Forum › Tiger & Hummingbird discussion

Bard_smol
joined Jun 12, 2021

Honestly, I can't even be mad at it for the "overpriced clothes good" attitude, since we don't actually know how durable the stuff they sell is. If it's not generic MIC garbo with a fancy label and actually can last a while, then high priced clothes CAN be alright. Aside from that, it's a functional slice of life manga about retail that's hard-carried by good art.

My problem with it is that it doesn't really have focus so far. Too tired to explain shit atm, so that's it.

Cornonthekopp
D05536d6-01d1-4527-9102-4cc772fad5ed
joined Jul 6, 2020

generic white t shirt with a logo for 8900 wtf

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

generic white t shirt with a logo for 8900 wtf

Well, not that it isn't still overpriced, but they were sold in pairs for 8900. That's about 40$ US per shirt at the 2018 exchange rate.

(I also have no idea what kind of fabric they used for those shirts, which might also influence how overpriced they actually are.)

last edited at Jun 5, 2023 5:01PM

Suisoh1el
joined Jul 14, 2021

I've gone and checked MB's blog on ToraHachi and it's a small rant on how store clerks following you around are a dying breed because people started to suspect it's a marketing ploy and have more trust in online customer reviews, and how he wants to show the job in a positive light by explaining the importance of marketing tricks.

The blue striped sweater I'm certain is a sibling of this crime against humanity but I'm slightly disappointed I couldn't find anything looking like the first heels in ch.8. The left shoes from 00042 resemble Toga Pulla designs, if I'm correct in guessing that the whole thing is an advertising brochure for the clothes Studious sells.

Win%202
joined Nov 12, 2020

I wonder what they forced her to wear...

And yes,use that height to your advantage,don't let anyone tell you it ain't a good thing!

25807f2f-52d2-4bcf-84a8-46471290408c
joined May 3, 2022

Excuse me matsuri but we didn’t get to see you in that outfit-

Tag%20rock%20snake
joined Aug 16, 2014

Stop right there criminal scum! You violated the law! Pay the court a fine or serve your sentence, your stolen goods are now forfeit!

Received_330739178846629
joined Jan 15, 2022

That'sssssssome goofy ah theft there

GuiltyBoomerang
20180630_180023-412x427
joined Feb 25, 2014

incoming "thief -> new employee" arc

Sachi_say
joined Feb 21, 2023

Soooo, the subtext part of this manga is literally just the last panel of them having a slight clash of personalities?

Man, it was hard to swallow this "fast fashion good" chapter. Fast fashion is the bane of both the environment and style in general. There's some great docs on this on yt, but the best are from Hasan Minhaj's Patriot Act (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGF3ObOBbac) and Climate Town (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6R_WTDdx7I). Both are funny dudes.

Honestly if they were trying to show her how to be stylish without big spending, they should have stuck with thrift shops because fast fashion doesn't last well after a few washes, even with babying it with laudering bags, specialty soaps, rack drying, etc. Plus this chapter renegs on ideas pushed as good in earlier chapters.

Tl;dr: "Grrr!" -an angry, thrifty lesbian

joined Oct 2, 2021

Meanwhile in Bangladesh where most of this " fashion " is made and the workers are paid peanuts...

last edited at Nov 13, 2023 7:07AM

joined Jun 16, 2023

This might be the chapter that felt the most like a blatant advertisement and was least able to hold my interest.

Capture
joined Aug 12, 2021

You're not going to let her stay here again? Bold words for a yuri manga (and like yes I know its still subtext right now but lets be real here)

last edited at Mar 8, 2024 8:58PM

Kurumi
joined Feb 19, 2023

I'll honestly read anything Yodokawa makes, but this chapter (11) felt like the first interesting one. Some pretty solid subtext... First time visiting her apartment, and they're already getting into domestic bickering like they've been dating for a few months.. <3
And the powerful gap moe of a dependable and diligent senior that is secretly a bit of a slob at home... Getting to stay over at her apartment in exchange for helping her with housework is such a good trope. Hopefully there'll be more of this and less about the high end clothing industry.

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I love that Matsuri's big origin story is "I saw it, and I liked it."

Tron-legacy
joined Dec 11, 2017

I'll honestly read anything Yodokawa makes, but this chapter (11) felt like the first interesting one. Some pretty solid subtext... First time visiting her apartment, and they're already getting into domestic bickering like they've been dating for a few months.. <3
And the powerful gap moe of a dependable and diligent senior that is secretly a bit of a slob at home... Getting to stay over at her apartment in exchange for helping her with housework is such a good trope. Hopefully there'll be more of this and less about the high end clothing industry.

I actually find the whole series kind of weirdly nostalgic. My parents ran a fashion clothing store when I was a kid, so I spent a lot of time scampering around the back rooms while employees were doing all this stuff. But it is nice to have the author actually spend some time exploring the chemistry between the two leads.

joined Aug 21, 2017

Haha what if I stayed over at your place again. And what if I helped you clean your home all domestic style, but in a gal pal way. And my commute is long, so you would really be helping me out if you let me stay over many, many times in the future. As gal pals. Haha.

Kurumi
joined Feb 19, 2023

I actually find the whole series kind of weirdly nostalgic. My parents ran a fashion clothing store when I was a kid, so I spent a lot of time scampering around the back rooms while employees were doing all this stuff. But it is nice to have the author actually spend some time exploring the chemistry between the two leads.

That sounds really nice. There is something about the 'textile' smell in a clothing store that is very soothing to me as well. I have the same thing with stables, lol. The smell of a warm, dusty hayloft is a powerful nostalgia trigger.

Anyway, when reflecting on what I wrote previously, it came across as a bit harsh. It actually is a pretty interesting setting for a love story; kind of OL adjacent. Much more interesting (and less problematic) than another high-schooler romance at least. So that's neat.

last edited at Mar 10, 2024 4:00PM

joined Jul 4, 2018

LETS GO BOYS! WE MADE IT TO FRIENDLY COHABITATION!...

even without any yuri im ngl i kinda find this manga heartwarming

To reply you must either login or sign up.