Forum › My Unrequited Love discussion

joined Jun 25, 2017

LESBIANS ARE COMING.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

joined Jul 26, 2019

It's not Uta's job to fix Kaoru's messy life.

Wouldn't you go help the girl you love? uta love kaoru is an emotion that can't be fake or hidden even if kaoru rejects the idea for the moment...
And then we must not forget that kaoru helped for many years uta who was literally abandoned by her family .

joined Jun 25, 2017

It's not Uta's job to fix Kaoru's messy life.

I don't think so either. But I also don't think this is what the author is trying to say. UTA naturally cares for Kaoru. TRULY. That's what real love is. And I don't believe Kaoru intentionally hurts Uta. In fact she truly tries to stay away... But I honestly believe Kaoru loves UTA, and it goes beyond sisters. I just also believe she needs to realize she isn't happy with Rei and needs to let that go. Aka she goes to the ONE person who her heart calls for when she's down. The one person who has also always been there for her (even as a child) UTA.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Considering all the trouble Uta coming home caused, I think the fact that her parents still openly ignore her angers me more than anything else.

I mean it's been something of a consistent refrain whenever they come up that their parents are actual garbage.

joined Jun 25, 2017

Gasps!!! Do we have new translators and editors for My Unrequited Love?

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

This is like the love drama equivalent of a horror manga. The monster is emotional neglect and all the characters are doing the wrong things trying to fight it.

Especially Uta getting the phone calls and Kaoru not answering, and her going to the apartment... That's literally a horror movie trope transposed into a drama.

46-75
joined Jun 25, 2019

Gasps!!! Do we have new translators and editors for My Unrequited Love?

No, ChaosTeam will continue to work on it.

Hino-san
joined Sep 4, 2014

Oh, and I forgot the classic horror trope - the characters become the monster... Reiichi maybe is such an emotional sinkhole because he grew up with parents who emotionally neglected him, completely unable and mostly unaware of how to support Kaoru... Kaoru becoming a mess a lot like her mom, not taking care of herself properly...

This is pretty fucked up, everyone is a trainwreck.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Oh, and I forgot the classic horror trope - the characters become the monster... Reiichi maybe is such an emotional sinkhole because he grew up with parents who emotionally neglected him, completely unable and mostly unaware of how to support Kaoru... Kaoru becoming a mess a lot like her mom, not taking care of herself properly...

This is pretty fucked up, everyone is a trainwreck.

We don't actually know if her mother didn't look after herself. In fact that last flashback suggested heavily that "I'm just overworked" was a cover for "I have a serious health problem with a fatal prognosis."

joined May 24, 2014

Considering all the trouble Uta coming home caused, I think the fact that her parents still openly ignore her angers me more than anything else.

Ignoring instead of pampering. God, they are HORRIBLE people!

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

@Michykat

I think I just turned that post of yours into comedy gold by saying "Lesbians are coming" in Ned Stark's voice.

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

Neglect is officially categorized as emotional abuse. Caring about their daughter's feelings is not pampering, it's what a normal humane parent should do.

Screen%20shot%202020-07-16%20at%209.34.01%20pm
joined Mar 25, 2020

this shit be fucked up, but i'm still willing to hang around and wait for new chapters to see how everything plays out. so far kaoru is a mess, uta still loves her for some reason, and rei is a biOtCH

joined Jul 26, 2016

Neglect is officially categorized as emotional abuse. Caring about their daughter's feelings is not pampering, it's what a normal humane parent should do.

Also worth noting that this same treatment was more or less what originally led Uta to, essentially, take refuge with Reiichi and Kaoru in the first place and it's strongly implied she was pretty much an emotional wreck at that point. By now she's apparently just... indifferent to her parents and they no longer appear to play any part whatsoever in her emotional needs (which seem to be instead met by Kuroe and staying in touch with R&K).

When a kid gets that profoundly alienated from their parents you know there's some seriously substandard parenting going on.

last edited at Apr 10, 2020 3:44PM

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

I agree with with your assessment, except I don't think Risako is in love with Kaoru I can see where that is coming from, but from a story stand point I don't think that's the case. This is supossedly a romance story, and no matter how messy a romance gets it suppose to have a happy ending. Reiichi is a good guy, if a bit dence he deserves a happy ending as well. So when the dust settles and Kaoru ends up with Uta, Risako is his happy endings. He obviously loves her but gave her up on her to be by Kaoru's side.

I've reread chapters 28-30 and I've change my mind. BugDevil is completely right. My theory was a product of months between chapters and my revisionist memory. God I hate when a lesbian character steals the man of the girl she likes. That strategy makes zero sense to me. In the end no one wins.

Who decided that romance is supposed to have a happy ending? That has never been a requirement, especially not paired with the Drama tag.

There is no hard and fast rule that romances have to end well. However they are generally the story of two people's paths converging into one and that is generally considered a happy event. The drama and aaangst tags usually mean that those paths are meandering full of obstacles and sometimes even lost for a while.

And what you are really saying here is a bit callous... Risako is Reiichi's happy ending? But she doesn't love him. You are taking away her agency for an imaginary happy end.

I didn't mean it like that. Over the couple months it took for these chapters to come out I forgot details like the scene where Risako nurses Kaoru, or Risako admitting she didn't like Reiichi. I just remembered Risako getting to know Reiichi the accepting his feelings. I had built a mental picture that both Reiichi and Risako gave up on each other for there mutual love and concern for Kaoru. And once Kaoru found happiness with Uta then they would go back to each other.

last edited at Apr 10, 2020 3:56PM

cakeEnthusiast
Capture
joined Mar 2, 2019

Why the hell do I keep coming back to this

Smug
joined Dec 16, 2015

So, there is a lot I can say about this manga: Too many side characters, generally poor pacing, stupid main characters, rather bad art...but I think adamatari says it best:

This is like the love drama equivalent of a horror manga. The monster is emotional neglect and all the characters are doing the wrong things trying to fight it.

Eivhbyw
joined Aug 26, 2018

I've reread chapters 28-30 and I've change my mind. BugDevil is completely right. My theory was a product of months between chapters and my revisionist memory. God I hate when a lesbian character steals the man of the girl she likes. That strategy makes zero sense to me. In the end no one wins.

In this scenario it was intended to be a sacrifice though. There was no other strategy involved than taking away the burden from Kaoru.

There is no hard and fast rule that romances have to end well. However they are generally the story of two people's paths converging into one and that is generally considered a happy event. The drama and aaangst tags usually mean that those paths are meandering full of obstacles and sometimes even lost for a while.

The thing is, especially for a story like this with many pairings, only one (usually the main pairing) has any narrative peer pressure to be happy by the end. The side-pairings can all flounder and fail, especially with drama.
Of course especially in Yuri and BL, shit can go for the bittersweet ending more often than in het romance. It's a tired trope of the genre.

I didn't mean it like that. Over the couple months it took for these chapters to come out I forgot details like the scene where Risako nurses Kaoru, or Risako admitting she didn't like Reiichi. I just remembered Risako getting to know Reiichi the accepting his feelings. I had built a mental picture that both Reiichi and Risako gave up on each other for there mutual love and concern for Kaoru. And once Kaoru found happiness with Uta then they would go back to each other.

Well I am glad that for once it was just a misunderstanding instead of one of your weird opinions and interpretations. I dont think I wanted to turn this topic into a longer discussion.

So, there is a lot I can say about this manga: ... rather bad art ...

Have you looked at your avatar? I guess there is no accounting for taste as they say.

last edited at Apr 10, 2020 4:45PM

joined Jul 26, 2019

So, there is a lot I can say about this manga: Too many side characters, generally poor pacing, stupid main characters, rather bad art...but I think adamatari says it best:

Given its success and longevity it would seem that many readers do not agree with you!

32104671_1715652908533240_2109611648586088448_n
joined Jul 30, 2015

Love the story at the moment.

joined Oct 17, 2018

Chaosteam you are the best mfkerz

Cv7t70_vyaagwe3
joined Nov 19, 2017

Reiichi stocks continue to plummet. It's been a long time since that injury/bridge encounter, but had there ever been anything to ever suggest that Reiichi had a legitimate reason to be there, with Risako, around Kaoru's birthday, instead of on a supposed "business trip"? Don't think there was even any bday present to show unless I missed a page somewhere.

The parents thing just seems like arbitrary drama created for the sake of drama. Meh.

Kaoru's maturity level seems to be going even more backward.

Speaks volume that she chose to call Uta instead of the useless husband. At the same time, I'm not happy that she called Uta. My impression was that she never properly resolved//come to terms /dealt with Uta's confession. Gee, but who else is she gonna call? Friends (obviously not Risako). Suicidal hotline. Some sort of emotional crisis hotline. Leaning on Uta is a safe strat, but at the same time it's just falling back into bad habits. All this dancing around and beating around the bushes is driving the readers bonkers.

joined Jan 17, 2020

Am I the only one who, deep down, just wants to see Risako and Kaoru having some very intense and angry sex.

+1

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Is this already finished or are we up to date with releases? And do people expect a generally happy end for our main pair? I seriously hope so..

I mean even more than I just want a nice yuri ending where Kaoru ends up with Uta, I just want Kaoru to have happiness- because she has been through so much shit in her life, and she is still young!

And except for a new start with someone who really loves her (like Uta) I dont see how she can end up happy.. her current situation seems too messed up to be able to become a good life for her.. I dont think she can just sit down and hash it all out with hubby and then all is well.. there's too much crap tied up in it all.

last edited at Apr 10, 2020 6:50PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I've been following the last five or so chapters with greater interest than before, so not that I have no respect for the story, but still. Am I the only one who, deep down, just wants to see Risako and Kaoru having some very intense and angry sex.

That would certainly be one of the more vivid and intense developments in the story so far.

To reply you must either login or sign up.