Forum › Miss Sunflower discussion

Alice Cheshire Moderator
Dynasty_misc015
joined Nov 7, 2014

CozyCreature12 posted:

My rule: Yuri must be Yuri, het must be het, Yaoi must be Yaoi, any of those can't get mixed because they're very different...
That count even the brother is trolling his sister

So are you saying Girl Friends can't be yuri because Mari spends an entire volume forcing herself to date a guy and trying to get over her feelings for Akko? Cause that just seems like incredibly moronic logic, at best, to me.

joined Jun 12, 2015

CozyCreature12 posted:

My rule: Yuri must be Yuri, het must be het, Yaoi must be Yaoi, any of those can't get mixed because they're very different...

So are you saying Girl Friends can't be yuri because Mari spends an entire volume forcing herself to date a guy and trying to get over her feelings for Akko? Cause that just seems like incredibly moronic logic, at best, to me.

Nah, it's not Yuri because Morigana Milk have done het before, thus she is impure and can't do pure Yuri anymore

Image62
joined Feb 28, 2015

That part of Girl Friends was terrible and boring even if it was yuri. This manga was good 3-4 years ago but it stayed there without any development and turned to boring.But main character is really good

joined Jul 26, 2016

“Genre-apartheid dogmatism”

That’s good. That’s very good.

I mean their stance just about boils down to "any Yuri work that includes positive interaction between the sexes will be investigated for genre Mischblut, ja!" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^^
The chapter with the guy isnt 'boring' how would any fan of yuri be 'bored' when it seems like of the main girls is dating a guy because of a misunderstanding and miscommunication? You might not like those bits, even tho it's clear Mari isnt into it and its not going anywhere- but it still makes you tense and maybe upset the first time.

Bored = dont care, and we CARED she dumped him asap!

Also- this manga has had PLENTY of developments- just not many big ones or many yuri ones. Not every type of story needs those you know- there are plenty- say MSGM - or Aria - where they are happy to just trundle along, slowly developing characters and their interactions. Now if YOU find slow works boring thats one thing, but it does NOT make them boring. If it was objectively boring nobody would by it and it wouldnt have 10+ volumes.

last edited at Mar 1, 2019 9:50AM

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

CozyCreature12 posted:

Gotta agree- super moronic. Some of the best yuri has guys in- even guys getting in the way- shock.
If you limit that pathetic definition as to the only yuri you read or watch you WILL miss out on like more than half of all the great yuri out there.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

CozyCreature12 posted:

Gotta agree- super moronic. Some of the best yuri has guys in- even guys getting in the way- shock.
If you limit that pathetic definition as to the only yuri you read or watch you WILL miss out on like more than half of all the great yuri out there.

Of course (it should go without saying), everybody's free to like whatever they like, and to have any story element at all be a dealbreaker for their own enjoyment.

But to go around making demands that tags be changed to fit your own very idiosyncratic genre definitions and to go into the forum of every series you read decrying every hint of things that might (if your Nostradamus predictions turn out to be true) trigger your unhappiness, well, at best that's just kind of delusional.

joined Jul 26, 2016

There's also the minor matter that putting your opinion out on a public forum comes with the automatic disclaimer that it may be read by people who disagree with it and have equal right to say as much - and if they find it ball-punchingly stupid some are likely say mean things about it too.
#selfdemonstrating

Also people tend to get annoyed if you try to insist your particular crank interpretation should form the baseline for evaluation already due to the sheer towering hubris of it.

Together_forever
joined Jul 6, 2013

Jelly Miss Sunflower pouting is just too cute.

Theres%20nothig%20but%20trash%20here
joined Feb 17, 2013

So I don't post much but this weird nonsense prompted me to speak...

Namely apparently I'm not a lesbian anymore because I'm "impure" since I was with men when I was younger and didn't understand my sexuality.

That narrative is incredibly damaging to young lesbians trying to figure out their sexuality and you might want to reconsider your baggage with the issue.

I hate non-happy end Yuri as much as the next gay gal but shit like ^^^^^ that is why it took me until I was in my late 20s to realize I was a lesbian.

Untitled
joined May 2, 2018

It's alive?! Reread time I guess...

last edited at Jan 6, 2020 4:47PM

joined Jun 7, 2019

can someone tell me if Himawari-san and the mc at least give each other a kiss later? because the plot goes veeery slow :(

Madoromicloseup
joined Mar 6, 2018

Yeeeeeeeessssssss! It's back, it's back, it's finally back! I've been waiting so long to see how their story continues!

BlurredExistence
Blurred
joined Jan 31, 2013

Yeeeeeeeessssssss! It's back, it's back, it's finally back! I've been waiting so long to see how their story continues!

I know that feel! Why does this take soooooo long between chapters?!! = (

Capy%20white
joined Mar 21, 2019

Yesssss more Himawari-san. I'm so happy!~

This panel summed up my reaction to seeing a new chapter perfectly!

Also my goodness Himawari-san looks so adorable with her hair up.

last edited at Jan 6, 2020 5:51PM

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

I was just wondering a couple of hours ago if this had been abandoned. So glad it’s not.

As expected, Onii-san’s “date” was designed as a shipping aid.

I’m a little surprised that Matsuri is so dense that she thinks Himawari-san only thinks of her as a customer. (Although I should never be surprised at Matsuri being dense). She’s been Miss Sunflower’s assistant, Miss S. has tutored her, they’ve exchanged Christmas gifts, etc.

I know people get frustrated at the slowness of the burn and the ambiguity of the relationship, but to me, in the right hands stories about kind, good-hearted, but not-exactly-in-touch-their-own-feelings people (whether through shyness, cluelessness, or whatever) are golden.

And this is one of them.

Madoromicloseup
joined Mar 6, 2018

^ Absolutely!

And watching Miss Sunflower slowly open up and bloom for the sunbeam that is Matsuri is the driving force of this story. And one I personally enjoy.

last edited at Jan 6, 2020 6:28PM

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

It's still ongoing in Japan? I would love to see the Raws.

Z75
joined Jan 3, 2020

Talk about a series I didn't expect to see today...

Tumblr_3d1efdc4f3fb1ee16acd2f13f08afe0c_1e0d545a_12802
joined Mar 8, 2014

Finally! Some progress!! Oh. My. God, been reading this since I was 14, FOURTEEN, I'm 22 now, it's been so freaking long, I didn't even know I liked girls back then. It kind of takes me back, I guess I'm still the same I was back then in a way haha
I was starting to think Himawari-san wasn't going to respond to Matsuri's feelings. I really hope she does!

last edited at Jan 6, 2020 8:03PM

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

Wow- not only some progress, but I can't get over miss sunflowers legs on 22! I think this is the first time we've seen her look her age!

I hope this chapter is built on. I knew that was her diary - wonder what she was writing about Matsuri that was so embarrassing to have her brother read? Are they actually both gonna at least a LITTLE, open up to each other now?

Also, I agree it was obvious the 'date' was NOT gonna be matsuri falling for niichan. She sees thru him, and has zero interest in anyone not his sister lol.

last edited at Jan 6, 2020 8:16PM

Untitle435ed34qwrqwd
joined May 15, 2014

Finally! Some progress!! Oh. My. God, been reading this since I was 14, FOURTEEN, I'm 22 now, it's been so freaking long, I didn't even know I liked girls back then. It kind of takes me back, I guess I'm still the same I was back then in a way haha
I was starting to think Himawari-san wasn't going to respond to Matsuri's feelings. I really hope she does!

I didnt even know I was a girl back then XD

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

Progress!

I feel like them actually talking about their relationship is the start of the end game.

I'm guessing that we're gonna see some drama about different kinds of love. I wouldn't be surprised if there's no resolution until a time skip happens

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Also, I agree it was obvious the 'date' was NOT gonna be matsuri falling for niichan. She sees thru him, and has zero interest in anyone not his sister lol.

To be fair to him, though, it’s not like he’s trying to hide very much. Sure, he’s a snarkmeister, and like any big brother he knows how to push his sister’s buttons, but he’s genuinely caring about both her and Matsuri.

Matsuri and Himawari-san are lucky to have both Nii-san and Ayame gently herding them toward each other. (Not to mention most of the shopkeepers and book-readers in the neighborhood sending good vibes their way.)

Yuriprofilepiccropped
joined May 27, 2019

I didnt even know I was a girl back then XD

Same!

To reply you must either login or sign up.