Forum › Hana Ni Arashi discussion

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

I like this manga but...why do they never kiss?

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

MacySan posted:

Because that'd be too gay.

New%20dynasty%20reader%20profile
joined Oct 22, 2018

Chidori would have a stroke and faint out of sheer embarrassment.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Near as I can decipher Igarashi originally intended to try and reconnect with Chidori, possibly even romantically, but clued in on there being something going on between her and Nanoha about as soon as the latter arrived on the scene - just about everything she says and does thereafter appears to be trying to feel out the nature of the relationship between the two. And once she gets her answers (in the most unambiguous terms possible to boot) she apparently resigns herself to the facts, bows out and quite noticeably proceeds to lie through her teeth about her past history with Chidori for the latter's benefit; the way she spins it seems calculated to wrap up as many loose ends, and pre-emptively defuse as many possible causes of tension, as possible in the circumstances to leave Chidori a clean slate with Nanoha.

We also never learn what she meant with those Valentine's chocos and that whole "mistake" line; apparently she summarily scuttled whatever plans she had to elaborate upon those as soon as she learned Chidori's now in a serious relationship.

Not like she'd be in much of a position to try and challenge Nanoha anyway. On top of the starting handicap she has due to her previous sour-note parting with Chidori she's implied to reside out of town nowadays (presumably for college or such) which would make serious participation in some kind of love triangle a bit of a logistical non-starter...

last edited at Aug 29, 2019 12:19PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

@random^. That's a pretty plausible reading, and I wouldn't be shocked if we were to eventually get evidence (i.e., Igarashi's POV) to support some or all of it.

The reason it's not my own first-order reading, though, is that Igarashi's shocked reaction to Nanoha's claim-staking announcement really seems to be genuine--"Y-you're dating, as in a relationship? But you're both girls? . . . You're really, / Truly dating?"

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/hana_ni_arashi_ch46#15

Either she's a consummate actress, or that expression says that it's the first time she's actually considered a real same-sex relationship, which would definitely rule out any romantic intent behind her return to school.

(And of course, as I seem to be saying ad nauseam, it makes those "more than friends" chocolates highly problematic.)

EDIT: Just to clarify the overall point, my read is that we're still getting contradictory signals and until we get something more definitive, it remains up in the air as to what Igarashi thinks she is/was up to in regard to Chidori.

last edited at Aug 29, 2019 12:44PM

Nuku_nuku_13
joined Aug 27, 2013

At least personally I found this arc to be weak. No actual resolution with growth for neither of the two people who could have used it (Chidori and Igarashi), and Nanoha ending up as an idiot white knight who burns down the entire closet because there's a bug in it, instead of trusting Chidori to take care of it herself.

Well there's 'trusting her to take care of it' and leaving your actual girlfriend to deal with such heartache all by herself...

So now that they've finally announced their relationship to someone don't you think it might be high time to stop keeping it a secret from your friends

I would not be surprised if all of them knew already.

Big plot twist! All their friends were hiding around the corner and heard every word!! lolz! And also: yeah they have known for quite a while now, I think...

Am I the only one that feels a bit sorry for Igarashi?

Well I can't speak for everyone else but I certainly don't. I would have done if she didn't decide to process her issues by being a selfish bitch.

Sorry for Igarashi? Yes as in 'Sorry you threw away your chance at happiness and now are all alone but you deserve it' sort of way... pity really.

I read Igarashi's last "but you're both girls" statement as her being amazed they managed to overcome this "obstacle" she got stuck on. More like a compliment than an insult, I think.

joined Jul 26, 2016

@random^. That's a pretty plausible reading, and I wouldn't be shocked if we were to eventually get evidence (i.e., Igarashi's POV) to support some or all of it.

The reason it's not my own first-order reading, though, is that Igarashi's shocked reaction to Nanoha's claim-staking announcement really seems to be genuine--"Y-you're dating, as in a relationship? But you're both girls? . . . You're really, / Truly dating?"

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/hana_ni_arashi_ch46#15

Either she's a consummate actress, or that expression says that it's the first time she's actually considered a real same-sex relationship, which would definitely rule out any romantic intent behind her return to school.

(And of course, as I seem to be saying ad nauseam, it makes those "more than friends" chocolates highly problematic.)

EDIT: Just to clarify the overall point, my read is that we're still getting contradictory signals and until we get something more definitive, it remains up in the air as to what Igarashi thinks she is/was up to in regard to Chidori.

Mind you, she could also just be flabbergasted by both Nano's brazen declaration and the bout of sitcom flirting/bickering that ensues... and ofc if she still had some faint hopes of restarting something with Chidori, well, she's probably experiencing a bit of a sinking feeling as the rug just got conclusively pulled from under those.
Somewhat uncertainly asking for an essentially redundant confirmation does not strike me as unreasonable behaviour for someone trying to hastily regain their bearings in such circumstances.

My interpretation of the way that following little sigh of hers and later quiet moment are framed is they're ones of resignation; "there's no room for me here anymore is there?" She then proceeds to apologize to Nano for her earlier probing and tells a few bald-faced lies to nip further drama in the bud before bailing; that reads to me like she can tell her ship's sailed for good and it's time to turn 360° andwalk away.

Guessing Chidori - who unlike Nanoha knows Igarashi was telling a pile of white lies - also rather wonders how much sempai originally intended to say but decided not to, though.

last edited at Aug 29, 2019 1:16PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Well, Igarashi seems to be both preternaturally insightful (Nanoha set off her alarms just by being Nanoha) and equally amazingly slow on the uptake--sempai should have gotten the "no room for you" message at the "Thanks/no thanks for the chocolates, now fuck off" encounter with Chidori way back when.

We seem to paying all our attention to the Maybe-Sad Maybe-Lesbian, but I want to take a moment to celebrate Nanoha, who was her characteristic way-cool + maladroit self (that 'Shut up' will probably need to be paid for, but she got the job done).

last edited at Aug 29, 2019 1:39PM

joined Jul 26, 2016

I reckon she was ultimately mainly uncertain and confused about a whole lot of things, and her dropping by on Chidori in no small part had the goal of trying to clarify things for both of them (AKA sort out her own feelings and try to clean up the mess she made of her relationship with her "cute kouhai").

...Nanoha's pretty bold when she knows she doesn't have to keep it a secret from everybody for a change, isn't she? :v

last edited at Aug 29, 2019 1:58PM

Ao3
joined Apr 23, 2019

What was the point of this character showing up?

joined May 1, 2013

MacySan posted:

Because that'd be too gay.

Sadly, this is legit the answer.

Applicationframehost_2018-12-19_14-19-07
joined Jul 23, 2017

So.... at least now they can move forward and actually tell people?

bruh what was this for

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

Either that or now they can have the bitter falling out.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I’m not sure why everybody is so anxious for them to spill the beans about their relationship—we’ve gotten all this world-class cute with them keeping it a secret so far.

What exactly would be so much better about the series if they were to come out (aside from for the “progress” fetishists, I mean)?

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

Also in that kind of series, unless it was specifically shown, when character reveals their secret in a corridor/whatever, there is never anyone present to overhear it, so I highly doubt anybody heard it.

joined Jul 26, 2016

What was the point of this character showing up?

so that we could bask in her magnificent hotnessshaking up the status quo a bit and obliging the main couple to do some self-reflection is my bet ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

C__data_users_defapps_appdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved%20images_lavender_town_screenshot
joined Dec 9, 2014

I really really doubt this will be the last time we see the "ex". She is probably here as a catalyst for them to be out.
Who knows what she will do with that information now.

Buzzstyle
joined Feb 10, 2013

It’s weird. I’m 46 chapters into this story and I feel like I don’t even know it yet. Every time I read a new chapter, I have to remind myself who the characters are and what the story is. Nothing about it is really memorable to me. And yet I keep reading it.

joined Dec 18, 2018

It’s weird. I’m 46 chapters into this story and I feel like I don’t even know it yet. Every time I read a new chapter, I have to remind myself who the characters are and what the story is. Nothing about it is really memorable to me. And yet I keep reading it.

Well tbh apart from the flashback chapters the first 32 chapters were more or less just cute fluffy yuri with no real plot. It seems that only in the past 15 chapters or so the story has actually began to develop.

Rimg0054
joined Aug 22, 2016

While I enjoy these discussions here and the attempts to justify/explain Igarashi's appearance (I personally take the stance of "nah, it's not quite over yet") I've gotta say...

NANOHA IS AWESOME!
She figured it out all on her own, and swooped in right at the perfect time (since she finished Chidori's sentence prolly heard her lover about to out herself/them, so plus points for their relationship) and claimed the stage ...and the girl.

There may be some talking necessary to fill in the gaps, but Nanoha did a great job there, recalling details, piecing things together and reading the mood.

IMO her "...no." after Igarashi's 'apology is a hint that while the bi--... senpai just managed to take the wind out her sails (by dropping the L-word) Nanoha has a strong feeling that she's lying.
The latter being emphazised to us by Igarashi remembering being touchy-touchy with a blushing Chidori as she keeps lyi-- continuing her narrative. Well, one line may have been truth: "I thought Chidori might be alone in the literature club..." I think most of us would agree that Igarashi (be it for romance or just meanie reasons) expected to find a lonely and forsaken Chidori...

So, yeah. As Blastaar pointed out, the Igarashi-plot is webbed through-out the whole story and I would be very surprised if it was resolved that casually. Am not expecting her back right away, but someday...

Also... I want a chapter from the friends-trio's POV. Preferably displaying them having it more or less figured out already and just not particularily caring (or maybe having a bet running about when and how they'll come out, who will slip up first, etc. - I imagine a whole betting-pool there). And constantly rolling their eyes while waiting for the couple to spill the beans already...

last edited at Aug 29, 2019 4:54PM

joined Mar 6, 2015

Nanoha: Oblivious lover trope that will lead to a misunderstanding arc? Not today!

Yuri Girl 1001 Uploader
Avitar
Fly by Yuri
joined Mar 29, 2013

Reminiscent of this, but just maybe better?

I gave her a figurative standing ovation.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Reminiscent of this, but just maybe better?

I gave her a figurative standing ovation.

Well, for me that’s one of the all-time great series, including maybe the best and most explicit non-gratuitous (not that there’s anything wrong with gratuitous, in its place) sexual-exploration scene. So its a pretty high bar.

But Nanoha was indeed awesome—I loved her follow-up expression as much or even more than the wonderful reveal scene.

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/hana_ni_arashi_ch46#13

That’s a girl who’s taking zero sempai shit, full stop.

joined Dec 30, 2018

Nanoha my girl, my legend gooooood job!

shadesofgreymoon
Swxj4ro
joined Jun 5, 2016

C'mon, clearly the real reason for showing up and pushing them to be out about the nature of their relationship is because senpai got tired of the "they're dating, and it's a secret" exposition every chapter.

To reply you must either login or sign up.