Forum › So, Do You Want To Go Out, Or? discussion

Sachifaceagain%20(2)
joined Jun 29, 2020

So is "We're Not Dating, But We Did It Anyway" a non-canon sequel?

it's a sequel to the one-shot, not to the series

It seems consistent with the events of the one-shot, but the characters feel closer to the ones in the series; especially Miwa, who comes across as aloof in the original one-shot, but rather needy in the series and the hentai. So even if it's not canon, I wonder if we might see similar things happen here.

joined Apr 6, 2013

Ooh, actually chugging along. Thats good to see maybe we might even catch up. I was wondering if I was going to have to wait for the official english release whenever that might be.

Marcy
joined Nov 11, 2015

Ok, i'm actually starting to think that they just don't work out with each other but the "PLEASE MA'AM! JUST A DROP OF COOCHIE" BROKE ME

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

I'm just getting more confused. They're hiding it from the band members, but some of them know anyway? I might need to go back and reread, I'm getting the side characters all scrambled.

joined Jun 12, 2019

Saeko....
I really want to see them end up together but like it’s so hard with the way they are. I do love how realistic it is tho

American_virgin
joined May 25, 2014

It's funny how they both sort of have the same core problem: trying to hide their insecurities and never resolve them (and I see myself in both of them, fuck). Saeko is just better at hiding them usually, even from herself. As long as they just treat each other's flaws as "cute," it won't be possible for them to make a deep, honest connection. It sorta feels like the author is deconstructing the common yuri (or really, romance manga in general) relationship dynamics of 'shy, needy bottom x bold, possessive top,' pointing out how unhealthy that can be, regardless of how nice it feels in the moment. Usshi was onto something when she guessed that people want relationships because they like to feel needed. Regardless of where the relationship ends up, I think the characters are going to grow a lot from it. Happy for Miwa taking her first steps this chapter.

And we're at over three months already. Was that mentioned before? Guess it's time to prepare for the downward spiral.

As someone married over 10 years: neither yourself nor your partner will ever be perfect. Your partner will always have faults and insecurities that are dumb, and annoying, that they should just fix/get over (and you will have the same). The key to a happy relationship is to not focus on their minor faults (now abusive behavior is different), treat those like a trick knee, something you just have to work around and you can get along fine. Obsess about how your partner always leaves a mess in the kitchen/leaves socks on the floor, and you won't have a happy relationship.

Bldrnner
joined Mar 3, 2019

And we're at over three months already. Was that mentioned before? Guess it's time to prepare for the downward spiral.

As someone married over 10 years: neither yourself nor your partner will ever be perfect. Your partner will always have faults and insecurities that are dumb, and annoying, that they should just fix/get over (and you will have the same). The key to a happy relationship is to not focus on their minor faults (now abusive behavior is different), treat those like a trick knee, something you just have to work around and you can get along fine. Obsess about how your partner always leaves a mess in the kitchen/leaves socks on the floor, and you won't have a happy relationship.

As a devout atheist, I say, AMEN to this.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

It's funny how they both sort of have the same core problem: trying to hide their insecurities and never resolve them (and I see myself in both of them, fuck). Saeko is just better at hiding them usually, even from herself. As long as they just treat each other's flaws as "cute," it won't be possible for them to make a deep, honest connection. It sorta feels like the author is deconstructing the common yuri (or really, romance manga in general) relationship dynamics of 'shy, needy bottom x bold, possessive top,' pointing out how unhealthy that can be, regardless of how nice it feels in the moment. Usshi was onto something when she guessed that people want relationships because they like to feel needed. Regardless of where the relationship ends up, I think the characters are going to grow a lot from it. Happy for Miwa taking her first steps this chapter.

Yeah, but it takes a while (and often more than one relationship) to learn how to tell the difference between "minor faults that I can live with" and "major things that will make my life miserable forever." Not to mention the difference between, "things I can change about myself that are worth changing, both for me and my partner" and "things that are not my problem."

These are young people coming to terms with new emotions and unfamiliar situations--missteps, misunderstandings, and miscalculations come with the territory.

Sachifaceagain%20(2)
joined Jun 29, 2020

Oh yeah, by no means am I saying that they need to be perfect for each other. I just mean that their lack of open, honest communication makes it hard for them to connect in a meaningful way and help each other. Miwa clearly thinks she can change for the better and she wants to, but Saeko might be somewhat inhibiting her growth by being dishonest about how she feels and encouraging Miwa to remain as dependent as she has been. So if your partner (using the generic "you" here) has a flaw that's tolerable or that you even find endearing, that's fine. The problem is when that flaw is highly problematic yet you keep it to yourself all the time and pretend everything's fine, or you encourage them to stay the same when they want to improve.

joined Dec 20, 2013

"What're they doing down there ? Not even trying to hide it."

That's called being free and do whatever you want because you have the right to... Geez this one is starting to get on my nerves... there's nothing worse than someone who thinks that Lgbt people can exist as long as they don't show they exist.

If they hide, they don't publicly exist. this is both driscriminatory, reductive and selfish, you little sensitive brat.
Ghhuuu this character IS SO ANNOYING ! Worse of all, he's just so passive/agressive ! It's the worst ! At least people insulting you in the open are straight forward !

last edited at Jun 29, 2020 3:10PM

joined Jan 14, 2015

I'm just getting more confused. They're hiding it from the band members, but some of them know anyway? I might need to go back and reread, I'm getting the side characters all scrambled.

Their actual close band members and some friends know, but this seems like a larger music clubs gathering where not everyone knows them and they don't want to be out with everyone yet.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

"What're they doing down there ? Not even trying to hide it."

That's called being free and do whatever you want because you have the right to... Geez this one is starting to get on my nerves... there's nothing worse than someone who thinks that Lgbt people can exist as long as they don't show they exist.

If they hide, they don't publicly exist. this is both driscriminatory, reductive and selfish, you little sensitive brat.
Ghhuuu this character IS SO ANNOYING ! Worse of all, he's just so passive/agressive ! It's the worst ! At least people insulting you in the open are straight forward !

I mean, I don't really like this guy's attitude most of the time, but this comment of his really seems to be just him commenting on their surprising lack of awareness of their surroundings for a couple that clearly is trying to hide their relationship. I don't think he'd have any problem with this if they'd actually come out.

joined Nov 21, 2018

Yeah, I think Kan's comment is definitely more about them not being out to everyone they're with.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

It's a kinda upsetting manga because there's a clear lack of communication between these two. Everything would be much easier if they were honest with each other.

And it would put on the table if some members of the group have a problem with it. And it would put a stop to the advances of the glasses guy. Once you know where everyone stands, everything becomes much simpler.

last edited at Jun 30, 2020 2:51AM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

If this was a normal romcom for ladies instead of a yuri manga, Kan would totally be Miwa's fated love interest.

Rude, annoying, judgmental, thinks he's better than you, likes scolding you, likes explaining your flaws to everyone even when nobody asked him anything... the whole Tonoike Tazune package. It's always guys like that who are supposed to be good husband material. The leading lady's job is to mellow him out with her sunny cheerfulness and bring out the hidden tender & loving side of his heart... and, in fiction, it usually works like a charm. In reality, on the other hand, it tends to work more or less like it worked for Midori.

Thanks goodness this is a yuri manga and not a shoujo/josei romcom.

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

If this was a normal romcom for ladies instead of a yuri manga, Kan would totally be Miwa's fated love interest.

Rude, annoying, judgmental, thinks he's better than you, likes scolding you, likes explaining your flaws to everyone even when nobody asked him anything... the whole Tonoike Tazune package. It's always guys like that who are supposed to be good husband material. The leading lady's job is to mellow him out with her sunny cheerfulness and bring out the hidden tender & loving side of his heart... and, in fiction, it usually works like a charm. In reality, on the other hand, it tends to work more or less like it worked for Midori.

Thanks goodness this is a yuri manga and not a shoujo/josei romcom.

Oh shit! You are completely right about that, he even has a troubled upbringing that's hinted at which I'm sure would explain away his assholeness
Ugh all these recent chapters make me really worried about their relationship going forwards
I hope they can overcome this rough patch. Also I know Miwa is cute and approachable and all but holy shit did she fall into a vat of pheromones or something because it seems like every single dude is hungry for her

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Saeko : I'm not jealous
The others proceed to make her jealous as fuck

I lol'd at that one

joined Jan 14, 2015

Oh damn I was right, Kan is gay

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

Don't care about his sob story, asshole dude can gtfo.
(Spinoff with Usshi, please? She's fun.)

Pov_youre_a_triple_mugger
joined Feb 19, 2016

No, no, Saeko, I think you should ADDRESS YOUR RELATIONSHIP ISSUES FIRST

also Kan can go fucking die, I don't give a shit about his sob story

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

Wow, both of them are going too far trying to "fix" their weaknesses, Saeko trying to just not be jealous and Miwa trying to not rely on Saeko.

I think also being half out of the closet is not doing them any good, a lot of people know anyways. Miwa worries a lot about what other people think but being independent I think means knowing when to care and when not to. Easier said than done.

It's pretty bad that Miwa doesn't realize that Saeko is pretty hopelessly, desperately in love. Saeko's way of communicating that is physical, and Miwa is not seeing that at all.

last edited at Jul 2, 2020 2:16AM

joined May 1, 2013

This manga seems to strongly insist that Miwa is much more attractive than Saeko. I must respectfully disagree.

20180327_165604
joined Nov 9, 2017

Kan is a pretty garbage character. Any attempt to give him a sympathetic backstory fell completely flat.

joined Jun 12, 2019

Kan is an asshole. I hope saeko properly tells her pls :( communication is everything

whitenight2013
Tumblr_inline_o3faqeqbgs1s9j5kz_400
joined Mar 10, 2018

So are they going to talk, strip, or fight? Can't wait for the next chapter to find out.

To reply you must either login or sign up.