Forum › Posts by JerryChops

JerryChops
joined Jan 22, 2015

This thing started when I was a college freshman. I am now entering year five of my fulltime career. Maybe it will finish before I retire, but not holding my breath.

Edit: I'm going senile. I started college in 2014 not 2018. Goddamit.

last edited at Jan 21, 2024 8:52PM

JerryChops
joined Jan 22, 2015

This has "don't stick your dick in crazy" relationship vibes except its yuri so I guess its "don't jam with a sinister clam".

I'll see myself out now.

JerryChops
joined Jan 22, 2015

this is one of the most transphobic trans hentai ive ever seen, which is impressive since bits of it out of context seem like a transfem fantasy land

Haven't read this yet and my first thought here is "bruh what are you smoking?"

if you read it perhaps things will make more sense

Actually I did just finish reading it. In conclusion, idk wtf is happening and I should try again tomorrow, when I'm not drunk and only moderately aware of what media I'm consuming.

JerryChops
joined Jan 22, 2015

this is one of the most transphobic trans hentai ive ever seen, which is impressive since bits of it out of context seem like a transfem fantasy land

Haven't read this yet and my first thought here is "bruh what are you smoking?"

JerryChops
joined Jan 22, 2015

We have a dubious consent tag? Ok makes sense.

We have a skinsuit tag? When did this become ex-hentai?

JerryChops
Liberta discussion 30 May 16:06
joined Jan 22, 2015

Frankly ch.38 bothers me. Too much physics ignored with this jet leg thing

joined Jan 22, 2015

Wait I thought it was Beniki-san they couldn't find any papers kn?

well Benika is the daughter and she's just a normal documented japanese person, it is specifically Rose who is the assassin in disguise that they can't find any documents on because they don't realize she is their assassin.

Thanks

joined Jan 22, 2015

I love the incredibly dense room full of spies for this Father - daughter-in-law chitchat. With the father only having been marked because the Assassination agency cannot for the life of them get documents on Rose.

It's just hilarious to me how the church is spying on them because the guy the bishop has offloaded his crucial evidence onto has been marked literally for no good reason, and the agency marked him because they cannot find any documents on Rose because she's just that good at hiding her identity.

Wait I thought it was Beniki-san they couldn't find any papers kn?

joined Jan 22, 2015

I am growing increasingly worried about the priest dad's odds of survival in this story.

Agreed, but no tragedy tag (yet) so maybe a happyish ending?

joined Jan 22, 2015

Yuu drives a Mazda RX-7, nice.

Nice to see I wasn't the only one admiring Yuu's ride.

joined Jan 22, 2015

Omg this poor father.

joined Jan 22, 2015

Finger condoms actually making an appearance

11/10

JerryChops
VAMPEERZ discussion 21 Apr 21:46
joined Jan 22, 2015

The 1st translation of this was uploaded to Dynasty the same month I finished my undergraduate... how time flies

JerryChops
joined Jan 22, 2015

I'm down bad for this

joined Jan 22, 2015

No lesson for the player?

Pretty sure the player is gonna be "serviced" by girlfriend and ex-girlfriend. At the same time. And her reaction seems to indicate that this is not to her preferences.

joined Jan 22, 2015

Well that was cute

JerryChops
joined Jan 22, 2015

Am I the only one who got 0 emotions from this? Like the characters felt so dead and the story was so bland

Same. It just felt like it was going through the motions lol.

Same. Basically glanced at every page.

JerryChops
Anemone discussion 23 Feb 20:17
joined Jan 22, 2015

This was not the Anemone I was looking for

JerryChops
joined Jan 22, 2015

Welp, this most recent chapter has made it very clear why there is only 2 volumes.

joined Jan 22, 2015

The diabetes is real with this one.

JerryChops
joined Jan 22, 2015

This does that annoying thing American comics do, where a word is bolded to emphasize it. Like why? It's so jarring in script.

American comics don't bold to emphasize, they bold to mimic speech patterns and control how the line sounds out loud. Which are, admittedly, not universal. But when you're translating into a target language, you try to choose a consistent voice and and stay natural to that voice. In American comics case nowadays, it's to match American TV, but you can't just emphasize anything in a sentence.

Thanks for the explanation (Goggled Anon too). I suspect part of the reason I find bolding offputting is that I started my reading in novels, then migrated to comics.

I also don't watch TV, which would make speech patterns in comics foreign to me.

JerryChops
joined Jan 22, 2015

This does that annoying thing American comics do, where a word is bolded to emphasize it. Like why? It's so jarring in script.

joined Jan 22, 2015

Anyways, I hope I managed to better express my thoughts

I'm glad you elaborated on your perspective, I found this reply a lot more interesting than your first one.

Anyways, get help from someone trained and leave us alone.

I spent 3 years trying to help that friend before jumping ship.

I think this is personally where I found issue with Shimamura's writing, though. It's one thing to get tired of trying to help someone who can't help themselves over a prolonged period of time, but... surely you wouldn't tell somebody their friendship wasn't worth bothering with the first time they came to you as a blubbering mess? I think the world would be a pretty depressing place if we could never seek emotional support from our friends in our time of need, lest we risk losing the friendship, because we didn't immediately seek therapy. That's why I perceive Shimamura to be uncharacteristically callous here. Even though it's certainly in her nature to do whatever's most convenient for her, she also usually does the bare minimum to keep the people around her satisfied too.

Others here have addressed Shimamura's apathetic personality, and I agree with them, so I'll skip reiterating what's been said on that topic.

Personally, I'd say the world is full of supportive people. I certainly was at the start. My current callous attitude stems from a rather depressing experience trying to support a friend. My "seek therapy not me" belief is because I failed. I knew my friend from the age of 11 and was friends from the age of 14. All those years together, and I failed.

Alright, enough about my own emotional baggage. Regarding Adachi and Shimamura, they haven't known each other that long, and are certainly not "close". Thus far, all attempts to close the distance have been made by Adachi, and frankly, she is a blundering fool at this, and there are reasons for that. All this, coupled with Shimamura's apathetic personality, is what drove the "you're a pain" response.

joined Jan 22, 2015

Bad writing would be not providing reasons, rooted in the characters lived experiences and personalities, for Adachi's breakdown nor Shimamura's response

That is literally what the person you're replying to is claiming, though. I don't agree with them that Adachi's breakdown was out of character (I thought it was very well depicted, actually, as someone who was an extremely dependent and jealous teenager myself), but Shimamura's response doesn't feel very Shimamura to me at all, and that's the point they were making. Clearly you disagree, but you should make your disagreement on that axis; trying to tell them what "bad writing" is when what you wrote actually lines up with exactly what they wrote in different words comes off as not really replying to what they said.

Ah, you are correct. Please bear in mind that I am not a wordsmith of any means. If I was, I'd get paid for it.

Allow me to be more direct. I agree with motormind's definition of bad writing. I strongly disagree with their conclusion that this is a badly written story event. Adachi has been very well portrayed and buildup to her breakdown event began in volume 1. Shimamura's portrayal is lacking in the manga (LN does a far better job), but her actions are very much realistic. How so? Someone she had a mild interest in called her and had an emotional breakdown over the phone. Her response? "I don't currently feel like dealing with the mess you are" (or something along those lines). I dumped a 12y friendship for the same reason. Fact is, some people in this world can't be bothered to help those who are an emotional mess. Too much effort. Does this make me (or Shimamura) a callous bitch? Idk or really care. Shimamura, whom I obviously identify with, is a selfish individual. Such individuals tend to stear clear of "blubbering messes" as dealing with those take a lot of time and effort and often never really get sorted out. There are professionals that specialize in helping those with emotional.. issues? Idk a polite way to say it. Anyways, get help from someone trained and leave us alone.

I will note that we have not yet seen Shimamura's internal dialogue of the current situation. Perspectives matter... I spent 3 years trying to help that friend before jumping ship.

Anyways, I hope I managed to better express my thoughts, upsetting as some may find them. If not, well, at least I tried.

joined Jan 22, 2015

I suppose a manga is really good if it makes different people hate one of the persons, but a different one to someone else, to the point they want to stop reading. I'm not sure if feelings of that much uncomfortable are a good thing for an artist to create, but it shows skill.

I disagree. The main problem I have with this story is that Adachi and Shimamura are clearly being made to behave in certain ways for dramatic effect, and not necessarily because it makes sense. Yes, Adachi was fascinated by Shimamura from the start, and it took quite a while to realize her own feelings. Shimamura, in turn, was always depicted as cautious, overly polite and somewhat baffled by the affection thrown her way by Adachi (and others). She never outright pushed Adachi away though, as she wondered about her own interest in that girl. It was subtle, sweet, sometimes heart-wrenching, but never dipped into straight-up melodrama.

Until now, that is. For some reason, the author deemed it fit to make have Adachi regress into a blubbering mess over Shimamura, and to turn Shimamura in a callous b*tch who just don't give a damn. None of this makes any sense within what was established about those two before, so what the heck happened?

Well, bad writing. That's what happened. My best guess is that the author simply has no clue how to prolong the subtle conflict and give any of the girls a convincing character arc. The "solution:" exaggerate the girls' personality traits the point of caricature. The result is a jarring mess that leaves me scratching my head, to say the least.

Bad writing would be not providing reasons, rooted in the characters lived experiences and personalities, for Adachi's breakdown nor Shimamura's response. These reasons are present in this work, and have been subtly and not so subtly hinted at since volume 1. Many other fourm posts cover these. Perhaps give them a read.

To both points above, strong emotional responses from readers is not indicative of good writing. The depth of character and world building are. Characters are fictional people, and all people have a reason behind their actions, even if it be unknown to the individual acting. The same is true of societies. And all worlds are based upon a core set of rules (i.e. Newtonian Laws). A good writer builds this into the story. This is, by the by, what divides hard science fiction & fantasy from simple scifi and fantasy. Jared Sanderson from Stephenie Meyer.