Forum › Posts by MZH

MZH
Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

Purple Library Guy's comment on realism reminds me of Ursula K. Le Guin's The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas.

The trouble is that we have a bad habit, encouraged by pedants and sophisticates, of considering happiness as something rather stupid. Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting. This is the treason of the artist: a refusal to admit the banality of evil and the terrible boredom of pain. If you can’t lick ’em, join ’em. If it hurts, repeat it. But to praise despair is to condemn delight, to embrace violence is to lose hold of everything else. We have almost lost hold; we can no longer describe a happy man, nor make any celebration of joy.

Writing stories about awful people is not bad, and neither is liking such stories (I certainly do). But there should be nothing inherently unrealistic about a story with kind and happy people as opposed to one about mean and unhappy people.

MZH
Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/black_white_ch13#20 (bottom left panel)

These women work in private equity? No wonder they're all horrible people.

Also, kudos to the translators for making that line work.

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

Wonder what her playlist is going to be??

I wonder if it'll be full of love songs~

I think math rock would be more appropriate, given the situation.

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

But that LA smog…

... makes beautiful sunsets.

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

I happened upon these troves of images by Sunstone author Stjepan Sejic and thought it was relevant to the interests of denizens here.

A taste from a twitter post:

The rest are scattered around his twitter feed. The following two links have gathered many of them together (with some duplication between them):

Trove #1: https://imgur.com/gallery/midAIaj
Trove #2: https://mediachomp.com/the-adventures-of-wonder-woman-and-lara-croft/

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

Good stuff but also screw Japanese law when it comes to self defense.

Seriously,can't protect crap without getting random bull crap thrown at you.

Can you elaborate on this? I'm not familiar with Japanese law.

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

If you were my mom, it'd be rather weird for my heart to be racing, right?

Weird? ... on this website?

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

Please tell me there's more
Please tell me there's more
PLEASE TELL ME THERE'S MORE

Oh, there is more, TONS more! Here you go: https://manganelo.com/manga/gu918825

oof link dead

Mangadex has more.

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

ふざけんな!!!

In Japanese, this is a strong way to tell a person to quit messing around, or it is a way to express your anger at someone else who you feel is being an idiot. It isn't polite at all.

Hence, my take on it.

Indeed, a very strong and impolite statement. :)

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

I haven't been receiving chapters from my subscribed series to my To Read list, even though I started to receive email alerts for the same. I was wondering if I'm the only one experiencing this issue, or if this is an intentional update and I'm just out of the loop...

This is a known problem. Dynasty probably got flagged as possible spammers by major email providers and was blocked. It will probably require changing to a different mail hist to fix this.

Relevant admin post

MZH
Ikoku Nikki discussion 13 Dec 18:23
Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

Thanks to the translators for this. It's also impressive that the translation for the first chapter (without any future context) could be used unchanged in chapter 50. I only realized this because chapter 50 made me want to reread everything.

I don't think calling Makio nonchalant is accurate. She gives a lot of comfort and advice (often bluntly) to Asa and was rather effective in guiding Emiri during her uncertainty. Her introvertedness leaves her with a limited supply of energy for other people, but she's been kind and loving the whole time (despite her warning when she took Asa in).

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

idiot couple can be, to an extent, an acquired taste.
I used to react negatively to it and get annoyed by those series, be it in manga and anime. Maybe it was for a perceived lack of alternatives but now I kinda like it. PBMMV, Hino-san (please don't tell me I'll have to read it elsewhere...), Childhood Friend, Hijiki's works, I've found quite a few that appeal to me.

Also for me the one I can never remember the title of, where one of a pair of best friends keeps making increasingly yuri-esque gestures while protesting that their behavior is “just normal.”

I’m sure some kind soul has that title at hand.

https://dynasty-scans.com/series/you_are_totally_in_love_with_me_arent_you

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

Given the worker exploitation discussion here and the fact that the Communism tag exists, maybe we need a corresponding Capitalism tag. Or Late Capitalism. Or Eat the Rich.

MZH
Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

Not sure if anything changed, but I actually got chapter notifications in my inbox instead of spam

I got one, too (it was in my gmail spam folder, but I wasn't getting anything before yesterday).

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

We playing bets on what song she's gonna sing? Maybe the song Playlist that she sent her.

She needs to be as direct as possible, so punk is the correct answer.

MZH
Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

Headcannon can play that for me plenty well.

Headcannon

MZH
Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

This almost certainly wasnt the authors intent but Xiaoen feels very nuerodivergent to me, I think its cool even if its unintentional

I think it's already fair to say Xiaoen isn't neurotypical.

Maybe it's cause I'm old, but the current obsession with labeling everyone to death turns me off. She is who she is. Can't someone just be a little unique without getting categorized?

Neurodivergent is like the word queer in that its a pretty nebulous umbrella term so I don’t think this is “labelling to death” at all lol, it’s just nice to find some relatable characters in fiction

I think part of the annoyance comes from how quickly a label gets applied to a character. I'm recalling the pages of discussion about whether Yuu from Bloom Into You was aro/ace starting from the first chapter. Unless there is an explicit diagnosis within the story, I think it's fine to just let a character be a little weird.

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

Wait, Saori and Shizuku kissed? How can the author just drop that in and not show us what happened? Peak cruelty.

Ch. 18

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

In Chapter 4, the page labeled 005 is actually the first page of the chapter.

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

From the little sister's reaction, Kaori has been trying to erase her existence from her family the same way Shiuku has from hers. Thinking that that she's being kind, Kaori's been trying to put distance between herself and everyone she loves in the hope that people won't be so sad when dies. She even hid the fact that she was dying from Shizuku and wanted to pretend that she was merely going away after playing lovers for a time.

In Chapter 19, Shizuku realized how blinded she was to how many people around her loved her and worried for her and would care if she disappeared. In Chapter 20, we realize that Kaori is similarly (perhaps willfully) blind and still doing the same things that Shizuku used to.

Of course her little sister reacts like she does in this chapter. Her beloved older sister is dying and for some reason doesn't want to spend any time together. She's jealous of the one person her older sister hasn't abandoned.

Lay off the imouto, people!

MZH
Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

Update on the email notifications: just got a notification a few hours ago. Like others above, I haven't received one in over a month. It was in my spam folder, which was weird since I've never marked one as spam.

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

So, anyone know what was up with that half moon demon form? Is that a reference to something, or are all creepy dolls capable of that?

"The moon is beautiful tonight, isn't it?"

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

Due to the resolution, can/has anyone translated the mirrored Latin on page 18?

Edit: Also possibly the same text (also mirrored Latin) on page 48

It's nonsense text used as a placeholder so that actual words aren't a distraction when evaluating a design.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorem_ipsum

Kurt
joined Aug 11, 2014

A nice detail: the first version of the ad showed people gathered around a campfire, which would ruin their night vision. The second version showed the person in complete darkness.