Forum › Their Story discussion

Pero01
joined Apr 1, 2014

nabid posted:

HOW ABOUT SOME REAL CHAPTERS?

?????????

Seriously people WHAT THE FUCK do you all want? when you're watching a story building up we have some people (even in the very first chapter) being like "uuhhh where is the kiss? Why is this tagged as yuri? >_>?" and now that they're officially in a relationship apparently is not enough to hang out and have fun naaaaaaaaah ya'll want a hysteric mother, stalker rapist guy, a manipulative yandere class president or some shit like that, if not... then is not even considered a real chapter. Jesus Christ.

And here I was having fun... How preposterous

But it'll neeeeever be enoughhhhh~

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

a hysteric mother, stalker rapist guy, a manipulative yandere class president

Interesting ideas—have you ever considered a career as a manga writer? Lol

Whatever the rules are in China, in my imagination Tanjiu just got to the kiss part and suddenly realized, “I really don’t feel like coming up with a bunch more plot-heavy scenes about Stalker Girl/Handsome Guy, Third-Wheel Yuri Girl, or the Yaoi Boys—I just want SJ & QT to be cute together.”

Or maybe the authorities called the author in to a bare interrogation room with burly thugs looming in the background, booted up the strip on a government laptop, and then the rail-thin, emotionless guy in the reflective glasses said in a voice like a rattlesnake made of steel, “Some of this is pretty cute—but MAKE IT EVEN CUTER! MUCH, MUCH CUTER! Or else.”

So there was no choice.

joined Jul 29, 2018

Sun Jing, Sun Jing how do I become like you

joined Jul 29, 2018

Sun Jing, Sun Jing how do I become like you

Melody
joined Nov 5, 2014

I heard Tanjiu couldnt get a 2nd volume printed because their chinese publisher wanted them to censor the kiss scene. They refused, so this is the current direction.

Marion Diabolito
Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

Me and a Chinese friend"

me: 'what do you think of Tamen de Gushi?"
friend: (blank look) what's that?
me: (Explains)
friend: oh you mean Tamen de Gushi. Ah, that makes sense.
me:( shows it to them)
friend: ... it's kind of goofy?

It probably is more me mangling the consonants in "gushi" than any tone issue, FWIW. and it is pretty goofy :)

As best I could understand it the issues she had were entirely concerning the paper/print editions not the online. So maybe what we're seeing is precisely all the couple stuff that can no longer make it into print?

The new rules basically give a double standard and gay couples have to be much less explicit, basically. so children won't be exposed. Meaning normally no problem but sometimes at random there is. And if something is going to be heavily promoted the publishers want more of a sure thing so it's a chilling effect. She could probably go to a publisher that's lower profile in Shanghai but that would take a lot of legwork to find. I think the new goal is to be like japan was 30 years ago, and before it was more to be like how japan was 10 years ago.

Then again: think about sailor moon couple becoming cousins and SIF English translations in the US "cutting out the gay"

So it still happens outside China. I've looked at ways people could give them feedback it's an export economy after all. China easily has as big a rural/urban divide as the US, for one thing.

last edited at Sep 16, 2018 4:51PM

^
lolololololol noob

Shinobu%20cain%202
joined Aug 19, 2015

Hahahahah This made me think of a random shitposty thought. So if the censorship is to protect children's exposure, haven't they thought that maybe this is the solution to China's overpopulation!? Really just a shitpost. I know some gay couples want to have children too.

I like this chap and somehow I also don't feel quite right by the end of it. I guess it's probably because even until now, I'm still looking for confirmation that they're going out. Like the scene when QT says they are. What I mean is, this chapter screams they're already going out. The previous chapters seem to say so too. This chap is just more blunt about it. So little old me was looking forward to the chap when they're official and welp, oh.. so they really are already going out. I wanted to see it!! And the only reason I desired a scene like that is because there was a chap where QT said something like, "Wait a moment. Since when did we start dating?" So because of that, I felt off coz there wasn't consent from QT and personally, consent is a big deal for me. If QT didn't say that and these chaps just came, the natural conclusion is that they are indeed dating and I wouldn't have this desire for a confirmation scene.

I say that but I'm still very happy with them just being cute. XD

Also, based on personal experience, it is still possible that this is that period when you're all flirty but are still not really official phase. But everyone seems (even me)to think that they're already official.

last edited at Sep 16, 2018 5:26PM

joined Sep 6, 2018

HOW ABOUT SOME REAL CHAPTERS?

With censorship by decree, nope. The author is now steering the “nice boat” to Fluff Land.

Screen%20shot%202024-03-24%20at%209.39.46%20am
joined May 8, 2017

So if the censorship is to protect children's exposure, haven't they thought that maybe this is the solution to China's overpopulation!?

Unlike in Western media, China's censorship is not so much to protect children's innocence as to prevent threats to governmental power. Any large community that deviates from the status quo, including the LGBT, is perceived as a threat, which is why depictions of homosexuality are so heavily policed. While older generations' disapproval of homosexuality doesn't help, it's only a secondary issue; even the government doesn't take too much issue with the pure principle of homosexuality these days.

With regards to the overpopulation argument, this has probably already been written somewhere in these two thousand-odd comments, but propagating the family line by having biological children is deeply entrenched in Chinese culture. Even if a parent acknowledges that homosexuality might mitigate overpopulation somewhat, they likely can't accept that their kid has to be the one to fix overpopulation, meaning that most people are far less adverse to the idea of someone else's kid being gay than their own.

last edited at Sep 16, 2018 10:06PM

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

Is it me or after the kiss the whole story became kinda dull and boring? (
Guess it's just me... г__г

Sure, by all means, let’s bring back Other Girl Who We Know Almost Nothing About for a meaningless love triangle.

Or maybe QT Gets Bullied For No Reason.

Or perhaps Another Thrilling Basketball Game With A Bunch of Stupid Guys.

On second thought—no.

Meh, I'm sorry, but I don't think that's fair.

This comic has always had lots of light fluff and great humor, including throughout the storyline with everybody playing basketball, but it has generally had a clear narrative behind the fluff. Things happened, and they had consequences, and we had things that were foreshadowed and conflicts that got built up and resolved and then...suddenly everything that was going on with Mo Xiaonan got kind of abruptly dropped or skipped over. Some of us were -interested- in what was going to happen with Mo, and it's just kind of odd the way it was hopped over without resolution. Did Mo confess? How did Sun Jing respond? Did she respond? More so because it kind of happened more than once. The author kept alluding to it like it was about to come back up, but every time it just recedes back under the surface. It's like...a -tease- of drama, without any actual resolution. I get that some people on this site dislike drama, but surely that's worse than just having it come up, get resolved, and -then- move on to the WAFF? I was kind of okay with the bit of jumping ahead to take a break from the heavy stuff, but then when we came back to the timeline, we came back -after- the whole thing was over.

Tan Jiu has always jumped in and out of different points in the timeline, but it was always clear when we left and when we came back, and things weren't just left unresolved like that before. It makes it a little harder to invest in the events of the story whenever I'm reminded of it.

I'm enjoying the cute story about the cute girlfriends flirting on their amusement park trip, but there's still a cloud over everything that wasn't there before.

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Sure, by all means, let’s bring back Other Girl Who We Know Almost Nothing About for a meaningless love triangle.

Or maybe QT Gets Bullied For No Reason.

Or perhaps Another Thrilling Basketball Game With A Bunch of Stupid Guys.

On second thought—no.

Meh, I'm sorry, but I don't think that's fair.

This comic has always had lots of light fluff and great humor, including throughout the storyline with everybody playing basketball, but it has generally had a clear narrative behind the fluff. Things happened, and they had consequences, and we had things that were foreshadowed and conflicts that got built up and resolved and then...suddenly everything that was going on with Mo Xiaonan got kind of abruptly dropped or skipped over. Some of us were -interested- in what was going to happen with Mo, and it's just kind of odd the way it was hopped over without resolution.

That’s fine—I wasn’t interested in Mo Xiaonan. As I said, all we know about her is that she is a girl who mopes around wanting to spend time with Sun Jing, who, for very good reasons, wants to spend time with Qiu Tong instead. The only appeal I can see in her is as a very mechanical plot complication.

I also didn’t care anything about the basketball boys or the sports rivalry with the other high school. It’s true—Tanjiu is a very good comic writer and a thoughtful and accomplished visual storyteller, so whatever scenes or arcs we got were likely to have appealing aspects to them.

It’s also true that the kind of story that’s being told and the chapter/episode format are very different now than they once were. But on rereading the entire series and seriously considering what earlier aspects of the story that we were no longer getting that I really hoped the story would return to, my own answer is—not very much.

last edited at Sep 16, 2018 11:44PM

11av3
joined May 28, 2018

Yeah, I kind of feel frustrated because of the absence of narrative structure in story. From the start story was sometimes messy, but now it’s too much. It feels random. It’s not about drama, I enjoy reading all fluff stories like Hana Ni Arashi because there is a clear structure and progress of the story, and here is none of that. Well, art is still really good, so I keep reading it.

last edited at Sep 17, 2018 1:22AM

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

This comic has always had lots of light fluff and great humor, including throughout the storyline with everybody playing basketball, but it has generally had a clear narrative behind the fluff. Things happened, and they had consequences, and we had things that were foreshadowed and conflicts that got built up and resolved and then...suddenly everything that was going on with Mo Xiaonan got kind of abruptly dropped or skipped over. Some of us were -interested- in what was going to happen with Mo, and it's just kind of odd the way it was hopped over without resolution. Did Mo confess? How did Sun Jing respond? Did she respond? More so because it kind of happened more than once. The author kept alluding to it like it was about to come back up, but every time it just recedes back under the surface. It's like...a -tease- of drama, without any actual resolution. I get that some people on this site dislike drama, but surely that's worse than just having it come up, get resolved, and -then- move on to the WAFF? I was kind of okay with the bit of jumping ahead to take a break from the heavy stuff, but then when we came back to the timeline, we came back -after- the whole thing was over.

Tan Jiu has always jumped in and out of different points in the timeline, but it was always clear when we left and when we came back, and things weren't just left unresolved like that before. It makes it a little harder to invest in the events of the story whenever I'm reminded of it.

I'm enjoying the cute story about the cute girlfriends flirting on their amusement park trip, but there's still a cloud over everything that wasn't there before.

Agree completely, basically what I have been saying for the last year or so. I am the opposite of Blastaar in this regard, the fluff was merely an added bonus for me, but what I was invested in was the main storyline of them getting together and the complications that arose in that process. Bonus fluff was always appreciated, but when the only thing that remains is the fluff, the story loses much, if not most of its appeal for me. What used to be high anticipation that I welcomed the new chapters with turned into a sort of "meh, it updated, I guess I can click on it".

last edited at Sep 17, 2018 2:47AM

Img-20190201-wa0005
joined Sep 21, 2015

Any time is a good time to give a rub rub to a girl's chest

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Just to clarify: although I think I got on board the cuteness train earlier than some other readers, for a long time I too had been anxious for the series to return to its earlier format of longer sequences with more secondary plots and subsidiary characters.

It was only after re-reading the whole series (more than once) that I realized that I really wasn't all that interested in the non-SJ&QT elements that had previously been on offer, and I really wasn't interested in Mo Xiaonan coming along and causing some kind of misunderstanding between SJ and QT (an actual love triangle being almost entirely off the table anyway). Nor did I particularly want to see Mophead try to prove to the Stalker Cutie that he "really wasn't a good guy," etc. (Spoiler: Mophead is a good guy. ). And the other subplots were almost entirely disconnected from the main romantic plotline.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing longer narrative arcs and I'm not opposed to more dramatic intensity in the SJ/QT relationship if that develops out of the fundamental dynamic that's been established between the two of them (encountering each others' families, say, or being outed at school, etc.).

But Mo Xiaonan has basically been Chekhov's Other Love Interest, introduced early on and serving as a potential source for an emergency angst injection to the plot if needed. If she returns at all as a focus, I'd like to see her used in some unexpected way, rather than just being a girl with a crush who gets in the way of the OTP.

last edited at Sep 17, 2018 10:30AM

Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

Now that they're together they're so awkward!

...I love it.

Dynsaty%20scans%20avatar%20from%20twgokhs
joined Jan 5, 2015

So if the censorship is to protect children's exposure, haven't they thought that maybe this is the solution to China's overpopulation!?

Unlike in Western media, China's censorship is not so much to protect children's innocence as to prevent threats to governmental power. Any large community that deviates from the status quo, including the LGBT, is perceived as a threat, which is why depictions of homosexuality are so heavily policed. While older generations' disapproval of homosexuality doesn't help, it's only a secondary issue; even the government doesn't take too much issue with the pure principle of homosexuality these days.

With regards to the overpopulation argument, this has probably already been written somewhere in these two thousand-odd comments, but propagating the family line by having biological children is deeply entrenched in Chinese culture. Even if a parent acknowledges that homosexuality might mitigate overpopulation somewhat, they likely can't accept that their kid has to be the one to fix overpopulation, meaning that most people are far less adverse to the idea of someone else's kid being gay than their own.

What I was saying is the official line and I agree that you are correctly describing the underlying motivation.

Keepallyourgifsinabasket
joined Aug 17, 2013

Not sure if anyone's talked about it already but have y'all noticed Sun Jing getting significantly more masculine-looking over time? She'd always earned the tomboy tag and was more facially boyish looking than the other female characters from the beginning but wow she looks like a guy now.
I'm sure it's right up a lot of people's alleys but it's not my thing at all and has lowered my enjoyment.
Has it made a difference to anybody else, or even been noticable?

joined Apr 18, 2018

Yeah, also noticed that she's slowly looking more like a he. This is why I particularly loathes the tomboy trope nowadays, which is luckily being reduced in comparison to the days of old but it's still there. Just make up your mind already, either make a yuri or a het romance series. If it's yuri then perhaps at least make that so called tomboy a bit more feminine? She's still supposed to be a girl in the end.

last edited at Sep 25, 2018 2:42AM

Gt00pn-odpc
joined Sep 30, 2017

Not sure if anyone's talked about it already but have y'all noticed Sun Jing getting significantly more masculine-looking over time? She'd always earned the tomboy tag and was more facially boyish looking than the other female characters from the beginning but wow she looks like a guy now.
I'm sure it's right up a lot of people's alleys but it's not my thing at all and has lowered my enjoyment.
Has it made a difference to anybody else, or even been noticable?

Yeah. It's starting to rub me the wrong way too. I think if you gotta go with a tomboy you better make It more like Kase-san. She's the sheer tomboy perfection.

last edited at Sep 25, 2018 3:27AM

joined Feb 23, 2016

Wtf SJ... xD

Img_20180401_104003
joined Nov 26, 2017

I kinda ship Mophead and Sun Jing. This chapter made me sad because my ship ain't sailing

Images
joined Aug 14, 2016

what happen after the story "Their Story: 22/12/2017 update" when Mo Xiaonan stop Sun Jin to meet Qui Tong, and Mo Xiaonan cry in front of her..

p.s. I've been following this story for almost 4years

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

what happen after the story "Their Story: 22/12/2017 update" when Mo Xiaonan stop Sun Jin to meet Qui Tong, and Mo Xiaonan cry in front of her..

p.s. I've been following this story for almost 4years

All we know is that sometime after that, Sun Jing showed up to meet QT and was sad about something. Later we saw Mo shoot a grumpy look at SJ in class. Not much we can really say for sure beyond that. The author decided to move on from it, apparently.

To reply you must either login or sign up.