
joined Nov 9, 2021
Cookietanukiart-1554124544268349440-img1

^ Rival, narrative foil in SSiB, one of the few people who can beat Reimu in canon, looks a lot like Reimu's first crush Meira...
Seems like an obvious ship to me.

Wiwaxia-sketch
joined Nov 9, 2021

Youmu I know you are an airhead but please think about Akyuu's ability more!

Im an airhead and dont get it! Help!

She's remembering the exact movements of each tile as they were shuffled so she knows where all the face-down tiles are, I presume.

Wiwaxia
Wiwaxia-sketch
joined Nov 9, 2021

Might be worth having a dedicated villainess tag at this point?

Off the top of my head, there are:
https://dynasty-scans.com/series/i_favor_the_villainess
https://dynasty-scans.com/series/please_bully_me_miss_villainess and https://dynasty-scans.com/series/please_bully_me_miss_villainess_novel_ver
https://dynasty-scans.com/series/the_story_of_a_villainess_seducing_the_heroine
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/im_not_cut_out_to_be_a_princess_so_ill_elope_with_the_villainess
and the stories in this anthology: https://dynasty-scans.com/anthologies/im_the_villainess_but_the_heroines_trying_to_capture_me_anthology

but there might be others I haven't seen, too.

[7] assuming we're counting the two versions of Please Bully Me Miss Villainess separately and the stories in the anthology together.

last edited at Aug 9, 2022 1:27PM

Wiwaxia
Wiwaxia-sketch
joined Nov 9, 2021
Chaymomile-1552503837323251714-img1

Incredible tags

Wiwaxia
Wiwaxia-sketch
joined Nov 9, 2021
99201053_p9

^^ I think anime waifu COINTELPRO beats out anime waifu mishandling the Great Depression