Forum › Miss Sunflower discussion

lord-of-roses
Ce1
joined Apr 11, 2016

I'd buy a Matsuri-chan book.
But now I really need to get that Drama CD.
(PS maybe even an anime for this...)

Sol
joined Feb 25, 2016

I hope this gets an anime. This was one of my favourite series when it was releasing chapters consistently (one a month) and I really like the cast list so I’m begging for an adaption.

AnimexObsession
Screenshot%20(107)
joined Dec 27, 2014

Even if it ends up subtext, in my mind they'll have a long happy sunny gay future together

690ea2d43c833a395aa79e98116d8d2f
joined Apr 15, 2018

Drama CD :DD!!!

joined Aug 23, 2018

Still as sweet as ever, but honestly, it's never going to go anywhere on the romance department really, is it?

Honestly I think you will get romance for sure, but I don't think you get the Yuri kind. Maybe It's just me but I wouldn't be surprised if at the end their is a time jump and Matsuri and Himawari's brother Kaoru are married, I don't know just have that feeling. Could be way off base though. But I'm standing by what i think will happen at the end that Himawari falls in love with a guy and gets married, and hands over the shop over to Matsuri to become the new Miss Sunflower.

I think Matsuri and Himawari thing is just more admiration then out and out love in my opinion (but it's all in the eye of the reader what they think it is), a bit like Himawari's with her Miss Sunflower. I thought for a while that Kauro's female friend they met at the spa was going to be the love rival to Matsuri for Himawari's affections but I doubt that go anywhere. But No I don't see Matsuri and Himawari going anywhere as a romance.

But I've enjoyed it so far as it had the same tone as one of my favorite's Maria Watches Over Us.

Dynasty%20avatar
joined Apr 1, 2018

Still as sweet as ever, but honestly, it's never going to go anywhere on the romance department really, is it?

Honestly I think you will get romance for sure, but I don't think you get the Yuri kind. Maybe It's just me but I wouldn't be surprised if at the end their is a time jump and Matsuri and Himawari's brother Kaoru are married, I don't know just have that feeling. Could be way off base though. But I'm standing by what i think will happen at the end that Himawari falls in love with a guy and gets married, and hands over the shop over to Matsuri to become the new Miss Sunflower.

I think Matsuri and Himawari thing is just more admiration then out and out love in my opinion (but it's all in the eye of the reader what they think it is), a bit like Himawari's with her Miss Sunflower. I thought for a while that Kauro's female friend they met at the spa was going to be the love rival to Matsuri for Himawari's affections but I doubt that go anywhere. But No I don't see Matsuri and Himawari going anywhere as a romance.

But I've enjoyed it so far as it had the same tone as one of my favorite's Maria Watches Over Us.

not gonna get much support on here lol and none from me ether =b

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

Wooo, chapter! And a nice one. Pouting Himawari-san, heh' ...

joined Jul 26, 2016

Troll nii-san trolls again lmao

Img_8812564559060
joined Oct 6, 2015

Great..make her jealous..xD

Rps20190516_131448
joined Feb 8, 2019

Good work there Onii-san, Himawari-san needs to get jealous so she realize what she really think/feels of Matsuri. I was getting a little bored with the fact that she only showed interest in the old Himawari-san while Matsuri said a lot of times that she loved her. I hope we get more chapters soon

joined Jul 26, 2016

Are you people sure about this work is Yuri? Is more like a common subtext. I suggest the tag if in 2 chapters more it doesn't appear any noticeable advance

That's a bizarrely specific number for a series that's at 38 chapters and counting.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Matsuri is in love with Himawari-san. We know this because she says so, out loud, in public, all the time.

(She also acts like it, just in case anyone thinks she's faking it).

Full stop.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Besides, what exactly means the Himawari's brother about a date? Does he mean a date between him and Matsuri or between Matsuri and Himawari? I hope the second, It could be very disappointed if this going to be het
(And of course I will get very V.E.R.Y angry if that happens)

You might as well go away now--this story is never going to satisfy your rarified and exquisitely tuned yuri palate.

As others have pointed out, Himawari-san's brother loves to troll his sister, and he has been low-key shipping the two of them (in his own ironic way) for some time. He may actually take Matsuri on date. But only a . . . (I was going to say "moron," but that would be rude) very, very small-minded person would define that as the series "going het."

Untitle435ed34qwrqwd
joined May 15, 2014

Are you people sure about this work is Yuri? Is more like a common subtext. I suggest the tag if in 2 chapters more it doesn't appear any noticeable advance

if it makes you feel better, this is being published as a yuri manga

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Forget it, folks—this is the implacable Grand Inquisitor of Yuri Manga:

“Truly I say unto you that it is easier for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle than it is for a story to earn the title of ‘yuri.’ And if it even contains a male character?—fuggedaboutit.”

Hana3
joined Mar 22, 2018

whispers I feel like it has grown in strength the more it gets responded to.

That little pout Himawari-san gives because of her brother's date comment at the end there is really cute. Almost like she's jealous he gets to go on a date with Matsuri instead of her. Because she likes her.

Tumblr_inline_o3faqeqbgs1s9j5kz_400
joined Mar 10, 2018

Good job Onii-san. Way to shake up the status quo.

Ce1
joined Apr 11, 2016

[Cries] It's been 84 years...
Good to see Himawari getting even a little jealous over Matsuri. That means we hot some progress

Ykn1
joined Dec 20, 2018

That little pout Himawari-san gives because of her brother's date comment at the end there is really cute. Almost like she's jealous he gets to go on a date with Matsuri instead of her. Because she likes her.

It's not even just that. She spends most of her time in the chapter rather jealous/possessive. Sure, she may have some excuse with her objection to her brother using Matsuri as a model for his book, but that does not quite explain getting in the way of Matsuri taking his photo.

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^^ Matsuri WILL go with miss sunflowers brother- but it is NOT a 'DATE' DATE - In Japan they often call almost any trip out a date- and Matsuri 100% ONLY sees miss sunflower. She likes her brother the same way she likes everyone who isnt miss sunflower and brother is playing / interfering - probably for Miss sunflowers benefit - even if she wouldnt want him to.

Also- not ALL manga have to be about romance and hooking characters up. It can still be a great read with great characters if they leave unresolved- maybe the author never set out to make a yuri manga? Manga don't have to be yuri to be good! (Ofcourse we WANT them to hook up- but its not some kinda failure if they don't).

BUT I can 100% assure you- they will still be together in the end- and Matsuri has zero chance of hooking up with anyone else!

ps

Miss sunflower sure acted jealous a lot in this chapter also-

Who thinks brother looked in her diary? Is that why he asked for the 'date' - he read something in it? or just because he knows them both and how they are and wants to move things forward anyway? If he didnt at least peek in it, I dont know why they bothered to show it?

last edited at Feb 28, 2019 6:14AM

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

If he didnt at least peek in it, I dont know why they bothered to show it?

Yes, that definitely was a Chekhov moment. In a year or two we'll know the answer.

joined Jul 26, 2016

Forget it, folks—this is the implacable Grand Inquisitor of Yuri Manga:

“Truly I say unto you that it is easier for a camel to fit through the eye of a needle than it is for a story to earn the title of ‘yuri.’ And if it even contains a male character?—fuggedaboutit.”

Only the Inquisition (or more properly Inquisitions; one was set up to cover a specified region as needed and was quite separate from others of its kind elsewhere) actually had, and mostly stuck to, pretty stringent rules about proof and evidence. Which is incidentally why they tended to take a very dim view of witch-hunts as mere superstitious hysteria.

Meh I don't care, judge me what you want, I have my favorites works here, anyway this story I did only read it 7 chapters and I got bored after that...so with this happened I'm choosing very carefully what I read, etc.
My rule: Yuri must be Yuri, het must be het, Yaoi must be Yaoi, any of those can't get mixed because they're very different...
That count even the brother is trolling his sister
Besides, with more of 30 chapters and no noticeable advance, I suggest a reconsider of tag
Yuri Crush Subtext

Your bizarre genre-apartheid dogmatism aside you're literally and glaringly contradicting yourself here. If you dropped this - deliberately slow-burn, one might add - series after mere 7 chapters (emphasis added to quote above) then what can you possibly even KNOW about where the narrative stands at over five times that number, and why exactly do you think you're still at all qualified to pass judgement on what tags it should/n't have?
Or for that matter, that you're at all relevant to the discussion in the first place?

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

“Genre-apartheid dogmatism”

That’s good. That’s very good.

Actually, this chapter really is a bit of a major moment in (as has been said before) a very low-key, slow-burn story that’s been all the more charming for those very qualities.

It’s been obvious for, like, forever, that Himawari-san cares deeply for Matsuri, and also that she consistently tries to not think very hard about the nature of those feelings.

We’ve also known that the actual age gap between the two isn’t all that great; it just seems a bit extreme because Matsuri comes off as rather immature and Himawari-san has an affect that’s considerably older than she actually is. The chapter does, after all, start with the assertion that Matsuri is growing up. . .

Himawari-san’s pique at her brother could just be a bit of friend-jealousy at someone else taking Matsuri’s attention multiplied by their characteristic sibling banter/tension, so it will be interesting to see what happens next. (And if I recall correctly, Ayame has a bit of a thing for Himawari but also ships H/M because, like all who know the bookstore owner, she’s pleased that Matsuri has helped to open up Himawari-san emotionally. So some frank gal-pal talk could very well be in the offing.)

last edited at Feb 28, 2019 9:11AM

Fwerpng
joined Jul 25, 2017

cough cough cough cough cough read chapter 9 after 38 cough cough cough cough cough

St1
joined Feb 17, 2013

^I think most of us remembered that it's her diary :)

I'm super curious what she has wrote it in.

To reply you must either login or sign up.