Forum › The Two of Them Are Pretty Much Like This discussion

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

Wait I don't get it sorry. Does he want to become a woman? or just look feminine?

We'll probably get more specific details in the coming chapters.

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

Wow thank you once again manga for your thrilling depictions of trans women as hopeless stalkers

Certainly there are some bad depictions out there. But I think this kid is just desperate for someone to talk to about gender stuff.

When I was growing up, the only representation available aside from mean, one-off jokes was The Rocky Horror Picture Show. And that movie isn't great representation, to put it lightly.

Having a working adult in a happy relationship as a role model probably would've gotten me out of the closet a lot earlier and saved me a lot of pain.

As for this, it remains to be seen how the character is handled from here. It'd be nice to have a trans character not suffering too much for once.

Glsp3y3v_400x400
joined Nov 19, 2020

Yeah this is honestly pretty endearing to me! I really hope we see more of that chara ^^_^^

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

So the kid was just trans, phew.

Gotta say “you have a girlfriend so you must be a guy” is one of the weirder logic jumps I’ve encountered and very much smacks of being so caught up in your own issues that you forget about everything else. I feel bad for both of them in that situation lol.

Whatever happens during this arc just please please please treat this person better than Akemi. It’s been a long time since sasameki koto came out so lets hope there’s some growth from there.

bloodonthewater
Bigj
joined Jul 7, 2021

uh

20210429_051959
joined May 18, 2021

WOA, a baby trans??? here's to hoping they handle her well and don't just go "HAHA TRANS PEOPLE AM I RIGHT?!?"

Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

Oooooooooohhh shhhhhiiiiiiiiit.

I dont know how you can recover from that.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Could be crossdressing

1453e55cc3ab545974cae651c20afaf3
joined May 28, 2021

Sakuma does dress like a bit of a slob most of the time, I guess she could sorta give that impression (^^)

D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

Every single one of you is overthinking this. He just likes the blonde girl.

uh

Nice try jesus, but you gotta up your level kiddo.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

That poor dummy...

joined May 18, 2021

baby trans girl!

Also they briefly mention but; some of the reasons he thought she was 'a man' was her being tall and having a deeper voice

last edited at Jul 30, 2021 12:15PM

bloodonthewater
Bigj
joined Jul 7, 2021

Every single one of you is overthinking this. He just likes the blonde girl.

uh

Nice try jesus, but you gotta up your level kiddo.

I don't gotta up my level, I AM the level. and uh... i'm not tackling that.

EDIT: I mean Jesus was, I'm not him. I'm not the level. I'm just a loser.

last edited at Jul 30, 2021 12:33PM

starlighthanabi
joined Jan 13, 2021

nice twist.

The YuriWitch
Ricowow
joined Dec 23, 2020

HYAHAHAHAHA! That's the misunderstanding of the day!! The look on her face was PRICELESS!

Sanya Juutilainen
Ava_256
joined Apr 8, 2019

Ohhh, this reminds me when me and my then-GF got called bunch of gays in winter, because we're both man height and wore winter coats...

Though at least in this case it wasn't meant as an insult, so that's better, I guess.

ckretaznmayden
__sakura_futaba_persona_and_persona_5_drawn_by_kion_kun__d693cf24f18f5565a7cc666e236df3fc
joined Apr 9, 2019

Oh, shit. Oh, shit. Oh, shit. I'm way more interested in this high schooler now.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

It's always fun to see the comments go from "male, die!" to "we want more" in just one chapter. :P

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

Wow thank you once again manga for your thrilling depictions of trans women as hopeless stalkers

Certainly there are some bad depictions out there. But I think this kid is just desperate for someone to talk to about gender stuff.

When I was growing up, the only representation available aside from mean, one-off jokes was The Rocky Horror Picture Show. And that movie isn't great representation, to put it lightly.

Having a working adult in a happy relationship as a role model probably would've gotten me out of the closet a lot earlier and saved me a lot of pain.

As for this, it remains to be seen how the character is handled from here. It'd be nice to have a trans character not suffering too much for once.

Yeah I think the kid is just earnest and awkward, the author even said the kid is sincere.

Gotta say “you have a girlfriend so you must be a guy” is one of the weirder logic jumps I’ve encountered and very much smacks of being so caught up in your own issues that you forget about everything else. I feel bad for both of them in that situation lol.

I think it's because they're a teenager that's maybe not been exposed to gay people before, and yeah the kid is caught up in their own issues they're a teenager trying to figure themselves out. Something I could see happening even IRL, and I'm not going to hold anything against the kid for an honest awkward mistake.

last edited at Jul 30, 2021 2:59PM

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Wait I don't get it sorry. Does he want to become a woman? or just look feminine?

Does it matter? Does one make him a better or worse person? Does it change the comedy either way?

That said, I think while we don't have genuine information on that, we do have a clue: The guy is asking about "pulling it off" which strikes me as more an appearance issue, like how do you "pass" for being what you are not. So maybe just a look feminine/crossdress kind of thing.
I have noticed that while in North America crossdressing as a phenomenon on its own is these days much less visible and discussed than transgender transitions, and indeed I'd say much less discussed than it was years ago, in Japanese fiction at least crossdressing, particularly male crossdressing as female, continues to be a lot more commonly depicted than actual transgender. So in a manga, all else being equal crossdressing would still tend to be the way to bet.

I'm not sure either side is totally healthy . . . near as I can make out transgender issues continue to be sidelined in Japan, but I sometimes get the feeling that in North American queer subcultures you're practically not allowed to be just a guy who wants to crossdress any more, that's taken as almost having to mean you really should be trans.

last edited at Jul 30, 2021 3:16PM

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^Yeah tbh I read that as him wanting crossdressing tips, and just being a crossdresser doesn't = trans right? though obviously it touches on the edge of the same areas, as it were.

last edited at Jul 30, 2021 3:43PM

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

IAKi100atT posted:

And I think you're paranoid.

We know literally NOTHING about their reason for wanting to pass as a girl/woman, but you just have to go on assuming things and feel insulted on your own.

FYI, some people want to crossdress because of other reasons than some gender dysphoria.

last edited at Jul 30, 2021 4:12PM

Stardusttelepath8
joined Oct 15, 2014

^Yeah tbh I read that as him wanting crossdressing tips, and just being a crossdresser doesn't = trans right? though obviously it touches on the edge of the same areas, as it were.

I would imagine it's a genuine concern for trans people too, especially those with masculine physiques who want to express themselves as female but lack the fashion knowhow to avoid being seen as just "a dude in a dress". We can glance from Kita's remark about not wanting to be all muscles that their body type is a hurdle for them.

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Ahahaa, sure didn't see that coming. Super embarrassing.

To reply you must either login or sign up.