Forum › Their Story discussion

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

To be honest, I find it rather shameful that you'd ask a writer to quit everything because of what you'd personally prefer to have. What she is releasing is still of good quality and if it helps her cope then continuing or not continuing with what she can release is at her discretion and her's alone.

Firstly, I did not mean it in the sense of quitting, rather, she continues to draw, but just holds on releasing it. These releases are also going at an absurdly fast pace, considering how long it previously took to get a new update. Secondly, learn to read. I was expressing a personal opinion (evident in the phrase "I would almost prefer", but I guess these days one has to actually use the phrase in my personal opinion in bold text for the message to get across), and I explained why I am personally not a fan of this current pace. At no point was I saying anything about what is or is not at author's discretion.

last edited at Mar 7, 2018 3:17PM

UranusAndNeptuneAreJustCousins
joined Sep 6, 2015

If we look at her entire work, Tan Jiu has quickly gone through every dramatic development aside from the basketball game, so to end Mo's arc as she did and now getting these vignettes isn't exactly out of the ordinary -- the sweet potato chapter and now this appear to be continuations directly after Mo stopped Sun Jing.

Except, she did not end the fangirl's arc. Not yet, the last scene is missing. It is not in the style of this story to have the fangirl confess (and even that was not actually shown), provide a short backstory on how she developed feelings for SJ, then just drop it there, SJ skips the meeting with QT, shows up another day, no questions asked (from us as readers).

She also did not return to the main story. They kissed, QT was quite reflective of that, and then... nothing, they behave the same as usual (in the sweet potato scene, as for this latest update, there is no way to tell how much time passed between the kiss scene and now, this is just a little snippet that could have happened months after they resolved everything).

Also, the story did not previously do what is doing now. The first kiss + the new (however short) drama was consistently built and hyped over a course of several consecutive releases, but the story has for the last 7 chapters been downright adamant at not going back to any of this. From a pacing standpoint, this sucks, and considering it coincided with the whole censorship issue, it really might be down to the author not being in the mood to tackle it.

So, Tan Jiu could have just taken an extended break from the main events to recharge and to think about how to continue.

Exactly, and if she really did that, it would have been better, in my opinion, to take a break from new releases and just think things through. This will sound callous (or shameful, if that feels better for you), but I am not invested in this story because of the author, or what she is facing in China (as appalling as the situation is there). I am invested in the story itself, and when pacing starts to go all over the place, as it is now, I am not really interested in exactly what real life circumstances in author's life led to this. However deplorable the censorship issue is, it will not suddenly make me think "nah, pacing is completely fine, the author is just going through some rough patches in real life".

Many people were displeased with the fangirl getting in the way of the post-kiss aftermath. Now, we are getting neither the aforementioned aftermath, nor are we getting the fangirl arc conclusion (which is something I got invested into as well). Personally, I find this to be lacking. Not heavily, since the updates themselves are still cute, but my overall enjoyment of these episodes has been lower than it would have been had they been released later.

Images%20(2)
joined Feb 9, 2016

So, news: 158 is actually main plot but a preview to 159. If you cant wait: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1948193572176848&id=1539451309717745 English subs below the pics.
It is still "sorta" main plot BUT it gives some hope that we will get a resolution

Rsz_tumblr_n3y1mps9e11tr1hgao1_1280
joined Mar 16, 2017

I like that this still gets updates, even lacking story progression, it's nice to see something, least it's not dead. That said, I ache more and more from the anticipation over the fangirl thing that was going on, and not knowing where that is going so I hope things get resolved soon so we can at least close that up, I don't mind an interlude of just random episodes for a few months so much if it's not in the middle of an arc at a cliffhanger. >_<

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

Jess posted:

So, news: 158 is actually main plot but a preview to 159. If you cant wait: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1948193572176848&id=1539451309717745 English subs below the pics.
It is still "sorta" main plot BUT it gives some hope that we will get a resolution

Ohh wow those last 2 panels are pure win

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

So, it turned into a Slice Of Life, instead of building romance between the two.

We already knew they end up together, but come-on, what's important is not the destination, it's the journey.

I could really do with more stories that focused a bit more on the destination. I'm kind of tired of the old "and then they got together the end." It's one of the reasons I really like Kase-san.

But once they are together, the only way to have a "story" is to create drama or conflict. With family/friends/school/rivals/tragedy...

Or it becomes a slice of life : a couple living their day do day lives and doing couple-ey things. At which point, you become a voyeur, because there's no story to speak of. Not everyone's cup of tea.

08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Hummm, I had forgotten about this, I had to go and read ALL of it, it's so cute, it's a shame it hasn't been properly continuing but I won't complain, rather enjoy and well, wait to see what's next.

Sung Jin is the best!!!!

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

But once they are together, the only way to have a "story" is to create drama or conflict. With family/friends/school/rivals/tragedy...

Meh, plenty of stuff that can still go on without any particularly cheesy development. Will they have children? Can they come out at work? Are both planning on working or those one want to be a houswaifu? What happens at university, if they plan to go to one? And if so, both to the same? Maybe they want to move abroad altogether? Yaddayadda.

joined Sep 9, 2016

Well, after that exchange, Sun Jing's timepiece will be immaculate.

kek

Screenshot_2016-12-27-13-58-01-1
joined Mar 23, 2014

I need Sun Jing's confidence level

President%20and%20new%20hire%20profile%20pic%202
joined Sep 27, 2017

So, it turned into a Slice Of Life, instead of building romance between the two.

We already knew they end up together, but come-on, what's important is not the destination, it's the journey.

I could really do with more stories that focused a bit more on the destination. I'm kind of tired of the old "and then they got together the end." It's one of the reasons I really like Kase-san.

Or it becomes a slice of life : a couple living their day do day lives and doing couple-ey things. At which point, you become a voyeur, because there's no story to speak of. Not everyone's cup of tea.

Isn't romance even before the couple gets together more or less already Slice Of Life? You're looking in on the "soon-to-be" couple and their progressing relationship and daily life. Romance is basically a Slice Of Life that focuses on Love. If you dislike as you negatively put it being a "voyeur", why are you reading romance in the first place? Or even any story, you have to look in on some kind of characters and their lives, journey, struggles, progression. You're a viewer of a tale, the audience to a theater play, the fly on the wall.

Also even before a couple gets together there's usually drama/conflict with "family/friends/school/rivals/tragedy", stories of generally every kind have some kind of obstacle(s) to overcome.

I strongly believe part of a romance's "story" can be after they get together. You're still progressing the characters, you're progressing their relationship even further. Sometimes this is a build up to sex, marriage, having children, growing old together. There isn't much of a story if it's just "and they got together, the end", I personally want to know what happens after they get together, what kind of struggles the couple faces and what they overcome, something that really makes me believe in their love and their ability to overcome anything together. That's in my opinion all part of a romance's story, if you choose to go that route.

You then may say well not everyone enjoys that sort of progression. Okay cool, well there are stories that end right after the couple get together, plenty of them exist. There's also the option to stop reading after the couple gets together.
I don't understand why we shouldn't have stories that continue after the couple gets together simply because "some people don't like that". There are people like me who enjoy stories that progress further, I think we should be allowed to enjoy and have those kind of stories. People that aren't a fan of stories that progress in that way can simply go enjoy the many stories that progress in the way they prefer.

Edit: After thinking about it more, I realized there's another element here. After the pair officially become a couple and are no longer just friends or associates their dynamic changes completely, how they interact with each other is changed on a fundamental level. For example their dialog and physical interactions can be more relaxed, because there's no longer that tension and they're able to say how they really feel. There's a lot of various changes you can make to the couple. Actually this new chapter of "Their Story" shows off this kind of change, we see that Sun Jing now teases Qui Tong in a more open and flirty way.

last edited at Mar 9, 2018 3:04AM

Kyuben_shan215
joined Jan 20, 2018

Just marry already

Sena
joined Jun 27, 2017

I don't care what everyone says, this is brilliant.

joined Feb 21, 2018

Brilliant? No, just bipolar.

Chinatsu%202
joined Jan 27, 2016

You're a voyeur to ANY story that doesn't include substantial breaches of the fourth wall. You're always observing the characters without their knowledge or consent.

joined Sep 11, 2014

I like the ocassional slice of life stuff, it makes me happy seeing them end up together and living their lives sweetly. Also look at how bold qiutong gets when they're older, oooooohhhhhh >u>

Yuu
joined Mar 28, 2015

Next:

QT: "How do two girls do it, anyway?"

SJ: "Let me show you..."

F4x-3lwx0aa0tcu31
joined Apr 20, 2013

So the story is actually progressing !! YAAAY now I wonder when they will throw the flashback

Img_0215
joined Jul 29, 2017

Like most regular readers of this series, I would love to see the main story resume, with fully developed scenes involving the main pair as well as the other major characters.

But until then, the cute can just keep on coming.

Purple Library Guy
Kare%20kano%20joker
joined Mar 3, 2013

Hurrah! It's confirmed--current scene is a genuine continuation! And, Qiu Tong being all embarrassed is ludicrously cute!!!

KatzeDerNacht
08f6612130a20845a480034c0567fbe1d8926209_hq
joined Apr 27, 2014

Hurrah! It's confirmed--current scene is a genuine continuation! And, Qiu Tong being all embarrassed is ludicrously cute!!!

Double Hurrah!!!

Untitled-1
joined Feb 12, 2018

this couple are so cute

joined Feb 1, 2013

This series' title really should be changed to "Dorks in Love".

RIkai Uploader
Lazechu%20cut
joined Apr 27, 2014

I strongly believe part of a romance's "story" can be after they get together. You're still progressing the characters, you're progressing their relationship even further. Sometimes this is a build up to sex, marriage, having children, growing old together. There isn't much of a story if it's just "and they got together, the end", I personally want to know what happens after they get together, what kind of struggles the couple faces and what they overcome, something that really makes me believe in their love and their ability to overcome anything together. That's in my opinion all part of a romance's story, if you choose to go that route.

Yeah, to be very honest, I would be happy if we fast forwarded to this future of them living together permanently. TJ has teased adult!QT and adult!SJ from the very beginning, and I love reading stories about grown women who love each other, more than another high school will-they-or-won't-they. Granted, the author has handled the fluff at any stage of their relationship really well, so I'm still happy to read about them at the current timeline, but I'm def more interested in the adult side.

joined Dec 28, 2017

So it truly begins...

To reply you must either login or sign up.