Forum › Miss Sunflower discussion

Fwerpng
joined Jul 25, 2017

I think the joke at the end of this chapter can be made to work in English. Some possibliities:

We toss around a bunch of different versions and suggestions for lines like this. In this case, I feel like no one phrase in English, on its own, really captures the meaning clearly enough. Because it's a kind of important line, we just keep it as something simple and readable and use the annotation to make sure that, in the end, it can be accurately understood by everyone.

I think your first suggestions is for sure a viable one to put in to the text in terms of how it reads aloud, but for things like that there becomes another concern of how well ESL readers can comprehend it when we get a bit too bendy with grammar and punctuation.

last edited at May 2, 2021 7:21AM

TifalovesAerith
joined May 7, 2017

"yuri" tag here baffles me, even one-sided latest chapter even implies otherwise

last edited at Oct 18, 2017 8:05AM

Tumblr_inline_oxf1gj0pl71rjsbp5_400
joined Jun 23, 2017

"yuri" tag here baffles me, even one-sided latest chapter even implies otherwise

I think it has already been explained that you only need one party to have romantic feelings toward a girl?

Matsuri's clearly in love/admiration to Himawari, whether it's puppy love or not, we'll just have to wait to know. I want to believe they'll be something more between the two, it's just going to be slow and subtle, just like this :

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/miss_sunflower_ch13#16
This sort of stuff could be Amber Teahouse just as easily. Clearly not complete indifference at least.

If you look at other stuff from the author, there is yuri there, so it's still a possibility for this series!

last edited at Oct 18, 2017 8:59AM

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

If you look at other stuff from the author, there is yuri there, so it's still a possibility for this series!

I'm frankly not "worried" (if such a thing can be applied to manga predictions). Like I said, I think this will end similarly to Amber Teahouse, with Matsuri working for the book store permanently, or otherwise doing something related to literature. And there isn't even a hint of either of them being interested in anything else, so it all seems in the clear to me ...

Of course, whether anything actually happens can't truly be predicted. Japanese like their open ends, even if somewhat less in anime/manga than in literature. But it might very well stay somewhat ambiguous. And there is obviously also the danger of it getting canceled for not being some generic harem rubbish and getting a random crappy non-end.

But I don't think even then I'd care much. They are cute the way they are. This is not a read I expect any fast-paced developments or dramatic twists from. It's calm and slow-paced and good as it is.

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

I think the joke at the end of this chapter can be made to work in English. Some possibliities:

Hi! As part of working out what gets typed into the script we toss around a bunch of different versions and suggestions for lines like this. In this case, I feel like no one phrase in English, on its own, really captures the meaning clearly enough. Because it's a kind of important line, we just keep it as something simple and readable and use the annotation to make sure that, in the end, it can be accurately understood by everyone.

I think your first suggestions is for sure a viable one to put in to the text in terms of how it reads aloud, but for things like that there becomes another concern of how well ESL readers can comprehend it when we get a bit too bendy with grammar and punctuation.

As a serial TL/N waffler, I wrote a longer explanation about what I think about situations like this. Please have a look if you are interested. Thanks.
https://twitter.com/chinomeri_/status/920342641530646528

Interesting essay. Thanks. Traduttore, Traditore. :)

There's a book called "Haruki Murakami and the Music of Words" by Jay Rubin, who's translated a number of Murakami's novels. The last chapter of this book discusses translation into English:

The Japanese language is so different from English ... that true literal translation is impossible, and the translator's subjective processing is inevitably going to play a large part. That processing is a good thing; it involves a continual critical questioning of the meaning of the text. The last thing you want is a translator who believes he or she is a totally passive medium for transferring one set of grammatical structure into another.

I like "overconfident" translators, but I still appreciate the work you do.

joined Jun 23, 2017

I'm too lazy to look through the entire thread. But if you would be so kind, could one of you tell me if, when she says "I love you", Matsuki says daisuki or aishiteru?

As in, is she really serious or just admiring... Well, I think that I have 35 chapters that prove she is somewhat serious about her feelings, but still.

Edit Forgot how Miss Sunflower is the sweetest young lady ever. Good catch Matsuri.

last edited at Dec 22, 2017 8:28AM

Fwerpng
joined Jul 25, 2017

I'm too lazy to look through the entire thread. But if you would be so kind, could one of you tell me if, when she says "I love you", Matsuki says daisuki or aishiteru?

Matsuri usually calls out 'daisuki' or 'suki da'. I don't remember if she says aishiteru anywhere.

joined Jun 23, 2017

Thanks! So it's not something that defines her entire being or whatever, I guess it's obvious when you think about it, but I was curious.

last edited at Dec 22, 2017 2:24PM

Parnifia the Bastard
Chrome_2018-04-13_12-33-32-min%20(3)
joined Aug 4, 2014

It's so weird, reading the artist talk about her editors Takahashi and Ooyama at the end of volumes and knowing they're the same people Haruno Tomoya has drawn himself talking to in the D-Frag tankoubons.

Lawn
joined Jan 11, 2018

Nice to see this one again!

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Incest

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Matsuri usually calls out 'daisuki' or 'suki da'. I don't remember if she says aishiteru anywhere.

not to get too far into the weeds but does she say (--) no koto ga suki da or koto ga daisuki da?

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/miss_sunflower_ch37#25

Why is this listed under volume 4? Everything since at least chapter 35 should all be under a new volume.

joined Apr 12, 2015

"Siscon, both of them." I cackled. It's kinda true though, more so on Fuuko's side, I think.

Images%20(2)
joined Feb 9, 2016

Himawari san's updateee wiiiii, ureshiiiii ~ ^-^/

Mask
joined Jan 6, 2015

So cute~
Sometimes I get impatient for the story to progress, but I still really love the cute filler bits with the other characters.

20180327_165604
joined Nov 9, 2017

Part of me thinks this should be tagged as subtext, but if it had been tagged as such, I probably would never have read it and I'd hate for anyone to miss out on it for that kind of reason.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Part of me thinks this should be tagged as subtext, but if it had been tagged as such, I probably would never have read it and I'd hate for anyone to miss out on it for that kind of reason.

As far as Matsuri is concerned, it’s love, full stop. And that’s good enough for me.

I like how recent chapters (I haven’t re-read the whole thing lately) vary the perspective so that the height difference of the MCs doesn’t always seem so large. Like in the middle of this page:

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/miss_sunflower_ch37#18

Matsuri’s clothes, while still cute, also seem a little more grown-up these days.

I think we know exactly where this is going over the long haul. The real question for me is: who’s on top?

joined Jun 23, 2017

I want my full blown romance of a teenage girl helping a young lost adult to find herself again :'(

But I guess Himawari returning the feelings will be end game or won't happen ever... The author did some nice age gap one shot, so I'm still hope (realising I already wrote something similar months ago).

Rosenakahara
Jackavi
joined Feb 23, 2014

I want my full blown romance of a teenage girl helping a young lost adult to find herself again :'(

Same tbh, the idea of that is still super interesting to me
too bad that isn't what we're getting

Bgs_icon-small
joined Apr 11, 2018

I know this has been said before, I really feel like this should have the "subtext" tag.
Even with the declaration of love, we don't see anything other than strong friendship.

last edited at May 26, 2018 1:25PM

Sin%20t%c3%adtulo
joined Apr 24, 2014

This story is so sweet and cute ❤
Saw the notification and had to reread everything. Love it :)

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

I don't suppose any group are gonna sub the drama cds?

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

Kayano Ai <3.. who are the other cvs?? Can't read kanji/japanese

ArakawaAyumu
joined Jul 7, 2017

Kayano Ai <3.. who are the other cvs?? Can't read kanji/japanese

Horie Yui, Morikawa Toshiyuki, Komatsu Mikako, Aoi Yuki

To reply you must either login or sign up.