Forum › Motto Hanjuku Joshi discussion

Sandra2
joined Mar 22, 2013

sad, but amazing!

Sshot-8
joined Oct 25, 2011

aaaangst

joined May 20, 2013

The Drama tag of the original series would fit this sequel much better than Comedy...

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

So, when will Youko dump her boyfriend?
Also, I've been thinking this for some time, but this is a surprisingly SFW sequel for such a NSFW series.

And people already asked that, but what ever happened to the student/teacher couple?

joined Mar 28, 2019

That was some big downgrade. Did previous series and 1 year of dating not happen? Why the first chapter is about "you will surely get a boyfriend" and "but we are both girls"? That was pretty disappointing for first chapter of sequel.

Exactly, idk why all this boy talk is suddenly happening. But to be fair, she has written so many stories along the way and just finished a big anime project with Kunihiko Ikuhara a couple years back, so she might have forgotten where exactly in this story she left off in.

last edited at Apr 6, 2019 8:38PM

joined Mar 28, 2019

That Ayumi is the first love of Chitose... i bet!

No lmao she’s some new character thrown in to be Youko’s love interest

joined Mar 28, 2019

Bruh wtf? Am I the only one who thought this was messed up?

That Youko chick first confesses to our fluffy portag in middleschool but then deflects her own comment by using her BS "But we're both girls" jutsu then she meets the fluffy in present time and is like "yo sup gimme relationship advice bro, haven't seen you in years but whatevs, lemme braid your frecken hair man"

And SHE'S INTO THE male but not really male, female version of the protag???? Really????? That's such a crappy thing to do!?? And our protag is just like "meh whatevs". Am I missing something?

Omg I rofled out loud at this comment xD Yea at first I thought it was kind of insulting to Yae too, but in the recent chapters Youko realizes she was kind of wrong to say what she did to Yae and apologizes. I guess teenagers get confused about their sexuality because they don’t really grow up being educated about homosexuality.

But yeah lol I agree that it was sort of weird to jump into a relationship talk after years of meeting a former friend xD

last edited at Apr 6, 2019 9:00PM

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Okay. I have to say this.

BLARGHEMARGLE??????

What in the name of Creation is "blarghemargle"???

Ayumi, dear child, you really need to work on your onomatopoeia...

joined Mar 12, 2019

What? Is this really a sequel? Is she kidding me right now. May as well call this a “spin off” instead of a sequel. I don’t like these new characters at all, just your generic masculine girl and feminine girl-with-a-boyfriend drama eyeroll

I want more of Yae and Chitose :(

And yeah, like some people said, what kind of “friend” asks you directly about relationship advice and asks to braid your hair literally just after meeting after a long period of time?...

Makes no sense. All that development made in the original series, all thrown out the window like a cabbage cart. And I see most of you defend her for “being away for long” or “working on too many things,” but that’s no excuse. Artists or writers shouldn’t be as lazy to not be able to look up where they left off.

last edited at Apr 8, 2019 3:51AM

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

That was some big downgrade. Did previous series and 1 year of dating not happen? Why the first chapter is about "you will surely get a boyfriend" and "but we are both girls"? That was pretty disappointing for first chapter of sequel.

Exactly, idk why all this boy talk is suddenly happening. But to be fair, she has written so many stories along the way and just finished a big anime project with Kunihiko Ikuhara a couple years back, so she might have forgotten where exactly in this story she left off in.

I don't think the boy talk is a big regression in Yae and Chitose's relationship. Yae is just having a bit of a freakout about Chitose going to an all boy school, for a competition. Yae is worried Chitose will get around boys, and suddenly realise, that she is really straight, and that she was just playing a love game with Yae all along. I actually thought it was cute, the way Yae joined the fencing team to keep those horrible girlfriend stealing boys, away from her woman.

Are you missing, the sub plot about how Chitose and Yae are sexually frustrated, because they can't find the time to do it. There relationship is just fine. Well except they can't get no satisfaction. I think someone wrote a song about it, or something.

Nevri Uploader
Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

johnb posted:

I don't think the boy talk is a big regression in Yae and Chitose's relationship. Yae is just having a bit of a freakout about Chitose going to an all boy school, for a competition. Yae is worried Chitose will get around boys, and suddenly realise, that she is really straight, and that she was just playing a love game with Yae all along.

That's the entire issue.

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

TBF, I don't think Morishima ended Hanjuku Joshi planning a sequel. In her mind, it was wrapped up and there was nothing to add. And They Lived Happily Ever After.

But author proposes, editor disposes, so I guess she was coaxed into writing "something like her best selling series". Or she dusted off her old characters because she got inspired. So, in order to write that, she had to somehow introduce some new drama where there was none left.

And actually, she's been clever about this, because what she's writing about in this sequel is not so much about Yae and Chitose than about Youko and Ayumi. And maybe other girls.

So, the title being "More Soft-boiled Girls", can very well mean that it's more of a spin-off than a sequel, just using the characters of the previous series as a starter for other relationships.

I think the insecurities of Yae are given more importance than they really warrant. It's just a device. Nobody in their right mind, and surely not Morishima, thinks that they are going to break up because of a random faceless boy.

last edited at Apr 8, 2019 3:44PM

Shinobu%20cain%202
joined Aug 19, 2015

I also thought it was weird that they're back to worrying bout the other suddenly being into boys. It felt like a step back but I agree that it was done to move forward to the Youko x Ayu story.

Sadly, Youko being all close to Yae and asking for relationship advice after such a long while makes sense to me. They did meet up before and established that Yae was pretty into Chitose so I think Youko was able to clear out any awkwardness in her head. Yae did mention last time that Youko just kept acting friendly like the confession didn't happen. So, how she's acting makes sense. A bit weird but a person I was involved with is very similar to Youko and acts that way down to having a boyfriend and all.

BeehivesandCherries
joined Mar 27, 2019

What? Is this really a sequel? Is she kidding me right now. May as well call this a “spin off” instead of a sequel. I don’t like these new characters at all, just your generic masculine girl and feminine girl-with-a-boyfriend drama eyeroll

I want more of Yae and Chitose :(

And yeah, like some people said, what kind of “friend” asks you directly about relationship advice and asks to braid your hair literally just after meeting after a long period of time?...

Makes no sense. All that development made in the original series, all thrown out the window like a cabbage cart. And I see most of you defend her for “being away for long” or “working on too many things,” but that’s no excuse. Artists or writers shouldn’t be as lazy to not be able to look up where they left off.

Oh god why haven’t you been permabanned already.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

johnb posted:

I don't think the boy talk is a big regression in Yae and Chitose's relationship. Yae is just having a bit of a freakout about Chitose going to an all boy school, for a competition. Yae is worried Chitose will get around boys, and suddenly realise, that she is really straight, and that she was just playing a love game with Yae all along.

That's the entire issue.

I guess I see yout point. I just didn't get that impression, though. I think, the thought of Chitose being surrounded by boys, and Yae's friend's comments about girls from an all girl school having no tolerance to resist boys, was enough to awaken Yae's dormant insecurities.

P.S. My love games comment, was a poor choice of phrase. The original story, did establish that Chitose and Yae were well past thinking their relationship was just a love game. The scene at the pool, where Yae and Mari were talking about Yae not being jealous over the other girls clinging on Chitose, is one of my favorite yuri scenes, of all time.

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

the new couple came out of nowhere they literally pop out they weren´t properly intoruced or anything and now they´ll probably be the focus of the story

we literally don´t know anything about them so how are supose to care about them
i love hanjuku joshi is one of my favorite mangas of all time but i think making a sequel was probably a mistake

That's like saying the same about Yae and Chitose at the start of the original series... And considering Youko's involvement in that one, we may actually know more about the new couple than we knew about Yae and Chitose at this point in the original manga - and certainly more than we knew about the original's equally much loved secondary couple. We come to care about them more as we learn more, just as we did with the original characters, that's how it goes with any manga. And despite the somewhat weak start, as far I'm considered this series has improved a lot in the latest chapters, truly becoming the sequel the original deserved, especially with Yae finally having no negative feelings about her past and able to move on.

What we do need next is to see more of Youko's thoughts, though. We've seen the others, including Ayumi, but how Youko really sees her situation torn between Ayumi and her boyfriend is still mostly hidden.

S129
joined Aug 2, 2015

Oh wow, Youko is the worst and reminds me of every single straight girl that led me on in my life (so I might be extremely bitter to those types). Youko's wish-washy-ness of her feelings with both Yae and Ayumi just tells me that at the first sign of problems, she'd probably run away or go with the safer option (hence the beard ) and I think someone like Ayumi deserves better than to be the side thing that she is.

The Yae and Chitose thing will be fine, I feel like because of the prequel we know they'll be endgame. Chitose also has mentioned multiple times that she loves Yae the way she is and Chitose likes the way she is as well. Yae is just insecure about Chitose being in an environment she's never been in and might be too naive about it (i.e. guys hitting on her and doing something sketchy without her even realizing it). I do think it's kinda redundant since I feel like they've went over this multiple times in the prequel but what can ya do ¯_(ツ)_/¯

So when is the next chapter going to be?

Capturedsfdsss_x213
joined Mar 16, 2018

So, uh, okay.

joined Feb 23, 2016

Kase you can’t just go and say that straight up to a girl you barely knew..

Pee
joined Oct 1, 2014

Well... Okay.
I can't keep up with this.
It's just hurtful. I don't want to read sad yuri, I need happy yuri.

Yuriloveisbestlove
37cdda916e06996c5273d79dec6e6f7d%20(1)
joined Feb 15, 2019

So this took a turn, then the author got lost and came up with this weird love triangle, trapezoid thing?. Can we just go back to the two MCs now or maybe even reintroduce the teacher and delinquent girl please.

Tumblr_inline_o3faqeqbgs1s9j5kz_400
joined Mar 10, 2018

I have no idea what Chitose is doing here, but this is a hilarious twist, and I fully approve

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

I don't care about any of this tedious bullshit. I don't care about these new characters the author decided to just randomly shift the focus too. I don't care about this girl who is too selfish to stop jerking her friend around. I don't care about her friend who is too stupid to establish and defend her boundaries. This is boring.

Rosmontis
Nevrilicious Scans
joined Jun 5, 2015

This is such bait and switch. Clearly Morishima had no idea how to continue story, so she decided to write about different couple and that's fine. But instead of coming up with someone new, she first started writing about Yae and Chitose to give impression it's a sequel about them and to pick interest of people familiar with them, but in reality only used them as a springboard to reintroducing Yae's ex crush, who we're familiar with and supposedly would be interested in and build story about her love.

To reply you must either login or sign up.