Selene
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

YEEESSSSSSSS! incoherent fangirl noises continue in the background

Selene
VAMPEERZ discussion 23 Jul 00:10
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

This is one reason I love Higashiyama Shou so much. He's so good at the subtle character interactions. Ichika clearly still young and part of her is worried about Aria getting drunk and yet she's still tempted. Then, as youth often is, she's quick to take advantage and say "sorry Khara, we're going alone, no room for you!" And her wanting to kiss more but then discovering that even though alcohol can show her some amazing things...the burp.

Normally, even when it's clearly a mutual feeling like in the case of these two, adding alcohol to the mix still makes me a bit uncomfortable. But in this case it's clear that Ichika's youth is playing a role and it's something she can learn from as they grow closer.

Of course while Aria is clearly affected I'm not sure how much it's her losing control and how much it's her using it as an excuse to do things she normally wouldn't. Part of my suspects she's not as drunk as she's showing. Either way, I'll bet that their night ends here, leaving Ichika with mixed feelings.

Anyway, OH, MY HEART

Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

I really like the twist here. Forget the cliche "found her friend on the first try!" Now we're in for a (slightly) less improbable meeting. But even if her friend wasn't there I thought this worked really well as a sweet one-night-stand type story. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

On another note, I saw the tag Pay for Gay and thought they'd added a second, reversed tag of Gay for Pay. Too bad, as the slight distinction might be the difference in whether I want to read a story. Glad I read this anyway.

Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

So last chapter seemed out of nowhere, and now it all comes together. I can get behind this.

Selene
VAMPEERZ discussion 25 Jun 01:19
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

If the manga hadn't upped my blood-sucking fetish in the past few chapters, I think this one sealed the deal.

I'm any case, the mood changes felt weirder in this chapter than it had before, but I love a good mad Ichika moment so I can't complain too much.

I was thinking that too. And then I'm like, but the author's usually so much better than that! What's going on? This one isn't getting cancelled too?!

And then we hit the anti-climax and realize it was a false build-up all along. Well played, Mangaka, well played.

Selene
Suito-to! discussion 01 Jun 18:42
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

As both a cook and a yuri-lover (and a food-lover), this is totally making me both hungry and thirsty. And the action-scene style of tying her hair up and enjoying the food. I'm totally with her!

As far as the idea of needing to look cute, I suspect it's mostly social media personalities now, with Japan itself still being a little behind. Even growing up in a small town in the midwest US, there's the old ideas about women having to be proper and neat at all times. To the point where I still think about how messy I must look when I'm chowing down on some really delicious food I just made.

In practice, most people around here don't actually care, but it's only really a generation or two removed from being that way I think.

last edited at Jun 1, 2020 6:51PM

Selene
Steps discussion 01 Jun 18:20
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

So this came up on a random chapter and I'm re-reading it.. I really like this collection. Aroma hits both the scent fetish AND the Biting and Thigh Art

But I was thinking about how well Takemiya Jin shows real relationships, and the ways people are interconnected. And these two couples are like the ultimate in subtle reversals. (Probably should be realistic reversals. The in-your-face kind are entertaining, but it's usually not so blatant I would think.)

Like, Ah-chan is the cool and collected teacher, even to Kimura, the cool and collected student. But the further into the relationship you get, the more you see that Ryouko is actually the sensible one about relationship stuff, and Ah-chan is all freaking out. Ah-chan's experience comes into play in the beginning, but by the end, even before the time-skip, she's the one all flustered with Ryouko comforting her.

Kimura, on the other hand, despite having a look and personality that nowadays would probably get her labeled as "delinquent" or "tomboy" (though I don't think she qualifies as either), shows that behind that facade she can blush like a pure maiden. Her personality means that she acknowledges it and then goes right back to being assertive, but she can't help her natural reaction. It's just a very realistic piece of work.

And don't even get me started on Miyano-sensei. Seriously, all "perfectly" shy and blushy, (even after they get together? They've already been sleeping together before Miyano-sensei puts her foot down about the hickey. It really looks like she was surprised and happy by the initial confession. And Kimura seems very in control yet, with Miyano-sensei being content to let her take the lead in most things, until she begins worrying about the age gap). It's only when that vulnerability shows that the inner Miyano-sensei comes out. That tongue-sticking-out smirk while drawing on your half-naked girlfriend's inner thigh.. Omg

And finally the friendship of Kimu and Ryouko. Even after the time-skip they have the same airhead/cool kid vibe, their positions they'd always held in their peer group.

Really, I think this just shows why Takemiya-sensei is one of the big names in yuri manga.

Selene
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

I challenge anyone to say they still think Shiho's dry personality isn't "enjoyable".

That deadpan "Nyan", climbing and pouncing, with that same dry look on her face.. She's hilarious! You just gotta get under the surface..

I thought her personality was enjoyable from the jump

Oh I agree. I was just a bit defensive because of some early comments in this thread, and because I identify with Shiho to an extent. But anyway, I was also excited because it felt like a payoff for sticking with this. This is a great fluffy manga of two distinct personalities finding out slowly just how compatible they are.. It's...healing.

last edited at May 27, 2020 2:55PM

Selene
Image Comments 26 May 04:32
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015
81438078_p8

@Mimiyaah:
Well, if your cat is going to groom you the least you can do is return the favor...

Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

People always ask if something is yuri or not-yuri, yet they never considered the possibility of that thing being in a quantum superposition of simultaneously being yuri and not-yuri.

...To be fair, Yuri Quantum Theory is a relatively new branch of science.

Seriously, that comment cracked me up. Thank you for the laughs!

Selene
Image Comments 19 May 01:40
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015
Ehvqo3swkaaojef-orig

@Clueless1: If I remember right, nana is the number "7", while the other Nana's nickname is Hachi, or "8".

@HellAQA: You are so right. That is exactly what it looked like to me too..

Selene
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

I challenge anyone to say they still think Shiho's dry personality isn't "enjoyable".

That deadpan "Nyan", climbing and pouncing, with that same dry look on her face.. She's hilarious! You just gotta get under the surface..

Selene
Our Time discussion 03 May 16:15
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

See, that's an adorable little fish-girl. I really wanna see this continued. I wanna see what she looks like grown up, I wanna see what her friend thinks, and if her friend loves her romantically. I wanna see a big dramatic reveal. Too many monster-girl stories are just comedy or slice of life. (Those aren't bad. Monster Musume is even somewhat enjoyable - despite the harem - for the nostalgia of the classic internet pics it's based on. And Centaur's Worries is just fun even while it does a whole mess of awesome world-building.)

...I guess what I'm saying is I just love some "forbidden love" angst. As if 1 x 1/2 and My Unrequited Love aren't giving me enough heartache right now.

Selene
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

I need to know what getting fluffed looks like.

I'm going to guess Lots of Ruffling.

I was hoping to see it too.

last edited at May 2, 2020 9:03PM

Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

incoherent yuri fan-girl noises

Selene
1 x ½ discussion 25 Apr 01:20
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

Actually, I think it's reached the point where it starts getting amusing.. Who wants to bet on what the next number in the chapter 16.* saga will be?

Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

Hm, I didn't give Haruki much thought because I don't really like her, but if I take a step back and consider what she's done so far...
Haruki is the friendly, sociable childhood friend. She invites Aya to hang out with her friend group as an attempt to include her, but only because its a controlled environment, a space that's under her supervision, people she knows and approved of. Not to mention that Aya isn't up for those offers, so it's not like there's really any chance that Aya would've created meaningful relationships with those girls. In other words, there's no chance Haruki would've lost her position as the only one who's relatively close to her. Haruki knows "everything" about Aya, and she's pretty proud about it. Likely because she's the only one.
[snip]etc.

I hadn't considered that part about Haruki, actually. I think it still relies on a few "if"s - Haruki might not be aware she's doing that, for one, or she could simply only invite her when with those girls because they're her other closest friends and she hopes that her closeness with them will convince Aya they're not bad - but it's plausible enough. That she knows everything about Aya might just be a boast, if she really just doesn't understand Aya as much as she thinks, but if true it certainly would put another context to her actions.

Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

I don't normally read fanworks of stuff that I haven't watched/read, but I made an exception for this thing since I thought that it'd be fantasy or whatever based on the title and the cover... well, it looks that is sadly not the case.

At any rate, the first chapter was pretty good, and it makes me want to actually read the manga. I couldn't get through the anime years ago though since it made me cringe so much, and the thought of reading like 100 chapters or whatever sure is intimidating... would y'all recommend just skipping the earlier parts to get to the (I'd hope anyway) legitimate yuri as some have suggested? I know that I'd miss all the character development and all that, so that's the major reason why I don't want to go with that option...

For me, I found it easiest to do in small doses. One chapter/episode every few days. Maybe even once a week if it was that bad. Wait till you're in a mindset of actually wanting to know what's next. Over time, I felt like I was rooting for her more than cringing at her fail, and it became easier.

The other thing that might help is that the anime covers the manga really accurately, at least as far as it gets. So if you watched the episode pertaining to that chapter(s) you could skip reading those. It would depend how far you got. The anime covers the worst of the cringe too. I think it gets lighter as it goes on, even before the turning point. Or maybe I just got used to it..

Edit: Also Mako, rotfl

last edited at Apr 21, 2020 4:43PM

Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

Every human being in this manga is trash without self respect. I can’t even choose who I dislike more.
And I thought at first that it was relatable, yeah, sure...
Even art is weird and jumpy. Some frames of Aya are incredibly beautiful, but the rest is really disturbing.

After chapter 9, I wouldn't say the friend, Haruki, is trash. She might be overbearing and nosy, and, well, the "I like how she looked like she'd given up on life" line sounds bad but it could just as easily be an awkward way to try and say she liked her personality. Otherwise (wow, that's a lot of qualifiers sweat), she genuinely seems to care for Aya, considering the confrontation in the cafe.

Kuro..well, things are looking more and more like she really is just trash but it's not impossible for her to turn things around yet.. Maybe. And it wouldn't change what she's done already.

...Okay, yeah, this is looking more toxic as we go but it's not as bad as Age 15! ...yet...

Everyone is delusional.

True.

last edited at Apr 21, 2020 3:41PM

Selene
Image Comments 18 Apr 14:27
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015
En-1250805539468046338

Millions of peaches, peaches for me!

I seriously thought that's where they were going with this. Well, that she was gonna say she had her own peaches anyway. Didn't realize melons were the crown fruit of Japane.

last edited at Apr 18, 2020 2:33PM

Selene
Prunus Girl discussion 17 Apr 19:55
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

Ahh, another reread of a modern classic. Someday, the author will have nothing better to do and will write a spin-off of Non-chan. I just know it. Wishful Thinking

Hmm, what sets this manga apart I think, is that it's so relate-able for so many perspectives. Oftentimes in yuri, the friends of the two main characters always end up paired off in other yuri relationships. It gives the impression that only other lesbians can support lesbians. I get sick of the "everyone's yuri!" trope.. Manga like this are so much better. Realistic.

last edited at Apr 17, 2020 8:13PM

Selene
Nijipuri discussion 15 Apr 06:51
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

Just found this for a reread. Everyone pretty much sum up the good and bad points above. For me personally, it was slightly below average from a technical standpoint but still quite enjoyable. And that's from someone who doesn't always enjoy comedy as much.

Also, maybe it's because I wasn't too focused during the reading, but I thought Mihane was on a path to becoming dorm mother after graduating. Though I can also see helping Reika with the family business, even if just to bounce ideas off of. Doing both..I can see that from the newly independent Mihane.

Selene
Image Comments 07 Apr 05:41
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015
Metalbat

^
^^
I agree with both statements. For anyone curious on how Kuroko could be a good match though, check out "The Level 5-8 Arc" by TheAntiHero on AO3. I was skeptical too, but it works.

As for Saten here, I had such high hopes for her after her first appearance. Sadly she isn't used to her full potential. :(

Selene
VAMPEERZ discussion 02 Apr 01:36
Yuri%20ultimate
joined Feb 5, 2015

Yes, the detail and sensuality of the art is something I am really impressed with. That the comedy it alternates with actually works is even more impressive. I can't recall any others that weren't comedy, sadly. :(