Forum › Posts by Selene

Selene
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

Another tweet from Kishi-sensei:
3月4日はのののん先輩の誕生日
March 4th is Nononon-sempai’s birthday

So, this and the bath picture are obviously something Yumimi bullied Nononon into taking and sending to her. You can't change my mind.

Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

At first I thought Tomoko was the protagonist of the game. Thought that would be fun.. Was disappointed and annoyed to find it was some random dude...

Then he tries to get close to Tomoko and Nemo and Yuri step in. "Okay, that's pretty funny."
Then he attempts to assault her and Mama-bear Asuka murders him. "XD This is awesome!"
Then meta Kii-chan crashes the program and won't let you play anymore. "Take my money."

This was great!

Selene
Misaki discussion 18 Jan 13:30
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

I understand the desire to keep from spoiling things, but the Tragedy tag really needs to be put on immediately.. I was just scanning for some light Christmas fluff after waking up and got gut-punched. Really wasn't in a state to read this..

But the story itself is good, poignant. I don't think it's even necessarily implying incest (though with the trend recently it very well could be). To me it came across as a star-crossed lovers story, Sad, tragic, and just a little bit of some bittersweet hope. Damnit, Dynasty

Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

For once, giving the potential cheater the benefit of the doubt paid off. Now, technically she slept with her new girlfriend and THEN broke it off with him, which, a little backwards. But you can tell she was seriously thinking about what to do since she went and called him as soon as she got home. And she's a teenager. I'll give her a pass. Comparisons to the previous series aside, this chapter makes me feel much better about where it's going.

Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

I don't think Takuya-kun's so much dense as just uninterested and happy to be a friend as long as Nakashima-san doesn't push her (assumed) pursuit of him. Okay, he's still dense too, but not like it's going to be the main running joke that just annoys you? In a more natural way?

The mom is drawing some parallels with her ex-husband (even the unintentional one of Nakashima-san's bad cooking). And from the blush and the way the story has gone so far and the early concept art, I get the feeling she's gonna be the type to get flustered and panic but not actually try too hard to fight her off cause she's kinda interested. It's going to be awesome.

Also, Takuya-kun's friends just being dumbfounded by his apparently sister-like relationship with Nakashima-san should be a recurring thing.

Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

I wonder if there's an agency somewhere that specifically deploys guys to hit on girls who seem to have romantic subtext. The dudes get their jaws broken, the relationship progresses thanks to the intensity of the situation, and the agency presumably compensates the victims based on the damage incurred and the degree of progress they brought about.

Started reading this thinking comment "yeah, yeah, all those assholes piss me off too" and then by the end my mind is blown. That is a GREAT idea! Let's make it happen.

Selene
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

While we can't know for sure yet, I got the impression that as Yumimi became interested in and got closer to Nononon, she decided that a teasing approach was the best way to get closer by inches, without Nononon freaking out. Because Nononon freaks out pretty easily, it appears. By slowly getting her used to these things Yumimi could get closer without scaring her off. Whether that's actually a good approach or whether that's actually what she's doing, is up for debate of course.

Also

White Rose said:
-snip-

That was pretty awesome and informative, thank you.

Selene
Image Comments 20 Nov 23:48
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015
Vatjlcv

Yes~~~ I'm so happy to see this here.

Selene
Image Comments 16 Nov 01:19
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015
64993923_p0

Actually, considering Kyumaki's spoiler above, it's actually Psuedo-Incest

Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

This actually looks pretty fun.

Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

The LN imo is def better, we get to hear more about what they are thinking in their POV's and more events that we didnt see in either manga or anime adaptations. I like the anime adaptation too because without it me and many others wouldn't of started reading this

Portraying a person's thoughts in film/TV is pretty challenging. Internal monologue, which is very natural to prose, easily turns into a boring and uncinematic voiceover-fest (cough Hanamonogatari cough) if the screenwriting isn't creative enough.

I've read all three versions here on Dynasty, and I have to agree, I think the LN is the best, hands down. (I'm waiting for the anime season to finish since I know I'm going to want to binge it.) The thing with this series is that it's not an action series. This series is all about the internal monologue, so adapting it to manga/TV is going to be a lot tougher than it would be for other series.

I've heard good things about the anime so I'm looking forward to it. But if you saw the anime first and are coming here now, I definitely recommend the LN.

Selene
VAMPEERZ discussion 10 Nov 01:48
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

Using manipulated pictures to save time creating backgrounds is a very valid way to save time in the professional art world. I personally think they fit in well enough and serve their purpose haha. Do you guys feel like these things take away from the reading experience? I’m really curious. Thank you~

I'm not sure. In most works, it seems to either be used for very specific things (food, city-scapes) or as a one-off background. This author is the only one I can remember off the top of my head who uses them so extensively, but in this particular case I like it. His characters are so highly detailed and accurate in pretty much every way, including their poses and actions. So I feel like it matches his style very well.

For other authors...it doesn't really bother me, but it tends to stick out a bit more, so I take note of it. I suppose it's more important that it doesn't clash with the rest of the art.

Selene
Image Comments 10 Nov 01:28
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015
85409504_p0

@lord-or-roses: I laughed. Also, as long as she washed her hand before sending it through the portal, that actually seems like a very GOOD way to social distance AND get your (extremely lewd) hand-holding.

Selene
Image Comments 10 Nov 01:24
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015
Dv8srlbvoaaan2f-orig

This is, strangely hilarious. XD Also, Lots of Kissing?

Selene
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

The overall message of the manga is that it's fine to like girls while being a girl and that they like girls because they're girls, so while I agree beginning might seem misleading as if Yae was trans, it's actually part of exploration of her identity and those themes leading to ultimate conclusion that she's fine the way she is.

Ah, yes, that's what I was trying to say I think ^_^;

It sounds like gay-marriage is not a issue anymore? In America, sure, but in most of the world, especially in Japan, it's still a big issue.

And, I suppose that was me leaning too much into generalizations, forgetting that our bubble here on this site is just that, a bubble, and trying to be too optimistic.. In my area of America it doesn't seem much progress has been made over the last ten years. It's quite frustrating. And I should definitely have had more consideration for other areas of the world before saying what I did, you're right. I normally do.

But...the fact that we talk about it as much as we do, that some countries at least are starting to come around, that more people are realizing just how natural it is.. Well, I think it's good to have that hope, especially here in 2020, where everything else seems to be going wrong.

Selene
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

Oh gosh I love how mom helps with the clothes in this version! (At least, I don't think she did in the original..maybe I'm wrong.) And the second editor taking a look at her manga..

Anyway, I was looking again at the tags for this series and really enjoying the combination of Blushing, Height Gap, Wholesome...and it hit me. I think we need a Thirsty tag. I can think of a few other series that could definitely use it too. And just the idea that this series can use both the Wholesome and Thirsty tags together really makes me smile..

Selene
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

Damn, I just realized these were all in the same anthology; I can't believe I didn't notice that. This anthology is now going on my favorites list. I hope the rest is scanlated soon!

Selene
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

Time for another re-read!

I love this manga, and I've reread it so many times, but I always get put off by the accidental trans subtext of Yae. It's really frustrating watching a character that seems... Pretty aggressively dysphoric just get handwaved as having a deep seated complex related to their attraction to women. Yae says at multiple points they wish they were born a boy, is deeply uncomfortable when they're referred to as girly and especially when their boobs get emphasized, and is absolutely pissed when it's assumed they're not the "man in the relationship", and the list goes on. (THEY LITERALLY BIND AT THE START) As a trans person, it makes a hot story that I really like pretty hard to read when the mangaka sets that up only to justify it away.

I really only have great things to say about Hanjuku Joshi otherwise, which makes that a huge shame.

Hmm, I honestly never thought to look at it thru that perspective. I am cis-female and I felt the same way as Yae at that age, so I suppose it could be seen from various angles?

I think Yae is more somewhere in the middle. If you look at this:
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/hanjuku_joshi_ch03#13
you see that it isn't just as straight-forward as "I want to be a boy". More, those feelings are shown later to be at least partially from a broken heart, so it may be more of a self-image thing than actually being trans. I'm no expert, of course, but that was my thought..

We have to remember when this was made. If it was done today, it might certainly seem a bit tone-deaf. But considering back then gay-marriage was a big issue, I don't think the author meant to have such implications.

last edited at Oct 28, 2020 7:30AM

Selene
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this yet, but that's a low-key confession, isn't it? I mean, Koguma-chan has clearly been slowly recognizing her feelings, and been growing more comfortable with Hino-san despite all her embarrassed protests. For all that Hino-san is enjoying teasing her and putting her in perverted and embarrassing situations, she's been keeping Koguma-chan at arms length whenever things get serious.

Here, Koguma-chan refuses to be kept at arms lengthin a serious moment, and instead forces herself into a compromising position with Hino-san deliberately, basically declaring that she's not joking around anymore. I so can't wait to see what happens after this.

Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

I'll be back to edit this in a second, I just want to say. "AsukaTomoko Vampire Trick" and Biting
Instant favorite.

Edit:
can not actually express her inner fangirl due to gross blood loss

last edited at Oct 22, 2020 12:59AM

Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

I swear, Adachi's mom expected another sauna duel there. :D

She totally was. :D

But oh my god Shimamura's Mom~~! We knew this meeting had to happen eventually. I am so looking forward to seeing this conversation she has with her daughter now. And I hope we get more meetings of the mom's in the future.

Selene
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

Hey, we got one panel with the both of them (sorta) in it--what more do you want?

I know, right? Even open endings tie up some loose ends, if not the main question (hence, leaving it open.) From Uta's perspective an open ending might make sense, and we do see some of that with Kuroe and her going to university, but what about Kaoru? If we never had Kaoru's perspective, only Uta's, it wouldn't matter. But the author gave multiple perspectives in this story, including what I linked about.

Kaoru realizes Uta really did love her, but then never thinks about that again? What about Reiichi? What are his thoughts on this? Did he even find out about what his sister confessed to his ex-wife? After Ritsuko becomes the antagonist and lays it out for Kaoru, she's never seen again? She's a one-trick character?

On another note, is everyone thinking that the fact they're living together means they got together? Because my impression was more of a status-quo, still unrequited love. Which, again, open ending, sure. But it feels more like the author just stopped halfway through the story rather than even trying to write out an ending that was open to interpretation.

Edit:
As far as it not being a separate apartment though, Uta was trying to use a key to get in.

last edited at Oct 19, 2020 3:55PM

Selene
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

Seriously? Whether or not they get together, the story could have gone either way. My shipper heart isn't so unreasonable as to say the story sucks simply because the relationship didn't work out. But this isn't a climax. This entire chapter is nothing but an epilogue. And if the previous confrontation at the bus stop was supposed to be the climax, it's only half finished.

Is this supposed to be an open ending? Because if it is it's a huge letdown after the extremely detailed drama and angst buildup over the story. So much thought put into this to at the end go "so yeah, they finally confronted each other and here's a look at a few years later and maybe they did maybe they didn't. Oh well."

link brackets are currently not working?
You can't show something like this:
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_unrequited_love_ch35#21
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_unrequited_love_ch35#22
https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/my_unrequited_love_ch35#23
and then not show her conclusion.

What the fuck?

Selene
School Zone discussion 06 Oct 17:23
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

Trying to figure out whether Yamashiro is an airhead or a mastermind.

Wouldn't be surprised if Kaname overslept just for the sake of getting those two to spend some time together, it's always the goofy ones.

I knew it! She totally did that on purpose. She totally set them up.

Piyo has a girlfriend now. Let's see how long it takes her to notice.

Truth.

This also confirms my suspicions from the pocky confrontation. I never got the feeling Kaname was into Piyo too, it felt more like a challenge or tease to get Piyo to reveal her true feelings. (Not that Kaname didn't already know.) And she's been so happy trying to push these two together to become friends.

last edited at Oct 6, 2020 5:27PM

Selene
School Zone discussion 05 Oct 12:36
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

Kaname is best girl.