Forum › You Are My Soulmate discussion

Phpcmgiip_c2pm
joined Dec 14, 2016

there’s a lot more people hating on ABO than I thought, I personally love it. Bonded by hormones, claimed by marks, their mating cycle, makes really good smut. The chances for poly are lower as well since Alphas are so possessive. I like this new trend

Chances of poly is low but the chances of rape and sexal assault is very high. And most of the time it's waved away as it's hormones.

Yuri Newbie Fan
joined May 16, 2021

Wow! I’m so excited for the next chapter. Please update soon before I forget this one.

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

I'm just going to point out that the original Alpha,Beta,Omega of wolves is in fact bad science at work.

The gist of it was an experiment in captivity using random adult wolves instead of an actual pack,the original scientist himself has stated that it was wrong,and the reality is the "alphas" are just the two parents,whilst everything underneath are the children,with them occasionally leaving,finding others,and starting their own packs.

There are more details and many more articles one can look up online,so enjoy looking all that up.

In short,ABO is nothing fiction when it comes to actual humans,more so this version for this story,and it's going to be the core aspect for the whole story.

Angryface
joined Mar 22, 2021

I find this interesting as in the previous omegaverse stories I read, there is normally a lot of assault and discrimination. I am glad that this series (at least from the first part) hasn't done any of that and I like how the two girls were able to get to know each other over a year without any massive drama. I hope part two will continue this and just be a nice love story.

saltyslug5561
Yvo0lylulbwzixjblrxj
joined May 12, 2020

This omegaverse thing is like a nightmare scenario.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

I really don't get the whole omegaverse thing. There seems to be 6 genders, but 2 of the 6 are hermaphrodites? Is that right? I think this calls for one of those flow charts manga artist sometimes use to show relationships between character.
It seems a long way to go to creat a world where "same sex" pairings can become proper couples in society. I think I like unisex yuri better. Yes sir give me good old fashion 404 men not found yuri any day.

I found it weird, that in a world where there are six genders, all girl schools, and the concept of "yuri" are stil a thing.

last edited at May 16, 2021 4:51AM

Ewe
joined Jan 22, 2017

Hm...I don't really get ABO, but it seems nice enough. How humans work compared to animals is pretty convenient (no insane heat mode like with cats for example), so it's interesting to see what those changes could do.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Spoopycats posted:

I feel like what generally appeals to me about ABO is that even though you have these common stereotypes that each role is supposed to fill, most well-written ABO fics buck that trend and depict the stereotypes as conditioned by society rather than the rule. And you sometimes have more nuanced protagonists who are in conflict with what society expects them to do in regards to their given role and what they actually feel, which is interesting to me as a reader

We have plenty of that as in, so I really see no reason to invent entire new setting, just to explore something we already are exploring all the time.

Simca posted:

ABO is mainly used as an attempt to separate gender and sex more explicitly than our real society does. Female Alphas being women who are sexually male, and male Omegas being men who are sexually female.

Which doesn't make any sense. I already hate how irl people are constantly trying to divide people in some specific categories. It's just counterproductive and doesn't work. To me this entire Omega-stuff is just trying to enforce typical het dynamic on same-sex couples, which like, shouldn't be a thing even with het couples.

I guess 1 positive thing in this setting is idea of same-sex pregnancy, but at least in terms of yuri it usually comes with caveat that female Alphas have dicks, which is already like big issue for me. And again I much prefer simply both sides being able to get pregnant instead of enforcing that only 1 sex's job is getting pregnant and giving birth in same-sex couples.

MagiMaki posted:

Hm...I don't really get ABO, but it seems nice enough. How humans work compared to animals is pretty convenient (no insane heat mode like with cats for example), so it's interesting to see what those changes could do.

Yea. It could be interesting to see how humanity with different biology could work and cope with it, but sadly vast majority of ABO don't really try to do it and instead focus on just pure smut, which is usually filled with rape and toxic relationships, because bIoLoGy AnD hOrMoNeS.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

Yeah ABO is too often an excuse to justify Turbo Misogyny with bioessentialism and generally just ends up feelings gross. It's like rape culture distilled into the basis of a society.

DR2 Hajime Hinata
Image_2023-07-05_193410907
joined Jul 20, 2016

I haven't heard about ABO until a few months ago but it's really just cringe fanfiction stuff if you think about it. I wouldn't be surprised if the first person who thought about it was a 13 year old who didn't think super deep about it originally and mistakenly made a universe where rape and superiority is somewhat accepted.

Fetish%20notebook%20lsmol
joined May 20, 2013

To me, ABO stuff reads like 'What if humans did some stuff that some furries did, with regards to animalistic/feral tendencies and a fixation on breeding, but while still in human skin?'

It just feels very off. But hey, please enjoy it if you can!

joined Apr 8, 2018

There was a yuri anime exploring both of those in 2017.

Which one?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

To me, ABO stuff reads like 'What if humans did some stuff that some furries did, with regards to animalistic/feral tendencies and a fixation on breeding, but while still in human skin?'

Exactly--give these characters fuzzy ears and a tail and I'm guessing the reader hostility drops off considerably.

Of course, Takemiya Jin's previous characters often acted like they already had fuzzy ears and a tail (and feral libidos) anyway.

joined Jun 19, 2020

Noice just N O I C E

Non%20face%20prunus%20girl%20ch%2010%20pg%206
joined Jul 3, 2018

ABO is mainly used as an attempt to separate gender and sex more explicitly than our real society does. Female Alphas being women who are sexually male, and male Omegas being men who are sexually female.

So they're trans. But in a weird, biologically essentialist way that means that you don't have to admit it or understand real world trans experience. Cool.

So much of the ABO setup, here, drips in the possibility of trans allegory, but the actual implementation makes it hard to map to meatspace. There are three genders... But then let's immediately separate the genders along sex lines, so that gender is different from but still intimately related to sex. Both men and women can get pregnant... But dominance and leadership are deliberately tied to the ability to impregnate people, and the ability to get pregnant is treated, in and of itself, as a moral good. This is extremely frustrating, because I can see how these ideas play into wider narratives about how men and women are supposed to behave, reinforcing negative stereotypes. Like, I suppose it's good that omegas (the stand in for the "woman" role) are horny, but that's really all I'm getting out of this.

(Also, to be clear, what I'm hearing about general ABO tropes are much more problematic. Like, tying the presence of a penis to leadership is... Gross. So so gross. But I'm trying to keep my discussion more focused on this particular manga.)

The story doesn't seem to rely too heavily on the ABO stuff, though. At least, so far. We spend a lot of time on ABO exposition, but there isn't a lot that's really related to it otherwise. MC finds out that there's a hot girl at school, goes looking, finds her, falls in love, is rejected, pursues it gently anyway. Not an uncommon yuri story. Most of my worries are about what "defective alpha" and "Physical characteristics: beta" end up meaning. Based on a lot of the discussion of ABO tropes here, I worry that it's going to mean she doesn't have a penis, which... Clearly isn't a real problem, even in the fictional world, since they still know what yuri is.

Lewdssss
joined Mar 23, 2019

Oh shit, it's ANOTHER DEFECTIVE ALPHA!? xD

defective alphas are starting to grow on me <3

last edited at May 16, 2021 11:07AM

Screenshot_2018-10-31%20dynasty%20reader%20%c2%bb%20fusoroi%20no%20renri%20ch13
joined Jul 1, 2014

Polite request

Take your problems with ABO to a thread about ABO and not into stories that have ABO as part of the theme.

I'd rather read what your takes are about the story and how the ABO is used here than your opinion about ABO.

Lewdssss
joined Mar 23, 2019

I think the Vice President now President is just fronting and is trying very hard to hide her natural urges and around Megu. Everything will be better explained in part 2 probably. Or maybe not but I'm just happy there's more OmegaVerse content being added to Dynasty.

last edited at May 16, 2021 11:02AM

Eri
joined Aug 30, 2020

Eh, the omegaverse stuff doesn't really vibe with me but I like Takemiya Jin's work so I'll see it through as long as it gets translated

Phone
joined Oct 7, 2017

Well, it's just another long-winded way to justify human characters "going into heat". Better watch out here, the people who find a lack of consent to be hot are already crawlin' out of the woodwork.

At least this author has managed to skirt around the whole "lesbian relationship but one has a dick, not as any kind of aknowledgement that trans women exist but just because Nobody Understands how two V-havers go at it" thing...?

Me_avatar_smaller
joined Aug 4, 2018

I don't get it why people that doesn't enjoy omegaverse insist on coming to a work about it just to wave their superior morale thing :tm: instead of getting that yes, people likes different thing, thank you. Some people enjoy certain stuff in their fiction, okay.

This series looks pretty good to be honest. I always enjoy more omegaverse works, especially those of yuri :ok_hand:

Kaban_chan_by_tjcooper666_dchtu4u-pre
joined Aug 30, 2014

people saying theres a rise on omegaverse but this is literally one of two omegaverse in here?? also if you dont like then dont read, i'm personally into omegaverse and i dont want a bunch of haters ruining it.

last edited at May 16, 2021 11:47AM

Mari%20-%20gf
joined Apr 1, 2015

Defective alpha, so omegaverse-lite story I guess, and makes it possible for this to have that and the yuri tag.
For two parts it feels like it's doing more tldr than character development, but it's Takemiya, so am curious about the end.

joined Oct 23, 2016

I don't get this omegaverse/beastiality traits nonsense.

Why not just make more yurixfutanari mangas/series? Same thing without the animalistic like crap.

joined Mar 13, 2020

Interesting, I've heard of these terms from fanfiction but didn't expect to see them on this site.

To reply you must either login or sign up.