Forum › Motto Hanjuku Joshi discussion

_20180228_203946
joined Jan 24, 2018

Chapter 5 be like Ooooooo dilemma! (Nelly/Kelly Rolland song pun intended... legit same dilemma in the film clip.... but just pretend Nelly is a girl...... like his name HAHA!) Anyway, I'm sure this problem will be resolved nice and smoothly by the next chapter, this is Hanjuku Joshi after all

last edited at Jan 30, 2019 12:28PM

joined Feb 23, 2016

She gave up quite fast i must say(๑╹ω╹๑ )

joined Apr 15, 2013

I mean, I gotta assume that Ayu said something else that was more harsh afterwards that we didn't get to see. Because otherwise that is some dumb bullsh*t.

joined Aug 22, 2016

“Stop flirting with me while you have a boyfriend”
“She said something horrible to me so I’m hanging out with my boyfriend instead”
This girl is peak levels of stupid.

Ayu knows about the boyfriend, so considering that she was aggressive with the flirting, even making Youko promise to spend the night with her, it is rather rotten to then throw the boyfriend in Youko's face all of a sudden. Ayu's negative response isn't because Youko has a boyfriend, it's because the situation is no longer on Ayu's terms. She's being selfish.

The text doesn't say Youko's hanging out with her boyfriend as if she just switched gears with her feelings. Going home with her boyfriend was a disappointment. And he likely knew Youko went to the event so it isn't weird that she'd contact him when it was over or for him to possibly be in the area on his own. The person Youko wanted to go home with was Ayu.

So many negative comments and while I understand some of it, and I agree that Youko needs to sort things out and ditch the guy already (For her own feelings, Ayu's, and the boyfriend's. I do feel bad for him because he did seem like a decent guy) I see Youko as someone coming to accept her sexuality after struggling to do so.

When younger Youko was flirty with Yae she likely was not understanding of what she was doing nor how Yae responded to it. When confronted with the reality of her orientation, when Yae asked her out, she got scared, rejected Yae and went out with a boy (not an unrealistic response).

In this chapter Youko essentially admits that had she been honest with her feelings back when Yae asked her out she may have accepted. And explains that now she wants to be honest with herself and with Ayu. Yae DECIDES to support and then openly encourages Youko to do so. Not surprising that Youko, who has repeatedly been assured by Yae that things are fine between them, to then reach out to her main supporter. Yes, I think Youko out of consideration should rethink reaching out to Yae. However Yae created the environment for Youko to feel comfortable reaching out to her.

The arguments in some posts here are similar to "She wasn't accepting of her sexuality when Yae wanted her! Screw her! Damn her! BURN HER!" I see a character that struggled with her sexuality, made some mistakes, and needs support (even if that means someone has to point out a harsh reality to her, that's still support). And has more or less reconciled with Yae. I mean "She hurt Yea so she should stay in the closet for the rest of her life! How dare she accept her sexuality and fall in love!" is just shaming homosexuality itself. (These are paraphrases)

The amusement park chapter in the prequel established that Yae had lingering feelings for Youko and this chapter reestablishes that. If she told Chitose that her feelings from that time and for Youko still remained, Chitose would be none too happy for this to happen a second time.

Even so, and even though hurt, Yae decided to support Youko. Some will project their own experiences onto the characters but I don't think that's fair.

last edited at Feb 1, 2019 3:10PM

Hana3
joined Mar 22, 2018

Sweet, sweet drama. I'm drinking it all up.

Morishima Akiko is so good at writing about feelings, especially during that time of life where a lot of us are just starting to develop some semblance of what our "self" actually is. While I want to jump in on the "Youko's kind of a moron" bandwagon, you have to keep in mind they're all teenagers, and they're all kind of stupid. Well, rather, they do and say stupid things (which to be fair, doesn't always change with age, haha), a lot of the time those things being hormone driven. I feel like Morishima really captured that in this chapter, much like how the first series did.

054cca77f1be90654f4f70db263a3822
joined Jun 30, 2018

These fools. The utter Baffoons. But not surpising since they are 16 year olds still learning about relationships and themselves so don't be too hard on these fictional idiots.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

I could not give less of a fuck about this pairing.

joined Jun 3, 2014

Harsh

Lol
joined Jan 2, 2018

Do I smell a thot?

Descarga%20(3)
joined Aug 10, 2015

Harsh

maybe but undestandable i mean i actually forgot that the manga was still going since for some reason motto hanjuku joshi deals with stuff that the prequel already solve like yae insecurities about being a girl that is in love with another girl the whole thing about her lingering feelings for youko and then sudenly yae is like you know what? forget it everythings is fine now
it´s like the author sundenly remember that the already wrote a 18 chapters manga about all of that and sudenly change the focus of the story to the new couple, that to be hones is kinda boring, i mean is kind of interesting from yae´s perspective for the whole "the girl that rejected me for being a girl is in love with a girl now" deal but at this point of the story is only natural for yae to be ok with it since she already deal withe her lingering feelings for youko and she´s really in love with chitose
the new couple came out of nowhere they literally pop out they weren´t properly intoruced or anything and now they´ll probably be the focus of the story

we literally don´t know anything about them so how are supose to care about them
i love hanjuku joshi is one of my favorite mangas of all time but i think making a sequel was probably a mistake

Flowers-le-volume-sur-ete-screenshot
joined Nov 22, 2018

what a dumb shit, you're literally just flirting with her and then when she likes you back you're suddenly going to bring up that she has a boyfriend? where the student x teacher couple at anyway? their screen time died for this new couple?

Dynav
joined Aug 6, 2013

Great chapter, wanna see the next one.

2641afdd-9dc4-4327-a1c3-a5b558c33522
joined Mar 12, 2014

I really liked this small twist at the end, I get bored with the easy resolution of the two side characters getting together after a pep talk from the MC

I didn't want Yae to get over Youko so quickly though, I think that would've been good drama as how often do you see your childhood crush who turned you down look as if they're flirting with a taller version of you and still also have a boyfriend - so many fun levels of fucked up there - but instead that's been pushed aside and now Yae is fine with it? Booring

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I didn't want Yae to get over Youko so quickly though, I think that would've been good drama as how often do you see your childhood crush who turned you down look as if they're flirting with a taller version of you and still also have a boyfriend - so many fun levels of fucked up there - but instead that's been pushed aside and now Yae is fine with it? Booring

Sorry, no. (Actually, if you think it’s boring, it’s boring to you—I get that.) But if there’s anything certain in this crazy mixed-up space-time continuum, it’s that if Yae has a problem, the solution is Chitose, and if Chitose has a problem, the solution is Yae. That’s just science.

So either one or both may encounter a problem. But not for long.

joined Dec 3, 2018

Youko is definitely the worst character in this series.

Cs4_cover
joined Jul 13, 2015

The couple is getting more charming.

Utenaanthy01
joined Aug 4, 2018

Ayu knows about the boyfriend, so considering that she was aggressive with the flirting, even making Youko promise to spend the night with her, it is rather rotten to then throw the boyfriend in Youko's face all of a sudden. Ayu's negative response isn't because Youko has a boyfriend, it's because the situation is no longer on Ayu's terms. She's being selfish.

The text doesn't say Youko's hanging out with her boyfriend as if she just switched gears with her feelings. Going home with her boyfriend was a disappointment. And he likely knew Youko went to the event so it isn't weird that she'd contact him when it was over or for him to possibly be in the area on his own. The person Youko wanted to go home with was Ayu.

So many negative comments and while I understand some of it, and I agree that Youko needs to sort things out and ditch the guy already (For her own feelings, Ayu's, and the boyfriend's. I do feel bad for him because he did seem like a decent guy) I see Youko as someone coming to accept her sexuality after struggling to do so.

When younger Youko was flirty with Yae, likely not understanding what she was doing nor how Yae responded to it. When confronted with the reality of her orientation, when Yae asked her out, she got scared, rejected Yae and went out with a boy (not an unrealistic response).

In this chapter Youko essentially admits that had she been honest with her feelings back when Yae asked her out she may have accepted. And explains that now she wants to be honest with herself and with Youko. Yae DECIDES to support and then openly encourages Youko to do so. Not surprising that Youko, who has repeatedly been assured by Yae that things are fine between them, to then reach out to her main supporter. Yes, I think Youko out of consideration should rethink reaching out to Yae. However Yae created the environment for Youko to feel comfortable reaching out to her.

The argument in some posts here is similar to "She wasn't accepting of her sexuality when Yae wanted her! Screw her! Damn her! BURN HER!" I see a character that struggled with her sexuality, made some mistakes, and needs support (even if that means someone has to point out a harsh reality to her, that's still support). And has more or less reconciled with Yae. I mean "She hurt Yea so she should stay in the closet for the rest of her life! How dare she accept her sexuality and fall in love!" is just shaming homosexuality itself. (These are paraphrases)

The amusement park chapter in the prequel established that Yae had lingering feelings for Youko and this chapter reestablishes that. If she told Chitose how much she was bothered by seeing Youko falling in love with another girl Chitose would be none too happy for this to happen a second time.

Even so, and even though hurt, Yae decided to support Youko. We can project our own experiences onto the characters but I don't think that's fair.

That was a great analysis of the situation. I have nothing to add. Good job!

Btw, to those of you who didn't get it: it should be obvious that the big fight and the horrible things to say came AFTER Ayu made that comment about Youko's boyfriend. Morishima-sama just didn't feel like drawing it, and, frankly, I think she did the right thing (we didn't really need the scene).

52722-l
joined Nov 8, 2017

Ouch.

joined Sep 21, 2013

That Ayumi is the first love of Chitose... i bet!

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

Youko kinda just sucks as a person.

joined Apr 6, 2013

Youko kinda just sucks as a person.

Nah, she just fickle

20180327_165604
joined Nov 9, 2017

Holy shit, these two are beyond stupid.

C2731dea4191b182ecd8f18498562a84
joined Sep 1, 2017

(sigh) So we have to wait for another chapter, to see how this side story pans out? It's cute but... I wonder what Mari and Ran are up to. I hope Morishima Akiko doesn't leave them out.

last edited at Apr 6, 2019 2:44AM

joined Feb 23, 2016

I kinda forgot about this... but now i want more... because i need too see how it goes!!

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

aaaangst

To reply you must either login or sign up.