Forum › Please Bully Me, Miss Villainess! discussion

joined Apr 8, 2021

It would have been so much better to have it in a real fantasy world setting

This one sentence sums up the entire genre for me. I have literally never seen an isekai's isekai-ness contribute positively to a story in any way. Any isekai story that I've enjoyed has been despite it, not because of it.

I just don't understand how the quality of published media deteriorated this quickly on such a widespread scale. Once upon a time we used to understand that Mary Sue was, like, a bad thing? Something that should only be found in bad fanfiction? And yet a genre that only exists for the purpose of writing Mary Sues is now the most popular, mainstream genre in the wn/ln/manga/anime bubble. How did we collectively forget that this isn't good writing?

That being said, at least this author is willing to explore a more interesting use of the genre. In this case it actually isn't just an obscenely overpowered self-insert harem fantasy, and is actually the exact opposite, which is a first for what I've seen. Still, the gamified "system" feels like a lazy worldbuilding shortcut and is jarring to suspension of disbelief.

Not to be too negative here, since I do like this, but as said above, that's despite the isekai aspect. This could just be a world better if only it had slightly more logical worldbuilding to serve as the impetus for bullying than literal video game popups.

last edited at Nov 19, 2021 9:54AM

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

a genre that only exists for the purpose of writing Mary Sues

Grimgar would like to have a word with you.

Although I do admit, a lot of isekai has ridiculously overpowered protagonists. The better ones among them are either parodies or eventually at least give them enemies of similar power levels, but don't do much to help with the bigger problem.

joined Oct 2, 2021

This is getting better and better.
Can't wait for chapter 7 and 8

Internet_lied
joined Jul 15, 2016

I just don't understand how the quality of published media deteriorated this quickly on such a widespread scale. Once upon a time we used to understand that Mary Sue was, like, a bad thing? Something that should only be found in bad fanfiction? And yet a genre that only exists for the purpose of writing Mary Sues is now the most popular, mainstream genre in the wn/ln/manga/anime bubble. How did we collectively forget that this isn't good writing?

Oh, I find it very understandable that the demand for pure wish-fulfillment escapist fiction skyrockets in a climate of alienation, uncertainty, and impending existential gloom, especially among the young people who begin to comprehend a) how screwed they all are, b) that it, for the most part, wasn't up to them, and c) that there is very little they can do about it at this point.

last edited at Nov 20, 2021 4:37AM

joined Jul 19, 2011

The thing that really is throwing me off is that despite being exiled to a small border town, that school apparently has the same uniform as her old school. It is both really confusing and makes it hard to take the exile seriously as it appears to have had no material impact on her.

joined May 23, 2015

.. I wonder if the whole villainness system is rooted in the Heroine's wishes or something like that in the end

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Oh Yvonne you sweet innocent child, you think that Elsa is accidentally saying suggestive lines to you?

4esenuaj_400x400
joined Sep 16, 2014

Elsa showing why she is the heroine.

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

She's back at her old school just like that? feels like, the whole exile thing was almost meaningless ...but well, I guess I have an idea of how seriously I should approach this, in other words I should sit back and enjoy the yuri haha

kenkyokitsune Uploader
Xiao
The Golden Orchid
joined May 4, 2021

She's back at her old school just like that? feels like, the whole exile thing was almost meaningless ...but well, I guess I have an idea of how seriously I should approach this, in other words I should sit back and enjoy the yuri haha

No, she's still exiled in the border town. Unfortunately the artist didn't make the uniforms between her old school (in the capital) and the new one different visually.

Tumblr_p5pa4n7ag21tandono1_400
joined Feb 21, 2019

Dynasty scan readers develop reading comprehension challenge

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

kenkyokitsune posted:

No, she's still exiled in the border town. Unfortunately the artist didn't make the uniforms between her old school (in the capital) and the new one different visually.

It's seriously confusing me, I had to come back and read all the super important details in the credit page, like the fact that she enrolled in a new school behind the scenes, that her parents are in one place and she's in another and that the the heroine also transferred to that school in the border town, all behind the scenes from one chapter to the next while keeping the same uniform. Like this comic is complementary to the novel readers.

last edited at Nov 20, 2021 6:12PM

joined Apr 16, 2017

I think I need to read the web novel

Kanata%20emma%20cute%20cat%20laying
joined Apr 23, 2021

what a colossal bitch that bitch was

joined Oct 2, 2021

Bitch be yeeted like the bitch she is.

joined Jun 13, 2020

The first chapter captured my interest, but the rest has been rather meh. Sort of the same scenario on repeat for three chapters.

joined Jun 25, 2021

it seems the comic is missing a lot??? All these notes make me wish I could be reading the novel instead

Rsz_wa
joined Sep 5, 2019

That lead bully resembles bakarina quite a bit

joined Oct 12, 2021

a little bit of confusing and a lot of gay

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

Forget about "Mary Sues" or whatever the bad writing here is excising entire chunks of really important context that need to then be appended at the end by a third party in order for the story to be coherent. I have to assume this isn't intended to be a standalone adaptation but rather a supplement to the novel.

Irene_&_teresa
joined Jun 12, 2019

I dont know who has it worse, lol. This girl or Claire. They both have overpowered heroines barging in on their lives

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

I dont know who has it worse, lol. This girl or Claire. They both have overpowered heroines barging in on their lives

Well, Claire hasn't had to go through all this crap with criminal charges and getting exiled, nor does she have to put up with that damn system. Clearly she's far ahead of this poor girl.

georgeoswalddannyson
joined Aug 21, 2019

I don't really like the whole 'system' thing, but the villainess design is really good

Screenshot%2006-15-2022%2021.27.00
joined Mar 25, 2021

god I love this so much

Ioruu%20dr
joined Jul 13, 2014

I don't know if somebody has said it, but this is kind of a yuri Noucome, and I'm all for it.

To reply you must either login or sign up.